• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

z moves really missed the mark as far as i see them.

That's great as far as you see them... but they didn't miss the mark at all. They're a tactical tool to use, a one-shot, super-powered attack that needs a hold item to activate and can make or break your battle, depending on how you choose to use it. "Choose" being an operative term, because you can elect to build a strategy around them, or you can elect to not. Just like Mega Evolutions, coincidentally.

We get that you hate Z-Moves with a passion and for whatever reason believe they're the worst thing the franchise has ever done. Really. We get it. We do.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I like Z-moves. They're fun to watch and see what they do and I also like a lot of poses that the player character has to do to make them work. They're quite convenient as well when I want to end a wild Pokemon battle quickly.

On a different topic, has anyone else noticed that the guests that appear in your Festival Plaza when you're playing a type match ups mission, they will always say "I love ...-type Pokemon" and the question they will ask you will involve a Pokemon of that type? Just discovered that recently and thought it was kinda neat.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im just deathly allergic to anything that is overhyped. here try this!, its great and fun! sorry to say but that BS dont work on me. if they keep pushing/suggesting me to follow a certain pattern of battle then im likely to go against it. i just want to battle in my own style. i honestly see mega's are the superior item as you can get that stat boost and keep the boost as long as the pkmn hasnt fainted. z crystals for their nuking/stat boost can only be used once per battle. relying on 1 huge turn/item to change the tide of the battle seems like a huge waste to me. id rather have the continuous stat boost. while i dont mind dealing VS the Z status moves, depending on 1 single nuke is not the best strategy IMO. i see the nuking as desperate strategy to get past something you cant deal with, its just feels so cheap.

Last edited:

BCVM22

ere try this!, its great and fun! sorry to say but that BS dont work on me. if they keep pushing/suggesting me to follow a certain pattern of battle then im likely to go against it.

And that's called being contrarian for the sake of it. Which is entirely your prerogative, but again, we do get it already. Your opinion on the matter has been written down, typed up and taped to the wall in the break room (next to the time clock so's everyone can see it).

i just want to battle in my own style.

And the notion that you're being prevented from doing this is not accurate.

relying on 1 huge turn/item to change the tide of the battle seems like a huge waste to me. id rather have the continuous stat boost. while i dont mind dealing VS the Z status moves, depending on 1 single nuke is not the best strategy IMO. i see the nuking as desperate strategy to get past something you cant deal with, its just feels so cheap.

You could try and tear down Mega Evolution the same way. Relying on one in-battle evolution to change the tide of the battle seems like a huge waste to me. Depending on a temporary power boost is not the best strategy, IMO. I see the Mega Evolution as desperate strategy to get past something you can't deal with, it just feels so cheap.

What if your Mega Evolution gets KO'd? Then what? You can't use another Mega Evolution, and you can't re-use your first one even if you're playing in-game and can revive it. It's almost as if both elements have their own strengths and weaknesses and give you something else to plan around and plan for, and to try and continuously put forth the case of "Z-Moves are awful and here are my personal reasons why" is just not productive discussion, much less doing so in a Sun & Moon discussion thread, where the concept is going to ostensibly be brought up repeatedly for the duration of this generation.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
And that's called being contrarian for the sake of it. Which is entirely your prerogative, but again, we do get it already. Your opinion on the matter has been written down, typed up and taped to the wall in the break room (next to the time clock so's everyone can see it).

And the notion that you're being prevented from doing this is not accurate.

You could try and tear down Mega Evolution the same way. Relying on one in-battle evolution to change the tide of the battle seems like a huge waste to me. Depending on a temporary power boost is not the best strategy, IMO. I see the Mega Evolution as desperate strategy to get past something you can't deal with, it just feels so cheap.

What if your Mega Evolution gets KO'd? Then what? You can't use another Mega Evolution, and you can't re-use your first one even if you're playing in-game and can revive it. It's almost as if both elements have their own strengths and weaknesses and give you something else to plan around and plan for, and to try and continuously put forth the case of "Z-Moves are awful and here are my personal reasons why" is just not productive discussion, much less doing so in a Sun & Moon discussion thread, where the concept is going to ostensibly be brought up repeatedly for the duration of this generation.

point well taken. mega evolving just seems like you're getting a "new" pokemon while the crystal is just more of an add-on. i'll just leave my contradictions/prejudices at that and let the productive discussion continue.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
im just deathly allergic to anything that is overhyped. here try this!, its great and fun! sorry to say but that BS dont work on me. if they keep pushing/suggesting me to follow a certain pattern of battle then im likely to go against it. i just want to battle in my own style. i honestly see mega's are the superior item as you can get that stat boost and keep the boost as long as the pkmn hasnt fainted.

I know it is bit late but this needs to be said.- you make it sound like GF NEVER pushed Megas like they did with Z moves in S/M... Back in X and Y and even in ORAS GF pushed Megas as "this new thing" and right now you ate it up like a starving puppy.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I like Z-moves. They're fun to watch and see what they do and I also like a lot of poses that the player character has to do to make them work. They're quite convenient as well when I want to end a wild Pokemon battle quickly.

