• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius335

Aura Trainer
Yes, it is. One of the guys I work with plays too, and he showed up as "in the neighborhood" in my festival plaza. I've had a couple other random people show up that way after trips to the mall as well.

Ah. That makes sense, Was weird getting a whole session of "in the neighbourhood", though.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
That's possible, but it's pretty much the only thing you'll need to transfer for to gen7 for the Alola battle competitions (as in, something that's legal but unavailable with Sun/Moon alone). I personally don't have any gen6 game so I had to find someone else with ExtremeSpeed Dratini. And even if I buy a gen6 game now I still can't get my own ExtremeSpeed Dratini on there, I think it only comes from the HGSS Dratini from Dragon's Den. And I'm not even sure if HGSS is still being sold.

If you really needed a copy of HGSS in order to breed an Extreme Speed Dratini for a Sun and Moon team, there are plenty of GameStop locations selling used and totally functional copies. Just know you'd have to have a Gen 5 game as well, and a way to transfer between Gen 4 and Gen 5; I think you can transfer from Gen 5 straight to bank regardless of whether you have a Gen 6 game so you can skip those.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
If you really needed a copy of HGSS in order to breed an Extreme Speed Dratini for a Sun and Moon team, there are plenty of GameStop locations selling used and totally functional copies. Just know you'd have to have a Gen 5 game as well, and a way to transfer between Gen 4 and Gen 5; I think you can transfer from Gen 5 straight to bank regardless of whether you have a Gen 6 game so you can skip those.

Yeah, you can still buy them, depending on location, but they're expensive and GameStop is US only. In the EU you can get them from German Amazon, but it's like €50 for HeartGold, which is outrageous for such an old game (Omega Ruby costs €35 by comparison, Alpha Sapphire is €40, for new). And Soul Silver is even more expensive, €57 at Amazon Germany. And that's only used. If you want a new one you're looking at €220 for Soul Silver at Amazon Germany or €240 for Heart Gold.

You can also get them at Amazon UK. HeartGold is 62 pounds there for a new one, or 53 pounds for a used one. SoulSilver is 147 pounds for a new one or 52 pounds for a used one. And Alpha Sapphire costs 27 pounds new here, Omega Ruby is 29.50 pounds for new.

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Yeah, you can still buy them, depending on location, but they're expensive and GameStop is US only. In the EU you can get them from German Amazon, but it's like €50 for HeartGold, which is outrageous for such an old game (Omega Ruby costs €35 by comparison, Alpha Sapphire is €40, for new). And Soul Silver is even more expensive, €57 at Amazon Germany. And that's only used. If you want a new one you're looking at €220 for Soul Silver at Amazon Germany or €240 for Heart Gold.

You can also get them at Amazon UK. HeartGold is 62 pounds there for a new one, or 53 pounds for a used one. SoulSilver is 147 pounds for a new one or 52 pounds for a used one. And Alpha Sapphire costs 27 pounds new here, Omega Ruby is 29.50 pounds for new.

Yikes, that is really expensive. So glad I have them both already. I've seen preowned copies in a game store near where I work and they were £50 which I thought was insane but if everywhere is selling them for similar prices then it doesn't look as bad. I wonder what makes them so expensive in comparison to other games.

EDIT: It seems they're expensive everywhere in every language. Just looked up prices for the japanese versions and they range from about £90 to £160 as well. No idea if those are new or preowned however.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Copies of DS games from 2009 are very unlikely to be new at this late date. Everything will go through the secondary market, leading to inflated prices and, in the case of many websites, counterfeit merchandise.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Copies of DS games from 2009 are very unlikely to be new at this late date. Everything will go through the secondary market, leading to inflated prices and, in the case of many websites, counterfeit merchandise.

ive checked some big box stores recently and they long since booted any gen5 games from the shelves while trying to find a copy of the game. your post did give me a great idea where i might be able to find a copy of the game somewhere in the city. there are a few flea markets in the city and i did purchase games from there in the past. i'll likely search that place for a gen5 game as i have for the most part am tired out of the gen7 game. i do make efforts to breed pet projects and keep getting the megastones, i also do make an effort on the high level plaza but not too much else gets my attention these days if im not in the mood to play gen7.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think GF is making the switch (pun intended) because two Switches cannot link together without an internet connection. That's right, if GameFreak wants to make a Switch game, they would have to remove local trading and battling, which is one of the main parts of the franchise. This would also mean that you would have to pay real money in order to battle and trade with other people.

BCVM22

I don't think GF is making the switch (pun intended) because two Switches cannot link together without an internet connection.

What? No.

"Up to eight Switch Consoles can be connected in a wireless ad hoc network for local multiplayer games, and multiple players can play on each of the connected Switches."

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...do-switch-specs-32gb-720p-screen-battery-life

For those who aren't familiar with the term, it means up to 8 Switch Consoles can connect together wirelessly without the use of a central wireless router or Internet connection.

