• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Maybe they'll flip it. I'm not sure how often they do that, but it's a possibility.

I doubt it. Morelull's evolution seems to be a combination of a morel and a cantharellus, which are mushrooms with a frilly cap(similar to Morelull's evo) and they are edible mushrooms. I doubt they'd make it poison type, it's wishful thinking IMO.

TyLogic

I doubt it. Morelull's evolution seems to be a combination of a morel and a cantharellus, which are mushrooms with a frilly cap(similar to Morelull's evo) and they are edible mushrooms. I doubt they'd make it poison type, it's wishful thinking IMO.

I guess so...With the lack of new Pokemon, I just want them to be memorable. The only Pokemon that seems forgotten so far is Komala.

GreenTorchic

I guess so...With the lack of new Pokemon, I just want them to be memorable. The only Pokemon that seems forgotten so far is Komala.

On the contrary, I think everyone remembers Komala precisely because of how annoyed they are that it didn't get an evolution.

TyLogic

On the contrary, I think everyone remembers Komala precisely because of how annoyed they are that it didn't get an evolution.

They still could've gave it an evolution...

We don't know its stats or moveset so I guess its to early to say.

Kangaflora

I'm actually GLAD that we UK Trainers are getting Sun and Moon five days later than the rest of the world because it gives us five days to plan out our strategies against them, but also gives us more time to plan our teams too. They did this with ORAS, and we ended up alright.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
So, there was a "trend" that, in every odd numbered generation, there is a two-stage, pure Poison-type, blob-like Pokemon. However, I don't think that we have one in this generation. You'd think that after generation 6, they'd give the Poison-type more Pokemon (Kind of like how they did with the Bug-type). So far, the only Poison-types that we have are Salandit and it's evolution (assumingly).

The crown-of-thorns Pokémon and its evolution have the potential to be Poison. We could still get our Poison/Fairy if Morelull doesn't evolve into one! :D

But yeah, I think those two lines might be the only Poison types we get this time around (discounting potential Poison UBs).

TyLogic

The crown-of-thorns Pokémon and its evolution have the potential to be Poison. We could still get our Poison/Fairy if Morelull doesn't evolve into one! :D

But yeah, I think those two lines might be the only Poison types we get this time around (discounting potential Poison UBs).

That's kind of sad. And there seems to be an equal possibility that the sea urchin isn't Poison.
Let's hope that they throw a curve ball.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm betting (and hoping) that the Crown of Thorns Pokémon is Water/Poison.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I'm betting (and hoping) that the Crown of Thorns Pokémon is Water/Poison.

I bet it's Steel/Poison. We have very few poison types and steel types, and it's entirely possible it isn't even part water even though it appears to be a sea Pokemon, remember we do have Stunfisk.

R_N

My worst fear is it's pure water. Like when pyukumuku was first shown and we didn't have a type, a lot of people figured maybe water/fighting or water/rock or w/e but nope
pure water

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My worst fear is it's pure water. Like when pyukumuku was first shown and we didn't have a type, a lot of people figured maybe water/fighting or water/rock or w/e but nope
pure water

That would be the worst. I'd have to guess it be a combination of Water, Poison, and Steel, and I'm hoping for Steel/Poison. I mean just look at the evolution, it looks like it has a spiked fortress around itself and the color looks very poison-esque.

lopunnie

Hold on there, friend! Even though it shares the name, Morelull and its evolution really don't have a whole lot of similarities with morels. The big problem for me is that they both lack the distinctive ridges on their caps, the things that make morels so famous. I can see the similarities with cantharellus, but their gills don't deviate from the stem, like in Morelull's evolution.

When I first saw them, especially the evolution, they really reminded me of parasol mushrooms. They grow in clusters like the ones on Morelull's head, and furrow out to show their frills once they mature, like in its evolution. They also commonly form fairy rings (hence the Fairy typing), but! Chlorophyllum molybdites are the mushrooms most commonly mistaken for parasol mushrooms, are poisonous, grow in Hawaii, and they have scales on their rounded, flat caps like you can baaaarely see on Morelull's evolution!

