• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Well, or those "Pokemon Stars" rumors about it featuring a handful of new Pokemon are true.

A Gen 7.5 if you will *dodges flying eggs and tomatoes*

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well, or those "Pokemon Stars" rumors about it featuring a handful of new Pokemon are true.

A Gen 7.5 if you will *dodges flying eggs and tomatoes*

Except the Eurogamer rumor specifies a 2017 release, so that would mean the Eurogamer rumor is wrong. But at this point, at least something about that rumor is most likely wrong anyway.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Except the Eurogamer rumor specifies a 2017 release, so that would mean the Eurogamer rumor is wrong. But at this point, at least something about that rumor is most likely wrong anyway.

Why does a 2017 release date make it wrong? We're still within the window of opportunity for a game to be announced for release later this year.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Why does a 2017 release date make it wrong? We're still within the window of opportunity for a game to be announced for release later this year.

I mean, it's kind of obvious. The Eurogamer rumor specified a 2017 release date for Stars. If Stars is Gen 7.5 in 2018, then Eurogamer is wrong.

What makes the whole thing unlikely now is that we have no event Pokemon for 2017, which implies that 2018 is Gen 8. Gen 8 being the game after Stars defeats the purpose of having Stars be a Switch game, that would make sense if Gen 8 wasn't ready for a few more years but not if it's coming immediately after.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I don't really see how having no more event Pokemon signifies the end of a generation.

BCVM22

People continuing to cling to the concept of "generation-point-five is"... puzzling, at best? Maybe by the time we don't get a 7.5 or an 8.5 it'll pass.

I don't really see how having no more event Pokemon signifies the end of a generation.

In and of itself, it doesn't. Sometimes it seems that our collective station is to overreact to anything and everything by making countless baseless assertions as to what it all means, most of which will be proven wrong eventually, or at least won't be proven right for those reasons.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I mean, it's kind of obvious. The Eurogamer rumor specified a 2017 release date for Stars. If Stars is Gen 7.5 in 2018, then Eurogamer is wrong.

What makes the whole thing unlikely now is that we have no event Pokemon for 2017, which implies that 2018 is Gen 8. Gen 8 being the game after Stars defeats the purpose of having Stars be a Switch game, that would make sense if Gen 8 wasn't ready for a few more years but not if it's coming immediately after.

If we're going with the idea of Gen 7.5, then Stars could be 2017, and 2018 or 2019 could have Gen VII Sinnoh remakes, making Gen VIII 2019 or 2020. The apparent lack of event Legendaries would be solved by the very nature of a Gen 7.5 game, as it would introduce a new event Pokemon.

People continuing to cling to the concept of "generation-point-five is"... puzzling, at best? Maybe by the time we don't get a 7.5 or an 8.5 it'll pass.

I don't know about other people, but I just love the idea so much and really want to see it happen. I'm totally willing to admit it's not likely, but right now it does seem like a possible, even if unlikely, solution to situation caused by running out of event Legendaries, so I'm speculating about it.

BCVM22

And I think half the problem is we continue to mistakenly conflate "I really want this to happen" with "this could happen" to varying degrees, as if the former somehow boosts the chances of the latter.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And I think half the problem is we continue to mistakenly conflate "I really want this to happen" with "this could happen" to varying degrees, as if the former somehow boosts the chances of the latter.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time it's not impossible for to happen, so it could happen, it's just a question of how likely it is. When we're in a strange situation that we've never been in before (which seems to be a pretty common occurrence these days), and there is at least some logic for a .5 generation to exist, I like to speculate on how it may be the factor that makes everything else make a little more sense. Maybe my fondness of the idea makes me bring it up more than I would otherwise, but I don't believe it fools me into thinking it's anymore likely. Or maybe I'm just deluding myself.

BCVM22

and there is at least some logic for a .5 generation to exist

There isn't, though. It's born of this reflex we have when we finish a decent game, that there must be more, because that can't possibly be it.

I certainly can't stop you from believing as you like and I won't belabor the point further, but I do think if people took a step back and determined how much (i.e. how little) of the idea makes sense and how much of it is built on a foundation of "but I want it to happen," what little basis there is for the idea to begin with would evaporate even further.

Last edited:

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
If we're going with the idea of Gen 7.5, then Stars could be 2017, and 2018 or 2019 could have Gen VII Sinnoh remakes, making Gen VIII 2019 or 2020. The apparent lack of event Legendaries would be solved by the very nature of a Gen 7.5 game, as it would introduce a new event Pokemon.

I don't know about other people, but I just love the idea so much and really want to see it happen. I'm totally willing to admit it's not likely, but right now it does seem like a possible, even if unlikely, solution to situation caused by running out of event Legendaries, so I'm speculating about it.
Too much time and discussion has been wasted on pandering the idea of a "Generation .5".
Even if game freak were to introduce new event pokemon in the next installments and nothing more- that would not constitute a new half or quarter of a generation. Much in the same way that Mega-Diancie and Hoopa Unbound did not have people up in arms about a gen 6.5 despite only being added in ORAS.
The only reason the speculation of a "Gen 7.5" arose was due to XY's noticeably lower number of new pokemon compared to previous installments (And the forms that became prevalent in the end of the XYZ anime arc). But as the release of Sun and Moon has confirmed- generations introducing less than 100 new pokemon is not something to be speculative about.

