• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsharks

The lore is that Magearna was brought to life by the device (Soul Heart) in the center of its body storing up the life energy of various pokemon (the movie shows how this was done).

I haven't seen the movie, but I just read a plot synopsis. So, the Soul Heart drives Magearna, and when it is removed Magearna's body is lifeless. The Soul Heart still contains Magearna's consciousness when that happens, but it's in the form of energy. Magearna's consciousness has some say in where that energy goes and how it is used, but ultimately it must go into something designed to use the Soul Heart as a power source. It was also originally empowered by draining the life force from living things.

So it's an energy being created from the life forces of living creatures. It's basically a ghost. The Soul Heart just contains it and allows it to be harnessed to power things, such as the robot body that most people think of as Magearna. I still think it's possible that Marshadow is that ghost, released from the Soul Heart. They have very similar facial proportions (round head, red vertical oval eyes, tiny mouth about level with the bottom of the eyes, widow's-peak-esque markings), their names start with the same first two letters, and Marshadow comes right after Magearna in the Pokedex (assuming the order the dataminers got is Pokedex order).

If the purpose of the Soul Heart might not be to make Magearna more powerful, it might be to contain the power of Marshadow in a way that it can be harnessed for specific purposes. Breaking it free from its confinement might make it more powerful and is probably what it actually wants.

Last edited:

Julia Artemis

Admittedly there is still a theme being followed for those two lines. Remoraid and Octillery are sea creatures modeled after a gun/projectile theme. Wingull and Pelipper are both water birds. Woodpeckers and toucans don't have anything in common other than both being known for their beaks, but even then the way they are known for using their beaks is very different.

It may well be Normal/Flying but I don't think we actually know the toucan's type yet.

That's true. Though I find it very unlikely it will be anything but Normal/Flying looking at it

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Going to have to point out that these 'big jumps' are nothing new for Pokemon. For sake of example: Remoraid (fish) --> Octillery (octopus). Or fish to kraken. Woodpecker to toucan is odd, yes, but not so radically different to say, seagull to pelican.

I love toucans so I'm happy. :B

Fun fact, woodpeckers and toucans belong to the same order of birds. Both families are classified as, get this, Piciformes (hence the Piki in Pikipek). More than that, toucans often live in harmony with woodpeckers, using their long, curved beaks to reach far into tree holes burrowed by woodpeckers.

Anyways, I like Pikican, and it further affirms my decision to put a Pikipek on my team.

Britney123

I feel like if they were going to do the Alolan forms then they probably should have been the only Kanto Pokemon made available.

Bus

Darn I guess maybe it is only 81 then. If we're under the impression that the new ones is 81 and we seen 73, then adding the 8 Ultra Beasts to that gives us 81 exactly.

R_N

Gamefreak is so dumb but I love it.

Did they not learn ANYTHING from the ORAS demo??? They have to scrub every single thing off because you know someone in the community is gonna find whatever is left.

Why does Pokemon even need a demo lmao

the worst part is they did learn

they carefully removed everyone after Hakamo-o
They made sure to alter all the stats of everyone else not in the demo to be pikachu
scrubbed all but 4 new moves and a handful of known moves and replaced them with pound
got rid of all the unneeded abilities (Jangmo-o & Hakamo-o don't even have Soundproof)
culled any non-demo text

which just makes that they messed up this badly even worse

shadowF

wait so what is this i AM HEARING? IT Is confirmed that the ultra beasts are people??? So we will be able to capture people like lillie?

erebus

Could GameFreak be punking us? If you look at all the newly datamined Alolan forms they just look... shoddy, especially when you compare them to the otherwise well designed Alolan forms that were officially released. I know I'm grasping at straws here in the hopes that they didn't just slap a wig on a dugtrio and call it a new form, but you've gotta admit; persian looks like it has a balloon head, the golem line looks like a kid drew them, and dugtrio looks like three literal penises trying to be a Hanson tribute band.

I honestly hope we're being punked here and that the new Alolan forms are deliberate fakes to cause a stir among fans. And that there are more pokemon to come so that all those stand-alone pokes have some actual potential.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
wait so what is this i AM HEARING? IT Is confirmed that the ultra beasts are people??? So we will be able to capture people like lillie?

Um No, we do not have confirmation that UB's are people. That's still just a hypothesis some people have posited.

