• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Welp, now we know why.

Lillie's bag - 11.5cm by 19cm.

Cosmog - 20 cm

Conclusion: Nebby get in bag? How 'bout get a bigger bag you cruel person

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

I would say not really, though I wouldn't completely throw the tiniest bit of probability away.

The month of May has the most games announced by GF.

GS - November 1997
Crystal - Q3 2000
RS - March 2002
FRLG - September 2003
Emerald - July 2004
DP - October 2004
Platinum - May 2008
HGSS - May 2009
BW - April 2010
B2W2 - February 2012
XY - January 2013
ORAS - May 2014
SM - February 2016

They never announce a main series Pokemon game in E3.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
They just couldn't give a Lycanroc away that had Dynamic Punch, could they. I understand not wanting to make carbon copies of Machamp and Golurk, but Fire Fang?! It's not even Fire Punch!

Really wish Game Freak would have split this evolution sonehow, or just made two seperate lines. The thing's totally a mess and I dig EdgeLordRoc over rehular Lycanroc. /smh

Dynamic Punch Lycanroc would have been pretty cool. I would have gotten one had it known that but as it just appears to be a normal Lycanroc, I'll give this event a miss. Shame there is nothing special about it meaning there is no reason to get it if you play Moon version like I do and can make the exact same Lycanroc by breeding. I suppose it having its HA is a plus for those who don't have one yet but other than that I don't see the point in it.

Would much rather have the shiny Tapu Koko event instead.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
They just couldn't give a Lycanroc away that had Dynamic Punch, could they. I understand not wanting to make carbon copies of Machamp and Golurk, but Fire Fang?! It's not even Fire Punch!

Really wish Game Freak would have split this evolution sonehow, or just made two seperate lines. The thing's totally a mess and I dig EdgeLordRoc over rehular Lycanroc. /smh

Believe it or not, I was one of the few people who wanted Lycanroc to be two separate lines. Even to this day I sometimes wonder why they aren't two different Pokémon...

I find this new Lycanroc event disappointing in my eyes. While it does have two egg moves and it's HA which is nice, it's HA is already obtainable in game and egg moves are easy to breed onto (for the most part). It doesn't even have a exclusive move to make it stand out; maybe they could have given it a move which takes advantage of No Guard, like Dynamic Punch already mentioned. They could have even made it shiny to be worth something. But nope, this is pretty much just a normal midnight Lycanroc otherwise.

I know this is for the new TCG set coming out, but do you know what else is a main Pokémon in the set? Tapu Koko. I would have rather had the shiny Tapu Koko instead of a regular midnight Lycanroc.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Believe it or not, I was one of the few people who wanted Lycanroc to be two separate lines. Even to this day I sometimes wonder why they aren't two different Pokémon...

I find this new Lycanroc event disappointing in my eyes. While it does have two egg moves and it's HA which is nice, it's HA is already obtainable in game and egg moves are easy to breed onto (for the most part). It doesn't even have a exclusive move to make it stand out; maybe they could have given it a move which takes advantage of No Guard, like Dynamic Punch already mentioned. They could have even made it shiny to be worth something. But nope, this is pretty much just a normal midnight Lycanroc otherwise.

I know this is for the new TCG set coming out, but do you know what else is a main Pokémon in the set? Tapu Koko. I would have rather had the shiny Tapu Koko instead of a regular midnight Lycanroc.
Agreed, a disappointing giveaway really since everything about it can be achieved through some simple breeding/trading. Honestly the most standout thing about the event is probably the free Life Orb.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight

Apart from saving the hassle of scouting for the Rockruff's line HA the hard way in SOS Battles, agree the event is quite underwhelming. Also agree the shiny Tapu Koko is much more exciting for a TCG set tie-in.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
So the event is out. Still a bit miffed we get a plain old Lycanroc as opposed to something decent like shiny Tapu Koko. Does anyone know if this Lycanroc comes with any guaranteed IVs or is it just going to have the same garbage stats as all the past non-legendary events? I know the Munchlax didn't come with any. Still, not going to bother with it either way. Already got my own 5IV Lycanroc with all the egg moves and HA, and I can at least nickname mine.

