• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Really? I haven't noticed it yet. I still don't have the Berries to dye a Navy Blue clothing to see the difference.

It's subtle, enough to not know unless you're looking for it but noticeable enough to bug some people.

Ironically I still have no idea what malasadas are or what they even look like! I keep picturing them looking like misshapen blobs. Sort of like Ditto.

Malasadas are a fried pastry with powdered sugar on them. They're very much like jelly donuts, only without the filling (though modern malasadas sometimes have filling). They originated with the Portuguese but became popular in Polynesia and some other Pacific islands, Hawaii included, where they're popularly eaten during Mardi Gras.

They're somewhat smaller than your normal jelly donuts though.

You know I'm honestly surprised that Hau didn't end up getting a heart attack from eating all those things. They're fried dough, so wouldn't eating those every day for your meals be kinda devastating for your health? Idk.

Well, he's still a kid. Kids use up a lot of energy and actually need to consume large amounts of calories per day relative to their size. He'll have to watch his intake when he grows older. Or just eat small amounts of them, which is more important.

Hau honestly suffers quite a bit from Show, don't Tell. Gladion tells us that he has insecurities around his relationship with his grandfather, but we never see that type of relationship shown between the characters, he's supposed to want to surpass his grandfather, but we don't see him make the progression to surpassing Hala, and he's supposed to have taken Lillie getting stolen away pretty hard, but it doesn't visibly affect his mood or behavior throughout the main event and him taking the loss seriously is subtle at best. The fact that we also don't get to see him beat Hala is also something I think is a missed opportunity as I think having that moment in the game would've meant a lot for the character and we could've seen how that success affects him as a character, but we never get that and the only time that really is alluded to is a line from Hau at the league that you may very well not see if you don't rematch the Elite Four. Contrast that to Lillie, who's relationship with her mother is given more onscreen depth and we see the character change from being under her mother's thumb to actually calling her out for her own flaws and behavior.

Admittedly, this is a fault of Pokémon's storytelling in general as they rarely give that type of focus to other characters aside from the protagonist, but I think Hau did suffer for it as his good and interesting traits aren't given as much time and focus to really be strong as a character. I don't think he's terrible, but I do feel of the main characters, he has the a lot about him that is underdeveloped and underutilized.

My impression of Hau is that, for most of the game, he is a Stepford smiler. That is, he is actually an unhappy person but is ashamed of that unhappiness, so he's always smiling and acting cheerfully so people don't realize it. I like to imagine that when he loses to Gladion and smiles and talks about how he just lost again, he's actually stewing on the inside that this random moody boy can repeatedly outdo him.

Increasing the rank is one thing but I find the Festival useful for other things like Bottle Cap farming through Treasure Hunt, clothes dyeing from Dye Shops, and leveling up through Rare Kitchen. It's one of the reasons why I gather FCs. Think of ranking up as a bonus. However the benefits only reaches its full potential when you hit Rank 30, which, as you said, is kinda of a chore. I also wish people would host missions other than type matchups. I admit it's getting quite boring for me.

Same here. That's why I'm doing my own learning about how the other missions work, so I can get a lot of FC out of them.

Celesteela can learn Heavy Slam, and seeing as it's the joint-heaviest Pokemon in the game, that's some serious damage.

Of course, it's either that or Autotomize.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll do it again. Celesteela is very likely based on Japanese folklore, specifically the story "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter". This is likely the reason why it learns so many Grass moves, because Bamboo is a type of plant. It's also based on the Kaguya space shuttle, which explains the rocket aspects.

Well, that and the device Kaguya uses to get to the moon in the legend sounds a lot like a rocketship, so it's been popular in Japan to depict the Kaguya of legend as an astronaut of sorts.

oh yeah I've seen that story on the threads here, didn't realize they were bamboo cutter parents. I personally don't think it was fitting to give Celesteela grass type moves like that still, even if it is based on a moon baby that was found in a bamboo forest... :p

Celesteela resembles bamboo though. Her arms resemble bamboo stalks, and her main body resembles a gigantic bamboo shoot.