It might do local multiplayer differently than the 3DS, but it does it just as well if not better.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I found something else out that could be disastrous for Pokemon on the Switch. The saved games are saved onto the console itself instead of the cartridge. This means that all your Pokemon and saved data will be lost forever if your system is damaged. Releasing Pokemon Bank might alleviate this issue, but it's a paid application.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I found something else out that could be disastrous for Pokemon on the Switch. The saved games are saved onto the console itself instead of the cartridge. This means that all your Pokemon and saved data will be lost forever if your system is damaged. Releasing Pokemon Bank might alleviate this issue, but it's a paid application.

...How is this any different from how the 3DS / cartridge handles the save data, anyway? And for god's sake, you're criticizing a paid application that essentially charges you 5 chocolate bars in a whole year.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Five quid is honestly nothing...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

You're speaking as if Pokemon is special compared to any other game that is on or might be on the Switch. The same can be said about literally any Switch game (or Wii U and Wii for that matter). What makes this a problem for Pokemon, but not for Mario, Zelda, etc?

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
You're speaking as if Pokemon is special compared to any other game that is on or might be on the Switch. The same can be said about literally any Switch game (or Wii U and Wii for that matter). What makes this a problem for Pokemon, but not for Mario, Zelda, etc?

Given the amount of time that needs to be devoted to making competitive ready Pokemon (or if you have any emotional attachments to a certain Pokemon) if said Pokemon are on the Switch and something goes wrong with it, all your hard work just went down the drain. It is even harder losing Pokemon you are attached to as you cannot recreate experiences you had with said Pokemon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Reggie has pretty much hinted that a cloud service is in the works. Someone had sent their Switch for repairs after losing their data, but when it came back, all of the data was "magically" restored.

...And for goodness' sake, I doubt little children will want to pay an extra $20 to use online. The main bulk of the series is staying on handhelds. If something real important comes out for the Switch, it'll surely be another Pokemon Colosseum-kind of thing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Given the amount of time that needs to be devoted to making competitive ready Pokemon (or if you have any emotional attachments to a certain Pokemon) if said Pokemon are on the Switch and something goes wrong with it, all your hard work just went down the drain. It is even harder losing Pokemon you are attached to as you cannot recreate experiences you had with said Pokemon.

The point I was trying to make was more along the line of it's not an issue because it's not going to happen enough to matter. I realize how devastating losing your Pokemon save data could be, but it's just not going to happen commonly enough for it to be an issue. If anything, I feel like you're probably more likely to lose the tiny game cartridge than you are to damage you system.

Or if you want another comparison, it's no different than getting a digital download of a Pokemon game on the 3DS. The save data is directly tied to system in that case as well.

...And for goodness' sake, I doubt little children will want to pay an extra $20 to use online. The main bulk of the series is staying on handhelds. If something real important comes out for the Switch, it'll surely be another Pokemon Colosseum-kind of thing.

So even putting aside the more controversial idea of "Stars" on the Switch, you don't think that Gen VIII will be on the Switch? Seeing as the Switch is, for all intents and purposes, a handheld, and the 3DS is at the end of its life span, I see little reason to doubt that Gen VIII will be on the Switch. There's really no reason to stay on the 3DS at all.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So even putting aside the more controversial idea of "Stars" on the Switch, you don't think that Gen VIII will be on the Switch? Seeing as the Switch is, for all intents and purposes, a handheld, and the 3DS is at the end of its life span, I see little reason to doubt that Gen VIII will be on the Switch. There's really no reason to stay on the 3DS at all.

There is. The 3DS has two screens. That's all the difference it needs instead of being a portable PS3 with no love. Plus, there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people on that one that profits would be massive in one week alone.

On another note, the team that works on the main Pokemon games? They haven't really done a console title. Ever.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The 3DS has two screens.

So? Pokemon used to only be on one screen, and there really isn't anything about it that absolutely needs the second screen. For battles, just overlay the UI onto the battle screen. No big deal. As for the overworld, it's never really used the bottom screen to any high degree. In Sun and Moon it's just a map. That can be removed with ease.

Plus, there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people on that one that profits would be massive in one week alone.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Are you claiming that the number of people on the 3DS would lead to better sales? If so, maybe that's true, but that's also the case anytime a console changeover happens. Doesn't mean they should stay on the old console.

On another note, the team that works on the main Pokemon games? They haven't really done a console title. Ever.

There's a first time for everything.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion

Okay, but the same goes for plenty of other games. Think about how they're developing a main series Fire Emblem title for the Switch - lots of time investment, lots of character interaction, the whole thing. Very similar reasons to avoid it - and yet, they're doing it.

Claiming that there are problems with translating the Pokemon experience to a new console, when that console may very well be the only one for a few years if the handheld and home divisions do merge, only inhibits progress and innovation within the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.