Kein

AKA Silktree
If they added just one new mythical Pokemon to the next games, it wouldn't make them "7.5". It would be akin to Spiky-eared Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu.

But I think it's more likely that an old mythical or two will get new forms. Even the current movie is unabashedly focusing on Ho-Oh rather than Marshadow, so the idea that new mythicals are pivotal to anything is pretty ridiculous.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
There isn't, though. It's born of this reflex we have when we finish a decent game, that there must be more, because that can't possibly be it.

I certainly can't stop you from believing as you like and I won't belabor the point further, but I do think if people took a step back and determined how much (i.e. how little) of the idea makes sense and how much of it is built on a foundation of "but I want it to happen," what little basis there is for the idea to begin with would evaporate even further.

Sure, but on the other hand, there's not really any real reason, at least that I can think of, that Game Freak would be against the idea of a .5 generation. And in some ways, it almost seems like it could be the natural progression of the third version. Of course, saying there's no reason it couldn't exist is a far cry from saying there are reasons it should exist, but it is a start.

Even if game freak were to introduce new event pokemon in the next installments and nothing more- that would not constitute a new half or quarter of a generation. Much in the same way that Mega-Diancie and Hoopa Unbound did not have people up in arms about a gen 6.5 despite only being added in ORAS.

It may not, but it would show that they're willing to add new Pokemon mid-genration, which is perhaps the biggest barrier in the way of .5 generation.

The only reason the speculation of a "Gen 7.5" arose was due to XY's noticeably lower number of new pokemon compared to previous installments (And the forms that became prevalent in the end of the XYZ anime arc). But as the release of Sun and Moon has confirmed- generations introducing less than 100 new pokemon is not something to be speculative about.

True, but also worth noting is that there likely was a Z Version that got canceled, and who knows what they were planning for that. Maybe, if they were considering a Gen 6.5 in Z, but cancelled it in favor of Sun and Moon, they might decide to move the concept to Gen VII. Now if we get a third version this generation, and it doesn't have Gen 7.5, I'll probably drop the idea, at least until a better reason shows up, but for now I at least like to entertain the possibility.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Aren't there still plenty of other events that we still need to get besides Marshadow? We also never got Hidden Ability Raikou, Entei, and Suicune for instance. Or the Hidden Ability Tapu's. Or Oranguru and Passimian. I'm also expecting Mew at some point in the future. Not much point in giving out Mewnium Z if you can't even legally obtain Mew anymore outside of link trade.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'm also expecting Mew at some point in the future. Not much point in giving out Mewnium Z if you can't even legally obtain Mew anymore outside of link trade.

Mew was distributed in Japan until end of last month. So that would be unnecessary(we haven't had a redistribution of Legendary Beasts and Celebi in Gen V either due to movie events.)

Edit: As for the Legendary Beasts, they will be automatically released when GSC drops to VC(we know they will due to index numbers in the game.)

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Because new mythicals are constantly released yearly as a way of promoting movies and they have nothing else to promote for Gen 7. It's extremely rare that we don't have a year with a new mythical, the only time that's happened in the last 10 years is in Movie 11. That's a pretty consistent pattern if ever there was one.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Because new mythicals are constantly released yearly as a way of promoting movies and they have nothing else to promote for Gen 7. It's extremely rare that we don't have a year with a new mythical, the only time that's happened in the last 10 years is in Movie 11. That's a pretty consistent pattern if ever there was one.

But are Mythicals necessary? Can't they release a movie featuring other Gen 7 Pokemon, or perhaps a new form/e?
"Pattern" is no longer a strong argument nowadays considering Pokemon has broken a lot of "traditions".

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
But are Mythicals necessary? Can't they release a movie featuring other Gen 7 Pokemon, or perhaps a new form/e?
"Pattern" is no longer a strong argument nowadays considering Pokemon has broken a lot of "traditions".

Yep. Pokemon has broken a lot of traditions as of late. There was no "third version" or anything similar in Gen 6. SM removed Gyms and HMs and made the box legends be a part of an evolution chain.

Kein

AKA Silktree
The people who think that Generation 6.5 was ever in the cards need a firm reality check. SM were planned from 2013; the Strange Souvenir is ample proof of that.

It's extremely rare that we don't have a year with a new mythical, the only time that's happened in the last 10 years is in Movie 11. That's a pretty consistent pattern if ever there was one.
Every generation has lasted 3-4 years. That's a pretty consistent pattern if ever there was one. Oh, and Movie 11 had Shaymin; it's Movie 14 and Movie 16 that merely showcased Victini and Genesect around a year after their game debuts.

We simply don't need that many new mythicals anymore. The next games introducing forms for old mythicals/legendaries and maybe a new mythical all make far more sense than what you're suggesting. You don't see that because you're biased towards the idea of wrapping up this generation early, just as you were biased towards extending the previous generation. There is no consistency in your logic over the years, but the picture is clear once bias is accounted for.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
if you define new Megas as new Pokémon, as some insist they are, then ORAS was 6.5

Hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't put it past GF to cheat and put in new Alola forms or whatever that add new Pokémon without upping the Dex count

Status
Not open for further replies.