Still waiting for the shiny Tapu Koko, Game Freak. Releasing the theme for it but not the Pokemon itself is really insulting to your fan base especially when all you give is instead is Pokemon we can easily get ourselves, and get better, in about an hour.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Yeah, it's really disappointing. I'm not even sure if I'll pick it up. Maybe it'll be worth something later down the line for collectors as it has the red event ball and a classic ribbon, but for actual usage it's pretty much nothing special. And I don't think many people will trade cooler event pokémon like Ice Body Regice for it.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm upset about this. This Lycanroc is just like any Lycanroc you can get in the games with an additional ribbon and Cherish Ball. They should have distributed the Shiny Tapu Koko. But, that's something they want to keep exclusive to Asia just like all of the other cool legendary events. ;-;

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I would say not really, though I wouldn't completely throw the tiniest bit of probability away.

GS - November 1997
Crystal - Q3 2000
RS - March 2002
FRLG - September 2003
Emerald - July 2004
DP - October 2004
Platinum - May 2008
HGSS - May 2009
BW - April 2010
B2W2 - February 2012
XY - January 2013
ORAS - May 2014
SM - February 2016

But we should note that one of those instances was a game that was actually released that year outside of Japan, and that was ORAS (a remake).

A Sun and Moon third version - yes, almost certainly named Stars - isn't totally infeasible for this year, and I don't think we need to give to much weight to how GameFreak has announced in the past, but from how they traditionally treat a Pokemon release it doesn't seem that it's super likely. Plus, only Platinum out of these three was announced after the 7th of May, and, well, that's today.

There's a limit to how small the gap between announcement and release can realistically be in order for the next game(s) to be reasonably profitable. However, I think that it's likely that a "Stars" title would require a lot less development and production cost, and would probably sell pretty well almost without exception, given that Sun and Moon are almost definitely the best selling titles on their console (pending the next official update). E3 wouldn't really be totally out of the question if they want to do something fresh!

BCVM22

E3 wouldn't really be totally out of the question if they want to do something fresh!

But the point is that a June announcement for a major AAA game releasing no later than November isn't a long enough public gestation period, which is probably why (among other reasons) they've never announced a core Pokémon title at what is an American press event. So if it's not completely out of the question, that's only because it's 99% out of the question as opposed to 100% out of the question.

If a new core title isn't unveiled by the end of this month, we can likely effectively rule it out for 2017. But the nature of these announcements does mean the tide could shift on any one given day, and there are still plenty of days left in May.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.

GS - November 1997
Crystal - Q3 2000
RS - March 2002
FRLG - September 2003
Emerald - July 2004
DP - October 2004
Platinum - May 2008
HGSS - May 2009
BW - April 2010
B2W2 - February 2012
XY - January 2013
ORAS - May 2014
SM - February 2016

Well this is cooler than the continent of Antarctica that you posted this! :D

Though now that I'm reading it, I'm not quite as hopeful that we're going to get a new game announcement soon. Going by this list the shortest time span between the announcement of a generation's first games and the announcement of its sequels or third versions is almost 2 years (difference between BW and B2W2). If we were to get an announcement of a third version or sequel to Sun and Moon this month, that would mean a time difference of just a little over a year between that and the announcement of Sun and Moon. I'm more tempted now to think that this may be in store for closer to the end of the year.

And in the case of DP remakes, the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 remakes was 5 and a half years and the difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 remakes was 5 years. If we got a DP remakes announcement this month, that would be just 3 years between Gen 3's and Gen 4's remake announcements. And since Wulava says main Pokemon games are never announced during E3, yeah. My hopes of a new game announcement soon are down. Not gone since so many games have been announced earlier in the year especially as of late, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high anymore.

