• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
You think an OP burglar dog, an OP kangaroo or OP dragon faced airplane is cool? i didnt even take the lucario that was offered to me in Pokemon Y by the gym leader cause it was so damn lame. The only reason people like these pokemon is cause they are so OP.

... What? Do you not understand subjectivity? It doesn't matter what I think is cool, or you think is cool, or anyone else really. It's just opinion.

Problem with minnior is you need one or two turns to get the power boost and speed boost, it may not last that long, especially in singles against fast heavy hitters like lycanroc midday. minnior also has lots of weakneses, electric, ice, water, steel.

i'll be using minnior for defense mostly, especially with its immunity to status ailments. but it may not even be good for that.

Lolwut.

It takes a turn or two to set up? You mean like literally every other set-up sweeper ever? How the hell is that even an argument against a Pokemon's viability? Minior's shielded form is actually decently bulky. Not fantastically so, but it's also not so frail that it's going to have trouble surviving a hit to use Shell Smash on. In fact, its relatively mediocre bulk might work in its favor, as most hits won't quite KO him but will leave him in Shield's Down range.

Furthermore, while he's not exactly frail, 50/100/100 isn't exactly super bulky either. Certainly not bulky enough for a defensive Pokemon that lacks reliable recovery, or a vast array of support moves (he gets Stealth Rock and... that's about it...). Plus while Shields Down works perfectly in tandem with a Shell Smash set, it would actually cripple defensive sets by severely cutting your defense when you fall below half HP. It would be like a defensive Defeatist in that case.

No, Minior's biggest issue is going to be priority. It has none of its own, and it's weak to many common forms of it such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Ice Shard. Plus even a neutral priority hit will likely KO it once its been put in its unshielded form. That being said, you have 5 more team slots for a reason, and if you can support it with Pokemon who can remove priority users then you've got a very potent late-game cleaner on your hands.

Last edited:

Leviticus20:13

Talonflame Falconer
Wow, so we get to eradicate the UBs? that sounds fun! Looks like post game will be pretty good.

Minnior does get reflect or light screen.

Last edited:

goodpeople25

I was looking forward to the alolan Victrebell rumors, too bad we dont even get the original Victreebell. I need a good grass type on my team badly.

A glass cannon has to be fast, cause it needs to take out one pokemon at least before it gets killed itself. Otherwise its not a glass cannon but a punching bag.
Never said it was a good glass cannon but it still is a glass cannon. (Well relatively since it's defenses can still work in some cases) maybe one that gets used as a punching bag and dosen't get to fire alot of the time but one nonetheless. (It's glass cannon, strong hitting but fragile it's a cannon made of glass. Yes speed or an equivalent can and often helps make one a better one but still a bit baffled how it got to be seen as part of the term)

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
What change has been made to Paralysis?

Apparently the Speed reduction has been changed from x0.25 to x0.5. In other words, paralysis now cuts Speed down to 50% instead of 25%. Not exactly a game changer (it's still crippling for fast, offensive Pokemon) but at least now paralysis isn't a complete death sentence for Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance users. They might still be able to get a last KO before going down now.

Creyk

As we've learned from some of the story text, Necrozma isn't actually a UB. It's simply implied to be a Pokémon that was buried underground since ancient times (I'd imagine it'd be the same deal as Kyurem if in fact it's SM entry gets retconned in the same way Kyurem coming from space did). It seems to be the Zygarde of this generation.

Is this really true?
So is it the third part to Lunala and Solagelo's trio?

lopunnie

This might be a silly or obvious question, but do we know if Z-Moves only change their power depending on the base move used, or will they also change if they use the physical or special attack stat? It would be a fun callback to Gen I (through III) if they were locked into physical or special, especially if they shared which attack stat they use with the one their type used to be locked into. :p

R_N

Is this really true?
So is it the third part to Lunala and Solagelo's trio?

sort of, though it weirdly doesn't really share many design elements with the 2 like rayquaza, giratina, kyurem & zygarde do with their trios. Zygarde was pretty different but you could still tell it was importantly similar enough.

And it's pretty adamant about not being an ultra beast while the other 2 are. I'm guessing that will be important if they actually bother giving it a game and plotline unlike Zygarde who just got shoved into a cave in its own game and then split into 100 unimportant plotless pieces in the next.

pOlarizer

sort of, though it weirdly doesn't really share many design elements with the 2 like rayquaza, giratina, kyurem & zygarde do with their trios. Zygarde was pretty different but you could still tell it was importantly similar enough.

And it's pretty adamant about not being an ultra beast while the other 2 are. I'm guessing that will be important if they actually bother giving it a game and plotline unlike Zygarde who just got shoved into a cave in its own game and then split into 100 unimportant plotless pieces in the next.

I have a feeling it's more standalone like Darkrai or Volcanion. Possibly an event Pokémon

Last edited:

pOlarizer

This might be a silly or obvious question, but do we know if Z-Moves only change their power depending on the base move used, or will they also change if they use the physical or special attack stat? It would be a fun callback to Gen I (through III) if they were locked into physical or special, especially if they shared which attack stat they use with the one their type used to be locked into. :p

The base move used will determine the Z move's BP and being physical/special.

By the way, how did you make that picture in your sig? I want one!

lopunnie

The base move used will determine the Z move's BP and being physical/special.

By the way, how did you make that picture in your sig? I want one!

