• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Man...is Yeti the only ice type?

I assume the virus is some weird dark type combo, but I doubt it's dark/ice or something. None of the ultra beasts really look ice type (maybe UB01) either. Even gen 6 made sure to give every type at least 2 representatives, even if they were both from the same line (Skrelp, Dragalge)

Actually, UB Black Tree actually looks like it could be an Ice-type, Dark/Ice even.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Maybe I'm in terrible denial, but the Pokemon shown seem a bit, incomplete.

We have plenty of Island Beasts and Guardian Deities, and the Alolan formes are understandably low, but two things sort of bugs me.

Marshadow's current design (I'm assuming it's Marshadow) looks akin to Solgaleo and Lunala smaller forms. I would also think that there would be a couple more mythical Pokemon.

1. Mew
2. Celebi
3. Jirachi, Deoxys (Gen III-V)
4. Manaphy, Phione (sort of/kind of), Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus
5. Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect
6. Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion

If someone has a different idea, please feel free to let me know.

The reason why we have so few Mythical Pokémon is likely because this generation is going to be very short, with the next Mythical likely being just an alternate forme of an old Mythical.

That, and there are a lot of event-exclusive forms waiting, like Red/Royal Magearna, EF Floette, Ash-Pikachu, Black Minior etc.

Orphalesion

What the people complaining about the size of the Gen 6 and 7 rosters are forgetting is that the inclusion of pokemon was very easy back then due to their being mere sprites.

Now full animations and rendering are required for each and every pokemon, and their various forms. There are 854 renderings for the Alolan Pokedex alone, and that's for 302 individual pokemon. Toss in the rest of the pokemon of the series, including forms and shinies, and we have over 1,500 renderings for battle. Double that for the overworld view, and that's over 3,000. THIS is what GameFreak is dealing with now, and it's not easy.

So, to all those who are upset about the small rosters, remember that the number of new pokemon isn't nearly the amount of renderings they're actually dishing out. Don't be so quick to criticize.

(jumps up, face red)THAT....(sits down)is actually a very good point.

3D modelling is hella hard, especially if the end-result is supposed to look good and unlike the "quality over quantityt" and "there's to many pokemanz!!" non-arguments, I can actually understand and accept this explanation.

Thanks for reminding us.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
With the weird evolution line tied to Pikipek.

The shared taxon is the Order level.

Toucans and woodpeckers are Piciformes.

This would be the same as how Zubat and Noibat are related by their shared taxon.

Grey Wind

Man...is Yeti the only ice type?

I assume the virus is some weird dark type combo, but I doubt it's dark/ice or something. None of the ultra beasts really look ice type (maybe UB01) either. Even gen 6 made sure to give every type at least 2 representatives, even if they were both from the same line (Skrelp, Dragalge)

I suppose they're using Alolan forms to make up for it. There's a reason like half of them are Ice or Dark.

I heard a rumor that we can go back to Kalos, is there any truth to that so far?
I think that stemmed from Ash Greninja's caught location being Kalos. There's no truth to it, anyway.

GDK

The reason why we have so few Mythical Pokémon is likely because this generation is going to be very short, with the next Mythical likely being just an alternate forme of an old Mythical.

That, and there are a lot of event-exclusive forms waiting, like Red/Royal Magearna, EF Floette, Ash-Pikachu, Black Minior etc.

Isn't black minior just shiny minior though?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I heard a rumor that we can go back to Kalos, is there any truth to that so far?

No, the assumption is there because Ash-Greninja's location is set to Kalos.

Historically such measures were done for future games, like Johto being a location in Platinum's data, but this case seems to be just fluff.

Edit:
Isn't black minior just shiny minior though?

Yes, I forgot that, earlier posts claimed it could be a Poké Ball Vivillon case, so my mind got lost in that.

Galvantula1992

So, forgive me but does this mean that Kommo-o is our pseudo-legendary this gen?

Nodame

Misty <3
As far as we know, yes. The data miners found that although lots of text data was scrubbed from the demo, Game Freak apparently left in all the sprites. There's a very slight chance they're pulling a fast one, and that there might be more pokes in the main game, but that's a very slight probability.

Then how come Cubone is not in the list.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
That's like saying Water Shuriken sounds better than Bubble for Froakie. Leafage isn't a strong move, so I don't see how you could compare it with this "Laser Focus" that could be more powerful.
I'm arguing names here... How does Laser Focus sound lame, yet Leafage gets a pass because it's gonna be a weak move you likely forget anyway? I mean Spiky Shield didn't sound all too impressive, yet it's a staple on Chesnaught to this day. Of coarse you could be right and this might be Mystical Fire all over again

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So, forgive me but does this mean that Kommo-o is our pseudo-legendary this gen?

Yes. Its dex location and BSTs of its pre-evos strongly imply that.

Edit: It is unlikely that any of the known moves are signature moves for starters, they generally don't get moves with in-battle text.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
With the weird evolution line tied to Pikipek.

The shared taxon is the Order level.

Toucans and woodpeckers are Piciformes.

Well, it wouldn't even be the first time we got a massive change in evolution. We got Carvanha, a pirranha, evolving into Torpedo, a shark. They don't even share anything beyond their phylum.

Dragon Pulse

I'm arguing names here... How does Laser Focus sound lame, yet Leafage gets a pass because it's gonna be a weak move you likely forget anyway? I mean Spiky Shield didn't sound all too impressive, yet it's a staple on Chesnaught to this day. Of coarse you could be right and this might be Mystical Fire all over again

Laser Focus sounds boring, and it was listed with not much uses. I only gave my opinion, jeez.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
^Carvanha to Sharpedo is more of a cannonball to torpedo situation than to river fish to sea shark.

ebevan91

Alolan Golem typing speculation anyone ? ground electric ? steel rock ??

I think pure Steel would be alright. But knowing Game Freak they'd be part Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.