• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Thunder Tiger

Bummer that the starters have no Split Evos, that is as how the demo so far shows, but I don't mind as I got used to Litten's final design anyways via good fanart. Looks like the secret of the starters may be Battle Bond after all as speculated. At least I did call one thing....Litten's shiny....is WHITE! Huzzah! I called it first!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1295673

Also, nice to see that Solgaleo and Lunala appear to have pre-evos, with once again, Solgaleo's looks superior. Wimpod's evo also looks awesome, looking some armored monster crab-thingy along with Salandit's evo being very nice looking and natural. Truly a seducer. The toucan is also pretty awesome. Props to the one who called that was going to be Pikipek's evo. Also, it looks like Marshadow is indeed a Mythical Pokémon in the same vein as Victini/Celebi, etc. Looks pretty cool, meaning it looks like there is no supposed Eclipse Pokémon unless Marshadow is the one.

I will say though that Alolan Persian isn't only ugly (the cat really became a fat-headed snob so it seems), but the rest of the alolan forms is way too...minor? The rest that didn't get revealed also look...I don't know, lame. Like really, Dugtrio getting a blond wig? Like why? Ninetales and Vulpix still looks best in Alolan Forms. At least they look different. Also, its strange that Zygarde, nor Type: Null's evo isn't included in the datamine if this is supposed to be the full thing.

Finally, I haven't seen the dolphin, nor the snowman leak come true, unless the dolphin is one of the Tapus (Psychic/Fairy), and the snow/yeti-looking thing is Crabrawler's evo, because that white thing with the big paws looks like it evolves from Crabrawler.

But overall though, if this is the full datamine, which I expect it is, the amount of new Pokémon is somewhat the same like XYZ, ending with 72 new Pokémon, minus Alolan Forms and Ultra Beasts.

Last edited:

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Only 35 new evolution families, not counting alolan Gen1 or legendaries/ub and the arceus clone. Gen6 had 31. What an improvement.

BCVM22

I'm not going to let it ruin the whole game, but I'm also not going to be an apologist for gamefreak. They made a bunch of mostly color swaps or minor design changes for kanto pokemon...because gen 1.

Again, I'm sorry they didn't give you exactly what you wanted. That is your complaint - "I wanted this Pokémon to evolve and they didn't do it, so it's clearly a mistake on their part."

Pointing out the undercurrent of absurdity that runs through complaints of that nature doesn't make someone an apologist.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Was hoping for a few more Pokemon. Maybe the demo left some out a man can dream

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
The fact that is a conscious decision makes it seem worse....like they actually are running out of ideas, the thing that genwunners always say. Could they really not think of an evolution design for komala?

Running out of ideas? Then why do the 80 pokemon we did get come with so many unique abilities, moves and concepts? They probaby just want to slow down, 800 pokemon is an awful lot. And hey, maybe they decided Komala didn't need one, I don't really care if a pokemon is competitively viable. :)

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
But that is just me.

I guess so. I don't see what's anymore "incomplete" about pyukumuku than, say, Farfetch'd or Stunfisk or Dunsparce or any number of other single stage pokemon. I just don't understand all the venom and bile just because some people's expectations weren't met.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Or maybe the transition to an entirely new style of graphics means taking baby steps?

Their first fully 3D main game had 72 new pokemon and 48 forms of old ones. Their second one has 81 new pokemon and 18 forms of old ones. This shows progress, not regress. They are slowly gaining the confidence to focus more on new mons and becoming less dependent on the old mons. If this is truly accurate, by Gen 8 we could see 100+ new pokemon, and very few forms of old pokemon, if any.

That's really honestly not a good excuse. They had xy, and oras to "get used to it". Look at just other 3ds games that have tons and tons of content in them. What will happen when they get to the nx and it is a brand new engine again that is even more advanced? Will there be 50 pokemon in gen 8?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
These prior-gen Pokemon are only those who have sprites in the demo.
So I can only deduce that these Pokemon are those only part of the Alolan Regional Dex.

