1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Look two posts above you.

2. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

Not sure what Lore would change it to a Water type though

3. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Any moreso than some other standalone pokemon though? Komala looks as well developed as any of the Pika clones, or Klefki, Audino, Stunfisk, etc.

But many fungi are not poisonous, and the color scheme is pretty much the same as the first stage.

4. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

"what if we made these pokemon a joke" felt like a weirdly consistent design decision for these things???

what if exeggutor....was really tall! and had a doofy head on its tail! and also, a dragon!
    what if meowth....was sassy
    What if persian, the sleek elegant giant cat....was big headed doofus
    what if geodude's entire line had filiment beards & eyebrows
    what if raichu ate lots of pancackes (ok that's more the origin and not the design but)
    WHAT IF DUGTRIO WORE A WIG

5. Kaasuti

Kaasuti MegaKaasutizard

I still think there is more too come. We'll just have to wait until the next announcement :p

6. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

Omg. XD Who knows? :p

Came up with some names for them if I am able to get them on my team.

Robin the Owl
    The Beatles (male) or Loreal the Alolan Dugtrio
    The Cable Guy the weird cable dude Ultra Beast
    Sam the Toucan like guy
    Liz the Salandit (female)
    Alien the Massive bug relation to Wimpod
    Metroid the Virus like Pokemon

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Member

... The same that changed Vulpix ice type?

8. dsharks

dsharks New Member

My first thought seeing Marshadow is that it's the thing driving Magearna. Isn't there some sort of implication somewhere that Magearna is an artificial body piloted by a spirit-like being?

9. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

It's like they had a number of things they wanted to do to a couple of Gen I Pokemon, and ended up just tying them under one umbrella of "Alolan forms" and called it a day.

People have pointed out that Grimer and Muk were the last two revealed, and the only ones unrevealed were Diglett and Dugtrio, Geodude, Graveler, and Golem, and Persian, which are pretty much the laziest, while the first five were the ones that had a ton of fan appeal. It irks me that they knew those designs were meh; I get that there's only so much you can do with Muk and Diglett, but if that's the case, why were those Pokemon candidates for Alolan forms in the first place?

I definitely agree that there's merit to the concept; even if they just went "add type X to Pokemon Y" for most of them a la Ninetales or Sandslash, I think a lot of people would've been happy. That's kind of why I'm wondering why we got... what we got.

I don't get this whole "Dugtrio is wearing a wig! lol!" meme.

It's very clearly wearing three wigs.

10. Pokemon Fan

The lore is that Magearna was brought to life by the device (Soul Heart) in the center of its body storing up the life energy of various pokemon (the movie shows how this was done).

11. .Aerodactyl.

.Aerodactyl. Well-Known Member

Gonna play devil's advocate here...but I feel the logic behind wanting more Pokémon is a little bit faulty. I understand, there is a part of me that wants more to, but i also realize it's a bit of a misnomer. Like, what if we found out tomorrow that we got 50 more Pokémon, but you didn't like any of their designs? Would it make a huge difference? I think it really comes down to if there is enough new things that we like, more so than the total number.

I also understand not wanting the whole Pokédex shown at first.. but I mean I don't understand it HERE in this thread. We all obviously don't care about finding out all the Pokémon before release or we wouldn't be in a spoiler thread. What difference does it make to us how many they revealed and how many remained secret since we looked them all up anyway?

I understand it seems like not listening to fans, but the same fan's that said they wanted less revealed before release were some of the same ones looking at the leaks... It also didn't hurt their sales at all. Not one bit. And we aren't the only voice, there are plenty of people that WANT the whole dex before. So they can't really cater to both at once...

I do think there has to be a certain amount of new Pokémon, don't get me wrong. And there will always be designs some of us like and some we don't and that will vary between people. But honestly, I think the engine and the mechanics are the most important more so than Pokémon number from a marketing and business side.

That's not to say that people can't vent their frustrations, or that they are wrong. We all have different opinions and play for different reasons, etc. So don't take this as an attack or that you have to change your mind. This is just MY two cents!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

If you see it from the back it's one giant mane of hair, it's quite impressive
    the dugtrio stylist is a miracle worker

13. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

Vulpix living in Icy mountains makes more sense then Growlithe suddenly deciding to move to living in the Ocean (or other bodies of Water such as Lakes or Rivers)

14. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Now that I've seem to caught up on the datamines, I have my verdict on the stuff. Get ready...

Eh. I'm a bit disappointed there's only 81 new 'Mon, but pretty much all of them look good so I'm ok with it. However, I'm a bit upset about:

-The last couple Alolan forms, they're a bit lackluster
    -GF basically revealed all of the new guys
    -Really hate Pikipek's evos.
    -No new fossils.

Being honest, I hope that there are still a couple of Pokémon that they just took out of the demo so I still have some new stuff to look forward to when I play-through...

15. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Member

How so? I don't see either one being any more or less likely, personally.

Which doesn't mean we're actually getting a water Arcanine, but still...

16. knightwolf09

knightwolf09 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Pikipek's evo. It's just a toucan.

17. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

I found the zip folder, and the datamined dump...

...did not have the starters or legendaries for previous generations.

I am not trying to imply that there "may be more 7th gen Pokemon, but there are some in there that I don't see.

I would guess that all of these Pokemon appear in Sun and Moon, while the rest are transfer only.

18. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

I think you answered your own question. They wanted to something with Diglett-line and Grimer-line, two lines which were common but insignificant, so this was the best they could have with Yokai Watch standards.

Can you compile a list of unobtainables? It is kind of relevant.

19. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Exactly. For starters, the jump seems reallllly big, and second, there's nothing exciting about it. It's literally just a toucan.

20. Pokemon Fan

Pikipek's final evo does really stand out as all the previous regional birds ended up looking rather majestic. Its just a toucan. A nice-looking toucan admittedly, but still just a normal-looking toucan. It doesn't look like something that could peck quickly either, reducing my hopes for a five hit pecking move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.