On a different topic, has anyone else noticed that the guests that appear in your Festival Plaza when you're playing a type match ups mission, they will always say "I love ...-type Pokemon" and the question they will ask you will involve a Pokemon of that type? Just discovered that recently and thought it was kinda neat.

Yeah, I've noticed this. It's why my greeting is Electric types. People need to be reminded of Vikavolt and how insanely fast it is.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Yeah, I've noticed this. It's why my greeting is Electric types. People need to be reminded of Vikavolt and how insanely fast it is.

In Trick Room, Vikavolt is hella fast... always moves first. It is such an underestimated Pokemon. It has gotten me out of many tizzies after Bruxish lays its Trick Room.

LinksOcarina

The true master
That's great as far as you see them... but they didn't miss the mark at all. They're a tactical tool to use, a one-shot, super-powered attack that needs a hold item to activate and can make or break your battle, depending on how you choose to use it. "Choose" being an operative term, because you can elect to build a strategy around them, or you can elect to not. Just like Mega Evolutions, coincidentally.

We get that you hate Z-Moves with a passion and for whatever reason believe they're the worst thing the franchise has ever done. Really. We get it. We do.

Found them better as a strategic option vs a massive nuke.

For example, a z-stockpile gives a free heal with the defense boosts. z- trick or treat raises all stats of the user while giving someone a ghost-type in battle.

Possibilities there are endless in a lot of ways. Take a Gourgeist on z-trick or treat, you get the stat boosts which give it a lot of bulk in XL form, support by providing a ghost-weakness for attackers and itself, and with the use of other moves, can still gain sustain in a 1 v 1 situation as full on wall against most threats.

Thing is, not a lot of people are using z-moves strategically like that in my experience. A few videos and situations here or there, but most of the time I see it as a nuke that works for some, but doesn't become a game changer in most battles.

Although a nuke is good sometimes...

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Finally got around to updating my game. The fact that my battle videos don't work anymore is quite upsetting but I recorded them with my phone beforehand so I do still have them. Not sure if they'll play on my un-updated Sun version (they were recorded in-game on v1.1) when I start that but I hope they do. I don't plan on using Sun to do anything online so I don't have to update it and at least I can now record more videos on Moon.

Also got my Level Ball and Rare Candy rewards from the PokeBeans Global Mission. I'm wondering when we'll finally get the Hoenn starter Mega Stones. It feels like it's been a lot longer of a wait than it did for the other competitions.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Finally got around to updating my game. The fact that my battle videos don't work anymore is quite upsetting but I recorded them with my phone beforehand so I do still have them. Not sure if they'll play on my un-updated Sun version (they were recorded in-game on v1.1) when I start that but I hope they do. I don't plan on using Sun to do anything online so I don't have to update it and at least I can now record more videos on Moon.

Also got my Level Ball and Rare Candy rewards from the PokeBeans Global Mission. I'm wondering when we'll finally get the Hoenn starter Mega Stones. It feels like it's been a lot longer of a wait than it did for the other competitions.

It has been a longer wait, nearly two months in fact, the last competition stones were given out 11 days after the competition. No reasoning with why they have been delayed so long. But I can only hope that they come along very soon.

Pokemon Power

I didn't sign up for the online tournament this time, because I still don't have those Hoenn Starter Mega Stones from the last one. I did all the requirements.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I didn't sign up for the online tournament this time, because I still don't have those Hoenn Starter Mega Stones from the last one. I did all the requirements.

it not like having the missing Hoenn starters will make the code for the stones you get in the current competition null and void. yeah sure its a bummer that they have procrastinated on that as much as they have so far but the Hoenn codes will still come out. im still putting the effort to do the battles but i do know they'll bring the codes out eventually.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Anyone having problems getting their battles in? Could have sworn I registered but so far not letting me battle.

Almost lost to a NFE team on battle spot. That would have caused me to retire.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I must not have registered then.

Oh well the only stone I miss out on really is Manectite, the other two are meh Megas.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
just what happens when you put someone on the block list? i just got this persistent JPN player send me 5 trade requests within 30 seconds which i all turned down immediately. i just dont see a point to do any sort of trades in gen7 unless its to help someone trade evolve or an arranged trade. will the other/blocked player be notified about the blocking?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I don't know if they'll be notified by the blocking, but by blocking a player they won't be able to communicate at all with you and they won't show up in your Festival Plaza.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I don't know if they'll be notified by the blocking, but by blocking a player they won't be able to communicate at all with you and they won't show up in your Festival Plaza.

thanks, that much i can guess with but i dont plan to fill up my block list. id like if they get a message that they got blocked to teach them a lesson about persistence. given they cant see me then its likely they cant get a nice little message :(.

oh BTW, congrats on lvl 901 plaza level. you're nearly there to 999, i guess another week or 2 is needed to hit your mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.