1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Eh maybe not Mega Evolution, gen 3 is king of Mega Evolution atm by a large margin (and was pretty close in XY). But Alola Forms, yea there's no excuse.

2. Tagi

Tagi Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too but it's enough it didn't get a spot on either my planned sun or moon team. I'm just too tired of the asthetic. Soft resetting for a shiny litten though - that might be in my future lol

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

4. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

So would that mean there could be a chance for post-game 'mons that are not found in the Alola dex? Kind of like magmortar or electivire for gen 4?

5. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Those are Totem Pokemon.

6. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

I actually think that the DP remakes might see some new Megas forms and that's where we'll get new ones from now on might be remakes. But if they are determined to slow down on the number of completely new Pokemon then imo a good way to do it is regional forms - just don't leave it with only the Kanto ones getting them!

7. Julia Artemis

Julia Artemis Well-Known Member

I'm also thinking they'll have more regional variations as that was the game that sort of started that concept with Wormadam and Shellos. Really the Johto Pokemon need the most help.

8. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Not sure why I haven't seen it much but Alolan Golem clearly has a plug on its head. Ground/Electric incoming.

9. Captain America X

Captain America X Well-Known Member

Nice,hopefully that ends up being new Pokemon.Dolphin pokemon and Komala/Pyukumuku evos please

10. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

11. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

I am too, I was hoping for more of a tiger/wildcat look. But now I'll be looking for wrestler names (heel ones that is).

12. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

13. Julia Artemis

Julia Artemis Well-Known Member

For me that's all I need. Those pokemon just look horribly underdeveloped and incomplete, though maybe Minior could use an evo to with the same ability I'm just not sure how good it will be standalone and maybe an evo of Ribombee. The Dolphin would be nice but really not sure it's necessary.

14. Galvantula1992

Galvantula1992 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that these leaked Pokemon are real however for one thing sticks out to me like a sore thumb:

Alolan Marowak isn't included in the list. While I'm certain that the Pokemon on the list are real, the fact that Alolan Marowak isn't on there makes me think there may be more Pokemon that aren't on the list but are still in the game, coupled with the fact that there don't seem to be any Ice-types.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Morelull's evolution is Poison/Fairy? The fact that fungi are poisonous and the fact that it is pink, the traditional Poison-type colour just gives me the overall vibe that it is. Also, the bright pink and green dots tend to give off warning of poison.

15. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Holy cow... that new Golem almost looks like it's part magnet now. So I'm figuring it'll be part Electric?

16. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

You're speaking for a very particular subset of fans though, namely the ones that want over a 100 new pokemon per game and want a lot of them not revealed until the game is released. Many other fans don't care much about that.

Indeed since when does number of new pokemon equal the success of a generation? Gameplay improvements, alterations to attacks and movesets, and many other things are just as important.

Basically you're assuming way too much about what is important to pokemon fans as a whole.

Have you played the demo? The game looks to be the most immersive and beautiful yet in pokemon. I for one got over any letdown I had over the number of new mons very quickly once I experienced how good the game felt to play.

Catching them all was not really a focus, you could get through gen one with one pokemon if you wanted. The story was to get the gym badges, stop Team Rocket, and conquer the Pokemon League.

There was quite a bit of story in Ruby and Sapphire, so I don't see how that is true. Not to mention how many people loved Diamond and Pearl. Honestly every gen has had people saying the games are getting worse in some way, which usually equates to saying the games are not doing what that particular fan wanted.

In your opinion perhaps, but these games have never been advertised as having a large number of new pokemon as far as I am aware.

But the legendary birds and Mewtwo had nothing to do with the rest of the game (again, beyond some notes about Mewtwo in that one building). By that criteria alone they should be ranked "worse" in integrating with the game's story.

Xerneas/Yveltal were integrated by being the main pokemon that powered the Ultimate Weapon in the ancient war, and in turn spread Mega Stones all over the world.

I really don't get the hate on 6th gen's story. The whole history with the Ultimate Weapon, the ancient war, and Team Flare was the most epic stuff the game had done until ORAS. It fell flatter in giving most of the gym leaders character, but the story itself seemed no worse than previous gens (and Lysandre at least had more of a motivation than simply "I hate emotions and want to live in a world with just myself" like Cyrus).

17. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

I've gotta say, the Alolan forms are pretty disappointing, overall. It feels like half of them had a lot of thought put into them and Game Freak really wanted them in, but they needed to inflate the count up to where it is just so that it could be a "thing."

Raichu, Marowak, and Exeggutor could've easily just been split evolutions. Raticate family and Persian family are kinda neat, and the Ice-types look pretty, if not a little recolor-y, but the other three families are just designs that were previously simple with rocks and/or wigs tacked onto them.

18. Bus

Bus Well-Known Member

So what does that put us at for number of pokemon then? Does that bring us to 80 or 88? Then if we include the Ultra Beasts (they may be catchable; I mean, why else would they have Shiny Sprites?) that's 8 more bringing it to 96, which is at least a bit more respectable. Not a lot, but hey, Im happy with what they've revealed. Plus, I mean, the Alola Pokemon have new typings, abilities, and moveset possibilities too. They may share the names with pokemon we already know, but aside from dugtrio (hilarious design, but once the novelty wears off, its incredibly stupid) they are new pokemon, so we can technically add them to the list and say we have over 100 new pokemon.

Its going to be a matter of semantics, really, and how you view things. We've got 17 Alola Pokemon forms that can only be found in this game. You cant bring in something from another region and expect it to evolve into its Alola form; it is brand new. Whether you want to admit it or not, they are new pokemon. They could have easily scrapped the 'Alola' form idea and made each of them into seperate beings with similar designs (except, again, for Dugtrio...) so I think its pretty fair to add their number to the count of 'New Pokemon'. Which means, even without the '9 more sprites' (if that is true), we have 97 + 8 Ultra beasts (which is looking likely to be new pokemon, but we still dont know), so at the very least, its looking like it'll match what Generation 4 brought to the table (and they had a lot of new pokemon that were simply evos/prevos to gen 1-3 guys too, 28 to be exact).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  19. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I feel like it was a great idea with a missed opportunity.

I think it would have been better if non-Gen I Pokemon got them. It wasn't like Gen I had non-redundant or simplistic designs already.

20. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

I am sad that Alola Arcanine wasn't a real thing, tbh. That might have been really cool :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.