• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia Artemis

You guys do realize they do massive rehaul of the graphics and are using a totally different game engine and we still have access to over 300 pokemon and over 800 in January? Really that's not terrible. I wanted more, but still this isn't bad.

Ajduk

The game looks amazing so far :D
Now announce a battle frontier with a battle factory and it will be perfect!
Please, PLEASE, no more ''battle tower'' postgame content. The maison was painful enough.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
IKR. :/ It's like GF think "Importing Pokémon from another region" means "More Gen 1 Pokémon than ever before".

It just means that they are pandering to genwunners like they did with xy. Which is annoying because it actually does affect the amount of other regional pokemon. There are so many great ones from gen 5 yet most will be left out.

Obh

The huge success of pokemon go would not have helped with game freaks view that people want kanto pokemon.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I just noticed something - Alolan Dugtrio looks like a mom with 2 children xD

B. Thunder Tiger

Yes, I don't know if you're aware (the tone of your post implies not) but that is pretty much certain because the yeti crab is a real thing.

Let's say this once more for the people in the back: WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TYPES THE DATAMINED POKEMON ARE. Some of them could very easily be Ice and/or Dark. Especially the Crabrawler evo, which I'd bet a large sum on being Fighting/Ice.

Ha, well look at that! Call me stumped. Thanks for showing me. I didn't actually know a yeti-crab existed. Yeah, i'm thinking its going to be Fighting/Ice. If so, I'd likely take it on my team.

chess-z

campy vampire
That's BS.

People wanting more pokemon is not entitlement, unless they refuse to buy the game if there isnt 100+ pokemon.

People being disapointed in a design isnt entitlement either, unless they boast about being able to make better design.

Fair enough. I was wrong. Entitlement was certainly too strong a word to use.

blob

Most of them are not complaining about the introduction of something new though, they are complaining about the lack of more new pokemon, which i kind of agree with, if we take into account that SM's marketing focused a lot on the new pokemon and yet it doesn't have that many.

IMO, the introduction of Ultra Beasts is something quite good for postgame, because most of the postgame trainers are weaker than the E4 and you already have pokemon stronger than the E4 so beating them is no challenge. But if you introduce creatures that are like bosses, with huge HP, then you'll have some sort of challenge in the postgame (aside from the battle facility, which is becoming quite boring lately).
If it's not a postgame feature then at least we will have more challenge in the story, which is always welcome since they made it so much easier.

I'm not complaining about new stuff, in fact, I'm whining more about the fact that Alola has less and instead that:
- There are somehow more Gen 1 Pokémon than new Pokémon
- The Pokédex shrunk back to around 300~, despite the fact that Kalos had many, many Pokémon
- Not enough Pokémon from Gens 4-6 in Alola dex
- The distribution of Types in Alola seems to be off, since there are like 70 Fighting Types, yet only around 10 Ice Types.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The huge success of pokemon go would not have helped with game freaks view that people want kanto pokemon.

Not that it really affect sun and moon at all, since the games were essentially done before Go even launched. Which just shows more gamefreak from the started wanted to pander.

Julia Artemis

Ha, well look at that! Call me stumped. Thanks for showing me. I didn't actually know a yeti-crab existed. Yeah, i'm thinking its going to be Fighting/Ice. If so, I'd likely take it on my team.

I feel vindicated! I was the only one that was loving Crabrawler when I saw it (I don't know why by I like all the previous crustacean pokemon) and this evo made me expectations completely right. It seems like it will be the Ice/Fighting Ambosnow. That I didn't expect, but that's a great idea in all honesty.

2dtyplosion

The eshop versions of red blue and yellow were a red flag from the start being able to connect to sun and moon. I just didnt think theyd take the pandering as far as they did.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I absolutely love the region, it looks great and feels fresh. But the actual pokemon themselves are lackluster for me.

They've got some good pokemon like the starters, Rockruff and its evols, Type: Null, but that's as far as it goes for me. I just feel like lots of the pokemon are either facialess or its very hard to see their facial features, there seems to be too many pokemon like Crygonal, Sigilyph, etc. which are pokemon I don't like. All of the Island Guardians for me fit this category, as well as so many pokemon in the region. They just don't seem like creatures to me, which I understand that doesn't need to make it a pokemon, like Voltorb and Magnemite are examples when it comes to older pokemon, but there weren't many like that in their region, or throughout each region, but this time, it seems like that's all there seems to be. And like someone mentioned earlier, the grass types just feel like general lackluster pokemon from the past, plus there are too many pokemon like that in the actual region. It makes me a bit disappointed because my team is going to lack so many new pokemon which I don't like doing when I start a new game.

Xblade13

Experimentalist
My speculation to go with what we know:

Rowlett - GRASS/FLYING
Dartrix - GRASS/FLYING
??? - GRASS/FLYING

Litten - FIRE
Torracat - FIRE
??? - FIRE/DARK

Popplio - WATER
Brionne - WATER
??? - WATER/FAIRY

Pikipek - NORMAL/FLYING
??? - NORMAL/FLYING
??? - NORMAL/FLYING

Yungoos - NORMAL
Gumshoos - NORMAL

Grubbin - BUG
Charjabug - BUG/ELECTRIC
Vikavolt - BUG/ELECTRIC

Rockruff - ROCK
Lycanroc - ROCK

Komala - NORMAL

Bruxish - WATER/PSYCHIC

Fomantis - GRASS
Lurantis - GRASS

Cutiefly - BUG/FAIRY
Ribombee - BUG/FAIRY

Stufful - NORMAL/FIGHTING
Bewear - NORMAL/FIGHTING

Mudbray - GROUND
Mudsdale - GROUND

Comfey - FAIRY

Oricorio - FIRE/ELECTRIC/PSYCHIC/GHOST /FLYING

Wishiwashi - WATER

Crabrawler - FIGHTING
??? - FIGHTING/ICE

Togedemaru - ELECTRIC/STEEL

Passimian - FIGHTING

Oranguru - NORMAL/PSYCHIC

Bounsweet - GRASS
Steenee - GRASS
Tsareena - GRASS

Sandygast - GROUND/GHOST
Palossand - GROUND/GHOST

Drampa - NORMAL/DRAGON

Wimpod - BUG/WATER
??? - BUG/WATER or BUG/DRAGON

Pyukumuku - WATER

Salandit - POISON/FIRE
??? - POISON/FIRE

Morelull - GRASS/FAIRY
??? - GRASS/FAIRY

Tortunator - DRAGON/FIRE

Mimikyu - GHOST/FAIRY

??? (anchor) - STEEL/PSYCHIC

Minior - ROCK/FLYING

Type:Null - NORMAL(ANY)
Silvally - NORMAL(ANY)

??? (TCG sea urchin) - POISON/STEEL
??? - POISON/STEEL

??? (bubble spider) - BUG/ICE
??? - BUG/ICE

Jangmo-o - DRAGON
Hakamo-o - DRAGON/FIGHTING
Kommo-o - DRAGON/FIGHTING

Taking Koko - ELECTRIC/FAIRY
??? - PSYCHIC/FAIRY
??? - GHOST/FAIRY
??? - FIRE/FAIRY

UBs
... - ???

Solgaleo - PSYCHIC/STEEL
Lunala - PSYCHIC/GHOST
Marshadow - DARK/FAIRY

Magearna - STEEL/FAIRY

I think I have that right. That isn't including Alolan forms or such.

Xuxuba

You guys do realize they do massive rehaul of the graphics and are using a totally different game engine and we still have access to over 300 pokemon and over 800 in January? Really that's not terrible. I wanted more, but still this isn't bad.

IMO, it's good that they are trying out non chibi characters and new camera angles, but graphics weren't our main concern back in gen 6, most of us were pretty much happy with XY's graphics. What i found gen 6 lacked was more new pokemon, a better postgame and a good plot. We might not have the former in Gen 7, but hey at least there is still hope for a better postgame and a good plot.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I, for one, actually like so many of the new pokemon that I'm gonna buy both versions for the first time ever, just because there's too many I want to use in my playthrough.

DrakeKoryu

For me it's weird that even though we will be able to pass pokémons from blue, red and yellow, the versions are having so much gen 1, it just seems odd to me.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
IMO, it's good that they are trying out non chibi characters and new camera angles, but graphics weren't our main concern back in gen 6, most of us were pretty much happy with XY's graphics. What i found gen 6 lacked was more new pokemon, a better postgame and a good plot. We might not have the former in Gen 7, but hey at least there is still hope for a better postgame and a good plot.

Have you played the demo though? Alola seems so vast and detailed in it and we can only see a part of it. I would take only 80 new pokemon and these graphics over 130 new ones and gen 6 graphics any day.

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
I agree with this. They should have just limited it to the Alolan forms and some regulars like Zubat. The lack of Gen 5 Pokemon really shocked me a bit. I understand that some just look like copies of Gen 1 Pokemon but I prefer some of the Gen 5 additions over the Gen 1 Pokemon (Bouffalant e.g.).

That most Gen 6 Pokemon have been omitted is understandable, but at least I can feel lucky that they decided to include my number 1 favourite Pokemon (Trevenant) from it. Would have liked to see Heliolisk, as well, but one can't have it all.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I'm not complaining about new stuff, in fact, I'm whining more about the fact that Alola has less and instead that:
- There are somehow more Gen 1 Pokémon than new Pokémon
- The Pokédex shrunk back to around 300~, despite the fact that Kalos had many, many Pokémon
- Not enough Pokémon from Gens 4-6 in Alola dex
- The distribution of Types in Alola seems to be off, since there are like 70 Fighting Types, yet only around 10 Ice Types.

I think the answers to all of these are in the nature of Alola.
- From this and the fact that only Kanto Pokemon seem to take on Alola forms, I think we can assume Kanto is the closest region to Alola. I wouldn't be surprised if it was located not far beyond the Orange Islands, if they ever become game canon.
- Alola is a (geographically) small region that is by definition very isolated. A smaller regional dex makes sense.
- This again explained by Kanto (and therefore Johto) being nearby, and the climate being similar to Hoenn, whereas Unova is always described as very far away, and we don't know of Kalos' geographical relationship to anything.
- The low number of Ice types makes perfect sense to me considering this is a tropical region with apparently exactly one cold area (and that due to altitude, so aquatic Ice types are largely out).

To my mind, this all seems to be GF sticking to their vision for Alola and the immersive environment they're trying to create, rather than a "step backward". It's different, not bad.

Grey Wind

I find it really hard to believe that Komala and Pyukumuku don't evolve, so I'm gonna hold out hope that there's at least a couple more Pokemon that were left out.

For the new ones, I love Crabrawler and Wimpod's evos, although Salandit's is kind of a let down. Hoping the crab is Fighting/Ice. I'm a fan of the weird spiky thing that was leaked on the TCG set and the ship wheel too. I'm still screaming at Alolan Dugtrio (WHAT were they going for) but the rest are kind of underwhelming. Rock/Electric should be cool though, assuming that's the typing.

I'm really interested in the pre-evo/forms of the legendaries. Are we assuming that's what Marshadow is and there's a "proper" form yet to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.