I think it's highly likely that its evolution drops its Grass type for Poison, especially since we already have one Grass/Fairy in Tapu Bulu. :)

glacialcat

One thing to always pay attention to when looking at the inspiration for certain Pokemon is in the names in other languages, especially Japanese. Morelull's Japanese name actually does not relate to morel mushrooms at all. It is "Nemashu," which is a combination of the words for "Sleep" and "mushroom."

The Korean and Chinese names are similarly a combination of words for "sleep" and "generic mushroom." The German name is a combination of "fungus" and "sleep." The French name is a combination of "Spore" and "sleep."

It is only the English name (and the Spanish and Italian names, but they are almost always identical to the English name) that references a specific type of mushroom.

I generally believe that if most languages, or even just the Japanese name, reference a specific species or animal, the Pokemon is based on that species. But if only one language does it, it probably is just to make a good pun in that language. And Morelull is a good pun in English.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Hold on there, friend! Even though it shares the name, Morelull and its evolution really don't have a whole lot of similarities with morels. The big problem for me is that they both lack the distinctive ridges on their caps, the things that make morels so famous. I can see the similarities with cantharellus, but their gills don't deviate from the stem, like in Morelull's evolution.

When I first saw them, especially the evolution, they really reminded me of parasol mushrooms. They grow in clusters like the ones on Morelull's head, and furrow out to show their frills once they mature, like in its evolution. They also commonly form fairy rings (hence the Fairy typing), but! Chlorophyllum molybdites are the mushrooms most commonly mistaken for parasol mushrooms, are poisonous, grow in Hawaii, and they have scales on their rounded, flat caps like you can baaaarely see on Morelull's evolution!

I think it's highly likely that its evolution drops its Grass type for Poison, especially since we already have one Grass/Fairy in Tapu Bulu. :)

Yeah, the first one (Morel mushrooms) looks similar in shape but they do lack other features, and the fairy circle thing is quite plausible as well.

SIDE NOTE: That thing you just did...That's my thing.You're stealing my thunder and I want it stop-NOW!
Just kidding friend.
Are you new? I haven't seen you before. If so, then welcome! :D

Last edited:

lopunnie

Yeah, the first one (Morel mushrooms) looks similar in shape but they do lack other features, and the fairy circle thing is quite plausible as well.

SIDE NOTE: That thing you just did in the first sentence...That's my thing...You're stealing my thunder and I want it stop-NOW!
Just kidding friend.
Are you new? I haven't seen you before. If so, then welcome! :D

Certainly! Between Morelull's cap and its english name (glacialcat has a good point with the naming conventions! Thank you for pointing that out!) I can definitely see why people would think it's modeled after the morel! But I'm a little surprised that no one else thought of parasol mushrooms, or even veiled ladies because of the frills and the general cap shape. It's also worth noting that chlorophyllum molybdites has a ring on its stem, kind of like how Morelull's evolution looks like it's wearing pants!

(Side Note: Oops, sorry about that, friend!
Hehe, but yes, I am new! I really appreciate the welcome!)

TyLogic

Certainly! Between Morelull's cap and its english name (glacialcat has a good point with the naming conventions! Thank you for pointing that out!) I can definitely see why people would think it's modeled after the morel! But I'm a little surprised that no one else thought of parasol mushrooms, or even veiled ladies because of the frills and the general cap shape. It's also worth noting that chlorophyllum molybdites has a ring on its stem, kind of like how Morelull's evolution looks like it's wearing pants!

(Side Note: Oops, sorry about that, friend!
Hehe, but yes, I am new! I really appreciate the welcome!)

Yeah, makes sense. Morelull and it's evolution are interesting. Morelull2's "pants" look like a Jigglypuff to me. I hope it doesn't keep Illuminate as an Ability though. Let's hope for something else. So far, if I get one, it will have Effect Spore. Then again, I might choose Rowlet, so I don't know.

SIDE NOTE: Your welcome! :D

Gohankuten

I bet it's Steel/Poison. We have very few poison types and steel types, and it's entirely possible it isn't even part water even though it appears to be a sea Pokemon, remember we do have Stunfisk.

Looking at it's placement in the dex order it's right in there among the water pokemon that get caught via fishing so it's highly likely to be part water and caught by fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.