• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I can't believe they really did waste most of the Direct on a port...and barely said much about the REAL meat.

I guess the Sinnoh remakes are for later, then.

As always, they find ways to make different takes on "third" versions. But I don't know how to feel that it has been barely a year since we got to Gen VII and we're already getting third versions...

BCVM22

The armor Solgaleo and Lunala are wearing is shards of Necrozma, unmistakably.

THe most interesting bit was "Pokemon not found on the original games". I could've heard it wrong but... here we go with "new" Pokemon being introduced mid-gen again.

You didn't necessarily hear wrong, but they consistently refer to new formes and such as "new Pokémon" before they clarify the details of their nature, so I would take it at that value before assuming they mean actual new, distinct Pokémon.

greninjamaster

I noticed something interesting though. In the background of where the first guy was standing, with all the main titles in the background. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were not among them.

Bus

And Mimikyu's real appearance it seems.

It did show that briefly, you're right. So a form change to show off its real image? That would seem odd considering its got a really unique ability...unless they change how it works. Instead of being a straight substitute, it may work like 'Shields Down' where its first form is a bit more defensive and once passing a damage threshold, its ability activates to change its form and we see what it really looks like. Either that or just a straight evolution.

Of course we get to speculate now for half a year lol. Hopefully E3 will have a bit more info. I suppose we can now begin the long, hopeful wait for the possibility of more Alola variants. C'mon, Psychic Psyduck!

EDIT: I didn't think about that; those could have been exclusive Z-Moves for Mimikyu and Lycanroc, so it may end up being just Necronaala & Necrogeo (just gonna make that their shorthand combined name) as 'New' pokemon not seen before.

Last edited:

Dragon Pulse

It seems Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are set in an alternate reality like Masuda said. I believe they aren't sequels.

Spyro39

Given that the original Gold and Silver versions are coming to the 3DS, anyone expecting Johto Alolan forms?

Sabre_King

It is mazing how fast these games are already coming out and like most I will take this "new pokemon" info and simply refer to this as the new forms, until proven otherwise. But so far I do like the new protagonists, and setting updates and the fact that there will be new areas to explore. Cannot wait for the coming months to go by, and by the time Sept. rolls by I will have both pokken and Gen 2 games to pass the time during the final stretch before release.

EDIT: One final thought would be is it will be interesting if those random construction sites in S/M are finally filled. I am referring to the random squared out areas found around the game, usually in the cities.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
It seems Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are set in an alternate reality like Masuda said. I believe they aren't sequels.

That made me realize that this is the first paired third version games.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I didn't see much different for Mimikyu, just looked like a standard Mimikyu to me. To me it looks like they're going in the same direction as B2W2, with fusions of the earlier box legends with the 'third' legend, in this case Necrozma. Just like they made Kyurem-White and Kyurem-Black. An 'alternate story' could mean anything, maybe they'll be sequels like B2W2 were, I'd love that.

Given that the original Gold and Silver versions are coming to the 3DS, anyone expecting Johto Alolan forms?

I personally don't, it'd be hard to explain why those pokémon wouldn't get their Alola forms in Sun and Moon. I would welcome it though. There are plenty of Johto pokémon that've fallen into obscurity, like Noctowl.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I'm wondering if it is a sequel to the game like Black and White 2, or it happening in an alternate universe but rather following a Crystal to Gold and Silver. I'd very much like a sequel and an expanded version of Alola like how BW2 brought to the table.

When I was first watching the stream and Pokken for the Switch was announced, I was extremely disappointed but continued on regardless in case of something. Then I saw the Alola protagonist all of a sudden with new soothes and began going "waiiit what", and as the trailer continued it got better and better.

So, I'm still freaking out about it so my mind may not be the clearest as of right now, but I saw:
-Protagonist in new clothes, not too big but a thing regardless
-Lycanroc jumping down from somewhere, implying that it's going to have a more major role in the plot
-Mimikyu jumping up to the screen with its underside going first, and two red eyes below it. Oh my god we're actually gonna find out what is below a Mimikyu.
-The big ones, Solgaleo and Lunala fusing with Necrozma in a way reminiscent of Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem in Gen 5. Something big is gonna happen with this, and I'm dying to know what.

And that's about it, my mind still can't take it in.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I didn't see much different for Mimikyu, just looked like a standard Mimikyu to me. To me it looks like they're going in the same direction as B2W2, with fusions of the earlier box legends with the 'third' legend, in this case Necrozma. Just like they made Kyurem-White and Kyurem-Black. An 'alternate story' could mean anything, maybe they'll be sequels like B2W2 were, I'd love that.

I personally don't, it'd be hard to explain why those pokémon wouldn't get their Alola forms in Sun and Moon.

Could be Z-move Mimikyu

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Here's my thought: This game will "complete" Alola.

As in, I thought Alola in S/M was kinda barren, with almost nothing memorable to do after the main adventure is completed. The Ultra Beast missions were interesting kind of, but once that's over, what's left other than the Battle Tree, which is kinda barren, and... I dunno, chucking Pyukumukus for cash?

Besides, no National Pokedex, no way to get non-native pokemon for Two or Three months after the game was released, hardly any pokemon from other regions in the first place, and most importantly a whole other alternate world that is barely even hinted at in-game? It did NOT feel complete, probably rushed to match with Pokemon's 20th anniversary.

Still a good game, but it didn't feel complete in any way.

greninjamaster

When I was first watching the stream and Pokken for the Switch was announced, I was extremely disappointed but continued on regardless in case of something. Then I saw the Alola protagonist all of a sudden with new soothes and began going "waiiit what", and as the trailer continued it got better and better.

So, I'm still freaking out about it so my mind may not be the clearest as of right now, but I saw:
-Protagonist in new clothes, not too big but a thing regardless
-Lycanroc jumping down from somewhere, implying that it's going to have a more major role in the plot
-Mimikyu jumping up to the screen with its underside going first, and two red eyes below it. Oh my god we're actually gonna find out what is below a Mimikyu.
-The big ones, Solgaleo and Lunala fusing with Necrozma in a way reminiscent of Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem in Gen 5. Something big is gonna happen with this, and I'm dying to know what.

And that's about it, my mind still can't take it in.

Pretty sure Lycanroc and Mimikyu are Z moves. No indication of big roles in the game.

BCVM22

Or they were just animations for new Z-Moves exclusive to those Pokémon.

It is also worth noting that both Lycanroc and Mimikyu had placeholder data on PGL, alongside Alolan Raticate for whatever reason. Could just be new Z-Move stuff though, especially since nothing seemed to stand out about Togedemaru.
Not expecting any completely new pokémon. Although I am kind of interested in how they will keep the game's lifespan going when the only Mythical pokémon left to reveal is OC Magearna.

Very surprised that we're going back to "alternative third versions" given how much focus SM had on the story, even if they're paired this time.

erebus

Was hoping for a Sinnoh announcement but new Sun/Moon games rock too. So... are they sequels? Dual second version games? Or something different? I really hope they're sequels!!! I think second versions would be cool and all but I don't really see the logic in making two versions.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Or they were just animations for new Z-Moves exclusive to those Pokémon.

They're probably just new or revamped Trial Pokemon. Lycanroc's jumping that way reminded me greatly of Gumshoes/Raticate.

Status
Not open for further replies.