• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Depends on if you have the proper breeding materials beforehand, which is to say in gen 6.

You won't be THAT far behind since you can SOS chain grind for Dittos with good IVs, but you will definitely wish you could start immediately, since the Destiny Knot is locked behind a 48 BP wall... which you earn by battling in the Battle Tree and Battle Royale. Which largely requires competitive pokemon.

...it helps to just Wonder Trade for a while.

Or catch a bunch of Pick Up Pokemon and fish for Destiny Knot.

Today I realised you need to enable communication with Guests, VIP's and Friends to collect friend coin bonus for trading. I just want to level up in piece without random people asking for link trades every five seconds.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No, what we saw was foreshadowing. We know from interviews that SM only entered its actual development cycle after Ohmori was done with ORAS in late 2014. That's how ridiculous your theory is.

Source? I'm looking at interviews and seeing no mention of when SM entered development.

Ishihara saying that the Switch is a very different system that will taking getting used to isn't meaningless PR.

Yes it is. No PR statement can really be trusted, especially one that's used to explain the lack of an announcement. They say anything and everything to explain away the lack of announcement, so it may not take as much getting used to as you're assuming.

Except we've never had three consecutive games that included two different sets of initial versions. Platinum-HGSS-BW and B2W2-XY-ORAS are much different beasts than what you're suggesting.

Not really a different beast because you're still working with just two different gameplay engines, so the second 7th gen game should go quick. Especially if it actually is Stars, since then the two games can pretty much be worked on at the same time seeing as they're basically the same game.

If they revisit Kanto/Johto/Sinnoh in the next games, it stands to reason that old legendaries will become relevant. For heaven's sake: They're already promoting Ho-Oh over Marshadow.

It's not a matter of them becoming relevant. It's about having something new to market. If all they have is a handful of new forms, then there's not going to be a lot of interest.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Source? I'm looking at interviews and seeing no mention of when SM entered development.
Here you go: "Masuda reminisced on how Satoshi Tajiri was the director of Red and Green, then handed that position to him afterwards. The important points on making a brand new game are how to insert the world setting and gameplay, and challenging technical things that should be done. Masuda would like to pass on that spirit of challenge to the next era, which was why after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire ended, Masuda asked Omori to ‘do the next brand-new game.’"

Did you really not figure this out using common sense? Ohmori couldn't direct two projects simultaneously.

so it may not take as much getting used to as you're assuming.
It's HD development with which they have little to no experience. Add that to the recent recruiting and I see no reason not to take the quote at face value.

Not really a different beast because you're still working with just two different gameplay engines, so the second 7th gen game should go quick. Especially if it actually is Stars, since then the two games can pretty much be worked on at the same time seeing as they're basically the same game.
Seriously? The Generation IV engine was already in place two years before the Platinum-HGSS-BW cycle started, and likewise for the next generation before B2W2-XY-ORAS started. You're suggesting that SM were developed alongside the next generation...

It's not a matter of them becoming relevant. It's about having something new to market. If all they have is a handful of new forms, then there's not going to be a lot of interest.
Again with passing off your own opinion as fact.

Besides, it is hardly impossible for a new mythical to be added to this generation.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The next game definitely needs new Alolan Pokémon. There are so many that are just perfect to get new forms that fit the region. Specifically Vileplume and Bellossom, Lilligant (not likely since it is part of the Alolan Dex), Tropius, and Chatot.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I am thinking about picking up Sun in a couple of weeks.

How far behind would I be if I want to become a competitive battler?

if you do get gen 7 in a few weeks and you already have an existing gen6 game and free BP stored on a PKbank app then 48 BP for destiny knot is easy. its easier for you now since PKbank has been made compatible with gen7. before that, the 48BP wall was very annoying to climb over. i dont play competitively but i do know that the previous gen6 pkmn style has changed enough with the newer ones introduced and you always need to factor those Z moves into the battles. they're very strong moves even if its a resisted hit, its changed how fast the battle's favor can turn. i like to play a more casual battle and even there Z moves VS me have wrecked me even though i dont like/want to use them. if you want to be competitive in gen7 then i suggest you get used to Z moves and either use them or have a efficient way of dealing with them.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I am thinking about picking up Sun in a couple of weeks.

How far behind would I be if I want to become a competitive battler?

Depends on if you have the proper breeding materials beforehand, which is to say in gen 6.

You won't be THAT far behind since you can SOS chain grind for Dittos with good IVs, but you will definitely wish you could start immediately, since the Destiny Knot is locked behind a 48 BP wall... which you earn by battling in the Battle Tree and Battle Royale. Which largely requires competitive pokemon.

Also Hatch 20 eggs ASAP!!!!
Just did the hatching on SM, and wow the fricken IV judge is now on your PC and it's amazing and straightforward. Can't believe they actually made it that simple for us newbies to the competitive scene :D

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I still say that they need to do "interact with as many Plaza guests as you can during the mission period". Those guests that appear in your Plaza and those you speak to after you had battled or traded with should both apply.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I still say that they need to do "interact with as many Plaza guests as you can during the mission period". Those guests that appear in your Plaza and those you speak to after you had battled or traded with should both apply.

