• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
It's not a Little Cup ala Pokemon Stadium. It's a cup allowing any Pokemon measuring less than 3'03''.

I know. This is the team I'll be using though if I decide to enter, lol. :p

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im excited that i can put my fetch'd into battle without worrying too much about being tapu-stomped. i got some cute quirky low tiered pkmn planned for this competition. the fact there is a size limit is a bit annoying but being able to eliminate 96% of legends and UBs from the competition should make this very interesting. though im torn between 3 fun pkmn to use and if i can remove one from the team for space on a trick room espurr.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Like all global missions I just have no desire to contribute more than the mandatory amount for the bonus stuff. At 50k though, which is neat, like 5% of the way towards the 1m target...

Maybe it's because I'm only at 42% on Zelda: BotW (damn Korok seeds...)

Still no idea what I want to use for Tiny Cup. I've made it my mission not to Kartana my way through the tournament.

Tell you what though, I'll pay homage to Pachirisu at Worlds (and anime! Sophocles) and use Togedemaru.

So Sophocles just became my favourite character in the entire Sun and Moon anime for reasons outside the anime.

Did five eggs before realising, wait whut?

Egg number 3:

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/17E7LQI.jpg[/img300]

Egg number 5:

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/rFIqVs7.jpg?1[/img300]

The brilliant thing is is that I 'forgot' to save, so now I can have any two shinies I want thanks to SMs breeding mechanics.

One will definetely be a Fomantis. I have had my eye on that shiny for a while now and both Togedemaru's have Sturdy (hidden ability) so Contrary FTW. Not sure on the second. I could go Flygon or Scizor, or Whimsicott, or Araquanid.

We'll just put aside I had previously hatched like 2k Magikarps for the shiny swap method

Dr. Eeviil

I wanted a Baby Cup.

Not a Midget Cup.

It's the Little Cup, not Baby Cup. That's what I was hoping for. Well, at least all be able to use my Eeveelution team for this one.

Anyway, I decided to do some fishing, and Woo Hoo!! Shiny Wishiwashi first try! Oops, I forgot to put my catcher pokemon into my team. Fortunately a half-dozen net balls caught it anyway.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The brilliant thing is is that I 'forgot' to save, so now I can have any two shinies I want thanks to SMs breeding mechanics.

This is something I am unaware of. Is the RNG determining shininess pre-determined and assigned based on hatch order, rather than being randomized upon the hatch?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
This is something I am unaware of. Is the RNG determining shininess pre-determined and assigned based on hatch order, rather than being randomized upon the hatch?

It's based on hatch order and it's determined before you even put the parents in the nursery.

This should explain everything.

Basically you use Magikarp to hatch eggs because it's got the quickest egg cycle so they hatch really quickly. It's important that you save around every 30 eggs or so. When you do hatch the shiny at say egg 17, you SR, replace the Magikarp with the desired offspring shiny and hatch eggs until you get to egg 17, of which it will be shiny.

There are a couple rules, don't replace the Destiny Knot at all and be mindful of gender ratios when switching.

I've SR and removed the Everstone on the Togedemarus just to see what natures they would have had. Egg 3 is Adamant, Egg 5 is Careful. Not too shabby and certainly usuable. Opens up more options anyway.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It's based on hatch order and it's determined before you even put the parents in the nursery.

Basically you use Magikarp to hatch eggs because it's got the quickest egg cycle so they hatch really quickly. It's important that you save around every 30 eggs or so. When you do hatch the shiny at say egg 17, you SR, replace the Magikarp with the desired offspring shiny and hatch eggs until you get to egg 17, of which it will be shiny.

There are a couple rules, don't replace the Destiny Knot at all and be mindful of gender ratios when switching.

