• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Please Pokemon for Switch, you've no idea how much I want to play Pokemon on my TV...

Doubt it would be for Switch even if there was news, they'll probably keep all of Gen 7 on 3DS. But hopefully there is news of a new game!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think he was referring that we're only getting one of these choices: a third version/sequel or a remake.

If you're going by previous scenarios, third versions are less likely to happen due to what they did with Gen 6, and you'd expect a remake.
But some think that remakes only happen when the series shifts to a new game system (HGSS > DS; ORAS > 3DS), so one would think of third versions instead (also because of "Stars").

But GF can be unpredictable nowadays. We don't know what they really have in mind. Although many fans think that DP remake is more likely to happen because of the Type:Null x Arceus Theory. There's also Palkia and Giratina being noted as part of research on the Dimensional Research Lab regarding Ultra Beasts/Wormholes.

Both Gen III and IV got both a third version and remakes. What makes Gen VII any different?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Both Gen III and IV got both a third version and remakes. What makes Gen VII any different?

Sure, Gen 7 can have both. Never said Gen 7 can only have one.
I'm just basing it off the most recent scenarios we've had.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Sure, Gen 7 can have both. Never said Gen 7 can only have one.
I'm just basing it off the most recent scenarios we've had.

Alright, the way I read your statement it sounded like for sure we would only get one.

Anyways, I personally don't think there's much reason to count the possibility of getting both, mostly because of how much evidence there was that a Z Version was planned up until the last minute, meaning that Gen VI was planned to have both. Though, as I was typing this, I did think of one reason. It is my belief that the reason we didn't get Hoenn remakes in Gen V is that they wanted to move the games on to the 3DS as soon as possible, and we seem to be in a very similar situation right now with the Switch. That's part of the reason why I have my fingers crossed for them moving to the switch mid-generation. That way get both a complete generation and games on the newest system. I still don't think Gen VI is indicative of anything though.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I think he was referring that we're only getting one of these choices: a third version/sequel or a remake.

If you're going by previous scenarios, third versions are less likely to happen due to what they did with Gen 6, and you'd expect a remake.
But some think that remakes only happen when the series shifts to a new game system (HGSS > DS; ORAS > 3DS), so one would think of third versions instead (also because of "Stars").

But GF can be unpredictable nowadays. We don't know what they really have in mind. Although many fans think that DP remake is more likely to happen because of the Type:Null x Arceus Theory. There's also Palkia and Giratina being noted as part of research on the Dimensional Research Lab regarding Ultra Beasts/Wormholes.

Yeah, I was referring to that exactly, since the datamine showed there is placeholder only for two more 3DS games this gen with the rest being something else entirely.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Alright, the way I read your statement it sounded like for sure we would only get one.

Anyways, I personally don't think there's much reason to count the possibility of getting both, mostly because of how much evidence there was that a Z Version was planned up until the last minute, meaning that Gen VI was planned to have both. Though, as I was typing this, I did think of one reason. It is my belief that the reason we didn't get Hoenn remakes in Gen V is that they wanted to move the games on to the 3DS as soon as possible, and we seem to be in a very similar situation right now with the Switch. That's part of the reason why I have my fingers crossed for them moving to the switch mid-generation. That way get both a complete generation and games on the newest system. I still don't think Gen VI is indicative of anything though.

The main issue with this is that you are effectively splitting the fanbase in half in a bad way. Given so called third versions/sequels typically include features not included in the paired versions (notably move tutors outside of the universal ones) this could end up upsetting fans who want said features but can't afford a Switch.

Last edited:

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
The main issue with this is that you are effectively splitting the fanbase in half in a bad way. Given so called third versions/ sequels typically include features not included in the paired versions (notably move tutors outside of the universal ones) this could end up upsetting fans who want said features but can't afford a Switch.

Exactly my words here. Not everyone can afford a Switch and there are some people who just don't want to buy it (myself included) for various reasons. Besides, people keep saying that Pokémon on Switch would sell like hotcakes, but honestly, I do not believe that.

