• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I don't remember the datamined spoilers saying they were catchable. Besides, aren't there just 8 ultra beasts?
It still mainly is non chibi characters and different camera angles. The graphics do look bigger on the cutscenes and the moments when the camera angle shifts, which is why the trailers mainly focused on them, but when you're playing it, it goes back to the old view from the top and things do not look that different from before. Regarding the scenario looking far more natural and scenic than XY, i would say that's quite subjective. Personally, i loved Kalos' scenario.

I am playing it and it is very different imo. The camera angle doesn't just do the old view from the top but constantly shifts, being able to see the end of the route from the beginning, everything is organicly shaped instead of square-ish and grid-based like in Kalos... The whole thing makes the Gen 6 graphics feel like just a slightly updated version of the gen 4 and 5 graphics.

Leosnake

I have a copy of all the sprites for the regional dex which was ripped from the demo, there are indeed some gaps, blanks in between some of the sprites. This could be just a mistake or there could be some pokeball that were completely left out of the demo.
So are these gaps in multiple areas of the dex or all near where Type Null is?

REMARCABLE

I love the idea of Alolans, it comes closer to real life biology than megas tbh...

And no way they'll cut them, just like they didn't cut megas. There are just no new ones atm cause they're focussing on alolans, but maybe there are in the next games?

I don't mind them giving forms to Pokemon, but they are forcing them.

It's like looking at already-made Pokemon and thinking "hmmm, how can we twist it and make it look really stupid but at the same time familar?"

I should've clarified, not cut completely, cut support.

No new Megas and Megas not even allowed in VGC 2017?
Yeah, that is a feature we grew to love shot to hell, at least it had a good run on you know, one generation

LoveMcQueen5683

Well I'm just going to say after all the new pokemon reveals, I don't know who to pick as my 6th party member. And it's not because I'm in love with their designs...

Tropios

I don't mind them giving forms to Pokemon, but they are forcing them.

It's like looking at already-made Pokemon and thinking "hmmm, how can we twist it and make it look really stupid but at the same time familar?"

I should've clarified, not cut completely, cut support.

No new Megas and Megas not even allowed in VGC 2017?
Yeah, that is a feature we grew to love shot to hell, at least it had a good run on you know, one generation

I really like most of the alolans actually.

They are almost garantueed to be back in the VGC after that, when a new game comes out, the first VGC after that usually only focusses on the new stuff. And again, there might be new megas in upcoming games.

But I feel like megas are a feature you apparently grew to love a lot more than I did. :p

Anthea

Omg my dream of legendary pre evos came true, lol at the guys who hated that idea

I love morelull evo, fairy Pokemon delivered this gen

And tf at those diglett forms. Marshadoe is too cute!

edu1987

All this gen 1 nostalgia thing makes me mad... i've been playing pokemon since red/blue and we have access to all our mons through the bank... 70ish new mons is such a disapointment to me but the worst is to have just 300 pokemon is the regional dex. I love XY due to the 450 regional pokemon! But... oh well... lets hope the plot and side quests still save this gen.

Xuxuba

I am playing it and it is very different imo. The camera angle doesn't just do the old view from the top but constantly shifts, being able to see the end of the route from the beginning, everything is organicly shaped instead of square-ish and grid-based like in Kalos... The whole thing makes the Gen 6 graphics feel like just a slightly updated version of the gen 4 and 5 graphics.

Since the demo had lots of cutscenes and places where the camera angle shifts (they were obviously trying to show this a lot in the demo), you don't notice all that much how the old view from the top still is quite present. But there are still several moments when the camera goes back to the old view from the top on the demo and you can still see it on several screenshots and gameplays that are not from the demo, such as these ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKE0M6CXLyA
http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/megaevo1.jpg

Even XY and ORAS had this moments when the camera angle shifts and things look bigger, like when you enter the Glittering cave. The only difference is that they made it more present. Also, i don't know how you can say XY and ORAS was just a slightly updated version of Gen 4 and 5 and then act like Gen 7's graphics is 1000 times better than Gen 6 but whatever.

Putting this whole discussion aside, i still don't think that would justify not improving what gen 6 lacked which was more new pokemon, a good story and a better postgame. Let's just hope they will do better with the latters.

Last edited:

TheKnightsFury

TheKnightsFury
Alright here is where the gaps are
Room for 1 pokemon in where are the Kanto mons are, after raticate and before spearow, so I think that might just be an error
None anywhere else until we get to Alola mons
Room for 1 between Youngoose evo and Grubbin
Room for 1 between Vikavolt and Crabrawler
Room for 1 between Lunatris and Morelull
Room for 1 between Salandit evo and Stufful
Room for 2 between Mimikyu and Bruxish
Room for 1 Between Jangmo and Tapa Koko

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
All this gen 1 nostalgia thing makes me mad... i've been playing pokemon since red/blue and we have access to all our mons through the bank... 70ish new mons is such a disapointment to me but the worst is to have just 300 pokemon is the regional dex. I love XY due to the 450 regional pokemon! But... oh well... lets hope the plot and side quests still save this gen.

