• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon Music Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cradily17

By far the biggest highlight of Sun and Moon for me was the soundtrack. There were such an amazing variety of many different musical styles and each track stood out in enriching my experience with the game. My personal favorite song in SM was the Vast Poni Canyon theme. It's an epic, catchy tune that gives me major Sonic CD and Diddy Kong Racing vibes. Listening to the song while searching for Jangmo-o... going in the caves and fighting the trainers in them... watching Lillie finally cross a long bridge for the very first time after watching her grow as a character... all of it combined was just fantastic. The night versions of the city themes were a nice callback to Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and added a ton of atmosphere as well. I know that many will disagree with me, but I honestly believe that Sun and Moon have the best soundtrack of any Pokémon game so far.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This is kind of random, but speaking of the Thrifty Megamart music (I'm talking about the non-haunted one), I wish that instead of creating a new theme that they would have remixed the PokeMart theme instead. It would have worked perfectly. I loved that tune and miss it so much. If they could just come up with an excuse to put it somewhere in every game, I would be happy, and this could have been that excuse.

While I'm sure the composers would've been able to come up with an eerie remix of the Pokémart theme, I think it works better as it is. The waltz time signature (not sure if it's 3/4 or 6/8), combined with the use of instruments makes it sound old and dated, and neglected for a long time. Though I know the Pokémart theme can also be remixed as a waltz, I don't think it can be done so easily without making it sound forced.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
While I'm sure the composers would've been able to come up with an eerie remix of the Pokémart theme, I think it works better as it is. The waltz time signature (not sure if it's 3/4 or 6/8), combined with the use of instruments makes it sound old and dated, and neglected for a long time. Though I know the Pokémart theme can also be remixed as a waltz, I don't think it can be done so easily without making it sound forced.

I didn't mean the haunted Megamart where the trial takes place, I meant the new one that's still open for business. The PokeMart theme would have worked perfectly there.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Right, I missed that part. I would agree with you there; the Pokémart would've been pretty neat to have in there. I never paid attention though--is the new Thrifty Megamart's music related to the old one's?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Right, I missed that part. I would agree with you there; the Pokémart would've been pretty neat to have in there. I never paid attention though--is the new Thrifty Megamart's music related to the old one's?

I never noticed a similarity, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if one existed.

Probably my favorite tracks in Sun/Moon is the 2nd Lusamine theme or the E4 theme. The E4 theme has SO much energy in it, but it still manages to feel intense, and the Lusamine theme is just... perfection. The piano in the middle brings this eerie feel to the theme, and I love it!

I agree entirely! When I accidentally spoiled myself on the 2nd Lusamine theme I was at first annoyed that I got spoiled, but as I listened to the theme more I began to stop caring. The theme mixes synths, pianos and drums in such a way that makes it feel epic, intimidating and twisted, all the while giving a sense of space and alternate dimensions. It really fits the situation! And the drum in the piano bit.... I think I fell in love with the track.

DLionHeart

I love Malie City's theme. When I finish playing, I alway save there so that it's the first thing I hear when I restart my game again later. I've always been fascinated with traditional eastern music and hearing its theme is just amazing.

I've really been enjoying the music this time around, particularly the Island Kahuna battle theme. It's much more catchy than X/Y's Gym Leader theme, though I guess that one is good in it's own right.

I'm a little disappointed the usual Gym theme doesn't reappear in some way, or the Pokemart theme, but I guess it might be time to take a break from those songs.

As much as I do enjoy the new battle themes, I really want to use some of the retro themes to battle friends, so I have to ask: Is it possible to use the battle themes from the special characters in the Battle Tree in online battles? I just battled Cynthia, and lost to her. During the fight the game played the music I had set (Island Kahuna, of course), but I know her specific theme from D/P is in the game's soundtrack, so I figured I would still get it after fighting her, but it hasn't appeared when I go to choose my music. There are a few good themes that they decided to use, and it would be a shame if you can only hear them in the Battle Tree under certain conditions, even if they aren't remixes or anything.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, back when the trailer first revealed that Red and Blue would be in these games and be possible to battle, my first thought was utter excitement at the possibility of a remix of the Johto Champion theme, the theme that plays when you fight Red on Mt. Silver and one of my all-time favorite pieces of music in the entire series. After finally giving up on the possibility of ever being able to face Red in the Battle Tree, I looked into the Sun and Moon soundtrack to hear the music that plays when Red is fought. When I hear the start of the music I become incredibly excited. It's the opening of the Johto Champion theme. But then, just as I'm getting into it, them music completely changes. No matter how much it sounded like it at first, the music is something completely new. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't what I really wanted to hear. A tad disappointing. Oh well.