[spoil]Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Rattata
Raticate
Spearow
Fearow
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Clefairy
Clefable
Vulpix
Ninetales
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Zubat
Golbat
Paras
Parasect
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Poliwrath
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Tantacool
Tentacruel
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Grimer
Muk
Shellder
Cloyster
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Drowzee
Hypno
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Cubone
Marowak
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu
Starmie
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Magikarp
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Porygon
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite

Ledyba
Ledian
Spinarak
Ariados
Crobat
Chinchou
Lanturn
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Espeon
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Misdreavus
Snubull
Granbull
Scizor
Sneasel
Corsola
Delibird
Skarmory
Porygon2
Smeargle
Elekid
Magby
Miltank
Blissey

Wingull
Pelipper
Surskit
Masquerain
Makuhita
Hariyama
Nosepass
Sableye
Carvanha
Sharpedo
Wailmer
Wailord
Torkoal
Spinda
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Barboach
Whiscash
Feebas
Milotic
Castform
Absol
Snorunt
Glalie
Relicanth
Luvdisc
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Beldum
Metang
Metagross

Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Shellos
Gastrodon
Drifloon
Drifblim
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Bonsly
Happiny
Gible
Gabite
Garchomp
Munchlax
Riolu
Lucario
Finneon
Lumineon
Weavile
Magnezone
Electivire
Magmortar
Leafeon
Glaceon
Porygon-Z
Probopass
Froslass

Lillipup
Herdier
Stoutland
Roggenrola
Boldore
Gigalith
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Petilil
Lilligant
Sandile
Krokorok
Krookodile
Tirtouga
Carracosta
Archen
Archeops
Trubbish
Garbodor
Vanillite
Vanillish
Vanniluxe
Emolga
Alomomola
Rufflet
Braviary
Vullaby
Mandibuzz

Fletchling
Fletchinder
Talonflame
Pancham
Pangoro
Sylveon
Carbink
Goomy
Sliggoo
Goodra
Klefki
Phantump
Trevenant
Zygarde[/spoil]

Total of 221 old Pokemon (including those with Alolan Forms)

Cradily17

*sigh* It looks like my concerns about having another gen with few Pokémon were warranted. I guess I just have to face the reality that GameFreak wants to slow down on making new Pokémon and focus more on forms. For example, the Oricorio forms and Lycanroc forms could have easily had separate Dex slots but they didn't. Oh well. At least a lot of the new Pokémon look great. I love Salandit's evo. It looks beautiful. The Ultra Beasts are strange and fascinating as well.

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
I'm not going to let it ruin the whole game, but I'm also not going to be an apologist for gamefreak. They made a bunch of mostly color swaps or minor design changes for kanto pokemon...because gen 1.

I see it more as an update to Pokemon that were on the verge of being forgotten or not as significant anymore. This is all very subjective, as well, as I always loved the original Ninetales, but to some Pokemon who suffer massively from their stats/weaknesses it is a welcome upgrade. Looking at Muk for example. Though yeah, the Normal/Dark ones will suffer even more from the Fighting type weakness.

But i always thought that Meowth line, Rattata line and the Muk line should have been part dark typed Pokemon. Dugtrio getting its Hawaii version, maybe becoming Ground/Water type will be interesting, too. I'm glad I can treat most of them as "new" Pokemon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
These prior-gen Pokemon are only those who have sprites in the demo.
So I can only deduce that these Pokemon are those only part of the Alolan Regional Dex.