Supersonicbro

I was fully on the pikipek train, but the 3rd evolution just feels off. Not because of it being a toucan. But because of how plain it looks. There's nothing about it that makes it look like a pokemon, maybe that's what's throwing a lot of people off. It's first 2 stages are birds, but you can tell they're pokemon birds. You could put the 3rd stage on a cereal box and nobody would notice.

EDIT:

Speaking of noticing things....where are the pokemon's tails?? (points at Passimian and popplios 3rd stage in my signature)

Sabre_King

A lot of news to discuss about the data mining. Personally I love every pokemon found in Alola, sure its not as many as we thought but we still got more than Kalos and I love the variety of pokemon to choose from. My only concern was the lack of ice type pokemon aside from the alolan forms. I am wondering after seeing the zip file for the data mine that certain sprites still cannot be seen, mainly in the file surrounding the alola pokemon, thus I wonder if these blank spaces can still indicate a couple more pokemon upon release, by my count the extra spaced could provide 5-7 more pokemon that the data mining could not pick up. Again not trying to aise any hope because I will be happy either way, but still I cannot wait for S/M to come out :)

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I was fully on the pikipek train, but the 3rd evolution just feels off. Not because of it being a toucan. But because of how plain it looks. There's nothing about it that makes it look like a pokemon, maybe that's what's throwing a lot of people off. It's first 2 stages are birds, but you can tell they're pokemon birds. You could put the 3rd stage on a cereal box and nobody would notice.
Toucan Sam followed his nose into the Pokemon Franchise

R_N

Um No, we do not have confirmation that UB's are people. That's still just a hypothesis some people have posited.

Seems more likely that it's just the ultra beasts imitating the people for some reason
alternate universe shenanigans?
taking on a more recognizable form that this universe can handle??

I bet there's a plot point where the characters believe Lillie is UB01 and then we have a twist where it turns out they're unrelated and UB01 took on a similar form for [reasons]

Fun fact, woodpeckers and toucans belong to the same order of birds. Both families are classified as, get this, Piciformes (hence the Piki in Pikipek). More than that, toucans often live in harmony with woodpeckers, using their long, curved beaks to reach far into tree holes burrowed by woodpeckers.

Anyways, I like Pikican, and it further affirms my decision to put a Pikipek on my team.

Nice, never too old to learn some new stuff. Thanks mate! And thus we can speculate that the toucan can be named Pikitouk, Pikikan or something in between.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

EDIT:

Speaking of noticing things....where are the pokemon's tails?? (points at Passimian and popplios 3rd stage in my signature)

It's just the angle. Their tails are there, don't worry.

And poor Pikican. It's cute, but it also has a design that is getting bashed for being too simple, while others are getting bashed for being too complex. Poor GF, people will be pissed off at them no matter what...

Seems more likely that it's just the ultra beasts imitating the people for some reason
alternate universe shenanigans?
taking on a more recognizable form that this universe can handle??

I bet there's a plot point where the characters believe Lillie is UB01 and then we have a twist where it turns out they're unrelated and UB01 took on a similar form for [reasons]

Exactly. I mean, they're all based on invertebrates, making them pliable, flexible creatures that could easily be adept at altering their appearances, and it makes sense that they might mimic what they see upon entering our world.

Nice, never too old to learn some new stuff. Thanks mate! And thus we can speculate that the toucan can be named Pikitouk, Pikikan or something in between.

You're very welcome! And I'm thinking it will be Pikican/Pikikan, personally.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I am wondering after seeing the zip file for the data mine that certain sprites still cannot be seen, mainly in the file surrounding the alola pokemon, thus I wonder if these blank spaces can still indicate a couple more pokemon upon release, by my count the extra spaced could provide 5-7 more pokemon that the data mining could not pick up.

Likely for Totem Pokemon.

They come after Alolan Raticate, Gumshoos, Vikavolt, Lurantis, SalanditEvo, Mimikyu, and Kommo-o. We already know that Alolan Raticate, Gumshoos, and Lurantis are Totem Pokemon.

The only black spaces that seem weird are the four in between 10% and 100% Zygarde. I'm not sure what those are for.

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Holy s***!

At very least Gamefreak actually tried this time and we didn't get another ORAS where literally the whole game was left there lol.

What even is this Dugtrio? lol

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Just got an idea: What if that thing in Lillie's bag is Solgaleo's/Lunala's pre-evo?

Status
Not open for further replies.