I'd love this but damn I need some good tent fortunes...

Karrio

Thanks.

Sadly. I lost Pokemon X and never did get ORAS (Stupid real life lol).

So basically, I will be starting from scratch.

Satoshi & Touko

I'm personally kind of meh on the upcoming Poke-beans global mission. It's something I do naturally so I haven't much really to work for. And it seems there is sort of a cap on how many Poke-beans you can harvest per day.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's not too bad, I jumped straight from Emerald to Sun on the handhelds. I don't have everything and I obviously lack a lot of legendaries from previous generations, but if you look at the competitions they generally only allow pokémon from Alola anyway. The primary thing you're missing for Alola-only competitions is access to some Egg moves, like Skill Swap on Alakazam (Move Tutor in ORAS, now Egg move but only possible parent is Alakazam line), Earth Power on Hydreigon, and ExtremeSpeed on Dragonite. But even in those cases you can possibly trade for them, and they're pretty rare. And I think Hydreigon is banned in the competitions anyway as it's not in the Alola dex. Breeding is remarkably easy in Sun and Hyper Training allows even pokémon with not too good IV's to be upgraded to become competitive.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
though cant you just bring a gen6 dragonite to gen7 and pass down extreme speed to a gen7 dratini?

cassius335

Aura Trainer
Huh. In my Festival Plaza, people have gone from "I found this place by accident" to "I happened to be in the neighbourhood". Wile the latter certainly makes more sense, I'm confused as to why this has changed. Is this a thing for getting lots of FC? (I currently have 13,671 total, 6,872 spendable).

Satoshi & Touko

Huh. In my Festival Plaza, people have gone from "I found this place by accident" to "I happened to be in the neighbourhood". Wile the latter certainly makes more sense, I'm confused as to why this has changed. Is this a thing for getting lots of FC? (I currently have 13,671 total, 6,872 spendable).

That's kinda weird. I'm not getting that. I still get "I found ... by accident".

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?

Do you think it could be from street passing?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
though cant you just bring a gen6 dragonite to gen7 and pass down extreme speed to a gen7 dratini?

That's possible, but it's pretty much the only thing you'll need to transfer for to gen7 for the Alola battle competitions (as in, something that's legal but unavailable with Sun/Moon alone). I personally don't have any gen6 game so I had to find someone else with ExtremeSpeed Dratini. And even if I buy a gen6 game now I still can't get my own ExtremeSpeed Dratini on there, I think it only comes from the HGSS Dratini from Dragon's Den. And I'm not even sure if HGSS is still being sold.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
That's possible, but it's pretty much the only thing you'll need to transfer for to gen7 for the Alola battle competitions (as in, something that's legal but unavailable with Sun/Moon alone). I personally don't have any gen6 game so I had to find someone else with ExtremeSpeed Dratini. And even if I buy a gen6 game now I still can't get my own ExtremeSpeed Dratini on there, I think it only comes from the HGSS Dratini from Dragon's Den. And I'm not even sure if HGSS is still being sold.

i bred a more than a few e-speed dratini HA back in gen 6 and even got a HA e-speed a few weeks back in sun WT. im not the type that sells a game in order to get the newer version. TBH if i did do that and sell off my gen6 games for gen7 then id be really ticked off as gen7 isnt what it was hyped up to be (atleast to me).

wow, i dont actually use dratini line so i never really noticed how hard it might be to get E-speed on in the first place.

i still think that a few stores locally ie walmart do have some old back-stock that they're trying to sell even now but its getting harder to find. i just dont have a way to transport gen4 to gen 5 as i dont have a gen5 game atm. about 6-8 months after XY's release i got both HG and X. though i only found a french version of HG which is still fine with me as i live in a bilingual city and only the pkmn names mess me up at times. i wanted to find a replacement for my pkmn Silver as i cant bother to switch out the original battery from the Silver cartridge and just went to gen4 like that.

Last edited:

Dr. Eeviil

If you have Pokemon Bank, which you need to transfer anyway, you get BP just for having pokemon stored. I had 500-600 BP when I got Moon just from Bank.

Do you think it could be from street passing?

Yes, it is. One of the guys I work with plays too, and he showed up as "in the neighborhood" in my festival plaza. I've had a couple other random people show up that way after trips to the mall as well.

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Man, the red bar that's supposed to appear on the top part of your 3DS's bottom screen when some Plaza mission(s) are ongoing really never seems to want to work anymore, even when there are guests' in the listing saying that they are "participating in a mission".

Edit: I hope someone posts again in the "Share your character's fashion" thread again soon. My next outfit gallery is almost done.

Edit 2: Gallery complete. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.