• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

Akashin pretty much said what I would've said, except I'll also add the additional pain of having to deal with the honey mechanic multiple times on top of that.

At the very least, they could've put it in a patch of grass, forcing the player to wait, and then pray that you get the right roll with the RNG was not just cruel, it was downright evil.

Except this is game related, I don't think any of us have an issue with its design being 'too feminine' or whatever (the worst complaints I've seen it get is that it's too bland).

I'm pretty sure Salandit can be found in the grass like normal.

And I know it's not an issue with it being feminine, not it seems to be an issue that it can't be only female. And your making it sound like the species being mostly female is an injustice.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
And here we go with the female issues again.

The difference here is that Salandit's species is explicitly said to have an advantage if the Salandit is female. It makes sense for people to be concerned by Salandit's potential evolution being female only. Vespiquen still makes us shudder.
It's not about whether or not the design for Salandit's evolution is 'too feminine'. Had we come back to this dumb ""issue"", I would've whooped some butts already.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
So, I've been watching the battle intros...

- Terrains include Grass, Calm Water, Rough Water, Cave/Mountain, Desert, Yellow Flowers, Red Flowers, Snow, Pale Grass, and something I can't distinguish (probably plain ground/inside buildings).
- Yellow and blue for ordinary trainers (single & double), probably represents Day & Night respectively.
- Colorful and sparkly. Champion maybe.
- Fighting (hit marks), Rock (rocks), Flying (feathers) and Ghost (mist). Unsure on the last, but it's most likely the the Kahunas'.
- 2 instances of Yellow special intros. Confirmed for Hau as seen on the E3 demo.
- 1 instance of Green special intro.
- 1 instance of Red special intro.
- 4 instances of swirling bgs (orange, dark brown, black, and brown). Orange confirmed for Hala as seen on the introductory trailer.
- 4 Skull intros. Probably Grunts (single & double), Admins, then Guzma
- 3 Aether intros. First 2 seems ordinary, so I'm guessing Grunts/Wicke/Faba (single & double), then the last one is special (probably Lusamine).
- Wormhole/Vortex. Legendaries most likely.
- Totem intro.
- <Pokemon> appeared! with plain bg -- I'm guessing this is for the Tapu since the Pokemon seem to have landed from above.
- <Pokemon> appeared! with red power surge -- I'm guessing it's the UBs.
- Special blue bg with 4 different variations. Says "You are challenged by <Trainer>".

Ver-mont

- 4 instances of swirling bgs (orange, dark brown, black, and brown). Orange confirmed for Hala as seen on the introductory trailer.

Dark brown confirmed for Olivia in her Japanese trailer.

We can assume black and light brown belong to the remaining two Kahunas.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
- Fighting (hit marks), Rock (rocks), Flying (feathers) and Ghost (mist). Unsure on the last, but it's most likely the the Kahunas'.

So wait, the kahunas would have two different battle intro animations ?
Would that make sense ?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
The difference here is that Salandit's species is explicitly said to have an advantage if the Salandit is female. It makes sense for people to be concerned by Salandit's potential evolution being female only. Vespiquen still makes us shudder.
It's not about whether or not the design for Salandit's evolution is 'too feminine'. Had we come back to this dumb ""issue"", I would've whooped some butts already.

Damn straight. I don't need more Poppliovely/Brionne nonsense going on. They're here, they're feminine, they're fabulous, deal with it!

But on the Salandit front, Unfezant is said to be a better flier, but that didn't mean that the females were actually stronger or faster. Basically, the descriptions of Mons are sometimes just flavor text that does not actually give way to in-game changes or differences. I mean, this is a franchise that gave us goats that could lactate, even when male, so keep that in mind when debating this topic.

Would that make sense ?

It's unlikely. As has been said, it looks like our last Kahuna is Miss Mary Mudsdale, so they don't seem to add up.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Would that make sense ?

It would make sense for post-game battle, or if we rebattle them again, this time as Elite Four before the Champion.
I dunno.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Wait, what? What's wrong with Vespiquen being a female-only evolution? The honey mechanic and finding a female Combee was one of the most fun things I ever done in a Pokemon game. Vespiquen's one of my favorite pokemon and if Salandit2 has similar mechanics, I'm totally down for it.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well Game Freak might taking more time to create new Pokémon since these are 3d models and not 2D pixels as well animion the movement of them in battle

Hmmm that's a good point, I guess I didn't factor that into my thoughts about the small number of new pokemon in the Sun and Moon data leak. Still, I think that Gamefreak should've focused exclusively on making new Gen 7 pokemon instead of designing gimmicky stuff like Ultra Beasts and Alolan forms. :[

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Damn straight. I don't need more Poppliovely/Brionne nonsense going on. They're here, they're feminine, they're fabulous, deal with it!

But on the Salandit front, Unfezant is said to be a better flier, but that didn't mean that the females were actually stronger or faster. Basically, the descriptions of Mons are sometimes just flavor text that does not actually give way to in-game changes or differences. I mean, this is a franchise that gave us goats that could lactate, even when male, so keep that in mind when debating this topic.

It's unlikely. As has been said, it looks like our last Kahuna is Miss Mary Mudsdale, so they don't seem to add up.
For all we know Salandit's evolution could have an important gender difference like Unfezant had. Could the Pokédex only picture one of them or the dataminers would've found out about it if it was the case ?
I mean, if they just never bothered making a male Salandit evolution 'registered!' Pokédex picture, the dataminers would not be able to know, since it simply doesn't exist.

