• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Good, i hate dark void, it is an OP move. The nerfs arent so bad, what i find troubling is how bad new pokemon like Vikavolt, Wishiwashi, Crabrawler are. even wimpod2 isnt so good. the only new pokemon with good stats are fairy crap or poison crap like primarina and starfish2. even the bubble spider has bad stats. all the cool new pokemon have bad stats, and all the new pokemon with good stats are gay as hell. only the new abilities are good in this gen. but even with good abilities, it is not enough to compensate for the bad stats of the cool pokemon like Vikavolt and Crabrawler. and i dont like being forced to use psychic crap tactics like trick room. i hate being shoehorned into preset tactics that do no suite my style of play.

And the old pokemon available in Alola are not enough, they most included the popular OP pokemon like lucario, salamence etc.

What on earth were they doing the past two years? at this rate, i would have preferred a pokemon Z in 2015 before SuMo in 2016.

It seems to me gamefreak is forcing people to use pokebank if they want cool pokemon with good stats..
No offense, but... Lol wut?

First off, "gay as hell". ??? How does a Pokémon even look gay?

Second, Sun and Moon is better than a Z version ever would've been. In Z it would presumably just be standard third version stuff. Sun and Moon are entirely new games.

And finally, you say that if you want Pokémon with good stats you have to wait until Bank... Yet earlier you said they included in a lot of OP Pokémon?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Good, i hate dark void, it is an OP move. The nerfs arent so bad, what i find troubling is how bad new pokemon like Vikavolt, Wishiwashi, Crabrawler are. even wimpod2 isnt so good. the only new pokemon with good stats are fairy crap or poison crap like primarina and starfish2. even the bubble spider has bad stats. all the cool new pokemon have bad stats, and all the new pokemon with good stats are gay as hell. only the new abilities are good in this gen. but even with good abilities, it is not enough to compensate for the bad stats of the cool pokemon like Vikavolt and Crabrawler. and i dont like being forced to use psychic crap tactics like trick room. i hate being shoehorned into preset tactics that do no suite my style of play.
I think you may be counting some of these pokemon out too soon. Vikavolt gets Agility, has fairly good Defense and it hits like a truck. With Levitate and its various resistances it could do a lot with Choice Specs or even Life Orb.

And what's not good about Golisopod? It got moves tailor-made for its ability and stats, including the strongest priority ever outside of Gale Wings. I wouldn't be surprised if it is surprisingly successful in competitive.

Last edited:

Leviticus20:13

Talonflame Falconer
No offense, but... Lol wut?

First off, "gay as hell". ??? How does a Pokémon even look gay?

Second, Sun and Moon is better than a Z version ever would've been. In Z it would presumably just be standard third version stuff. Sun and Moon are entirely new games.

And finally, you say that if you want Pokémon with good stats you have to wait until Bank... Yet earlier you said they included in a lot of OP Pokémon?

I said cool pokemon with good stats, you need pokebank. lucario, kangastan, salamence are lame, lame and OP. one is a burglar dog, the other a kangaroo , and salamence is as lame and stupid looking as the latios/latias duo.

Yeah, SuMo should be better than a Z, but right now id rather have a Z in 2015 and SuMo in 2016 than just SuMo in 2016, cause all the new pokemon i've been looking forward too is just a big disapointment. I've been itching for a new pokemon game since 2015.

I think you may be counting some of these pokemon out too soon. Vikavolt gets Agility, has fairly good Defense and it hits like a truck. With Levitate and its various resistances it could do a lot with Choice Specs or even Life Orb.

And what's not good about Golisopod? It got moves tailor-made for its ability and stats, including the strongest priority ever outside of Gale Wings. I wouldn't be surprised if it is surprisingly successful in competitive.

Vikavolt is too slow, even with agility, it is still what? below 90 in speed. defense is not too good, especially with hard hitters like primarina or salamence or lycanroc around.

Golisopod requires switching way too much, cause his new move can only be used on the first turn and he is way too slow to use coverage moves. only sucker punch is good, but he got no stab and the damage has been nerfed. sucker punch also doesnt work when the other guy is using status moves. he is clearly designed to run in trick room teams, and i never run trick room. not my style.

