• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Eh, if anything, having 2 consecutive gens with less than 100 pokemon, makes me less upset about the whole thing because it's obviously a conscious decision to slow down, rather than a product of lack of time.

Alolan Dugtrio is amazing in all its hilariousness. I really wanted Pyukumuku to get an evo, but I prefer to appreciate all the great things we got rather than get worked up about the things we didn't get.

The fact that is a conscious decision makes it seem worse....like they actually are running out of ideas, the thing that genwunners always say. Could they really not think of an evolution design for komala?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I never believed those people who kept saying they were certain Sun & Moon would have more than around 80 new pokemon (which was the amount of new pokemons one of the leakers said SM would have). Even though i expected something like that, it still makes me sad anyway.

Hell, I knew right off the bat there were going to be about 80.

I honestly don't know how I knew, but I knew.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
The fact that is a conscious decision makes it seem worse....like they actually are running out of ideas, the thing that genwunners always say. Could they really not think of an evolution design for komala?

Why does everyone assume that just because they decided not to have a pokemon evolve, it was because they couldn't think of an evolution. What's so hard to believe about a company that runs a game that has, now, over 800 characters deciding to slow down on how many they put out with each successive game?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I really don't want to say I think they're running out of ideas, but I agree with you.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Why does everyone assume that just because they decided not to have a pokemon evolve, it was because they couldn't think of an evolution. What's so hard to believe about a company that runs a game that has, now, over 800 characters deciding to slow down on how many they put out with each successive game?

I just don't get how komala didn't get an evolution. Now it's just going to be another forgotten pokemon with lost potential due to being to weak to really ever be viable. Same with a few others. Yet they thought it was necessary to give us dugtrio with drag.

BCVM22

It is unfortunate that you opened all of your presents early and didn't get exactly what you wanted. But please, kill this nascent narrative of "I didn't get the Pokémon I wanted specifically because they created an Alolan form instead" before it festers and infects your experience. You're only hurting your own enjoyment of the games, and doing so on a basis that isn't true.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Isn't it possible that some of Pokémon are intentionally removed from the demo?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Alright, well it's 1 am, and I've got to get up at 9 for a Latin midterm. I better go to bed. Happy speculating everyone!

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I just don't get how komala didn't get an evolution. Now it's just going to be another forgotten pokemon with lost potential due to being to weak to really ever be viable. Same with a few others. Yet they thought it was necessary to give us dugtrio with drag.

Not every pokemon can be a complete competitive beast. There are always pokemon in every generation that are "forgettable." Funny thing is, which pokemon are forgotten is extremely subjective. You might consider pokemon that aren't competitively viable forgettable, doesn't mean everyone else has forgotten them.

DrakeKoryu

I tried to count them and I seem to be missing 2 new pokémons... can anybody post a link to all of the 81 pokémons

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
So, I think I've figured out why there are so many Ice and Dark Alolan forms.

I think the Ultra Beasts are the new pokemon with these types. Not all of them, of course. Now, if only the Ultra Beasts hold Ice and Dark typings, that means there would be no new Dark and Ice-types in the wild. Therefore, something has to fill the void. Why not Alolan forms?

UBs have been explicitly marketed as something new and not Pokemon. So it wouldn't surprise me if they had no types at all, so no weaknesses, no resistance and no advantage over certain types.

Also unrelated to your post, It sounds highly unlikely for GF to reveal nearly every Pokemon before the release of the game already. This can't be all and probably won't (my hope).

Gohankuten

So, I think I've figured out why there are so many Ice and Dark Alolan forms.

I think the Ultra Beasts are the new pokemon with these types. Not all of them, of course. Now, if only the Ultra Beasts hold Ice and Dark typings, that means there would be no new Dark and Ice-types in the wild. Therefore, something has to fill the void. Why not Alolan forms?

Or it could be all these Ice and Dark Alolan forms are Moon version exclusive and we may have others that are Sun version exclusive since if you have noticed quite a few of them have been pokemon that were version exclusives for Gen 1.

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
It is unfortunate that you opened all of your presents early and didn't get exactly what you wanted. But please, kill this nascent narrative of "I didn't get the Pokémon I wanted specifically because they created an Alolan form instead" before it festers and infects your experience. You're only hurting your own enjoyment of the games, and doing so on a basis that isn't true.
Too late...

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

I'm not going to let it ruin the whole game, but I'm also not going to be an apologist for gamefreak. They made a bunch of mostly color swaps or minor design changes for kanto pokemon...because gen 1.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Probably because the fact that Komala and Pyukumuku look soooo incomplete that they make a good bunch of gen 1 Pokemon look fine? Like seriously Komala has that cutesy look to it similar to Cubchoo and Stufful, Pyukumuku is literally a spherical Pokemon with pink spikes and a fluffy butt.

If they couldn't make evolutions for them/didn't want to and decided dragtrio was a good idea that absolutely had to make it in game?

Plus looking back at Alolan Geodude's line it looks like they took the regular sprites and tossed random stuff on them? I don't know about anybody else but the forms that were hidden make GF look really lazy.

But that is just me.

My whole point here is this: They could've done better. A lot better. Especially with the timeframe being similar to that of BW > XY. XY at least had serious looking designs with their Megas and all the new Pokemon appeared complete and well done. At least, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Isn't it possible that some of Pokémon are intentionally removed from the demo?

That's exactly what people said about Megas and the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire demo.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Or maybe the transition to an entirely new style of graphics means taking baby steps?

Their first fully 3D main game had 72 new pokemon and 48 forms of old ones. Their second one has 81 new pokemon and 18 forms of old ones. This shows progress, not regress. They are slowly gaining the confidence to focus more on new mons and becoming less dependent on the old mons. If this is truly accurate, by Gen 8 we could see 100+ new pokemon, and very few forms of old pokemon, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.