• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoMe00150

Most of these seem to be good. A shame what happened to litter. Alolan persian isn't too bad. Better than dugtrio.

R_N

Which is currently one of the most popular Alolan Forme, so, the simplicity thesis seems to have been confirmed.

Screw Darwin.

My point was that the low number of pokemon doesn't really correlate with complex designs, not that simple designs are worse. Dugtrio with a wig is an amusing, but very simple & inexplicable design. Gumshoos, Komala, and so on are all relatively simple, too. not everything is crazy virus or yeti crab.
Gen 5 had a crazy number of intricate designs and that's the biggest generation.

They'll probably never give an actual reason for the lower number of pokemon. Maybe it's not even "we don't want to add too many" and its some non-reason.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Maybe I'm in terrible denial, but the Pokemon shown seem a bit, incomplete.

We have plenty of Island Beasts and Guardian Deities, and the Alolan formes are understandably low, but two things sort of bugs me.

Marshadow's current design (I'm assuming it's Marshadow) looks akin to Solgaleo and Lunala smaller forms. I would also think that there would be a couple more mythical Pokemon.

1. Mew
2. Celebi
3. Jirachi, Deoxys (Gen III-V)
4. Manaphy, Phione (sort of/kind of), Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus
5. Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect
6. Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion

If someone has a different idea, please feel free to let me know.

Supersonicbro

I just remembered something, another reason why komala being single stage is so weird...it's bio talks about IT'S PARENTS, that and the proportions of it's head to it's body scream 1st stage. It really is disappointing that it is a standalone normal type, even with that ability.

(Still gonna use it though >_>)

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
There's so much info I just don't know where to start.... Thoughts on the new Pokemon I guess...

Alolan Persian - SO UGLY! Now I can understand why it wasn't announced. Why is its head so round? It looks like a badly made standard Persian 3D model from some budget animation.
Alolan Geodude line - Geodude looks ok, but the rest are awful. I wanted a magma rock. Do we need to blame awesome fan artists for taking all the cool ideas and leaving GF to design these. What are these? Fighting types?
Alolan Diglett & Dugtrio - Damn these final 3 are awful, did they design these last ones in a rush? I can't even tell what'll be significantly different for them? The ground is kinda like dried lava is the hair fresh lava?

Starter final evos. I liked all 3 for awhile, however Littens final evo actually looks really cool in 3D.

The Toucan - Finally a toucan! It looks awesome, I really hope its not just Normal/Flying however, not after the awesome that was Talonflame.
Special mention - Vicivolts shiny looks AWESOME
Crabrawlers evo / counterpart - If its not Fighting/Ice i'll cry, Please be fighting/ice. It looks cool whatever it is, looks like it should be massive, like mamoswine massive.
Sea Urchin - Looks pretty cool, can't wait to see it in detail and less pixilated. Maybe Water/poison is unoriginal or poison/fairy if they are?
Space bug - I think this thing will be a Water flea and a water spider, as water spiders carry bubbles around. So potentially another Water/Bug? Looks cool whatever it is, I want one now.
Mushrooms evolution - I really like this thing, it just looks so happy yet also creepy.
Salandits evolution - OMG this thing looks awesome! I just really hope its stats are good as I so want to use one on my main team. They may have rushed some of them alolan forms however many of these new pokemon look fantastic, especially....
Whimpods evolution - OMG THIS THING LOOKS AWESOME! That is the best looking Pokemon I've seen since Salandits evolution! Its just so cool looking, please, please, please stay Bug/Water and i'll forever forgive Masquerain for not being one.
Pukumuku - WHAT NO EVOLUTION? I guess its ability is good enough without one.
Koala - WHAT NO EVOLUTION? (maybe next gen hehe)
The turtle and Drampa I thought would get pre-evos also. Damn
Anchor - I do like it, however it looks so strange without any noticeable face, maybe on the back? Ghost/Water I guess (predicting allot of water types). Or Water/grass? Ghost/grass? I don't know. Anyways it dose look cool, just... no face.