Akashin

My impression of Hau is that, for most of the game, he is a Stepford smiler. That is, he is actually an unhappy person but is ashamed of that unhappiness, so he's always smiling and acting cheerfully so people don't realize it. I like to imagine that when he loses to Gladion and smiles and talks about how he just lost again, he's actually stewing on the inside that this random moody boy can repeatedly outdo him.

I don't think so. While there are definitely times when his smiles are fake, he seems to genuinely just enjoy battling for the sake of it and doesn't mind who wins and who loses too much (see his comments on Route 15 and at Aether about not liking battles where you can't afford to lose). He's basically the Judai Yuki of Pokemon, in a way.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Celesteela resembles bamboo though. Her arms resemble bamboo stalks, and her main body resembles a gigantic bamboo shoot.

I've only now realised that Celesteela like looks like a woman. I could never tell what the middle part of it was from looking at its in-game model...

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm still undecided if I like the Ultra Beasts. I still don't exactly understand them too much. They just seem like a gang of strong pokemon that came from a different dimension, which sounds weird to me lol. And they can't be caught with pokeballs yet other interdimensional pokemon can be. I am just trying to get around what is so special about the Ultra Space dimension compared to the other dimensions and why the UB's are stronger than normal pokemon and more of the lore. I don't want to wait till next gen for them to explain them lol and I wish the game did a better job of it.

BCVM22

Given the franchise's penchant for introducing new elements in one generation and then shuffling them to the background in the next generation when they're no longner the focus, Generation VIII isn't overly apt to tell you anything new about the Ultra Beasts.

But that's okay because there really isn't anything they don't tell you. They're powerful Pokémon who came to this world through a wormhole from another dimension. If your reaction to that is "well, is that all? That's boring," I guess you've lead a life of adventure and wonderment and are just very difficult to surprise.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Given the franchise's penchant for introducing new elements in one generation and then shuffling them to the background in the next generation when they're no longner the focus, Generation VIII isn't overly apt to tell you anything new about the Ultra Beasts.

But that's okay because there really isn't anything they don't tell you. They're powerful Pokémon who came to this world through a wormhole from another dimension. If your reaction to that is "well, is that all? That's boring," I guess you've lead a life of adventure and wonderment and are just very difficult to surprise.

No but they will probably wait till the end of the anime to really add anything that we don't know, so waiting till next gen is the same difference as waiting till the end of this gen. I just don't see how the dimension is special compared to others (see original post), why this dimension has stronger beings than other dimensions (see original post)/why they're not pokemon, and why normal pokeballs don't work on them (see original post). Not sure why being curious about those things means I lead a life of adventure and wonderment, but alright... Someone loves the UB's a little too much :p

gliscor&yanmega

No but they will probably wait till the end of the anime to really add anything that we don't know, so waiting till next gen is the same difference as waiting till the end of this gen. I just don't see how the dimension is special compared to others (see original post), why this dimension has stronger beings than other dimensions (see original post)/why they're not pokemon, and why normal pokeballs don't work on them (see original post). Not sure why being curious about those things means I lead a life of adventure and wonderment, but alright... Someone loves the UB's a little too much :p
Pokemon has a habit of being vague on some stuff so people can have their own theories on things.

I don't recall any other Pokemon coming from another dimension though(Besides Giratina) so it's not like we have much to compare with. However what little we know of Ultra Space, it seems to have a harsh enviroment, so the UBs probably had to adapt otherwise die.

Them being Pokemon or not depends on what you consider a Pokemon, they still basically are, more just new species that still need investigating on.

I enjoyed what they did with them. Felt they did a decent job explaining them.

BCVM22

The anime isn't going to tell us anything relevant to the games.

Your questions are almost entirely minutiae that is unlikely to ever be answered too far beyond what we know. As for the rest, again, if your response to something new and different like the Ultra Beasts is "yawn. Boring. I dunno. Why is every little thing about them the way they are?" then clearly there's nothing that's going to surprise you going forward.

Last edited:

Calllack

Just a question: When you battle the Trial Captains in the postgame (I think it's unlockable beforehand, but not sure) you get a little line of text saying "The way [captain] looked in that battle seems to stay in your mind..."
Does this go anywhere? Does it have any meaning?

RDaneel

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Pokemon has a habit of being vague on some stuff so people can have their own theories on things.