It would make sense for post-game battle, or if we rebattle them again, this time as Elite Four before the Champion.
I dunno.

I do think JV has a point here. It doesn't seem to add up: the first animations seem to represent Fighting (punches), Flying (feathers), Ghost (mist) and Rock (rocks), whereas the second animations are of orange, dark brown, black, and brown colors.
It's pretty strange. Unless they decided to associate Flying and Ghost with brownish-dark colors, up 'till now these two types still seemed to be strongly attached to pale blue and purple.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
For all we know Salandit's evolution could have an important gender difference like Unfezant had. Could the Pokédex only picture one of them or the dataminers would've found out about it if it was the case ?

I'm smelling what you're stepping in, but sadly that does not seem to be the case. All other Mons have their gender differences accounted for, so we would have seen multiple models if Sashlandit had separate male and female forms. Oddly enough, no Gen 7 Mons seem to have Gender differences, which is a first ever since they were introduced in Gen 4.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I do think JV has a point here. It doesn't seem to add up: the first animations seem to represent Fighting (punches), Flying (feathers), Ghost (mist) and Rock (rocks), whereas the second animations are of orange, dark brown, black, and brown colors.
It's pretty strange. Unless they decided to associate Flying and Ghost with brownish-dark colors, up 'till now these two types still seemed to be strongly attached to pale blue and purple.

I know that it is strange. But it's not a coincidence that two different intros share the same type (Fighting and Rock).
Hmmm...........

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I know that it is strange. But it's not a coincidence that two different intros share the same type (Fighting and Rock).
Hmmm...........

I'm still on board with them being the animations for Black Belts, Hikers, Bird Keepers, and Hex Maniacs. After all, they do result in a pretty standard background along the same lines as other standard Trainer classes, just in different colors.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm smelling what you're stepping in, but sadly that does not seem to be the case. All other Mons have their gender differences accounted for, so we would have seen multiple models if Sashlandit had separate male and female forms. Oddly enough, no Gen 7 Mons seem to have Gender differences, which is a first ever since they were introduced in Gen 4.
But here's the thing:

[IMG139]http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pichu4.jpg[/IMG139]

Pikachu has a noticeable gender difference, yet the Pokédex registering picture doesn't show off both forms of Pikachu. Couldn't they have done the same with Salandit's evolution ?
Unless this screenshot is too old and its validity on the matter has been disproven recently.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I'm still on board with them being the animations for Black Belts, Hikers, Bird Keepers, and Hex Maniacs. After all, they do result in a pretty standard background along the same lines as other standard Trainer classes, just in different colors.

I seriously doubt that ordinary trainers would be given special intros.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
But here's the thing:

Pikachu has a noticeable gender difference, yet the Pokédex registering picture doesn't show off both forms of Pikachu. Couldn't they have done the same with Salandit's evolution ?
Unless this screenshot is too old and its validity on the matter has been disproven recently.

Yes, but Pikachu has Dex images for both genders:

wZTeatlfxQGkkYczHsm4n2b7AeQGIS_6Fvl5jhLR2Nei57JTsSjrHwjsEpjJP1w2SwPJ6Fx116of5wA=w1394-h804

rnvojv-BRWlvFPfcpKEyoPd8BeJ8b0RjrYjMNMG8AXpCoFrKftixLX4gLdj6GuA-gqrElF0e0gqdUYI=w1394-h804

As do all other Mons with gender differences. Nada for Sashlandit, though.

I seriously doubt that ordinary trainers would be given special intros.

Yeah, maybe, but the animations aren't too different from the standard ones. I don't see it as being much of a stretch.

future.newyorker

But here's the thing:

This is just the register screen, other forms wouldn't be on this screen. Plus, in order for both forms to be in the pokedex, you have to have had seen both forms.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm pretty sure Salandit can be found in the grass like normal.

And I know it's not an issue with it being feminine, not it seems to be an issue that it can't be only female. And your making it sound like the species being mostly female is an injustice.
I'm pretty certain Taodragon was only saying that the injustice would be if a female Salandit was as difficult to find as female Combee originally were.

I mean, this is a franchise that gave us goats that could lactate, even when male, so keep that in mind when debating this topic.
Actually that is one thing with a factual basis, as some male goats are able to lactate.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Yes, but Pikachu has Dex images for both genders:

wZTeatlfxQGkkYczHsm4n2b7AeQGIS_6Fvl5jhLR2Nei57JTsSjrHwjsEpjJP1w2SwPJ6Fx116of5wA=w1394-h804

rnvojv-BRWlvFPfcpKEyoPd8BeJ8b0RjrYjMNMG8AXpCoFrKftixLX4gLdj6GuA-gqrElF0e0gqdUYI=w1394-h804

As do all other Mons with gender differences. Nada for Sashlandit, though.

Ah, see, this is what I was unsure if you had understood my point or not. Thanks for clearing this up!

Mh. Back to square one then. I honestly don't see anything that would make Salandit's evolution gender exclusive, but I can definitely see its species afflicted with different gender ratios. It might even act like Meowstic, but without gender differences.
Who knows. It is a fact that queen bees are female only; salamanders don't have such gender selective evolution that I am aware of, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.