• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauke_von_Arding

I am personally hoping they aren't catchable. They just seem too far removed from pokemon. I mean can you imagine grooming an eldritch abomination like that one with the giant stomach mouth? Yes we've had a lot of imposing, alien-like pokemon before but these things are just on another level (aside from the jellyfish one).

Or a living electrical wire... they don't really look very Pokemonish. Not even like the typical object pokemon.

.Aerodactyl.

This might just be my own bitterness, but the more I look at the 'mons, the more let down I feel...I'm all for quality over quantity, but if you were going to create so few 'mons, it would be nice to include some things that the people will like...I get it...it's your game so you should make it in your vision. However, it just feels like this game's roster doesn't care too much about what the fans want...bring back gen one 'mons? Give them goofy forms (save a few)...a PERFECT opportunity for a dolphin? Let's make an ANCHOR instead! I'm not going to say that they are running out of ideas (because they aren't), but I can say that they are not going in the direction that made me love Pokémon in the first place...kommo-o, the starters and wimpods evo are the only 'mons that make me go "I want to use that!" The others are either meh or lost opportunity...I just hope the story is good and these new 'mons are at least competitively viable because design-wise I'm not feeling it...

I can understand that opinion. I personally like a lot of the gen 7 Mon so I'm less bothered...I have more gen 7 Mon I like them gen 5 and they had way more in gen 5!

A few things that disappoint me:
1. Alolan Persian... It's head looks so disproportionate and almost eushed :( I love Persian so it was a let down. I'm okay with a chubby face like Alolan Raticate, but this just looks like they drew a face on a balloon, you know what I mean?
2. Alolan dugtrio...I just don't get it? It's a bit funny, but just not a huge fan. Maybe if the hair had been like red magma and it was ground/fire...but k just don't get it as it is now.
3. Was hoping for more ultra beats honestly!!! I mean, 8 is fine but I was hoping for 10-15.
4. The toucan? I like it, don't get me wrong...it just doesn't seem to match pikipek as much as I thought it would. Like as individual Pokémon nothing is wrong with them. Love them. And I guess they have same base colours...but they still seem like it just sort of happened? I don't know. Not so much as a disappointment as just seems off to me. Like the whole Butterfree-venomoth thing matching the other line better.

LOVE:
1. The Wimpod line
2. The new sea star/urchin/whatcha-ma-call it
3. The Tapu's look like what I'd imagine. Super neat!
4. First forms for legends? Surprisingly awesome!
5. The Ultra Beasts look fab!!! So alien and interesting!!!
6. Shiny of the Rockruff line look great.

goodpeople25

I must be the only one who likes Alolan Persian. It looks goofy and I like it! xD
I'm on the fence, if it translates a bit better ingame than this singular image (any better really) and has a decent reasoning (either in universe or out or both) I think I'll like it well enough.

Same goes for pretty much everything so far in fact, we just have stilled models and no descriptions.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
They're not really supposed to considering that they aren't pokemon. The jellyfish is the only one that does slightly.
I know, but that's what makes it strange if we can capture them

R_N

They're not really supposed to considering that they aren't pokemon. The jellyfish is the only one that does slightly.

yeah, even if in the end you do catch them and they're added to the pokedex (I presume that would be a post game plot point or something), the point is that they're technically not pokemon. They're supposed to be weird otherworldly things. Its why they're called "Ultra Beasts"

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'm really so let down by the Alolan forms, there's so much potential in developing alternate forms through speciation, yet I feel very few really took advantage of that.

At least the UBs are good...

maybe they realized it's easier to just do 2, since in XYZ they couldn't even cover all 3 very well :p

They could barely cover one on its own well honestly, all three Gen 6 cover legendaries were pretty lackluster. Going back to two like Lugia/Ho-oh could be a good thing here since it seems like they're moving away from the "third version" direction, and it means they don't have to shove off key details again just to develop the third.

noakai

They really did show off the vast majority of the new Pokemon this time around, just like last time. I guess that's part of the new way of doing things going forward.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
I'm incredibly disappointed with this region. I haven't logged on here in awhile cause I knew the speculation would be rough and now it appears we have the same amount as xy or so. I like a few designs but most are terrible. Those ultra beasts.... what the hell even are they?

Julia Artemis

So uh, Polygon just low key confirmed what's in Lillie's bag. It's the Solgaleo and Lunalla form or whatever it is.

Yeah I figured that when we saw those "baby" form legendaries. We did think it could of been Zygarde, but I like this much better. Also seems like they are actually giving the legendaries an actual arc which is really cool. Gen 6 totally dropped the ball on that, even though wasn't wild about the designs of gen 4 or gen 5 they actually intergrated them into the storyline really well, so glad to return to that. If I was Ranking best use of legendaries in the games I'd say 5th did it best than 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st and than 6th. Really more I think about it 6th might be my least favorite generation. Though Slurpuff and Aegislash make up for it a little.

Also why are people disappointed? Okay we didn't get as many pokemon as we wanted. Whatever the region of Alola from the very brief taste I got from the demo was excellent. This I feel will be up there with 5th and 2nd as my favorite games. They are doing some really intersting stuff in this game.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I saw the Starter final forms and I gotta to say that I am disappointed in them, mostly the fire and water starters.