Surge Surfer sounds like it should work on all terrains.

But here's hoping it doesn't.

I hope it doesnt too.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I said cool pokemon with good stats, you need pokebank. lucario, kangastan, salamence are lame, lame and OP. one is a burglar dog, the other a kangaroo , and salamence is as lame and stupid looking as the latios/latias duo.

You're aware everything you've just said is completely subjective and can be dismissed as such, yes?

Also throwing another set out there. This one's a little trickier because I'll need to see how Acrobatics interacts with Z-Crystals and Z-Moves before deciding on an item for it. A better EV spread is also probably possible in order to ensure that it survives certain attacks and gets into Shields Down range from certain attacks, but a simple max/max spread works for now cause I'm too lazy to run calcs for things that might not even be relevant in the Gen 7 Metagame.

Minior @ White Herb / Z-Crystal
Jolly - Shields Down
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Defence
-Shell Smash
-Acrobatics
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Minior is the only Pokemon to get the combo of Shell Smash and Acrobatics outside of Smeargle (and it gets STAB on Acrobatics to boot). Furthermore, its Shields Down ability seems perfectly suited for Shell Smash, giving it fantastic bulk while setting up and then good Speed and Attack after it falls below half HP. Acrobatics is obviously the Flying STAB of choice, and I'm sure it will hit like a truck after losing its item and with a Shell Smash boost. Stone Edge offers a secondary STAB, while Earthquake gets phenomenal coverage with both of his STABs. He gets a colorful movepool with plenty of other options but as of right now I see no reason to use any other moves than these three. On a side note, IT DOESN'T GET METEOR MASH. What the ****.

As I said, a Z-Crystal might be a viable option if using one counts as using up an item for Acrobatics, but otherwise a White Herb is preferable for its reliability.​

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Surge Surfer sounds like it should work on all terrains.

But here's hoping it doesn't.
I'm pretty sure the site says it only works on Electric Terrain.

Yeah, SuMo should be better than a Z, but right now id rather have a Z in 2015 and SuMo in 2016 than just SuMo in 2016, cause all the new pokemon i've been looking forward too is just a big disapointment. I've been itching for a new pokemon game since 2015.
I doubt they'd be able to work on both Sun and Moon and Z without one or the other being delayed.

Shadowclaw191

I'm pretty sure the site says it only works on Electric Terrain.

I doubt they'd be able to work on both Sun and Moon and Z without one or the other being delayed.

Oh thank god.
Can you imagine it working in Psychic Terrain?
The only fast thing in there.
Plus it's surge surfer, not electric terrain Surfer. Phew though.

Talonflame Falconer
You're aware everything you've just said is completely subjective and can be dismissed as such, yes?

You think an OP burglar dog, an OP kangaroo or OP dragon faced airplane is cool? i didnt even take the lucario that was offered to me in Pokemon Y by the gym leader cause it was so damn lame. The only reason people like these pokemon is cause they are so OP.

Also throwing another set out there. This one's a little trickier because I'll need to see how Acrobatics interacts with Z-Crystals and Z-Moves before deciding on an item for it. A better EV spread is also probably possible in order to ensure that it survives certain attacks and gets into Shields Down range from certain attacks, but a simple max/max spread works for now cause I'm too lazy to run calcs for things that might not even be relevant in the Gen 7 Metagame.

Minior @ White Herb / Z-Crystal
Jolly - Shields Down
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Defence
-Shell Smash
-Acrobatics
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Minior is the only Pokemon to get the combo of Shell Smash and Acrobatics outside of Smeargle (and it gets STAB on Acrobatics to boot). Furthermore, its Shields Down ability seems perfectly suited for Shell Smash, giving it fantastic bulk while setting up and then good Speed and Attack after it falls below half HP. Acrobatics is obviously the Flying STAB of choice, and I'm sure it will hit like a truck after losing its item and with a Shell Smash boost. Stone Edge offers a secondary STAB, while Earthquake gets phenomenal coverage with both of his STABs. He gets a colorful movepool with plenty of other options but as of right now I see no reason to use any other moves than these three. On a side note, IT DOESN'T GET METEOR MASH. What the ****.

