• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
I may be holding onto false hope here but is there a chance that there may be more Pokémon we don't know about, the supposed lack of a few types makes me worried

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Deoxys makes you wonder how it's an Alien at this point
Deoxys comes from space, but the Ultra Beasts it seems come from another dimension (or at least travel via portals), so they can both be called aliens but of a different sort.

Grey Wind

I definitely agree that there's merit to the concept; even if they just went "add type X to Pokemon Y" for most of them a la Ninetales or Sandslash, I think a lot of people would've been happy. That's kind of why I'm wondering why we got... what we got.
When we got the initial reveal I assumed it would be mostly Ninetales/Sandlash type stuff. Which would have been fine, really, even if "let's make this Fire type the complete opposite!" might have gotten a little repetitive. It's... bizarre that the concept just sort of fizzled out into a couple of goofy joke 'mon and palette swaps. If they ever do, like, Sinnoh forms or something I hope they do a better job because it's actually a really interesting concept.

I still can't get over Dugtrio. What were they even going for.

Re: the ultra beasts, I think they'll end up as essentially a subset of legendary Pokemon. They'll probably hold off on confirming them as actual Pokemon until the end of the game or something.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I bet there's a super late game twist where it's discovered they really are pokemon, but from another world or something.

"No, Gladion, you are the UB-02 Expansion."

And then Gladion was a Pokémon.

Galvantula1992

Also people, this may help for reference:

#722 Rowlet
#723 Dartrix
#724 Rowlet final evo
#725 Litten
#726 Torracat
#727 Final Evo
#728 Popplio
#729 Brionne
#730 Popplio final evo
#731 Pikipek
#732 Pikipek first evo
#733 Pikipek final evo
#734 Yungoos
#735 Gumshoos
#736 Grubbin
#737 Charjabug
#738 Vikivolt
#739 Crabrawler
#740 Crabrawler evo
#741 Oricorio
#742 Cutiefly
#743 Ribombee
#744 Rockruff
#745 Lycanroc
#746 Wishiwashi
#747 Thorny pokemon
#748 Thorny pokemon evo
#749 Mudbray
#750 Mudsdale
#751 Spider
#752 Spider evo
#753 Fomantis
#754 Lurantis
#755 Morelull
#756 Morelull evo
#757 Salandit
#758 Salandit evo
#759 Stufful
#760 Bewear
#761 Bounsweet
#762 Steenee
#763 Tsareena
#764 Comfey
#765 Oranguru
#766 Passimian
#767 Wimpod
#768 Wimpod evo
#769 Sandygast
#770 Pallosand
#771 Pyukumuku
#772 Type: Null
#773 Silvally
#774 Minior
#775 Komala
#776 Turtonator
#777 Togedemaru
#778 Mimmikyu
#779 Bruxish
#780 Drampa
#781 Anchor Pokemon
#782 Jangmo-o
#783 Hakamo-o
#784 Kommo-o
#785 Tapu Koko
#786 Island guardian
#787 Island guardian
#788 Island guardian
#789 Night Cloud pokemon
#790 Marshadow
#791 Solgaleo
#792 Lunalla
#793 Magearna
#794 Smoke pokemon

Total No. 73

Supersonicbro

So the UBs are catchable? That's disappointing. After playing the mystery dungeon games and seeing that Pokemon can do a "big bad evil" type that you have to fight against, I was hoping that'd be the case here.

So what will the story be? Are they just misunderstood? Are there multiple of them and we just take a few from their dimension? Maybe UB-01, but the other UBs I've seen, I can't see them being used by a child in game against actual pokemon. This is a bit different than people who use legends, before someone mentions it. These look straight up evil and aren't even pokemon.

So the UBs are catchable? That's disappointing. After playing the mystery dungeon games and seeing that Pokemon can do a "big bad evil" type that you have to fight against, I was hoping that'd be the case here.

So what will the story be? Are they just misunderstood? Are there multiple of them and we just take a few from their dimension? Maybe UB-01, but the other UBs I've seen, I can't see them being used by a child in game against actual pokemon. This is a bit different than people who use legends, before someone mentions it. These look straight up evil and aren't even pokemon.

My theory? They're an experiment in cloning pokemon spliced with human DNA. We've had completely artificially created pokemon like Porygon, attempts at cloning mysterious ancient pokemon like Mew into Mewtwo, and possibly Type:Null/Silvally from Arceus. These things are just the next step. So they're not *just* pokemon, they're some sort of Pokemon/human hybrid. But they're still fundamentally catchable creatures that will obey a trainer. The same way god (Arceus) and Satan (Giratina) are.

Supersonicbro

My theory? They're an experiment in cloning pokemon spliced with human DNA. We've had completely artificially created pokemon like Porygon, attempts at cloning mysterious ancient pokemon like Mew into Mewtwo, and possibly Type:Null/Silvally from Arceus. These things are just the next step. So they're not *just* pokemon, they're some sort of Pokemon/human hybrid. But they're still fundamentally catchable creatures that will obey a trainer. The same way god (Arceus) and Satan (Giratina) are.