I thought that Gen VI, being such a short game had way too much Pokemon and it sometimes felt as if on each route you had one new Pokemon and 5 or 6 older ones (didn't calculate). The balancing was poor, but it also irks me that once again there is such a big focus on Gen I and Gen 5 gets so massively neglected.

I think the gaps are just for totem Pokemon, the one near Zygarde could be its cells and cores

Btw does anyone notice that there is no Ash-Greninja's sprite in the folder?

noakai

Alright here is where the gaps are
Room for 1 pokemon in where are the Kanto mons are, after raticate and before spearow, so I think that might just be an error
None anywhere else until we get to Alola mons
Room for 1 between Youngoose evo and Grubbin
Room for 1 between Vikavolt and Crabrawler
Room for 1 between Lunatris and Morelull
Room for 1 between Salandit evo and Stufful
Room for 2 between Mimikyu and Bruxish
Room for 1 Between Jangmo and Tapa Koko

I believe Serebii replied to someone that the spaces were for Totem Pokemon: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/788291763471577088

I think the gaps are just for totem Pokemon, the one near Zygarde could be its cells and cores

Btw does anyone notice that there is no Ash-Greninja's sprite in the folder?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Oni Dekopin

So, only two new alola forms, only 80 new pokemon... pyukumuku seems like a standalone... man, what a rude awakening I had.

Atleast the guardians and the ultra beasts are cool, hope they are catchable. Any confirmation on this matter yet ?

REMARCABLE

They are almost garantueed to be back in the VGC after that, when a new game comes out, the first VGC after that usually only focusses on the new stuff. And again, there might be new megas in upcoming games.

But I feel like megas are a feature you apparently grew to love a lot more than I did. :p

I was pretty skeptical about Megas at first, felt it bordered on Digimon territory.

But I soon came to love them, everytime a new Mega was revealed i'd get hype as fu--

These Alola forms from the start were really stupid, they just seem to pander to gen 1 Pokemon and they feel so forced.

It's like they took a Pokemon, and a random type and tried to make it work but most of them don't or it's just so lazy.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I don't think either of those things are preevolutions for Solgaleo and Lunala - they feel more like dormant forms like some people have speculated imo. It seems to me that we'll encounter their dormant forms at some point, and the climax will involve their "awakening" into their full forms for one reason or another.

Also, Beltigre/Panthster/Luchalitten's definitely one of those Pokemon that look much better ingame. Really tempted to pick Litten now lmao. That anchor's design is kinda interesting too, it's more like an anchor fused with a ship's wheel - perhaps it's based more on a shipwreck than an actual anchor.

WyvernTamer

I feel just like all things that are first introduced Aloan forms/ alt species of Pokemon will get better through time.
When Mega's were first introduced you couldn't go to a forum without reading "This is Pokemon not Digimon mega's are silly! Or It's just old Pokemon that slightly changed !" Etc...
Now a lot of people love Mega evolution and I feel the same will happen with Aloan forms. It also opens up a path for new variations of Pokemon to come in future games

Tropios

Since the demo had lots of cutscenes and places where the camera angle shifts (they were obviously trying to show this a lot in the demo), you don't notice all that much how the old view from the top still is quite present. But there are still several moments when the camera goes back to the old view from the top on the demo and you can still see it on several screenshots and gameplays that are not from the demo, such as these ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKE0M6CXLyA
http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/megaevo1.jpg

Even XY and ORAS had this moments when the camera angle shifts and things look bigger, like when you enter in the Glittering cave. The only difference is that they made it more present.

Putting this whole discussion aside, i still don't think that would justify not improving what gen 6 lacked which was more new pokemon, a good story and a better postgame. Let's just hope they will do better with the latters.

But in XY and ORAS everything was grid based, whereas in Alola it's not just the camera that shifts angles, but the whole area itself is full of shifting angles.

I'm not complaining about the desicion to slow it down with the new pokemon, but okay, I agree though, storyline and postgame should be good too. For me the visuals are just so impressive compared to previous gens that they do kind of justify it.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So, only two new alola forms, only 80 new pokemon... pyukumuku seems like a standalone... man, what a rude awakening I had.

Atleast the guardians and the ultra beasts are cool, hope they are catchable. Any confirmation on this matter yet ?

No, and a lot of information has been dummied out, so likely won't get an answer for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.