• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It's a good thing i like 95% of the pokemon that were officially revealed. The only other one I liked was Wimpods evolution but I'm not dealing with that wimp out nonsense.
Do you really that after involving into that that Wimpod's evo is still gonna have Wimp Out?

Do you really that after involving into that that Wimpod's evo is still gonna have Wimp Out?
I could be wrong, but I suspect they mean dealing with that Ability long enough for it to evolve (like putting up with Magikarp until Lv. 20.) Of course, if we get the Gen VI EXP Share back, it's much less of an issue...

As awesome as Wimpod's evolution is, I feel like it would have been better if it was a 3-stage evolution line. I know we've had drastic changes before like Magikarp and Feebas, but in those cases the final form looked absolutely nothing like the basic one; in this case the final form retains enough features from the original to make it clear that they are related.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I could be wrong, but I suspect they mean dealing with that Ability long enough for it to evolve (like putting up with Magikarp until Lv. 20.) Of course, if we get the Gen VI EXP Share back, it's much less of an issue...
Wimp Out is actually a not a terrible ability for a Pokemon like that, as it not only allows it to grind on weaker Pokemon that won't be able to get it to half HP, but if it does fall below half HP for some reason you can simply throw in something else to finish the job and still get experience on Wimpod.

Although I very much hope its evolution loses it, otherwise being forced out below half HP will be absolutely crippling to the point where it would likely end up as the next Archeops or Slaking.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
Faraway Place? Orre confirmed.
Faraway Place has been around since at least Gen 4. It's used when the location is from the next game(s) in the generation, since that won't exist in the previous game. If you catch a Pokemon in HeartGold or SoulSilver and then trade it to Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, it will say Faraway Place in the summary. If I remember right, the same thing happens if you trade a Pokemon from Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to X or Y.

Edit: Note that I have no idea if Gen 3 uses it.

Last edited:

Anthea

I'll be honest, Alolan Persian is starting to grow on me a little bit. I don't think I'll ever love it or prefer it over regular Persian, but thinking about it, the only real issue I have with it is the size of its head. If its head was just a little smaller, I would be perfectly fine with it. Yeah, it would still be a goofy, more cartoony looking cat rather than the sleek black panther that people wanted, but is there really anything wrong with that? I've seen some non-joke fanart of it where its head is more proportional to its body, and it looks MUCH better that way.

Additionally, I did some research, and some speculate that Alolan Persian is supposed to be based on a more realistic Persian cat, which has a larger, rounder head and flatter face. And maybe it's just me, but Alolan Persian's tail certainly looks shorter and fluffier than regular Persian's. And it all fits with Alolan Meowth's lore about it living a life of pampering and luxury among the royal family and the possible implications of selective breeding.

Yeah, if that is what GF was going for, they could have done the whole Persian cat thing a lot better. It would look better if its head was more proportional to its body or if it was actually fluffier like a real Persian cat. But I don't think it's the worst thing in the world now that I can (sort of) see where GF was going for with it.
Real Persian?
You do realise Persians come in a shorthair form too? They are rare but can be born in the litter of a "real Persian"

And yes, shorthair Persians are basically skinny cats with a fat round head. Also adorned and sort after just like the long hair variety

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Real Persian?
You do realise Persians come in a shorthair form too? They are rare but can be born in the litter of a "real Persian"

And yes, shorthair Persians are basically skinny cats with a fat round head. Also adorned and sort after just like the long hair variety
I don't know if it's what you're talking about, but the Exotic Shorthair came up when I was reading about all of this. And they look somewhat similar to shorthair Persians.

Metafogos

I'm really waiting for the next reveal, to GF send to us a pokemon not datamined, only to say to everyone "we dont put everything in the demo, wait for news!!!"

Anthea

I can't believe peasants are still trying to refute godpix
Also a shame how this thread became a whole lot of "disappointment" posts. I don't like masculine Pokemon but I don't go out of my way to completely shun it and call it irregular because it's clear those designs are loved by some.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I don't know if it's what you're talking about, but the Exotic Shorthair came up when I was reading about all of this. And they look somewhat similar to shorthair Persians.

Actually, it's a Russian Blue. They were very rare initially (which explains why a Royal Family would take an interest in them), so they had to be cross-bred with Siamese cats (ala Persian's inspiration) in order to bolster their numbers, which fits with how Meowth's Alola Form was bred by the Royal Family. Additionally, they aren't only blue, but can often have round ole' heads, like so:

http://nextranks.com/data_images/cats/russian-blue/russian-blue-08.jpg

Mbah Greget

i got this from bulbaforum

ht-----tps://twitter.c0m/Demonslayerx8/status/788458883962408960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

(delete - and change 0 to o to view link, i can't post link because i'm new here searching for spoilers hehe)

somehow i hoping more new pokemon from blank sprites . possible 3rd evo or just gender based form?

wondering what are the blank spaces after Gumshoos, Salandit2, Lurantis ...

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

ht-----tps://twitter.c0m/Demonslayerx8/status/788458883962408960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

(delete - and change 0 to o to view link, i can't post link because i'm new here searching for spoilers hehe)

somehow i hoping more new pokemon from blank sprites . possible 3rd evo or just gender based form?

They're totem pokemon.

future.newyorker

Those are said to be for the Totem Pokémon, based on their location in the dex, but I don't know why Totem Pokemon would have separate Totem sprites.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Those are said to be for the Totem Pokémon, based on their location in the dex, but I don't know why Totem Pokemon would have separate Totem sprites.
I'm guessing because Totems are larger than other Pokémon in their species.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Those are models, not sprites. They're just one particular frame of a model. Being as Totem Pokemon are much larger than normal ones it's understandable that they'd have separate models.

That being said I thought those models were pulled from Team Preview. Why would Totem Pokemon need to be in Team Preview?

Supersonicbro

Because they're bigger. I would be hopeful thinking they're pokemon we haven't seen yet, but it adds up too well. They're next to pokemon that have mostly been revealed to be totem pokemon.

Those are models, not sprites. They're just one particular frame of a model. Being as Totem Pokemon are much larger than normal ones it's understandable that they'd have separate models.

That being said I thought those models were pulled from Team Preview. Why would Totem Pokemon need to be in Team Preview?

Maybe that's why there aren't any models for them?

future.newyorker

Because they're bigger. I would be hopeful thinking they're pokemon we haven't seen yet, but it adds up too well. They're next to pokemon that have mostly been revealed to be totem pokemon.

If I remember correctly, there isn't one next to Wishiwashi, and it's supposedly a Totem Pokémon based on the legendary trailer.

Supersonicbro

If I remember correctly, there isn't one next to Wishiwashi, and it's supposedly a Totem Pokémon based on the legendary trailer.

Maybe because it's already big they didn't need to make it bigger?

But you can't deny it being next to Lurantis, Gumshoos, and the jangmo-o line (which makes sense because they wouldn't want to put it in the middle of the evolution line), is just some coincidence.

Like I said, I would be all for them hiding pokemon in the game. But this is just like xy and oras. We thought there would be more, and there wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.