BCVM22

And to these fans who don't want to or can't buy a Switch right now, that's just too bad, isn't it?

I don't mean that as crass as it sounds, but Pokémon can't stay on the 3DS forever. You're going to have to buy new hardware eventually, whether that's the Switch or some new dedicated handheld. They make that jump now, they make it in a year or two years, but they're going to make it eventually. "People don't want to buy new hardware" isn't really a valid argument for a lineage of core titles that has spanned five distinct generations of hardware, and whose current hardware just celebrated its sixth birthday and has already supported two generations of games.

And how can you not believe that a core Pokémon title for the Switch wouldn't sell like crazy? What part of any of that sounds like it would have trouble selling?

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think it makes more sense to develop a third Alola game for the 3DS for the simple reason that they already have Sun and Moon on the 3DS. They already have the engine, the graphics, the UI, everything, and they know it works. All they need to do is expand the content that is on top of that foundation and you have Stars. Building a game from the ground up for the Switch would cost significantly more in development time, bug testing, and so on. Maybe they make the Sinnoh remakes on the Switch, Sinnoh is a big region after all and they'd have to design all those areas anyway. But Stars on the Switch makes very little sense to me from a business perspective.

BCVM22

Well... no. It makes tons of sense from a business perspective. Like, slam dunk levels of sense. Pokémon core titles, even regional re-visits, are guaranteed to sell millions of units - release a core Pokémon title for the Switch in October followed by a Super Mario title in November and that's a very attractive and profitable first holiday season for the Switch.

It's from a developmental standpoint that it doesn't make as much sense, as you said. And that impact is lessened if assets from Sun/Moon can be easily ported to Switch development, which may well be the case.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
They also need to sell 40 million 3DS games by the end of this fiscal year. Maybe Pokemon can be a system seller like it usually is.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think it makes more sense to develop a third Alola game for the 3DS for the simple reason that they already have Sun and Moon on the 3DS. They already have the engine, the graphics, the UI, everything, and they know it works. All they need to do is expand the content that is on top of that foundation and you have Stars. Building a game from the ground up for the Switch would cost significantly more in development time, bug testing, and so on. Maybe they make the Sinnoh remakes on the Switch, Sinnoh is a big region after all and they'd have to design all those areas anyway. But Stars on the Switch makes very little sense to me from a business perspective.

I agree and disagree at the same time. It makes some sense to have it on the 3DS considering it has 65m sales compared to 5m or so for the Switch (with a projected 35m by the end of the fiscal year) so yes, the 3DS could have a new game on virtue there is a bigger market to appeal to.

At the same time, Sun and Moon push the capabilities of the 3DS to the limit and even the N3DS struggles a bit at times. The Switch would be able to handle all of the stuff Sun and Moon can do now and more and if demo's show this, the Switch could have another game that essentially sells the platform, much like Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the recently released Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are doing right now.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
For what it's worth doesn't Corocoro leak within the next few days? Is it possible we'd get our announcement that way? Cant help but have hype levels rise a bit :D

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Nintendo is really pushing a lot for the 3DS, with a projected 40M 3DS games sold and the recent announcement of the 2DSXL. I think that the franchise will stay on the 3DS for the time being.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
After playing Sun & Moon, I really think Game Freak should try a different formula each generation rather than rely on the gym leaders and badges of previous generations because I really like what they did with Sun & Moon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
For what it's worth doesn't Corocoro leak within the next few days? Is it possible we'd get our announcement that way? Cant help but have hype levels rise a bit :D

Game Freak hasn't announced a new game in Coro Coro for a while now, the likely reason being that they want to make world-wide announcements for the world-wide releases, and Coro Coro is just a Japanese magazine. It's unlikely that we'll see anything in Coro Coro unless it's announced elsewhere first.

EDIT: Serebii himself seems to think there's a realistic possibility that we'll get a Pokémon Direct this week.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I fished up a Dhelmise once. Still use it as a party member. Speaking of this Global Mission, it's gonna require a lot of soft resetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.