The Guardians (So are these legendary pokemon or not? As with them abilities I want to breed them with perfect stats and natures, please be normal pokemon)
Anyways Apart from Tapo Koko I think they are all pretty meh, I was hoping they'd all look just like Tapo only with different masks. Not entirely different body shapes. What is the pink and purple ones anyways? Shinies colours a cool however. (just please don't be legends because... see Ultra beasts)

Mini Solgeleo and Lunnala? What are you? Are you wasted dex space? Are you pre-evos of actual legionaries? I reckon if you by Sun you get mini moon and vice versa. So when moon is out sun turns into its chibi.
Ghost cat - looks cute but who are you?

Ultra Beasts.... SO MANY QUESTIONS
like what are you? You have shiny versions so are you Pokemon? Can I catch you? Are you breed-able? Do you have types? Are you counted as legends as if so that's like 14 legends and that's not counting the guardians or Zygrades new forms (or any new event legends I'm sure the main game may hold). That's too many.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with the new Pokemon. Just upset with the final Alolan forms and the amount of legends we may get (if they are counted).
Also looks like there's no Z move forms or battle bond versions of other starters. Plus no new Megas (i knew there wouldn't be) however its still disappointing they dropped a good new mechanic to help fix old pokemon (sorry Flygon you have to keep waiting)

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Littens final form looks awesome. He looks like a straight up butt kicker. I figured Poppolio would be the one getting a intimidating form, but I was dead wrong lol.

Empoleon Bonaparte

Does the leakes cover all pokemon in SM? :( I am disappointed we are getting little Pokemon this region.

As far as we know, yes. The data miners found that although lots of text data was scrubbed from the demo, Game Freak apparently left in all the sprites. There's a very slight chance they're pulling a fast one, and that there might be more pokes in the main game, but that's a very slight probability.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Hoenn managed to introduce 135 new pokemon with many very unique and many complex designs.

Unova managed to introduce 156 new pokemon with many very unique and many complex designs.

There really isn't a correlation between number of pokemon and the "quality" of their designs.

What the people complaining about the size of the Gen 6 and 7 rosters are forgetting is that the inclusion of pokemon was very easy back then due to their being mere sprites.

Now full animations and rendering are required for each and every pokemon, and their various forms. There are 854 renderings for the Alolan Pokedex alone, and that's for 302 individual pokemon. Toss in the rest of the pokemon of the series, including forms and shinies, and we have over 1,500 renderings for battle. Double that for the overworld view, and that's over 3,000. THIS is what GameFreak is dealing with now, and it's not easy.

So, to all those who are upset about the small rosters, remember that the number of new pokemon isn't nearly the amount of renderings they're actually dishing out. Don't be so quick to criticize.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Littens final form looks awesome. He looks like a straight up butt kicker. I figured Poppolio would be the one getting a intimidating form, but I was dead wrong lol.
All of the final evolutions seem to almost contrast with the initial formes.

Rowlet turns from cute and cuddly, to cool and cutthroat (alliterations).
Litten turns from small and slick, to big and bulky (more of them).
Popplio turns from clumsy and apparent, to gorgeous and sublime (combo breaker).

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Anyone gonna talk about the Thunder Wave nerf... or I'm guessing that was already discussed

I talked about it in another thread.

The accuracy nerf helps, but the immobilization is still a problem.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
I really like almost every model in 3D. I was fine with a Dex leak, as long as no story got spoiled. The Toucan Pokemon is cool, but looks like a surprisingly real animal. Also, a question (if it's answerable). Do you think I'd be allowed to put the leaked models in my signature? Or would that be uncool, because people are trying to avoid spoilers?

R_N

Man...is Yeti the only ice type?

I assume the virus is some weird dark type combo, but I doubt it's dark/ice or something. None of the ultra beasts really look ice type (maybe UB01) either. Even gen 6 made sure to give every type at least 2 representatives, even if they were both from the same line (Skrelp, Dragalge)

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Man...is Yeti the only ice type?

I assume the virus is some weird dark type combo, but I doubt it's dark/ice or something. None of the ultra beasts really look ice type (maybe UB01) either. Even gen 6 made sure to give every type at least 2 representatives, even if they were both from the same line (Skrelp, Dragalge)
The Fairy type decided to kick the Ice typing to the curb

Status
Not open for further replies.