I've SR and removed the Everstone on the Togedemarus just to see what natures they would have had. Egg 3 is Adamant, Egg 5 is Careful. Not too shabby and certainly usuable. Opens up more options anyway.

so if i understand that properly, whether you use magicarp or another pkmn. after saving every 30 eggs the hatch order that the shiny comes along will be predetermined when the shiny comes along. then you can just SR to X amount of eggs before that shiny occurred and put the wanted pair of pkmn in the daycare and that egg hatched number is destined to be a shiny without fail?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
so if i understand that properly, whether you use magicarp or another pkmn. after saving every 30 eggs the hatch order that the shiny comes along will be predetermined when the shiny comes along. then you can just SR to X amount of eggs before that shiny occurred and put the wanted pair of pkmn in the daycare and that egg hatched number is destined to be a shiny without fail?

What do you mean soft reset to X amount of eggs?

You will still need to hatch each egg before the shiny Nth egg spawns.

You could have Magikarps in up until the shiny spawn, but you run the risk of actually making Magikarp shiny. That's why it's recommended to do 30 eggs at a time (perfectly fits into a box and easy to keep track off)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
What do you mean soft reset to X amount of eggs?

You will still need to hatch each egg before the shiny Nth egg spawns.

You could have Magikarps in up until the shiny spawn, but you run the risk of actually making Magikarp shiny. That's why it's recommended to do 30 eggs at a time (perfectly fits into a box and easy to keep track off)

thank you for the reply. what i meant was that i save every 30 eggs and happen to get a shiny. from there i do a soft reset (without saving), put the wanted pairing upon re-entering the game and just get and hatch out the RNG number of the shiny egg.

though my questions do start with how the parent pairings work. say i start with magikarp, and water group but the shiny i want is from a completely different egg group. i dont see how you can get a shiny Flygon from RNG egg from those togedemaru unless ditto is one holding a destiny knot.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Oh right.

Save BEFORE you even collect the Magikarp eggs.

1) Save the game.
2) Collect the 30 eggs
3) If none are shiny, then you can save again and try another 30 eggs
4) If an egg is shiny, make a note of which egg it was and then SR without saving
5) Load up game, replace Magikarp with desired parent, hatch eggs until shiny appears

Hopefully that makes sense.

If you collect and save then you'll have locked the shiny into Magikarp.

and yes I have a Ditto in the daycare. Just makes things easier really.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Oh right.

Save BEFORE you even collect the Magikarp eggs.

1) Save the game.
2) Collect the 30 eggs
3) If none are shiny, then you can save again and try another 30 eggs
4) If an egg is shiny, make a note of which egg it was and then SR without saving
5) Load up game, replace Magikarp with desired parent, hatch eggs until shiny appears

Hopefully that makes sense.

If you collect and save then you'll have locked the shiny into Magikarp.

and yes I have a Ditto in the daycare. Just makes things easier really.

thanks, thats what i was trying to confirm. i hardly use ditto in the pairing unless i need a certain nature or IVs i just dont have. if i were use something other than ditto then it will need to be in the same egg group in which i want the shiny to be in?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Yeah same egg group. It's important that the Destiny Knot stays in the nursery at all times - that's why Ditto is preferred (because it's essentially every egg group).

Just makes sure your Destiny Knot mon is in the same egg group as your ideal shiny and you should be fine.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Yeah same egg group. It's important that the Destiny Knot stays in the nursery at all times - that's why Ditto is preferred (because it's essentially every egg group).

Just makes sure your Destiny Knot mon is in the same egg group as your ideal shiny and you should be fine.

thanks, i dont do many MM runs, especially in gen7 but i do have the urge to copy some of my preferred shinies in each gen game. i dont like to bring them over into new gen games. i do want to try for a shiny HA minun someday but im busy atm breeding out 1 of 3 tiny pkmn for the tiny tourney.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Well, that's kind of lame. Interesting, but lame.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So it's only for pokémon under 1.0m right? Does that mean that pokémon that're exactly 1.0m like Vaporeon and Marowak are excluded? I'll have to see if I can find some interesting pokémon. I predict Kartana and Dugtrio are going to be popular, as well as Torkoal, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z. Alolan Raichu might also become popular.

