• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Well, if that's the truth then I'm disappointed. Starting from gen 6 we don't get more than ~70 new Pokemon and their excuse is Mega Evolutions, Ultra-Beasts, Alola Forms, etc. I don't give a damn about this stuff, I'd like to see cool new Pokemon. Remember gen 5? 156 new Pokemon! You can't really not understand why people are disappointed. Also, this gen 1 milking is making me sick. Why does only gen 1 get so much special treatment? Most megas were gen 1 (including starters), now ALL Alola forms are gen 1. My first Pokemon game was Red, but I don't have this nostalgia everyone seems to have, I'd like other gens get some cool stuff. I seriously hope that in a future generation we'll be getting over 100 new mons again.
Look around other media. 90's nostalgia is the "in" thing right now and GF seems to have picked up on that. THAT is why gen 1 is getting so much love. Because the people who were fans of Pokemon back then are in their 20's now and can actually afford this stuff. GF knows this and are taking advantage of it. It's possible the gen 1 love will die down when the 90's nostalgia fad fades.

The smaller number of new Pokemon has been explained multiple times. The games being in 3D and it being much harder to make 3D models than sprites, GF not wanting to add a ton of new Pokemon each generation so new players don't get overwhelmed, etc.

I don't mind the smaller number but feel GF revealed too much. They should have only revealed around 20 or so.

Jacobson

Yea some people have said that. It still feels like a joke though because it's for a pokemon that doesn't make sense at all to have hair. If they did it for lets say like the machop line that would make some more sense a least. They just put blonde drag wigs on dugtrio which is impossible to not laugh at.

Someone on Reddit found the possible inspiration. Look up Pele's hair, which is a form of lava. Kind of smart, actually.

Leviticus20:13

Talonflame Falconer
Look around other media. 90's nostalgia is the "in" thing right now and GF seems to have picked up on that. THAT is why gen 1 is getting so much love. Because the people who were fans of Pokemon back then are in their 20's now and can actually afford this stuff. GF knows this and are taking advantage of it. It's possible the gen 1 love will die down when the 90's nostalgia fad fades.

The smaller number of new Pokemon has been explained multiple times. The games being in 3D and it being much harder to make 3D models than sprites, GF not wanting to add a ton of new Pokemon each generation so new players don't get overwhelmed, etc.

I don't mind the smaller number but feel GF revealed too much. They should have only revealed around 20 or so.

Plus all of these new abilities and moves and items will make it harder to test and debug all of these new pokemon. Guess things were simpler in Gen 5, not as many unique abilities and moves back then. If the new pokemon were more straightforward, battlewise, they might have been able to introduce more new pokemon.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

Would it have been that much harder just to give komala an evolution?

Bus

PMed him, just letting others know so he isn't potentially flooded with PMs.

Course if one includes alolan forms, the various Oricori forms, Lycanroc forms, etc. then we do indeed have over a 100 new pokemon.

I did too; I didnt see your post. Chances are he'll be flooded anyway lol. I'm willing to include Alola forms too, though including Lycanroc and Oricori forms is stretching it a bit. I guess Oricori is a little better to include since its appearance and typings chance (possibly its moveset too; we dont know) but Lycanroc really is just an aesthetic difference.

On a side note, since I just thought of it right now, if we breed an Oricori, how do we know which version we will get? You think it will depend on which island its finally hatched or will it be completely random?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Plus all of these new abilities and moves and items will make it harder to test and debug all of these new pokemon. Guess things were simpler in Gen 5, not as many unique abilities and moves back then. If the new pokemon were more straightforward, battlewise, they might have been able to introduce more new pokemon.
That's one thing I like about this gen, at least. GF is trying to make each Pokemon stand out in some way whether it be a unique feature, ability, move, etc. Most of the Pokemon this time around are more memorable.

Yeah, that surprised me too. That's the one Pokemon I think should have evolved.

Flamer

I'm fairly happy with the number of new Pokemon. 81 is a little on the small side, but for me the quality seems to be very high with this batch. Some really interesting back stories, designs, new mechanics etc. Combined with the Aloan forms gives us a nice amount to play with.

If anything I'd have hoped for a few more Aloan forms actually. Like Goldern_Latias pointed out, there's a wave of 90s nostalgia at the moment and I'm surprised GF didn't ride it further and give more Gen 1 pokes one. Would loved to have seen Aloan Arcanine and Abra line.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
On a side note, since I just thought of it right now, if we breed an Oricori, how do we know which version we will get? You think it will depend on which island its finally hatched or will it be completely random?

I personally hope that it is not random. I also hope that it is not island dependent either.
I mean, what if there is a great location to hatch eggs, but it is on a specific island. You would always get only that island's Oricorio in this case. But what if you wanted a different one, one from an island that has very little places to efficiently hatch eggs (or none at all that is efficient enough)? Sure, you would still do it, but what if you are hatching lots of eggs (MM's, high IV's, etc.)?
I personally hope that the hatchling might be the same as the parent. That would make it more consistent and made sure that you get the Oricorio you want.

Arcanineblitz

Maybe they're just future proofing and planning to give it an evo in another gen?

Arcanineblitz

But do they even do that anymore, what with mega evolution and all? That's one of the reasons one-shots bother me more now than they did in pre-Gen VI.

I'm sure GF knows that evolutions for older mons are popular and will make it happen again but for now I think they're just trying new things to invigorate the franchise.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I'm fairly happy with the number of new Pokemon. 81 is a little on the small side, but for me the quality seems to be very high with this batch. Some really interesting back stories, designs, new mechanics etc. Combined with the Aloan forms gives us a nice amount to play with.

If anything I'd have hoped for a few more Aloan forms actually. Like Goldern_Latias pointed out, there's a wave of 90s nostalgia at the moment and I'm surprised GF didn't ride it further and give more Gen 1 pokes one. Would loved to have seen Aloan Arcanine and Abra line.

Im sorry but its not 81.. UB's are not and never wil be Pokemon. Even if u can catch them.
And if we DO consider them as Pokemon, think of how MANY stand alone Pokemon we have this gen ! it's crazy

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I'm thinking more sneasel, electibuzz, absol, mawile, manetric etc.
Manectric, absol, and mawile got megas, which are NOT evolutions. You can't even mega evolve until post game now. We might never get new evolutions except possibly eevee again, so komala will just be one of those pokemon.

Arcanineblitz

Manectric, absol, and mawile got megas, which are NOT evolutions. You can't even mega evolve until post game now. We might never get new evolutions except possibly eevee again, so komala will just be one of those pokemon.

I'm well aware that they're mega evolutions but my point is that just because it lacks an evo now doesn't mean it wont atleast be relevant down the line

future.newyorker

Has it been confirmed that we can only buy clothes with Festival Coins? Or is that only for Festival Plaza and we can use regular money outside of it?

Squirtortoise

Just thought that I'd mention, now that Alolan Persian had an official sort of reveal and I got to see it, I kinda like it... I'm glad my bar was set low by everyone here lol.

Eeyore

Ghost,poison & steel
I agree with the person that said that the great failure of GF was not the small amount of new pokemon rather than they almost showed all new pokemon! (Just keep in secret the anchor, the spider and the crown of thorns plus alola forms of Persian and geodude line and a few ub).

Status
Not open for further replies.