• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajduk

The anchor pokemon is definitely ghost pokemon. Probably ghost/steel but ghost/water will do nicely as well :)

Lizzard

Master Wannabe

future.newyorker

And Manaphy de-established it in gen 4

Technically, Phione is not a pre-evolution of Manaphy, since it cannot evolve into Manaphy. However; the only way to get Phione is to breed Manaphy. So Phione/Manaphy are a special case, I wouldn't consider it a pre-evolution.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
My boy Wimpod got what he deserved in the end.

Komala didn't an evo, that is major shocker!

GDK

That explains that, but still it doesn't explain where everyone is getting the 90 kanto pokemon thing and stuff.

Also is mardshadow listed after of before magearna in the sprite list ?
Because if he's placed after, that would mean he is not the third legendary, but a mythical and that would be weird.

Also the lack of mythical (beside magearna and maybe marshadow) makes me thinks they'll come later with an update.

Last edited:

UmbreonRanger

Pokemon Theorist
The guy who made the datamine videos also said the Kalos region is in Sun and Moon! How are we not talking about that?!

Orphalesion

Mimikyu,Morelull and the anchor don't have a face

Mimikyu and Morelull do have a face, and the Anchor still has an eye. Really I'm not getting were people get all those "faceless pokemon" from. The only faceless pokemon I can recall right now are Staryu and Starmie.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
[spoil]
789 Minigalaxy
790 ^ Evo2?
791 Solgaleo
792 Lunaala[/spoil]

Are we sure of this order? If that is the case, we might have a split evolution case.

shadowF

anything else yet to be revealed in the datamine?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
That explains that, but still it doesn't explain where everyone is getting the 90 kanto pokemon thing and stuff.

Earlier, one of the dataminers released a file that contained all the Dex sprites from the demo.
Not all Pokemon are present though, which led us to believe that the demo only contained the Alola Dex Pokemon.

Gen 1 - 87 (including Alolan Forms)
Gen 2 - 30
Gen 3 - 33
Gen 4 - 29
Gen 5 - 28
Gen 6 - 14

If you want the full list, it's here: http://i.imgur.com/0g4drUf.jpg

The guy who made the datamine videos also said the Kalos region is in Sun and Moon! How are we not talking about that?!

I believe this is a misunderstanding.
The "Kalos Region" refers to the "Location Met" data for Ash-Greninja.

GDK

Earlier, one of the dataminers released a file that contained all the Dex sprites from the demo.
Not all Pokemon are present though, which led us to believe that the demo only contained the Alola Dex Pokemon.

Gen 2 - 30
Gen 3 - 33
Gen 4 - 29
Gen 5 - 28
Gen 6 - 14

Oh thanks and that also answer my question about marshadow being listed after magearna making him most likely a mythical.

Orphalesion

How are Bellossom and Tropius not in alola? The former is pretty much THE Hawaiian Pokemon and the later has the tropics in its very name.

..oh yeah they aren't part of the genwunn Master Race...sorry forgot about that.

Salamandit

Why would you leave out Grumpig and Zebstrika? And put in liligant which is just like Tsareena? Why would you put in Fearow over Zebstrika?

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I really like this summary, so lemme add my comments to each part (in bold).

Starter evos
This barely counts as "new Pokémon", since the leaks were as good as confirmed. Still, the models offer a new look and I have to say, they make Robin Hoot look even better. Litten's final evo is still the best and Popplio's doesn't suffer at all. Overall, these are great starters, all of them.
Agreed. I was worried about how their sprites would work, but GF really outdid themselves with these.

Pikipek evos
Not the Steel/Flying I was expecting, that's for sure. I still hope for a different typing than just Normal/Flying, but not seeing that many possibilities here. Psychic, maybe? That's a stretch. Dark? We could use a new Dark-type that isn't an Alolan form. But of course one look at those cheeks reveals another Pikaclone ¬‿¬ Type aside, I like the final design (have been awaiting a toucan pretty much since Gen II) and the middle form transitions fairly well between a woodpecker and a toucan.
Sadly, I think you're right. I really wanted Steel/Flying too, but no such luck. The cheeks are an interesting point, and I think Electric/Flying could work, but as it stand Normal/Flying seems most likely.

Crawbrawler's evo
The more I look at it, the less convinced I am that it's not a Fighting/Ice mon. Crawbrawler is said to like high places, so why not just climb those icy mountains? Besides, this face is a yeti, no question, and fusing yeti with a crab would be exactly the kind of weird that Pokémon often does. Either way I definitely like it better than Crawbrawler itself.
It's not just a random throwing together of two random concepts. The yeti crab is a real thing, they just made it more literal. Like how the scorpion fly is real, but looks nothing like Gligar. I had forgotten about the high places thing though. It makes even more sense now.