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
But the point is that a June announcement for a major AAA game releasing no later than November isn't a long enough public gestation period, which is probably why (among other reasons) they've never announced a core Pokémon title at what is an American press event. So if it's not completely out of the question, that's only because it's 99% out of the question as opposed to 100% out of the question.

If a new core title isn't unveiled by the end of this month, we can likely effectively rule it out for 2017. But the nature of these announcements does mean the tide could shift on any one given day, and there are still plenty of days left in May.

I mean, I guess I wasn't clear enough, but I mostly agree with you - I just think that the success of Sun & Moon, coupled with a new 2DS XL line and a new movie that will hopefully see global release before late November, means that this gestation period can be shorter than usual without negatively impacting the commercial reception of the next game.

The more important point I think you made was the one about E3 being American in focus and origin; I think that if we don't hear something by the end of the day on the 15th, I wouldn't expect an announcement this year.

I still hope for something this year; Sun and Moon are fantastic games, some of the best in the series for many people, but I'm not sure that they're enough to hold over players another year.

Espmaster

I think that there is reason to question whether or not Sun and Moon will get a third version at all.
Sure, 4 of the 6 generations thus far have gotten one, but the 2 that didn't were the most recent ones. From those two, one got dual-sequels, and one got absolutely nothing. So, one got more than a deluxe version as a generation continuation, and one got less.
I have no idea how accurate this is, but I have heard a sentiment voiced that X and Y were rushed because Game Freak could not finish Sun an Moon in time to be generation VI. If this is the case, it would explain why we got no Pokemon Z or Pokemon XX/XY or whatever. Also, of the past two generations that broke the "main games/remake/third version" pattern of gens III and IV, one has gotten twin sequels but not remakes, and the other got remakes but no sequels or deluxe version.
It seems to me that a remake of DP will not be happening really soon, but of course there's always the possibility that I'm dead wrong. But this opens up the possibility of Sun and Moon actually getting sequels instead of deluxe versions.
If a third version was released, I'd certainly buy and play it, but I also think there's room to speculate that Nintendo will go a different route.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
The more important point I think you made was the one about E3 being American in focus and origin; I think that if we don't hear something by the end of the day on the 15th, I wouldn't expect an announcement this year.

I still hope for something this year; Sun and Moon are fantastic games, some of the best in the series for many people, but I'm not sure that they're enough to hold over players another year.

I'll personally give it to the end of the month, just for the heck of it. :3

They are great games but they certainly won't be able to hold me over another year, that's for sure.

I think that there is reason to question whether or not Sun and Moon will get a third version at all.
Sure, 4 of the 6 generations thus far have gotten one, but the 2 that didn't were the most recent ones. From those two, one got dual-sequels, and one got absolutely nothing. So, one got more than a deluxe version as a generation continuation, and one got less.
I have no idea how accurate this is, but I have heard a sentiment voiced that X and Y were rushed because Game Freak could not finish Sun an Moon in time to be generation VI. If this is the case, it would explain why we got no Pokemon Z or Pokemon XX/XY or whatever. Also, of the past two generations that broke the "main games/remake/third version" pattern of gens III and IV, one has gotten twin sequels but not remakes, and the other got remakes but no sequels or deluxe version.
It seems to me that a remake of DP will not be happening really soon, but of course there's always the possibility that I'm dead wrong. But this opens up the possibility of Sun and Moon actually getting sequels instead of deluxe versions.
If a third version was released, I'd certainly buy and play it, but I also think there's room to speculate that Nintendo will go a different route.

I'd be even happier if we got sequels because then we'd get two more games to play instead of one! :D

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

As much as I too want another game this year, and agree that Sun and Moon isn't enough to hold me over until late 2018, you also have to realize that the same could have been said the year after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out, and yet that was still a year with no Pokémon games. The same is true of literally and gap year. So not being able to hold people over is far from a good reason to suspect new games.