I don't recall any other Pokemon coming from another dimension though(Besides Giratina) so it's not like we have much to compare with. However what little we know of Ultra Space, it seems to have a harsh enviroment, so the UBs probably had to adapt otherwise die.

Them being Pokemon or not depends on what you consider a Pokemon, they still basically are, more just new species that still need investigating on.

I enjoyed what they did with them. Felt they did a decent job explaining them.

Ah yeah thats fair about being vague, I just hope they explain these more. It seems like the newer the gen, the less explanation there is in the lore, at least since after gen4 came out.

I think it is interesting that they're trying something new like this, I just want more explanation so I can decide if I like the lore or not. Like I think Heatran is a bit meh due to not having the most exciting lore, but it's still cool due to being in pokemon and at least explains a bit more. Unown are also from a different dimension, there's dimensions that dusklops and dusknoir talk about in their dex entries, and then the mirror world and etc. Although I like how you say it's a harsher environment, which I should have remembered, as to why they're so strong, Thanks for reminding me!

I am interested if it'll ever explain why they reject pokeballs and need the ub balls, although if they're from a harsher environment, maybe the UB ball uses a harsher energy? That'd be a cool explanation!

Since you've brought to light and helped discuss my questions, I think I'm on the liking them side. Some of the design origins are random, I wonder if they're all apart of popular stories in Japan or something. I do like when they have something connecting their themes.
Never thought the idea was boring at all, and no where did I say that, just want more explanations yknow :p Lore's are one of my favorite parts of any story world :D

Last edited:
Ah yeah thats fair about being vague, I just hope they explain these more. It seems like the newer the gen, the less explanation there is in the lore, at least since after gen4 came out.

I think it is interesting that they're trying something new like this, I just want more explanation so I can decide if I like the lore or not. Like I think Heatran is a bit meh due to not having the most exciting lore, but it's still cool due to being in pokemon and at least explains a bit more. Unown are also from a different dimension, there's dimensions that dusklops and dusknoir talk about in their dex entries, and then the mirror world and etc. Although I like how you say it's a harsher environment, which I should have remembered, as to why they're so strong, Thanks for reminding me!

I am interested if it'll ever explain why they reject pokeballs and need the ub balls, although if they're from a harsher environment, maybe the UB ball uses a harsher energy? That'd be a cool explanation!

Since you've brought to light and helped discuss my questions, I think I'm on the liking them side. Some of the design origins are random, I wonder if they're all apart of popular stories in Japan or something. I do like when they have something connecting their themes.
Never thought the idea was boring at all, and no where did I say that, just want more explanations yknow :p Lore's are one of my favorite parts of any story world :D

I agree with you entirely when it comes to lore. So many interesting threads of lore have been suggested, but never explored, and it annoys the hell out of me. Unless Stars resolves this, I will be so annoyed that the idea of Alternate Dimesnions has been shown with Anabel and Zinnia but not explained. Feels like such a tease...

gliscor&yanmega

Never thought the idea was borig at all, and no where did I say that, just want more explanations yknow :p Lore's are one of my favorite parts of any story world :D
I'm pretty sure only Celesteela is based on a Japanese myth, Kartana is based off of origami and pretty sure a katana which are both related to Japan, might have been an intention to make both Japanese related. The other ones have no real connection to Japan from what I know. Both UB2s are based on Bug pests, so again, might have been an intention.

Nothing really connects them all though, some people have tried to bring up Seven Deadly Sins but some cases are stretching it.

Would have been nice if there was a common factor connecting them all but I like all their concepts.

I find they all got their own little quirk that makes them kind of funny, probably unintentionally.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm pretty sure only Celesteela is based on a Japanese myth, Kartana is based off of origami and pretty sure a katana which are both related to Japan, might have been an intention to make both Japanese related. The other ones have no real connection to Japan from what I know. Both UB2s are based on Bug pests, so again, might have been an intention.

Nothing really connects them all though, some people have tried to bring up Seven Deadly Sins but some cases are stretching it.

Would have been nice if there was a common factor connecting them all but I like all their concepts.

I find they all got their own little quirk that makes them kind of funny, probably unintentionally.

