• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon Music Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGirl41

It appears when you first encounter Hapu, and in some encounters with Anabel. I think there are a couple more, but I can't remember right now.

Ah, okay, thanks. Even if it's played with other characters, listening to it now just makes me think of Lillie. :)

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Today I learned of some slightly sad news. It seems Hitomi Sato has left GameFreak: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17115

According to this, she wasn't credited as being a member of GameFreak in the Japanese CD release of the OST.

Well, that kinda sucks, especially if assuming DP gets remade this gen. She was the primary musician for Gen 4.
But who knows, maybe she's still being commissioned by GF.

Anyway, they've got Hideaki Kuroda. Then there's a new artist in the house, Tomoaki Oga, whose tracks in the OST are really amazing.
Ichinose is also back at it again after being absent in Gen 6.

hkgary

Today I learned of some slightly sad news. It seems Hitomi Sato has left GameFreak: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17115

According to this, she wasn't credited as being a member of GameFreak in the Japanese CD release of the OST.

I already posted on here.

When I post this on Day 1, I have a question why 6 composers are presented by 3 and 3 with space between.
Today I just get the Japanese CD with booklet, I get the answer with sad...

Hitomi Sato confirmed was left Game Freak

Baggie_Saiyan

Who else just elongated their legendary battle despite high catch rate just for the music? Seriously that was sooooo good!!

BlitzGirl41

Who else just elongated their legendary battle despite high catch rate just for the music? Seriously that was sooooo good!!

And I can't get enough of Hau'oli City (daytime)! :) I purchased the soundtrack on iTunes and have been listening to that one track on repeat while I'm at work. Very calming and happy.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

That was definitely the most stand-out track in the game if yo ask me. When I went to go catch Necrozma, I decided to do it in a Beast Ball, just for the heck of it and the challenge, so I ended up getting to listen to that theme for quite a while.

Speaking of that theme, is it just me, or is it related/based off of Deoxys' theme? I really feel like a lot of the same notes were going on.

I didn't expect myself to love the Infiltration theme as much as I did. But the distorted guitar rift combined with the strong and epic base gives off a really dark and evil theme that I can bop to at the same time. It also really fitted the scene as the moment when Aether were shown to be evil.

Also, another subtle but interesting music choice is that the moment after you beat Lusamine, from then on, the next time you enter the Aether Paradise (except the labs) the music is back to the classic Aether overworld theme, as though the Infiltration scene never happened. That I find is a nice touch.

Speaking of the usual Aether overworld theme, that theme is one of the most relaxing in the OST I find. I could listen to it for ages to help me relax.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
a lot of songs in this game give off serious mystery dungeon vibes and i love it

I thought the exact same thing for the Poni Wildlands theme. If that was put in Super Mystery Dungeon as a dungeon theme, no one would have batted an eye.

Baggie_Saiyan

Just battled the first member and The elite 4 music theme was absolutely fly!! So many godamn great themes in this game.

ebevan91

I can't get enough of the 2 Lusamine themes. They're so good. Especially the one where you first battle her.

If you include encounter themes, Lusamine has four main themes with her leitmotif. What I find pretty cool is that a different instrument is the focus each time:

First encounter: Violin
First battle: Umm... whatever that string instrument is (it might be a Lyre but I'm not sure)
Second encounter: vocals
Second battle: both synths and piano

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I'm much more partial to the battle themes this time around. Of course, I think everything related to dank music goes to Team Skull. They took all the good ones with all that funk in their themes, especially in Guzma's encounter theme. Gladion's theme is so edgy, but it's almost like something out of a Sonic game, in both the encounter and battle themes. It doesn't detract from how much I like it though. Another battle theme I can't get over is Red and Blue's Battle Tree Theme. It's not just the epic 2016 remastering that enchants me, but every instrument that you hear as it progresses. The violins really drive home the fact that they're daunting trainers to challenge in the beginning, and the accordions kind of give a sense of nostalgia, like a feel of olden times, it's kind of like home to me. Not sure if it makes sense, but in the end the violins and accordions mixed kind of gives the impression of time moving forward, because not only did the graphics improve with time, but also how we compose music for games. It shows how far these two have come since the original games. The instruments at the end before it loops back to the beginning is what I really enjoy the most about it.

Of all my favorite themes unrelated to trainer battles, it definitely goes to Vs. Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma and Vast Poni Canyon. The synth in the former really gives the "powerful cosmic entity" feel for the legendaries, and then (what I believe to be) the electric guitar highlights their legendary power. The wind instruments in Vast Poni Canyon captures the adventurous feel to it, since it's a very wide area, so the theme really gives you the thought of wanting to explore every corner of it. I will say though, the wind instruments in the beginning greatly remind me of the flutes from the Steamboat Willie theme from Mickey Mania, though not in the same lighthearted, jovial one as that theme.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
From an attention-grabbing perspective, my favorite song in this game has got to be the Thrifty Megamart theme. (The old one on Ula'Ula Island, not the new one on Akala.) It's an errrie-sounding accordion waltz (but minor keys in waltz time signatures naturally feel that way), with distortion added in with the effect of a worn down vinyl record. And then there's further distortion beyond that, with the music breaking and cutting back in, abruptly changing volumes, and sometimes even skipping, making it sound like it was hastily pasted together from disparate pieces. I love it!

WolfeyStar

Ganbaruby!
Probably my favorite tracks in Sun/Moon is the 2nd Lusamine theme or the E4 theme. The E4 theme has SO much energy in it, but it still manages to feel intense, and the Lusamine theme is just... perfection. The piano in the middle brings this eerie feel to the theme, and I love it!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
From an attention-grabbing perspective, my favorite song in this game has got to be the Thrifty Megamart theme. (The old one on Ula'Ula Island, not the new one on Akala.) It's an errrie-sounding accordion waltz (but minor keys in waltz time signatures naturally feel that way), with distortion added in with the effect of a worn down vinyl record. And then there's further distortion beyond that, with the music breaking and cutting back in, abruptly changing volumes, and sometimes even skipping, making it sound like it was hastily pasted together from disparate pieces. I love it!

This is kind of random, but speaking of the Thrifty Megamart music (I'm talking about the non-haunted one), I wish that instead of creating a new theme that they would have remixed the PokeMart theme instead. It would have worked perfectly. I loved that tune and miss it so much. If they could just come up with an excuse to put it somewhere in every game, I would be happy, and this could have been that excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.