I see, thank you! That certainly makes them more versatile than I thought they might be! In-game they could be used to give some poor thing like Wimpod a decent attack before it evolves... and I can't wait to use Primarina's against some poor, unsuspecting wild 'mons!

(Haha, my sig only took a couple minutes of fiddling with the transparency and size of Sugimori art in Photoshop -- you, too, can make one, friend!)

Legendary Dreams

I can tell that they are consciously putting low speed on the new Pokemon by distributing them to bulk instead (at least it looks like it for a lot of them), although I'm not sure how well that bulk will hold in the same generation Z-Moves are introduced in. Then again, most people find the status Z-Moves to be more interesting/viable in the competitive side of things, so perhaps that bulk will still hold its own.

That being said, some Pokemon being given low speed don't make sense, especially Vikavolt, which we all had descriptions of it being a fast Pokemon is not even half-as-fast as Galvantula. Well I suppose that does make each of them different (Tula was mostly sash-ed to survive a hit along with a Sticky Web setup and the benefit of a 91% Accuracy Thunder if it has a speed advantage), but I was still expecting something even more Glass Cannon (with speed) out of Vikavolt when it was announced as our second Electric-Bug Line.

Since Solgaleo and Lunala were mentioned to be UBs, then does it mean either Marshadow is also a UB, or one of the existing UBs inside is the actual trio Master? It doesn't make sense that a trio Master of an Ultra Beast trio is not one itself. The evolutionary patterns of UBs are also weird, even if they were all like Manaphy, is there a "younger" form of the UB-02s and UB-04s that works the same way like Sol/Luna?

Janovy

Banned
Since Solgaleo and Lunala were mentioned to be UBs, then does it mean either Marshadow is also a UB, or one of the existing UBs inside is the actual trio Master? It doesn't make sense that a trio Master of an Ultra Beast trio is not one itself. The evolutionary patterns of UBs are also weird, even if they were all like Manaphy, is there a "younger" form of the UB-02s and UB-04s that works the same way like Sol/Luna?

Marshadow doesn't strike me as a trio master, not only due to its appearance but also because it is a mythical Pokemon whereas all other third Pokemon that complete the legendary set of Pokemon were readily available in the game. IMO, Necrozma is the most likely candidate for being the third legendary to Solgaleo and Lunala.

Legendary Dreams

Marshadow doesn't strike me as a trio master, not only due to its appearance but also because it is a mythical Pokemon whereas all other third Pokemon that complete the legendary set of Pokemon were readily available in the game. IMO, Necrozma is the most likely candidate for being the third legendary to Solgaleo and Lunala.

The problem with that is that Necrozma is mentioned NOT to be an Ultra Beast, so it's extremely awkward for a regular Pokemon to be a Trio Master of 2 Ultra Beasts, so if we take away the Version-Exclusives, we'll left with pretty much either the Xurictree or Guzzlord as the possible masters, assuming Marshadow isn't one.

Janovy

Banned
The problem with that is that Necrozma is mentioned NOT to be an Ultra Beast, so it's extremely awkward for a regular Pokemon to be a Trio Master of 2 Ultra Beasts, so if we take away the Version-Exclusives, we'll left with pretty much either the Xurictree or Guzzlord as the possible masters, assuming Marshadow isn't one.
Necrozma is the only one that makes sense to me. Also if you think about it, even though they are Ultra Beasts, Solgaleo and Lunala have different abilities from the regular UBs (which is Beast Boost) and Necrozma also happens to have a different ability. Furthermore, Necrozma is definitely paired together with UBs and probably has as much connection to them as Solgaleo and Lunala.

Here's something else: it says that "light is apparently the source of its energy," which makes me inclined to think that Necrozma is part of a trio with Solgaleo and Lunala (as sun/moon light is the source of their energy as well). Additionally, it shares the Psychic type with them.

And something else: Necrozma gets BOTH Morning Sun and Moonlight at level 1. Oddly fitting, isn't it? :p

Legendary Dreams

Necrozma is the only one that makes sense to me. Also if you think about it, even though they are Ultra Beasts, Solgaleo and Lunala have different abilities from the regular UBs (which is Beast Boost) and Necrozma also happens to have a different ability. Furthermore, Necrozma is definitely paired together with UBs and probably has as much connection to them as Solgaleo and Lunala.

Here's something else: it says that "light is apparently the source of its energy," which makes me inclined to think that Necrozma is part of a trio with Solgaleo and Lunala (as sun/moon light is the source of their energy as well). Additionally, it shares the Psychic type with them.

And something else: Necrozma gets BOTH Morning Sun and Moonlight at level 1. Oddly fitting, isn't it? :p

I guess that does make sense, although considering they went out of their way to classify Solgaleo/Lunala as Ultra Beasts (as opposed to "Special Pokemon") and then went to say Necrozma isn't one despite all the other similarities just bugs me to some degree.

But knowing them, they might be just opting for a "Surprise, Necozma is also an Ultra Beast" later down the road. Pokemon tend to be very obvious with all these things (seriously from the way almost everyone was jumping that Lusamine was the antagonist from the moment she was revealed, I don't think they will ever go for further mind-games, even if the Aether Foundation being one is technically a fresh twist for the main games, we're just too genre-savvy to impress by now).

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Someone has found/caught Necrozma. It can be found at Ten Carat Hill, Melemele Island, after you complete the Ultra Beast quest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.