Wimpod's evo
I knew Wimpod would get a Magikarp-reversal evolution, but this goes beyond what I hoped for. So badass! Thus far I wanted Wimpod to keep its unique Water/Bug typing (unlike Surskit who betrayed us all), but while this would still be cool, this here looks very Steel-like to me. Bug/Steel has been done (done well, but done), but Water/Steel would be a great option, since access to Empoleon is definitely very limited. Besides, we just might get an alternate Bug/Water mon below.
I don't see Bug/Steel tbh, as the white colour is just what giant isopods' carapaces look like. I may be biased because I really want it to stay Bug/Water though.

Alolan Diglett and Dugtrio
This is... interesting. I love these guys, I sure do, and I'd love to find out what they were based on, because there must be some reason for the hair. Original Diglett and Dugtrio were whack-a-moles made into actual moles. Are there moles with such bushy and blond fur in Hawaii? Are whack-a-moles the favorite activity of Hawaiian barbers? What's the reason??
I also have no idea what type change we might be looking at. All Alolan forms change typing, but his here I'm definitely blanking on. I doubt Ground is gone (they're still coming out of the ground, clearly), but... Fairy, maybe? I have no earthly idea (see what I did there?).
I am pretty sure they are based on stereotypical surfer dudes with tanned skin and sun-bleached hair. Why they applied this to moles, I don't know, but I love it. :D I am thinking Ground/Grass, and we'll be told the "hair" is actually dry grass or something.

Alolan Persian
Okay, I hate to say this about any Pokémon ever, but... I'm a bit disappointed. This will not last long, I'll definitely warm up to this hilarious big head, but I really hoped for something more... impressive. Alolan Meowth seemed so high-class, I really expected some majesty after it evolves. This is a pampered, spoiled cat yes, but not a majestic one. It also doesn't seem to gain any particular type, which is definitely disappointing. Though I'm not losing hope, it might still surprise us. Perhaps with Dark/Ice, considering its two colors are white (fine, light grey) and blue (the gem, which is red on regular Persian), both of which fit Ice. But we'll see.
I'm with you here. A cool secondary type is probably the only thing that can save it in my eyes. Dark/Ice could work, but I don't hold out much hope.

Alolan Geodude, Graveler and Golem
Oh dear, what's happening here? No, seriously, what's going on? Coal and gold, is that what I'm looking at? Whatever, the good old Geodes were long overdue for something new, since they've been common wilds in almost every generation. Golem here looks like it has a canon on its back. Rock Wrecker, maybe? Either way, these guys will probably keep their Rock typing, but might drop Ground. I don't see any other type in here, but who knows.
I'm pretty sure they are going to be Rock/Electric and the beards are magnetic material stuck to them, a la Probopass. That said, Probopass did not become Electric. But then it did not have electric-yellow spots. I think the thing on Golem's back is an electromagnetic canon. Seems like it would induce an electric current in the pylons to magnetically propel that black rock sat between them. It could well learn Rock Wrecker if this is true.

Poison Hair Fortress
Ooh, some of my new faves. These look like Water (blue, seen underwater in the TCG artwork) and Poison (purple, spikey, kinda "sickly" in the first form perhaps, not unlike Skrelp) Pokémon, which is a typing with not a lot of viable users. Tentacruel is awesome and Qwilfish has a niche, but nothing really fantastic. These two? Clearly going for defensive approach, considering the evolved form is a freakin' impenetrable fortress of spiky hair-arms. I'm looking forward to using these for sure.
Not sure if you don't know what these are based on or not, but they are sea urchins. The "hair" is actually the individual ambulacra of their skeleton. Although in real life they aren't flexible like that of course. I do agree Water/Poison seems likely. Almost all sea urchins are venomous.

New Spiders
Bug/Water or Bug/Ghost would be my guesses and either one would be great. Not much to say here, but I expect them to be fairly fragile but wicked fast.
These do seem to be based on diving bell spiders, but I am reluctant to call Bug type simply because we have so many already (compared to to other types). Water sounds likely, as this is where diving bell spiders live, but not sure what else. Dark would make sense if there are going to be any non-Alola form Dark types.

Moremorelull
Morelull being the first of two was to be expected considering Paras, Shroomish and Fonguss prepared us for it, but this here Grass/Fairy (I assume it doesn't change its typing), might be the creepiest of them all... Okay, not as creepy as Parasect, but it comes close with just its ghastly stare and empty smile. The long fingers are also a nice touch, if you excuse the pun. Overall, a solid Pokémon and I'm curious to see it in action. Spore by itself should make it at least usable - and if it turns out to be a big threat, my second-favorite type of Poison might see some new competitive light.
Definitely agree on the creepy front. Its face and hands remind me of Salad Fingers *shudder* I wasn't really expecting much out of Morelull, so I'm kinda meh on this one tbh.

Salandita
I swear, Salandit is not a female-only species, but this one probably is and if there is no male alternate evo, we have ourselves a Combee. A better Combee, sure, but a Combee nonetheless. I'll keep hoping for a split evolution, but in the meantime... It's okay. Not much detail (which, and I hate saying it, brings the word "naked" to mind on such a feminine mon), but at least nobody will complain at it being "overdesigned".
Stereotypically feminine designs don't necessarily make a Pokemon female-only, however what the Riddler was implying about Salandit's evo makes me think you might be right. I guess I'll just wait for the main game and see if any of this blank spaces in the dex stuff yields another evo, otherwise not too bothered if this is the only one. It's pretty cool.