In the end, Black and White 2 where Gen V's third versions, just with a different spin than normal. For all intents and purposes from a development standpoint, there's little to no difference between a third version and a sequel. Taking that into consideration means that five of the past six generations has had a third version. Then, if you look at all the evidence, it seems extremely likely that a "Z Version" was planned relatively up to the last minute. With those two facts taken into account, there really is no reason to doubt that we'll get a third version (or sequels) this generation. Maybe not this year, but this generation almost for sure.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
As much as I too want another game this year, and agree that Sun and Moon isn't enough to hold me over until late 2018, you also have to realize that the same could have been said the year after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out, and yet that was still a year with no Pokémon games. The same is true of literally and gap year. So not being able to hold people over is far from a good reason to suspect new games.

It's pretty widely agreed upon, though, that the reason there was a gap year at all was to focus resources on the development of a new generation for the 20th anniversary rather than on another sixth-generation game for the year before, which would risk a gap year instead taking place during the anniversary (which would probably not be seen as ideal).

I agree that it's no reason to expect another game soon, but in the minds of GameFreak and the Pokemon Company, it's probably not a bad idea to capitalize on the success of Sun and Moon by providing a follow-up a year later as opposed to two.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
It's pretty widely agreed upon, though, that the reason there was a gap year at all was to focus resources on the development of a new generation for the 20th anniversary rather than on another sixth-generation game for the year before, which would risk a gap year instead taking place during the anniversary (which would probably not be seen as ideal).

I agree that it's no reason to expect another game soon, but in the minds of GameFreak and the Pokemon Company, it's probably not a bad idea to capitalize on the success of Sun and Moon by providing a follow-up a year later as opposed to two.

Yeah, that's probably what happened to 'Pokémon Z'. Sucks, but at least we got a cool anime arc around Zygarde to make up for it.

I really hope we get an announcement this month, though I'm sure it will happen because of this year's movie's hints. And the release of the N2DSXL makes it even more likely that we will get new Pokémon titles this year. (Or early next year.) My only wish is they are the DP remakes because I really want a new form for Arceus. Though another part of me wants a Sun/Moon sequel due to Necrozma. And given from the Sun/Moon's datamine, it seems we can only get one of the two, so... I'm split.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

That wasn't the only gap year though. There have been several.

And the release of the N2DSXL makes it even more likely that we will get new Pokémon titles this year. (Or early next year.)

The New 2DS really has no baring on Pokémon whatsoever. It's not like it was made for Pokémon, and it's not like Pokémon will be made for it.

And given from the Sun/Moon's datamine, it seems we can only get one of the two, so... I'm split.

What are you referring to here?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Here's something interesting.
This week on Pokemon History...

May 07, 2014 - ORAS was announced.
May 08, 2009 - HGSS was announced.
May 10, 2008 - Platinum was announced.
May 10, 2016 - First official info on SM -- first official gameplay trailer.
May 11, 2006 - First official info on DP -- first screenshots from CoroCoro (leaked).
May 11, 2013 - First official info on XY -- first gameplay info from CoroCoro (leaked).
May 12, 2010 - First official info on BW -- first gameplay info from CoroCoro (leaked).

Do we get something this week? Who knows.

What are you referring to here?

I think he was referring that we're only getting one of these choices: a third version/sequel or a remake.

If you're going by previous scenarios, third versions are less likely to happen due to what they did with Gen 6, and you'd expect a remake.
But some think that remakes only happen when the series shifts to a new game system (HGSS > DS; ORAS > 3DS), so one would think of third versions instead (also because of "Stars").

But GF can be unpredictable nowadays. We don't know what they really have in mind. Although many fans think that DP remake is more likely to happen because of the Type:Null x Arceus Theory. There's also Palkia and Giratina being noted as part of research on the Dimensional Research Lab regarding Ultra Beasts/Wormholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.