That makes it kinda worse then ._. we're basically using humans as pokemon...And plus, the DNA thing doesn't explain the dimension hopping stuff.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Also people, this may help for reference:

#722 Rowlet
#723 Dartrix
#724 Rowlet final evo
#725 Litten
#726 Torracat
#727 Final Evo
#728 Popplio
#729 Brionne
#730 Popplio final evo
#731 Pikipek
#732 Pikipek first evo
#733 Pikipek final evo
#734 Yungoos
#735 Gumshoos
#736 Grubbin
#737 Charjabug
#738 Vikivolt
#739 Crabrawler
#740 Crabrawler evo
#741 Oricorio
#742 Cutiefly
#743 Ribombee
#744 Rockruff
#745 Lycanroc
#746 Wishiwashi
#747 Thorny pokemon
#748 Thorny pokemon evo
#749 Mudbray
#750 Mudsdale
#751 Spider
#752 Spider evo
#753 Fomantis
#754 Lurantis
#755 Morelull
#756 Morelull evo
#757 Salandit
#758 Salandit evo
#759 Stufful
#760 Bewear
#761 Bounsweet
#762 Steenee
#763 Tsareena
#764 Comfey
#765 Oranguru
#766 Passimian
#767 Wimpod
#768 Wimpod evo
#769 Sandygast
#770 Pallosand
#771 Pyukumuku
#772 Type: Null
#773 Silvally
#774 Minior
#775 Komala
#776 Turtonator
#777 Togedemaru
#778 Mimmikyu
#779 Bruxish
#780 Drampa
#781 Anchor Pokemon
#782 Jangmo-o
#783 Hakamo-o
#784 Kommo-o
#785 Tapu Koko
#786 Island guardian
#787 Island guardian
#788 Island guardian
#789 Night Cloud pokemon
#790 Marshadow
#791 Solgaleo
#792 Lunalla
#793 Magearna
#794 Smoke pokemon

Total No. 73

Um, I'm pretty sure that the "Smoke Pokemon" is Marshadow.

marshadow-194757.jpg

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
http://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...okemon-sun-and-moon-catch-ultra-beasts-theory

Polygon has official confirmation from Nintendo, Ultra Beasts are catchable.

YAY! This makes me happy. As for typings, I am thinking (going in order of how they appear in the supposed pokedex)

UB-01: Water/Ghost or Water or Water/Psychic or Water/Fairy
UB-02 Absorption: Bug/Steel or Bug/Fighting or Fighting/Steel
UB-02 Beauty: Bug/Electric
UB-03: Electric/Dark
UB-04: Psychic/Rock or Psychic/Steel
UB-05: Psychic/Steel or Electric/Steel or Steel
UB-06: Dark or Dark/Ghost
UB-07: Dark/Rock or Dark/Steel

and people are saying the Ultra Beasts don't look like pokemon? Umm...did anyone see the floating ghost anchor?

noakai

Looking at these leaked sprites...there was literally only like 3 lines of completely new, unrevealed Pokemon this time around. There were some unrevealed Alola forms and the unseen evolutions for Pokemon they previously revealed but I think the only completely new ones were the spiky haired thing revealed on the TCG box, the anchor Pokemon and that spider thing. I didn't realize there was that few totally unrevealed ones.

That makes it kinda worse then ._. we're basically using humans as pokemon...And plus, the DNA thing doesn't explain the dimension hopping stuff.

Well, you could argue that trainers have some sort of inherent power of their own. Not only can skilled trainers bend literal deities and representations of natural forces to their will, they can use stuff like mega stones and Z crystals to unlock unknown power within certain pokemon. If you mixed human DNA with pokemon, you'd have... Perhaps a being that's capable of unlocking it's own potential? I dunno I'm spitballing here, but the Pokemon world has a history of scientists doing weird stuff with DNA. Opening portals seems fairly basic when even a lv1 Abra can Teleport you at will.

[edit] on momentary further reflection, it occurs to me that us real world humans are just very smart animals. The pokemon universe seems to be populated entirely by pokemon rather than regular animals (aside from some stuff that can be dismissed as early installment weirdness), so that idea that humans are fundamentally just a weird and specific kind of pokemon isn't *that* big of a reach, if that's the direction they want to go with...

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Exactly. For starters, the jump seems reallllly big, and second, there's nothing exciting about it. It's literally just a toucan.
Going to have to point out that these 'big jumps' are nothing new for Pokemon. For sake of example: Remoraid (fish) --> Octillery (octopus). Or fish to kraken. Woodpecker to toucan is odd, yes, but not so radically different to say, seagull to pelican.

I love toucans so I'm happy. :B

carmstrong

I wonder if ultra beasts will be a completely new type or something like that. It would be weird if they are just treated as any other pokemon/legendary pokemon. There must be some sort of catch to them.

Julia Artemis

Going to have to point out that these 'big jumps' are nothing new for Pokemon. For sake of example: Remoraid (fish) --> Octillery (octopus). Or fish to kraken. Woodpecker to toucan is odd, yes, but not so radically different to say, seagull to pelican.

I'm just kind of bummed that it's another Normal/Flying pokemon really it's leap is no different from going from a Dove to a Pheasant in Gen 5. But I'm off the Pikipek bandwagon and probably going to use Pom Pom Oricorio instead. But I'm happy people like the Toucan, I'm just not one of them, shame I really wanted to like Pikipek.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?

I feel like that might be seen as different based on the absurdity of the designs and the fact they just barely pass as the animals the represent... here we have a fairly realistic woodpecker evolving into an almost exact replica of a Toucan

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Admittedly there is still a theme being followed for those two lines. Remoraid and Octillery are sea creatures modeled after a gun/projectile theme. Wingull and Pelipper are both water birds. Woodpeckers and toucans don't have anything in common other than both being known for their beaks, but even then the way they are known for using their beaks is very different.

I'm just kind of bummed that it's another Normal/Flying pokemon really it's leap is no different from going from a Dove to a Pheasant in Gen 5. But I'm off the Pikipek bandwagon and probably going to use Pom Pom Oricorio instead. But I'm happy people like the Toucan, I'm just not one of them, shame I really wanted to like Pikipek.
It may well be Normal/Flying but I don't think we actually know the toucan's type yet.

Pilpulp

美的
Gamefreak is so dumb but I love it.

Did they not learn ANYTHING from the ORAS demo??? They have to scrub every single thing off because you know someone in the community is gonna find whatever is left.

Why does Pokemon even need a demo lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.