1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ver-mont

Ver-mont Well-Known Member

For more details on that, there's Wulava's post.

We do know some of the Dex numbers, and the order of the Pokémon matches them perfectly.

2. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

JESUS CHRIST.

Fifty-three pages? Jeez... Can someone just sum up the datamines (excluding any possible story details/Ultra Beasts/the guardians)? I've already seen most of the images but given you've guys gotten to this many pages I feel like I've missed something.

3. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

Odd that a protector would miss its opportunity lol

4. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Member

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed that we have definite national dex numbers for everything that's been mined from the demo. In gen IV, stuff like Dialga and Palkia was at the end of the regional dex, but was shuffled up to make room for other new pokemon in the national so that they remained at the end.

If we have concrete national numbers for the leaked stuff, there's unlikely to be anything new after them. If we only have regional numbers and the national numbering is being assumed, then I'd say it's still all up in the air until the full release.

Especially with this being the 20th anniversary, and the fact we're already getting updated versions of gen I pokemon... More nostalgia in the post game sounds like a fair bet to me.

5. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that we met this Pokemon by saving it from a pack of Spearow right before Topu Koko saves us from dying after we fall off the bridge, meaning whatever this is it isn't strong nor capable of even saving itself. Yet.

6. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Why would gen 1 rank as better than gen 6 in incorporating legendaries? In gen 1 the legendaries had literally nothing to do with the storyline of the game. The birds got no story, and Mewtwo only got a few documents in that building on Cinnabar Island.

Perhaps one possibility for why more of the pokemon get revealed before launch these days is that the full animations and such make them better advertisements than the still images from early generations. It may be the focus has shifted from "look for pokemon you've never seen before and hope you want" to "look for pokemon we've already shown you and you know you want."

That is basically all there is to what was data mined, that is we got still images of presumably all the pokemon and Ultra Beasts in the games, but no details on types, abilities, stats, etc.. There's also a few new moves known, but most are unknown.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Lover of the Fairy type

Are the Ultra Beasts actually a part of the dex?

8. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Seems like they are, they have Pokedex sprites.

9. natie

natie Mr. F

Sounds plausible, but I don't think it's working out that well. With a month to go, I feel like they're just going to reveal every single Pokémon in the game before release, taking away any surprise/suspense. Of course there's still the story, the region and the rest of the game in general which they haven't talked much about at all, but no one plays Pokémon for the story so that doesn't matter.

10. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

Oh, wow. Have they explained that part as well? All I know was how Tapu Koko saves us because we're falling from the bridge, with no further information.

11. Makishi

Makishi Water Gym Leader

Well, I may as well say what a lot of people are thinking but no one is really stating. There are several reasons, in my opinion, thst this generation is disappointing. That is, if the datamine leak is complete or mostly complete as stands currently.

This set of games has been hyped all the way since X and Y. Everyone felt Kalos was incomplete, from the number of pokemon to the story that felt as though it was only half finished. In fact, those were the two complaints! People pushed as far as a Z version theorized as in development with new Kalos pokemon! It was clear, that a large number of pokemon was going to be needed for the next set of games to be considered a success with fans. Most fans have been waiting for this, to see if Game freak could learn from their failures and succeed where X and Y DIDN'T.

So let's be real here, the number of new pokemon is drastically similar to X and Y. They still have a month to go and will probably have 3 or 4 releases in the press by then. Let's face it, they're going to have a limited number of pokemon and reveal almost all of them AGAIN. JUST like X and Y! The first thing is oobviously we are disappointed with the nunber of pokemon as well as the fact that Game freak revealed most of them yet again, and learned nothing from their past failure. Why would that sting so much? Because as fans, or hell, even as consumers who have supported their franchise for 20+ years it feels like the company doesn't care about what the fans want.

And that is not the kind of reaction you want from your customer base as you launch the pinnacle of a year long effort to celebrate 20 years of business!

Which brings me to my next topic. It was never stated anywhere directly, but let's admit it. These were supposed to be the best pokemon games yet. You all knew you were hoping for it, and that you were thinking it. A year of hype, press releases, risky moves, great designs, innovation and game changing improvements and decisions that were shaking the foundations of the way a pokemon main game series would be played in all GOOD ways!

Just when you thought they couldn't top their last press release, here come ultra beasts, here come alola forms, here come z moves, amazing pokemon concepts, characters, the list keeps going. Everyone's biggest fear, which kept increasing with every press release was simple: how much would be left after months of reveals? Would they exhaust their bag of tricks and reveal nearly everything before the games came out? Or would this hype all be followed with what fans hoped would be the best pokwmon game yet!

The development team at Game Freak historically love Hawaii and have gone on the record to say they have wanted to make a region based off Hawaii for some number of years. Their own top staff frequently vacation there and felt very inspired by the place. A region busting with beauty, life and rich culture in real life, the imagination of fantasy could only yield amazing results in the fictional video game world where the possibilities were endless!

And now? It feels lackluster. Like a letdown.

