• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus

For one, how do we know that "Many people have passed". And it's kind of contradictory that the challenge is a rite of passage, but at the same time it's treated like a competition. Also we would've seen the potential champion by now. Usually they introduce Champions before the game is realeased as just regular characters, and so far we haven't one yet that fits the bill.

It may be a rite of passage to complete one trial depending on the island you live on. For trainers or people who specialize in raising pokemon in the region, it becomes not so much a 'rite of passage' as it becomes a 'challenge' to try and pass all of the island trials instead of just the one. The 'Champion' would thus be the person who actually went and completed every trial and traveled the entire region instead of just the one that was deemed a 'rite of passage' for the town they lived in. It would be interesting if one of the early rumors was completely true in that our goal is actually establish a league by game's end. The post game could then be revisiting the old trial leaders as they are now Gym leaders. So far, we know that the 'Chinese Leak' was real and we could see some older 'strong' champions return (AZ, Lance, Cynthia, Zinnia, etc.) so they could actually form the basis of a league at the end as well.

Last edited:

R_N

Wouldn't that make the captains champions then? If all of them passed, then they're champions.

And maybe they stepped down after the fact to serve as trial captains?
They're certainly not considered champions now and are subservient to the kahunas.

Honestly the champion stuff has been kind of nonsense when you think about it. Several games' post games (& credit sequences!) consider you the champion and recognize this but i mean the champion is still like...there. Some of them even acknowledge seeing you again and such.

Now I kind of want the "champion" to be all the trial captains in a 7 in a row sequential battle. All with only one pokemon of course, can't get too crazy.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Wouldn't that make the captains champions then? If all of them passed, then they're champions.

Not necessarily. You can be appointed Champion, after all, as was the case with Alder. Odds are that's how the Champion is decided here, as the Kahunas are also appointed to their positions (albeit by the Island Guardian, but still). You need to not think of the Champion in the traditional sense, since traditional isn't really SuMo's forte. It's all about breaking those conventions!

BlitzGirl41

You don't like the Wimpod line?

Sadly, no. And with how pathetic the first form is and how crazy the evo is, I bet it will only evolve under specific circumstances.

Heliolisk is far from a bad pokemon (especially in-game), its got some nice abilities, a nice movepool, and slightly above average Special Attack and Speed. Not being OU tier doesn't make it weak.

I've been spoiled by Jolteon, I will admit, when it comes to Electric Types. I just tried Heliolisk out in X/Y and wasn't very impressed.

Gimmick or not, I don't see why one wouldn't want to use the cooler ones among them (Marowak, Sandslash).

I just don't like the idea of Alolan variants. Who needs to re-type and re-skin an old Pokemon to make it likable/usable? GF has serious confidence issues with the Pokemon fanbase, it seems.

And you like the Mudsdale and Jangmo-o lines but you don't like Vikavolt, Passimian, Wimpod or either of the Lycanrocs?

I like Midday Lycanroc, but unfortunately I am buying Moon because all of my friends are buying Sun (plus I find Lunala to be slightly more memorable and UB-02 Beauty is only slightly less ugly than Absorption). Also, the idea of a Bug/Electric Pokemon seems problematic, I don't even know if it will have good stats. It's design also is hard to connect to because it just looks like a bug, not a lot of character to it. Also, not a fan of the lemur and orangutan.

You have your personal tastes obviously, but I myself have a different team more or less chosen for both Sun and Moon consisting of only 7th gen and alolan form pokemon.

Sun:

Rowlet line
Rockruff line
Wimpod line
Jangmo-o line (Passimian in this slot until I can get it)
Salandit line/Alolan Marowak
Alolan Vulpix line

Moon:

Popplio line
Grubbin line
Pikipek line (tentative)
Fomantis line
Alolan Sandshrew line
Bubble spider line (tentative)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Is there even any confirmation the backpacker was talking about Alola? Or that he was anything more than GameFreak trolling us?

This isn't Ed Boon we're talking about.

Nothing ever goes into a Pokémon game without good reason. The backpacker was clearly referring to Alola. However, what may have happened is that around the time the backpacker's quote was written, the developers hadn't yet decided to not give Alola a traditional league.

Thus, while the backpacker's statement is genuine, it may no longer apply to what we now know of Alola.

WolfCypher

This isn't Ed Boon we're talking about.

Nothing ever goes into a Pokémon game without good reason. The backpacker was clearly referring to Alola. However, what may have happened is that around the time the backpacker's quote was written, the developers hadn't yet decided to not give Alola a traditional league.

Thus, while the backpacker's statement is genuine, it may no longer apply to what we now know of Alola.

Yeah, wasnt that line from XY put in the game well before Ohmori (or whatever his name) became the director? The new director most likely wanted to abandon gyms but the previous director who let the backpacker's line in XY didnt have that foresight.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
But what happened all of a sudden? I thought it was all over last week

Well, scrounging up animations and applying them to dummy data (ie using the Kukui and Lass models as stand-ins) probably just just took more time, is all.

lycanadam

Trainer
I dont know seems like a lot of holes still need to be filled from what Iv seen. Lot of evo lines that dont make sense. Cant wait to get the game in my hands in a couple of weeks!

And it is still treated as a competition because regardles of there being a current standing island champion, Kukui says a goal is to pass the challenge and become the strongest trainer in alola.

e: I'm further assuming that there's probably a bunch of people who try the challenges and don't pass, but the fact they tried is good enough to be considered a success in terms of being a rite of passage.
I'm under the same impression. The description of trial captains just says that they undertook some trials during their own challenge. Not all the trials nor that they completed/won that time's island challenge.
But what happened all of a sudden? I thought it was all over last week
The dataminers said that they would still dig and post more stuff if they found anything, just not make more of the "Datamine Video - Part#" videos.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Ohh ok, so I dont expect getting any important information (Like new Pokemon etc)

Yeah, probably not. All the Dex/Pokemon images have already leaked, so we shouldn't expect any other bombshells out of the datamine.

There's no happening like a Pokemon Happening. What a time to be alive.

What a time to be a Pokemon fan...

The 20th anniversary really is going all the way. S/M has the potential to be the best pair of games in this series yet.

LunalaLover

It looks indeed like the Aether foundation could be bad...

Everlasting

Everything stays.
All these zoom in on Kukui's body. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I agree. I got this villainous vibe from Aether's battle animations... The simple fact that we even have battle animations should already ring a bell.

Did we get to fight the opposite 'good side' team in R/S/ORAS ? Just to get some comparison here.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

And I for one am glad. A chief complaint that arises every Generation is the lack of diversity when it comes to the evil team's (or I guess "Sinister Organization" is the official term now) selection of Pokemon. By having 2 simultaneous groups with entirely different images we can theoretically see a doubling in the roster of Pokemon the villains use.

All these zoom in on Kukui's body. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I agree. I got this villainous vibe from Aether's battle animations... The simple fact that we even have battle animations should already ring a bell.

Did we get to fight the opposite 'good side' team in R/S/ORAS ? Just to get some comparison here.

Only in Emerald, but the two were also treated as almost the same gameplay-wise, having very similar line ups of Mons and being fought in the same locations.

Last edited:

R_N

The only way Aether being evil could have been less of a surprise is if aether higher ups look like these 2
150px-XY_Lysandre.png
150px-Black_White_Ghetsis.png

Although I am smidge surprised Lusamine seems to be the big final aether boss, judging by the final aether one causing kukui to be seen like that and the super sparkly background. I kind of figured Faba or Wicke would wind up the real aether villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.