On the topic of the soundtrack, the bonus tracks on the iTunes version of the album where all various tracks from the soundtrack, but with the additional label of "Z-Ring Synchronized" or something like that. As far as I could tell, there was absolutely nothing special or different about these tracks compared to the standard versions. I couldn't find any explanations on the internet anywhere, does anyone have any clue what these tracks were supposed to be?

OMG so I was just playing Pokemon Platinum and I heard the ace trainer encounter theme and the first bit sounds exactly like Gladion's theme! I feel like they're really not trying to hide that Sinnoh remakes are on their way....

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I completed the main story of Sun yesterday, and the music really seems to have made its mark on me. I love Hau'oli's theme - it reminds me so much of the Hawaiian vibes that Alola is meant to give off, like lying on a tropical beach with palm trees and the blue sea waves licking up against the golden sands. Route 8's theme screams Hoenn so much - I could clearly hear the trumpets in there, which took me back to my time playing Omega Ruby.

I like Konikoni and Heahea's themes too - the second one sounds like island jazz, and the first one reminds me of a jungle by the sea, which is fitting since Mallow's Lush Jungle is nearby. The Totem Pokémon battle theme also fits in with the intensity of the situation, with those banging snare drums.

Baggie_Saiyan

This has to be best Soundtrack yet (say this every Gen lol) but seriously so so so so good. Battle Tree Boss theme gives me goosebumps absolutely love the Tapu and Legends Battle themes the Skull and Aether stuff is pretty great especially Guzma's theme. As for Citities. Malie City (both) is definitely the best.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
OMG so I was just playing Pokemon Platinum and I heard the ace trainer encounter theme and the first bit sounds exactly like Gladion's theme!

Huh I thought Gladion's battle theme sounded familiar when I first heard it too, but I couldn't put my finger on where I'd heard its melody before. Now that you mention it however, it does kind of sound like the D/P/Pt Ace Trainer encounter theme. Gladion's theme is now in my Top 5 favourite Sun and Moon themes list hee hee. :3

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
Ahhh, yes. The music in this game is impeccable.

My personal favorites are Mahalo Trail, the Totem pokemon battle theme, Route 4, and the Trainer battle theme. On the last two, I must say they are not only two of my favorites for this game, but perhaps ranking among the best of the main series in general. Although Route 4 isn't the only one to play that theme, it's one that is so upbeat and cheerful... I never grow tired of listening to it! Battling trainers is also no longer dull either due to the newest trainer theme (Of all seven generations, this one ranks number 1 in my mind.).

On the topic of the soundtrack, the bonus tracks on the iTunes version of the album where all various tracks from the soundtrack, but with the additional label of "Z-Ring Synchronized" or something like that. As far as I could tell, there was absolutely nothing special or different about these tracks compared to the standard versions. I couldn't find any explanations on the internet anywhere, does anyone have any clue what these tracks were supposed to be?

They're for the special Z-ring toy that was released, as far as I'm aware.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
[video=youtube;uZxLCY5svDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxLCY5svDs[/video]

Not my favourite theme in the entire game (its remixes in the Tapu and Kahuna battle themes certainly are though), but definitely one that I think deserves far more attention. It creates this air of mystery, like an old tradition or legend spanning generations, while also creating a tense atmosphere in the presence of a Legendary Pokemon. That's exactly what Legendary Pokemon should mean to the people of the Pokemon world, and this theme captures it perfectly.

[video=youtube;uZxLCY5svDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxLCY5svDs[/video]

Not my favourite theme in the entire game (its remixes in the Tapu and Kahuna battle themes certainly are though), but definitely one that I think deserves far more attention. It creates this air of mystery, like an old tradition or legend spanning generations, while also creating a tense atmosphere in the presence of a Legendary Pokemon. That's exactly what Legendary Pokemon should mean to the people of the Pokemon world, and this theme captures it perfectly.

I get what you mean! It feels intimidating in a calm way, like some sort of calm-before-the-storm situations.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They're for the special Z-ring toy that was released, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the answer, but that doesn't really explain why there are duplicate tracks that have absolutely no differences from the originals. What does the Z-Ring toy have to do with music?

Thanks for the answer, but that doesn't really explain why there are duplicate tracks that have absolutely no differences from the originals. What does the Z-Ring toy have to do with music?

That part I'm not sure about, but I've got a feeling it might be able to sync the music over from the device the OST has been bought on. That's just a guess though, and most likely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.