Ah the duos being connected, even very slightly, is nice at least. Now I'm even more curious about other connections... I'm sure the revelations will come with time on these threads! I've seen the deadly sins theory, but I didn't think it was solid enough. I love the fan theories though :3 at first I thought they were all common pests or annoyances people have in the world, but that's not really a theme.

I haven't caught any of them except Nihilego, but I've seen Xurkitree in action and he's my fav :) love the way he moves!

Now I'm pumped for catching them, thanks for making me excited about the Ultra Beasts :) funny how someone can make you feel like you shouldn't even have commented and then someone like you comes along and pumps me up :D

The individual designs of the UB's, I do really like. The origami katana one is like 2 ft tall while the kaguya one is 30ft... love the contrast! UB-02 I actually have yet to warm up too but I'm sure it'll come after use, for both of them.

gliscor&yanmega

Ah the duos being connected, even very slightly, is nice at least. Now I'm even more curious about other connections... I'm sure the revelations will come with time on these threads! I've seen the deadly sins theory, but I didn't think it was solid enough. I love the fan theories though :3 at first I thought they were all common pests or annoyances people have in the world, but that's not really a theme.

I haven't caught any of them except Nihilego, but I've seen Xurkitree in action and he's my fav :) love the way he moves!

Now I'm pumped for catching them, thanks for making me excited about the Ultra Beasts :) funny how someone can make you feel like you shouldn't even have commented and then someone like you comes along and pumps me up :D

The individual designs of the UB's, I do really like. The origami katana one is like 2 ft tall while the kaguya one is 30ft... love the contrast! UB-02 I actually have yet to warm up too but I'm sure it'll come after use, for both of them.
Both the UB2s are probably my favorites, I love Bug Pokemon and a muscle man Mosquito and beauty woman Cockroach are just such bizarre concepts but makes them even more interesting to me.

Xurkitree is possibly my next favorite, simply because a bunch of electric cords having a tail is amusing, and yet,it's tail being a plug is just such a great design for it's concept.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I'm not really sold by the ultra beasts myself. The fact that most of them don't really have anything that you could call a face really throws me off. And then by contrast, Pheromosa's human-like shape makes it so different from the others, it's that much weirder by my arbitrary UB standards.

gliscor&yanmega

I'm not really sold by the ultra beasts myself. The fact that most of them don't really have anything that you could call a face really throws me off. And then by contrast, Pheromosa's human-like shape makes it so different from the others, it's that much weirder by my arbitrary UB standards.
Besides Nihilego(Which is a more realistic Jellyfish) and Xurkitree(The thing at top probably is the face), I see everything with some sort of face, mainly weird looking but they all got them for what a face is.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Besides Nihilego(Which is a more realistic Jellyfish) and Xurkitree(The thing at top probably is the face), I see everything with some sort of face, mainly weird looking but they all got them for what a face is.

I don't see a face on Kartana on Celesteela either. Yeah, they have a head of some sort, as does Xurkitree, but that's it. I can kinda sorta pass Buzzwole's stinger as a face and I can't tell what exactly is the face on Guzzlord lol.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I don't see a face on Kartana on Celesteela either. Yeah, they have a head of some sort, as does Xurkitree, but that's it. I can kinda sorta pass Buzzwole's stinger as a face and I can't tell what exactly is the face on Guzzlord lol.

Isn't the circle on Kartana its eyeball? And Celesteela does have a mouth as shown here so there is that least (I just assume that it either doesn't have eyes or are just hidden in a way like Deino).

gliscor&yanmega

Isn't the circle on Kartana its eyeball? And Celesteela does have a mouth as shown here so there is that least (I just assume that it either doesn't have eyes or are just hidden in a way like Deino).

Can't really say for sure what Kartana has, but it could pass as either a mouth and/or an eye, looks weird but overall it technically has a face.

As pointed out Celesteela has a mouth(Hard to see from artwork unless you look close). It's possible those blue circles are meant to be eyes, otherwise, given it's meant to be based on a woman and it essentially has hair, it's possible the "hair" is covering the eyes because of the bangs.

Guzzlord is difficult mainly because it has potentially two faces, one on its stomach and another on the little head it has.

They all just have abnormal faces, which just helps reinforce them being mysterious creatures from another dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.