I'll adapt, doesn't mean I'll be happy about it, but I will adapt. I am mainly disappointed that Litten's final form isn't a quadruped, biped final fire starters have been done to death, where's the variety?

I am also disappointed that there is no Alolan Ekans and Arbok, feels like a missed opportunity if you ask me.

other than that the games look like they're going to be great.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So uh, Polygon just low key confirmed what's in Lillie's bag. It's the Solgaleo and Lunalla form or whatever it is. RIP polygon tho, Gamexplain said they couldn't say what it was.

Well that's just hilarious. The Zygarde theory got a lot weaker after UB-01's reveal and its appearent connection to Lillie.
Nice to see that we're getting something for the main legends relatively early though, they have been pretty eclipsed by Ultra Beasts and other stuff lately.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I am personally hoping they aren't catchable. They just seem too far removed from pokemon. I mean can you imagine grooming an eldritch abomination like that one with the giant stomach mouth? Yes we've had a lot of imposing, alien-like pokemon before but these things are just on another level (aside from the jellyfish one).

If you're referring to the Ultra Beasts I don't want them to be catchable either. I don't like any of them and they just don't feel like Pokemon to me. Their overall concept is just too out of place in Pokemon IMO. I can understand GameFreak wanting to go in another direction with Sun and Moon and I love most of their changes, but these Ultra Beasts just don't work for me.

After having a look at the leaks again I can safely say that the only things I really dislike are Alolan Persian and the Ultra Beasts. Persian just looks really stupid and I don't like any of the Ultra Beasts at all. My favourites from the datamine are easily the starter evolutions and Salandit's evolution. I'll definitely be trying for a shiny Salandit once I have a 6IV Ditto. The white just looks gorgeous on it. Alolan Dugtrio looks really goofy and I actually really like it, can definitely see myself using it in the post-game.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Occam's Razor states that the simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation. What we have is what we have, it was big mistake to leave it in. Gamefreak made an error somewhere in there when they scrubbed everything else but the images.

That being said, this is the company that once added a Mew after their game went gold before just because they could. They also did something similar with a few design changes between Ruby/Sapphire if I recall correctly Chimeco was a late addition and Shellos and Gastrodon were removed, which is confirmed I believe.

What bothers me is the math here; 78 of those Pokemon from the datamine are brand new, not counting Alolan forms - including the Oricorio (4), WishiWashi (2) and Lycanroc (2) forms. Of those 78, 55 of them were previously seen, along with all but six Alolan forms and five ultra beasts.

Counting Alolan forms and Ultra Beasts, (18 and 8, respectively) you have a total of 104 new Pokemon (maybe, if Ultra Beasts are Pokemon were still not sure) in the game, but 69 of those Pokemon were already shown to us, including forms. Throw in Ash-Pikachu and Ash-Greninja, you bump that up to 106.

For a comparison, Generation 4 had a similar number, 107 new Pokemon, and pre-release, we had 23 Pokemon I believe known before Launch? We also had a similar trend, out of the 107 new Pokemon, 26 were a pre-evo or final evo for older generations, which matches up with the Alolan forms somewhat.

The choice to reveal the majority of the Pokedex, if this is the final count, is an interesting one. Perhaps the focus, in the end, is the side-missions and post-game content in the end over a high number of new Pokemon. Either way, what is interesting about this entire thing is the potential for more to be revealed, we still need names of course. We still need types and stats to go through. Will it happen? Will we see that soon, along with a surprise Pokemon or two?

Well, Occam's Razor states otherwise...but stranger things may happen.

diakyu

Well that's just hilarious. The Zygarde theory got a lot weaker after UB-01's reveal and its appearent connection to Lillie.
Yeah, it's really hard to tell what the heck is going on in this story at all. I guess I should be happy they've done a good job of keeping it vague with only teases but dang it man, the game is still a month away!

Unless this means team up with Lillie and her Solgaleo/Lunalla and your Perfect Zygarde vs the Ultra Beasts. If only lol.

.Aerodactyl.

I actually really like Ultra beasys personally, but they are a change. I would mind them being catchable either... I'd love to play with them in Pokémon refresh because of their terrifying presence. They deserve love too <3

But I also won't cry if we can't catch them. I wouldn't want them to be legendary, I like breeding and raising Pokémon.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Or a living electrical wire... they don't really look very Pokemonish. Not even like the typical object pokemon.

Yea that reminded me of a cable wire. If that's catchable, I'm naming it The Cable Guy. :D :p

iggy the skorupi

I had a thought. Since we have the Pokemon "gods" like arceus and the creation trio, what if the ultra beasts are the opposite, the so called Pokemon "Devils." The popular theory is that they are either from another dimension or are Pokemon/human hybrids, but what if they are either the seven deadly sins or represent the different levels of hell from dante's inferno, with that big mouth monster being the end game boss/Pokemon devil.

Julia Artemis

This might confirm that rather then being separate pre-evos for Lunala and Solgaleo, the first guy is the first stage, and the fetus guy is the second stage that splits into Solgaleo and Lunala, hence its hetero-chromatic eyes.

The one question I have is are they actually forms of the Legendaries or are they pre-evos of the legendaries. Which is an intersting question. Since Type:Null/Silvally seems to hint at being connected to Arceus there is a possibility that they will be separate pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.