As I said, a Z-Crystal might be a viable option if using one counts as using up an item for Acrobatics, but otherwise a White Herb is preferable for its reliability.​

Problem with minnior is you need one or two turns to get the power boost and speed boost, it may not last that long, especially in singles against fast heavy hitters like lycanroc midday. minnior also has lots of weakneses, electric, ice, water, steel.

i'll be using minnior for defense mostly, especially with its immunity to status ailments. but it may not even be good for that.

We've had a new pokemon game every year since 2009 or 2006, im sure they could if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
You think an OP burglar dog, an OP kangaroo or OP dragon faced airplane is cool? i didnt even take the lucario that was offered to me in Pokemon Y by the gym leader cause it was so damn lame. The only reason people like these pokemon is cause they are so OP.

He didn't say that, he said liking those is a subjective opinion. People like different things, and people will like different Pokemon.

Talonflame Falconer
I would rather have a glass cannon vikavolt, with good special attack and speed, special attack is good enough, but speed should have been at least 100, good enough to kill most of the pokemon with good speed nature and investment before it gets killed itself. as it is, it might not even get one kill before it gets taken out.

Same thing with wishi washi, speed at least 100, good enough to take one or two pokemon out before dying.

Last edited:

goodpeople25

I would rather have a glass cannon vikavolt, with good special attack and speed, special attack is good enough, but speed should have been at least 100, good enough to kill most of the pokemon with good speed nature and investment before it gets killed itself. as it is, it might not even get one kill before it gets taken out.

Same thing with wishi washi, speed at least 100, good enough to take one or two pokemon out before dying.
You do have a glass cannon vikavolt though, just not a fast one. (Yeah there's often overlap but still a bit baffled at seeing speed tied in as an essential part of the term a few times on here)

Talonflame Falconer
I was looking forward to the alolan Victrebell rumors, too bad we dont even get the original Victreebell. I need a good grass type on my team badly.

A glass cannon has to be fast, cause it needs to take out one pokemon at least before it gets killed itself. Otherwise its not a glass cannon but a punching bag.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Again, Vikavolt gets Agility, has fairly good Defense and it hits like a truck. With Levitate and its various resistances it could do a lot with Choice Specs or Life Orb.

This gen seems to be trying to take the focus off speed. Let's see how that attempt goes before we jump to conclusions, especially since even now a number of slow pokemon do well.

pOlarizer

Again, Vikavolt gets Agility, has fairly good Defense and it hits like a truck. With Levitate and its various resistances it could do a lot with Choice Specs or Life Orb.

This gen seems to be trying to take the focus off speed. Let's see how that attempt goes before we jump to conclusions, especially since even now a number of slow pokemon do well.

Alolan Raichu might actually have a good run with Electro Ball. It's movepool is too shallow though. How about:

-Electro Ball
-Psychic or Psyhock
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt (for Z move)

Edit: On hindsight, Electro Ball may not be that great without paralysis. Also, paralysis has been nerfed

Last edited:
Aside from being a Kahuna, Nanu(then known as 000) was on a three man team with Looker(Looker was at the time known as 100kr) and another girl to track down and eradicate an early UB. Due to Looker being too kind he messed up and the girl died. The girl was shown to be a Faller though(a person emerging from a wormhole or otherwise has been in contact with one, and someone UBs are attracted to so they can possibly find a way home) and was actually put on the team as bait. Now Looker is on a three man team again, with two Fallers(you and Anabel) and Anabel is starting to take a toll and is at risk, but all seems to have gone well after you have dealt with the "final" "UB" Guzzlord, and Nanu and Anabel are going to have a chat.

Not sure what will happen afterwards when Necrozma appears though. Also not really sure about his role in the main story before the post-game.

As we've learned from some of the story text, Necrozma isn't actually a UB. It's simply implied to be a Pokémon that was buried underground since ancient times (I'd imagine it'd be the same deal as Kyurem if in fact it's SM entry gets retconned in the same way Kyurem coming from space did). It seems to be the Zygarde of this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.