Anchor
It's an anchor covered in seaweed and a steering wheel with a compass for an eye. Sunken ship vibes are obvious. I'm thinking Ghost-type, perhaps Ghost/Water or Ghost/Psychic. Overall a well-realized cool idea for another "haunted something" Pokémon, but if it's indeed a one-off, the stats might require some help from the movepool and the Abilities to see usage outside of the in-game realm.
Definitely agree on the Ghost front. Steel isn't a given because it seems to be made from both an anchor (typically metal) and a wheel (typically wooden), so not sure on the second typing. Water would make most sense, but if all the others predicted to be Water are too, that is a lot of Water types compared to others (probably no more than the overall average of Water to everything else though tbh).

Tapus
Let's see... So aside from the yellow one, we have red, pink and purple. Oricorio theory confirmed, making these Fire/Fairy, Psychic/Fairy and Ghost/Fairy. And since we have the Psychic Terrain confirmed, there's no worrying about Tapu Koko being an odd one out in terms of Abilities. I certainly do wonder what the effects of the Fire Terrain and Ghost Terrain will be. Design-wise, I'm fine with the Pink and Purple one, but I can't quite see how the Red one is supposed to "hide" or "diguise" itself as anything. This seems to be the theme for the Tapus and yet this one I don't see.
Also can't see the expected connection to the Strange Souvenir in any of them.
Yep, pretty sure the pink one is Psychic/Fairy, red bull one is Fire/Fairy and purple swordfish is Ghost/Fairy. As for how the red one disguises himself, I thought it was pretty obvious the parts sticking out above his head collapse down on either side of him. And yeah, looks like the strange souvenir isn't getting resolved any time soon after all.

Minilegends
Phione? Phione are you setting a precedence? Stop it right now, Phione!
Zygarde? Zygarde, don't you start anything!
I have no idea what to think of these. I mean, Baby Lunala is nothing short of adorable, but Baby Solgaleo could use a... I dunno, a face? It's a gosh-darn item, like Zekrom and Reshiram as Dark/White Stones. Yes, the orb inside probably has an actual face, but I can't see it right now. I'll have to see more of those - and of course learn about how they function game-wise and story-wise - to come up with an opinion.
Yeah, these seem very comparable to the item-form of past legends, or perhaps Zygarde core. Whether they are forms like they are, or strange prevos like Phione (and whether they can even evolve if that is the case), will need to be discovered at a later date.

UBs
Normally I'd hate to be the one to say "I told you so", but I did tell you so, so... I told you so! Pokémon is doing Persona. All of these look like bosses straight out of the Persona series, no exception. I expect some of them will be version-exclusive like UB02, because having seven Ultra Beasts would kinda make them too common for the ultimate threat.
Also, their temporary names are ElectricWires, MissileHands, OrigamiBlades, CrabBelly and HadesArmor.
Yeah, I am pretty sure some of the other numbers will have version exclusive variants, as this is way more of them than I expected. if they do end up being linked to certain NPCs, as has been predicted, then I guess we will see all of them at some point in each game though.

Marshadow
Looks like it's made of smoke, but I'm not really seeing the long-awaited Poison-type legend here. Our Chinese leaker friend claims Marshadow has a very unique typing, so who knows... Ghost/Fairy? We already have that on one of the Tapus. Maybe it's Poison/Fairy after all? Either way, it has this kinda creepy blank stare that's almost adorable on something this cute, yet still unnatural.
Yeah, not sure about the typing here. It may be that in this form it is difficult to tell, but he has a full form akin to the box legends that we won't see until later, like Hoopa.

GDK

How are Bellossom and Tropius not in alola? The former is pretty much THE Hawaiian Pokemon and the later has the tropics in its very name.

..oh yeah they aren't part of the genwunn Master Race...sorry forgot about that.

Well oddish and co are part of genwunn master race but they aren't there either.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's a yeti crab. I think it's a perfectly acceptable yeti crab.

Why is everyone so salty? I'm a bit disappointed that there weren't more, but all of the designs have been pretty great. My excitement for Sun and Moon hasn't been diminished in the slightest.

If it's not an Ice-type, I will be sorely pissed.

Supersonicbro

Gen 2 - 30
Gen 3 - 33
Gen 4 - 29
Gen 5 - 28
Gen 6 - 14

That moment when there are more kanto Pokémon in the game than alolan ones.

And the fact that there's no komala evolution has me a bit salty. Plus like i said before, i wish they stopped showing 80-90% of the dex in trailers. I feel like I'd be a bit more fine with the selection if they didn't show it all.

Rowlet

I've seen the entire dex but has any new moves/abilities been revealed yet? Or were they scrubbed out of the demo

Status
Not open for further replies.