I have to tell you, every time there was a press release that was "risky" I found myself discussing the same statement many times with others. We liked all the cool updates, but one thing we DIDN'T want was for Alola forms and mega beasts to mean a lack of new pokemon. It's a general consensus among fans that we like all of the innovations and welcome them, but not at the expense of content we actually want in the first place. Pokemon has been successful since it's very first games. Not because of the story. Think back to Red/Blue. What was the story? Gotta catch em all and be the best like no one ever was. We were addicted to catching all the amazing pokemon, training them, and winning battles. That's it. We weren't trying to solve the philosophical and political threads of a overworld. We were just out exploring, catching pokemon, and battling. It's a formula that continued to work for them through Gold and Silver, and even Ruby and Sapphire. In fact, it wasn't until they began to place a larger emphasis on story and less on pokemon in Diamond and Pearl that the franchise saw its fan base waver.

My point is, it's seems these games will nail the story aspect of the game. And I think that's great, it really is. But at the end of the day, that's not what makes pokemom fun. For these to be the best pokemon main series games to date, and to really deliver on all of the hype not just that come with new main series games in general but 20 years worth of history to celebrate, a large number of pokemon is necessary. To have anything less, is simply inexcusable.

And with Pokemon being threatened in their native country of Japan by the Yokai Watch series, they really can't afford a fsilure at this point.

And when you see what they had left for us? All fans are seeing is lots of hype, just so a company can cash in on their fan base without delivering on what they really wanted.

Everywhere you look there are mixed signalso in these games also. A seemingly exclusive celebration of Kano pokemon, and yes less than 20 new forms? And one of those isn't an Eeveelution, possibly one of the biggest cash cows of the series? Dugtrio literally got the Mega Ampharos treatment and they slapped some hair on it.

Speaking of Megas, no new megas? What was controversial is now celebrated and even wanted. Something Game freak should be grateful for! Even there, the company dropped the ball.

With these recent leaks, I feel like (if this is it) they really did screw this up. When fakemon artists can provide more material for these games in a month than a multimillion dollar company can in three years, we have a big big problem.

(I'm aware I have lots of typos. Please be patient while I edit this post. It's a big one, and I am working from a cell phone.)

12. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

But at least there's a chance that it's a fire/dark type. So I'm hoping for that.

13. Julia Artemis

Julia Artemis Well-Known Member

What did 6th gen really play into the story? We just got their name when we got to Dendemille Town and than saw them when we had to stop Team Flare which was really anticlimatic their was barely any story or lore to them. I think 1st gen did a slightly better job of the legendary birds and MewTwo. Though if pressed maybe I'm ranking it higher due to nostagia and liking their designs more, in reality they're probably tied which is a bigger slam against Xerneas and Yveltal. They should of been better at crafting a story by 6th gen.

14. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Here's Gamexplain explaining in great detail the first 20 minutes. They don't mention it by name or say what it is because they were told not to but Polygon gave us the puzzle piece instead.

15. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

I'm just as hyped as I was before the leaked dex, tbh. I like as many Pokemon in Gen 7 as I did in Gen 5 and Gen 6 combined. The only thing I find disappointing is that apparently the original leaker mistook something for a dolphin Pokemon and that the fire starter is bipedal YET AGAIN.

But going forward, they really need to expand the gimmicks - Mega Evolution and regional forms - beyond Gen 1. I get why they give it so much love but there's no reason for them to constantly sideline the middle gens like they do with that stuff.

16. Tropios

Tropios ':o Me is stinky??'

Nah, you're not alone at all. I think most people are just not liking the fact that GF is slowing down on new pokemon. Outside of serebii I haven't really seen as much negative reactions yet.

This gen looks like one of the best to me, designwise.

17. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Can anyone do me a favor and link me to all the new Pokémon/Alola forms?

18. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

mega evolutions at least had a spread from the start, even if gen 5 & 6 were untouched and gen 2 & 4 were minimal. Gen 3 really hit the jackpot by the end thanks to ORAS remakes.

honestly i wish they'd just start doing evolutions again...

19. Lbbaker

Lbbaker Lbbaker

So from what dataminers are saying, their are still 9 sprites/Pokemon not accounted for. I wouldn't get my hopes up for new Pokemon as they just may be other forms or something of that sort but there is still a glimmer of hope!

20. Julia Artemis

Julia Artemis Well-Known Member

I was intially disappointed, mostly because I felt like pokemon that are standalones really shouldn't be and feel like they'll get forgotten real fast. But overall really love the Pokemon in this gen, vast improvement over the ones in 6th gen so it's quality over quantity which I'm fine with and from what I gather this will be a more plot influenced game so not having a ton of new pokemon is fine.

Edit:

Oh.....So Komala being the Slaking of this game, is still a possibilty as well as Pyukumuku not being a total waste? Yay!!!! But also mean we'll probably get Marshadow's other form or "evolution?" which sort of suprised me when I saw Solgaleo's and Lunala's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.