Edit: Looks like Serebii description is wrong. The PGL website says pokémon of exactly 1.0m are also allowed, so Alolan Marowak is going to be everywhere too. And Alolan Muk also goes. Toxapex is also allowed but it's pretty meh in doubles. The PGL website also has some other potential ideas, like Ferrothorn, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit, Chandelure, Rotom, and Wishiwashi (seriously how is Wishiwashi in its school form still 20cm?). Unfortunately I don't have any of the pixies and I also don't have Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Azelf/Kartana/Marowak/Muk/Excadrill/Azumarill sounds fun

I think I'm going to try and use something else, can't be bothered dipping into bank and Kartana is also going to be off limits because its basically a win button

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
A good counter to fire types is also going to be useful I think, since a lot of them will be present to counter Kartana. I'm counting on Alolan Marowak, Chandelure, and Torkoal to be popular, the first two for their resistances to Kartana's STAB and Sacred Sword, and Torkoal for its good defence. Rotom-Heat may also be somewhat popular. Although it doesn't resist Sacred Sword it's still not too bad. Hawlucha is also an interesting pick. It resists Leaf Blade and Sacred Sword and gets High Jump Kick to eliminate Kartana, and also gets some neat support moves for doubles like Quick Guard, Encore, and Sky Drop.

Vaporeon is an interesting pokémon to use to counter most fire types. Dugtrio might be fun, but it won't trap Alolan Marowak, Chandelure, or Rotom and Dugtrio is ridiculously fragile. I think Dugtrio also needs Tectonic Rage to actually KO Marowak or Torkoal. Another interesting pokémon to consider is Eviolite Charjabug, which boosts its partner's Sp.Atk by 30% and can provide support with String Shot and screens. Gumshoos is interesting for Trick Room teams with that Adaptability Return. Shiinotic and Amoonguss are the best Spore users with Breloom banned, they've got some decent bulk, and terrific speed in Trick Room. As Trick Room setters you can go with Mimikyu, Reuniclus, or Porygon2, I think those three are the most viable ones.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So here are a few ideas that I came up with on the fly that isn't just Kartana and co.

[spoil]Eviolite Sand Stream Hippopotas and Excadrill/Lycanroc-Midday

Ribombee and Oricorio

Torkoal and *insert generic Sun abuser*

Prankster Meowstic to mess with weather teams (casually throwing up a Rain Dance in the middle of a Solarbeam)

Mold Breaker Hawlucha with Sky Drop and Steelium-Z Iron Head for Mimikyu TR.

Amoonguss Rage Powder/Clefairy Follow Me and Extreme Evoboost

Conversion Porygon-Z or TR Porygon-2

Whimsicott[/spoil]

Go nuts

nel3

Crimson Dragon
are there any suggestions for a trapinch item?im thinking an aguav berry or some similar berry. im also contemplating going arena trap or sheer force, any suggestions there?

most of my team for the tiny tourney have a speed of 30-50 base points. i got 3 pkmn that are fun to use: corsola, fetch'd and minun. i got sole solid quirky ideas for them minun switcheroo, fetch'd is my fav LOL flying pkmn and is just awesome/under appreciated and corsola is gonna be a SDF wall. my 7th member is prankster meowstic with trick room, i do want to put some sort of trick support but there's little room for that if i remove the 3 fun pkmn. im gonna run a evolite kirlia and have 3 wanted SPA moves on it, shadowball is there for coverage but is trick room better to support my team without removing 3 fun pkmn? if i do put trick on kirlia would t bolt or volt switch be better on specs minun?

this will be a fun tourney but its forcing me to go against my usual habits on move selection due to pkmn size limits. im playing the tourney with a casual team so i dont have much interest in the usual pkmn that 80% of the players will use.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Mimikyu for Trick Room, with a Sash up it can reliably get off Trick Room.

Probably Arena Trap on it unless you've got moves that can make use of Sheer Force + Life Orb.

Not sure about item if going Arena Trap. I would suggest Groundium-Z but you don't like Zmoves. Maybe Sitrus Berry.

EDIT: Might use Wishiwashi if it's allowed. Literally cheating the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.