• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
On top of that, for the Mega Special to work, the events of ORAS would have to be concurrent with the events of XY to fit into the timeline. That isn't possible as ORAS has a number of things that show it predates XY by a good few years such as the Royal Unova being in construction (and BW predates XY as a couple NPCs refer to its events) and Mr. Bonding. It's easier to just take it as fanservice, an allusion to a popular anime character with little depth that isn't meant to be taken any more seriously then that.

TyLogic

I don't understand the conflicting opinions. Is this about the game referencing the anime, or the Ash-Pikachu?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that whatever happens. each one will keep its own timeline.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I don't see how it could have. Alain's entire history, including his Charizard's ability to Mega Evolve, is linked to Team Flare, but Team Flare's plot in the anime was vastly different from the games. Mega Rayquaza is something Steven definitely didn't know about at the start of the Delta Episode, but if he did see it "a long time ago now" that clearly wouldn't be the case. On top of that, anime!Steven has a Shiny Metagross, but when your game character gets this Pokemon, it's a Beldum. There are too many little inconsistencies here and it's pretty clear to me that the ME Special reference was never meant to be canon within the games.
On top of that, for the Mega Special to work, the events of ORAS would have to be concurrent with the events of XY to fit into the timeline. That isn't possible as ORAS has a number of things that show it predates XY by a good few years such as the Royal Unova being in construction (and BW predates XY as a couple NPCs refer to its events) and Mr. Bonding. It's easier to just take it as fanservice, an allusion to a popular anime character with little depth that isn't meant to be taken any more seriously then that.
But if the events of the ME special didn't happen in the games, then what was Steven even talking about?

Ver-mont

But if the events of the ME special didn't happen in the games, then what was Steven even talking about?

A similar event that happened in the game universe.

It was just a reference, it doesn't mean the ME special is remotely canon for the games.

goodpeople25

So do people run around by holding down the B button in their pockets or whatever to activate their running shoes to you? Or is the instruction manual or people talking about stuff like that just a means to tell us how to do stuff? I think the same Principle applies here.

clbgolden12

So do people run around by holding down the B button in their pockets or whatever to activate their running shoes to you? Or is the instruction manual or people talking about stuff like that just a means to tell us how to do stuff? I think the same Principle applies here.
Except this isn't talking about game instructions, it's talking about an actual event.

Orphalesion

Well we do know that Red has a Mega Charizard X in Origins. In the universe of the games, Steven might have referred to him. Which of course means Red might have a Mega Charizard in Sun and Moon....which means we get to beat it up.

But it wouldn't make sense. The events of the games are clearly not canon in the anime, so why would the opposite be true? Unless the big twist of the upcoming season is that the game universe and anime universe collide, Marvel Secret Wars Convergence style, I can only see the Ashachu forms being Event exclusives.

Plot Twist: the Pikachu with Ash's head is actually Ash and his Pikachu fused together due to the effects of Gamefreak: Secret Wars. It's literally Ashachu...

glacialcat

... I don't quite understand.

They are saying that NPC dialogue cannot always be 100% taken literally. Or else NPCs that explain to you how to run are implying that your character literally has a B button somewhere on their body they must hold to initiate running.

I'm not sure I agree that this implies that Steven's comments are noncanon, but that is the intent.

This is how I believe it.

The anime and games are certainly in separate universes, but it doesn't mean every anime event didn't happen. In the game universe, the ME special happens, but in that version the plot is resolved and Ash is absent from all events. So it did happen, just not how the anime tells it.

TyLogic

I heard that the Sun and Moon anime is supposed to be a comedy. Is that true? If it is, then I can't see Ash going on much adventures, especially if he has to attend school.

On the bright side, I guess that would mean that there would be less anime references in the game. (Unless you visited a trainers school)

clbgolden12

I heard that the Sun and Moon anime is supposed to be a comedy. Is that true? If it is, then I can't see Ash going on much adventures, especially if he has to attend school.

On the bright side, I guess that would mean that there would be less anime references in the game. (Unless you visited a trainers school)
Yeah that's true.

However, according to some of the blurbs he still will be exploring.

TyLogic

Yeah that's true.

I can't really imagine him travelling far if he has to return home. How is that supposed to work?

Even with this I'm pretty sure that the current conflict would still be a problem. (But, like I said, only if you visited trainer schools)

Orphalesion

Wasn't the anime always a comedy, more or less?

Sure it had it's emotional and serious moments but the bulk of it was always very lighthearted and comedic, complete with running gags and all. (Unless things have changed drastically since the original series)

clbgolden12

I can't really imagine him travelling far if he has to return home. How is that supposed to work?

Even with this I'm pretty sure that the current conflict would still be a problem. (But, like I said, only if you visited trainer schools)
Given that Alola is just a series of islands, you can just go out somewhere then return.

Wasn't the anime always a comedy, more or less?

Sure it had it's emotional and serious moments but the bulk of it was always very lighthearted and comedic, complete with running gags and all. (Unless things have changed drastically since the original series)
It's always kind of been a "comedy", but not too much. This series it seems to clearly be one (heck, they even outright said it).

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Well we do know that Red has a Mega Charizard X in Origins. In the universe of the games, Steven might have referred to him. Which of course means Red might have a Mega Charizard in Sun and Moon....which means we get to beat it up.

Plot Twist: the Pikachu with Ash's head is actually Ash and his Pikachu fused together due to the effects of Gamefreak: Secret Wars. It's literally Ashachu...

I actually do think Ash will have a Mega Charizard. He has that bracelet thing, after all. That said, I would rather it be Megazard Y, just to help mix things up, but if not...let it get beat!

BIGGER PLOT TWIST: GF was drawing on this as influence for Ashachu all along: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ashachu

It's always kind of been a "comedy", but not too much. This series it seems to clearly be one (heck, they even outright said it).

I got a comedy feel from the early episode, especially due to all the slapstick. Oh, and Ash had personality (I'm glad they're bringing that back), which lent to the comedy. Seriously, the kid has his first kiss (with an actual human, at least), and be barely reacts at all. It's like he has no emotion at all...oh my God! It all makes sense, his toned down personality, his obliviousness to Serena's advances, the fact that he doesn't age...Ash was replaced by a robot! Ash is a Terminator, confirmed!

But yeah, as has been discussed, the anime cann and game canon are separate, but the two universes occasionally overlap, ala Events like the Shiny Genesect, Cilan's Pansage, etc., and even the appearance of the Spiky Ear Pichu and Aura Sphere Riolu. The two versions of the Pokemon World aren't the same, but the aren't entirely dissimilar, either. Still, there is no Ash in the games, that's for sure.

Hauke_von_Arding

Yeah that's true.

Where was it confirmed it will be comedy?

I got a comedy feel from the early episode, especially due to all the slapstick. Oh, and Ash had personality (I'm glad they're bringing that back), which lent to the comedy. Seriously, the kid has his first kiss (with an actual human, at least), and be barely reacts at all. It's like he has no emotion at all...oh my God! It all makes sense, his toned down personality, his obliviousness to Serena's advances, the fact that he doesn't age...Ash was replaced by a robot! Ash is a Terminator, confirmed!

Did you even watch at Ash...? His eyes were sparkling and he smiled afterwards. Of course he didn't react much because of surprice but you can clearly see emotions on his face.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.