[spoil]Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Rattata
Raticate
Spearow
Fearow
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Clefairy
Clefable
Vulpix
Ninetales
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Zubat
Golbat
Paras
Parasect
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Poliwrath
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Tantacool
Tentacruel
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Grimer
Muk
Shellder
Cloyster
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Drowzee
Hypno
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Cubone
Marowak
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu
Starmie
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Magikarp
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Porygon
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite

Ledyba
Ledian
Spinarak
Ariados
Crobat
Chinchou
Lanturn
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Espeon
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Misdreavus
Snubull
Granbull
Scizor
Sneasel
Corsola
Delibird
Skarmory
Porygon2
Smeargle
Elekid
Magby
Miltank
Blissey

Wingull
Pelipper
Surskit
Masquerain
Makuhita
Hariyama
Nosepass
Sableye
Carvanha
Sharpedo
Wailmer
Wailord
Torkoal
Spinda
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Barboach
Whiscash
Feebas
Milotic
Castform
Absol
Snorunt
Glalie
Relicanth
Luvdisc
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Beldum
Metang
Metagross

Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Shellos
Gastrodon
Drifloon
Drifblim
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Bonsly
Happiny
Gible
Gabite
Garchomp
Munchlax
Riolu
Lucario
Finneon
Lumineon
Weavile
Magnezone
Electivire
Magmortar
Leafeon
Glaceon
Porygon-Z
Probopass
Froslass

Lillipup
Herdier
Stoutland
Roggenrola
Boldore
Gigalith
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Petilil
Lilligant
Sandile
Krokorok
Krookodile
Tirtouga
Carracosta
Archen
Archeops
Trubbish
Garbodor
Vanillite
Vanillish
Vanniluxe
Emolga
Alomomola
Rufflet
Braviary
Vullaby
Mandibuzz

Fletchling
Fletchinder
Talonflame
Pancham
Pangoro
Sylveon
Carbink
Goomy
Sliggoo
Goodra
Klefki
Phantump
Trevenant
Zygarde[/spoil]

Total of 221 old Pokemon (including those with Alolan Forms)

So, if they are to be equally divided, new pokes included, it would be roughly 75 pokemon per island dex.

Julia Artemis

Or maybe the transition to an entirely new style of graphics means taking baby steps?

Their first fully 3D main game had 72 new pokemon and 48 forms of old ones. Their second one has 81 new pokemon and 18 forms of old ones. This shows progress, not regress. They are slowly gaining the confidence to focus more on new mons and becoming less dependent on the old mons. If this is truly accurate, by Gen 8 we could see 100+ new pokemon, and very few forms of old pokemon, if any.

Also the designs are really gorgeous and they seem way more thought out than most of the Kalos pokemon. Honestly looking back at X and Y only a dozen, maybe a little more of the new pokemon are actually usable and generally I used the same Pokemon over and over. With this gen the designs, typings and new abilities are really a lot better. I just was wishing for more than I should of. But I'm still excited, glad I know how many are in the game and wont be disappointed like X and Y

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I guess so. I don't see what's anymore "incomplete" about pyukumuku than, say, Farfetch'd or Stunfisk or Dunsparce or any number of other single stage pokemon. I just don't understand all the venom and bile just because some people's expectations weren't met.
ITT-Disappointment and criticism=venom and bile. I like how people aren't even allowed to say anything negative anymore without being bombarded with apologists.

Gohankuten

I see it more as an update to Pokemon that were on the verge of being forgotten or not as significant anymore. This is all very subjective, as well, as I always loved the original Ninetales, but to some Pokemon who suffer massively from their stats/weaknesses it is a welcome upgrade. Looking at Muk for example. Though yeah, the Normal/Dark ones will suffer even more from the Fighting type weakness.

But i always thought that Meowth line, Rattata line and the Muk line should have been part dark typed Pokemon. Dugtrio getting its Hawaii version, maybe becoming Ground/Water type will be interesting, too. I'm glad I can treat most of them as "new" Pokemon.

No the Alolan Dugtrio is obviously Ground/Hair typing.

Sulfurian

As a Pokémon community, I believe it's important for all of us to get off the hype train and set our expectations down a bit. The marketing team did a fantastic job hyping the game up. New pokemon are great regardless of how many, in my opinion.

My only complaints so far is that we have too few of Alolan forms, and no new Megas is just flat out ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.