• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So the final total of new Pokemon introduced in Generation 7 is 73, bringing the final total to 794, just like Generation 6. Right? Not even reaching 800? Not even reaching 795? Really? Second consecutive generation with the least amount of new Pokemon? I won't be surprised if Generation 8 would only introduce about 50-60 new Pokemon, making Gen 8 the generation with the least amount of new Pokemon for the THIRD consecutive generation, even if there will ever be an 8th generation.

My god is Generation 7 is worse than Generation 6, I won't be surprised if Generation 8 will be worse than Generation 7. 69 new Pokemon in Generation 6, 73 new Pokemon in Generation 7, and 57 new Pokemon in Generation 8, my god this nightmare is coming true.
You're misreading, m8. According to datamines the new Pokédex amount is 802.

Aerodactyl in gen VI. Wouldn't be the first time.
... What about it?

WolfCypher

I actually like it when GF occasionally breaks tradition. I know its my own unpopular opinion, but I don't want Eevee evolutions, fossil Pokémon, Legendary trios akin to your Art/Zap/Mol, Ent/Rai/Sui every generation. It gets predictable. I wouldn't mind a shake up to the starters to be frank.

mewmew202

You could run into wild Aerodactyl in generation 6? How and where?
Scratch that I was misremembering, used my revived Aerodactyl and was surprised to see an Absol around second gym, been a few years.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey guys, please stop talking about generation 8 here. BESIDES the fact that it isn't what this thread is about: a) it doesn't exist, b) you're making up numbers, and c) gen 7 isn't even out yet, can you guys wait before proclaiming Pokemon is going downhill?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I actually like it when GF occasionally breaks tradition. I know its my own unpopular opinion, but I don't want Eevee evolutions, fossil Pokémon, Legendary trios akin to your Art/Zap/Mol, Ent/Rai/Sui every generation. It gets predictable. I wouldn't mind a shake up to the starters to be frank.
Its not that I think there should be fossil pokemon specifically, there are just so many prehistoric creatures pokemon has yet to even touch on and fossil pokemon guarantee further exploration of that as prehistoric animal designs tend to be a bit random in non fossil pokemon.

At least in this gen we got a pretty good theropod-like design in Kommo-o.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
A lot of people play Pokemon competitively though, and a lot of the "really bad" designs can actually be pretty good with types and such. Klefki is apparently a really strong priority status setter.

And some of the badass looking Pokemon can suck. Hydreigon really isn't THAT amazing.

When it comes to usability appearance means almost nothing and it's all down to type, ability, stats, and movesets.

You guys may value the competitive side, but I'll be real once again.

Most of the 21 million people that are going to buy Sun and Moon won't be itching to get a spot in the next VGC. The competitive scene may be strong, but it'll never dominate the consumer population. But what does this have to do with appearance? I'll put it this way: I'm a staller, a die hard staller. I enjoy developing various strategies involving utilizing durability and time to maintain control of the battlefield. Logic says Sigilyph and Garbodor would make great additions to my team. I say they're hideous and I don't care if their stats were as good as Spiritomb's; I'm not gonna be staring at them for an entire battle (and my battles are long).

For those who place more value on enjoying a battle than winning one, appearance matters. Terribly looking pokemon are not enjoyable, and thus I don't use them. I don't wanna win that badly. lol

roserade the warrior

I actually prefer fossils non-fossil. I mean, they are cool and all, but since they always stick with that rock typing (which weakens most of them), most of them are not very astounding or capable. Just look at Aurorus for example, its typing was announced and everyone thought it was going to be awful (even though most said it was one of the best fossils designed and most said they would have liked to use it), and even while having 2 very good abilities (refrigerate: boosted hyper voice; and snow warning: blizzard that never fails) it didnt find much use. Another very annoying thing they keep doing with fossils is only giving them 1 ability and 1 hidden ability, the only exceptions being kabuto-line, omanyte-line, aerodactyl (what a surprise with those 3, huh?), tirtouga-line, and archen-line (which got only 1 ability, defeatist, and no hidden ability).

My point is, unless they re-work how they make the fossils, I will not expect much of them (I will like them, most of the time at least, but will not expect to see them much in battle...).

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
You guys may value the competitive side, but I'll be real once again.

Most of the 21 million people that are going to buy Sun and Moon won't be itching to get a spot in the next VGC. The competitive scene may be strong, but it'll never dominate the consumer population. But what does this have to do with appearance? I'll put it this way: I'm a staller, a die hard staller. I enjoy developing various strategies involving utilizing durability and time to maintain control of the battlefield. Logic says Sigilyph and Garbodor would make great additions to my team. I say they're hideous and I don't care if their stats were as good as Spiritomb's; I'm not gonna be staring at them for an entire battle (and my battles are long).

For those who place more value on enjoying a battle than winning one, appearance matters. Terribly looking pokemon are not enjoyable, and thus I don't use them. I don't wanna win that badly. lol

And that's fine for you. You don't like a pokemon's appearance, don't use it. Don't insinuate, however, that 21 million people share your opinions. That's silly. (It may not have been your intention, but that's how that paragraph comes across, at least to me) Sure, not everyone cares about competitive play, but you dont' have to care about competitive play to judge a pokemon on more than just appearance. Nor does everyone who judges pokemon based soley on appearance share the same opinion on those appearances.

As the original start of this particular conversation was a comment about the next reveal being meaningless, since we had the dex leak, I say again, it may be meaningless to you if all you cared about for this entire game was seeing the pokemons' appearances. Other folks have much more about these games that they are still waiting to see revealed.

TyLogic

I actually prefer fossils non-fossil. I mean, they are cool and all, but since they always stick with that rock typing (which weakens most of them), most of them are not very astounding or capable. Just look at Aurorus for example, its typing was announced and everyone thought it was going to be awful (even though most said it was one of the best fossils designed and most said they would have liked to use it), and even while having 2 very good abilities (refrigerate: boosted hyper voice; and snow warning: blizzard that never fails) it didnt find much use. Another very annoying thing they keep doing with fossils is only giving them 1 ability and 1 hidden ability, the only exceptions being kabuto-line, omanyte-line, aerodactyl (what a surprise with those 3, huh?), tirtouga-line, and archen-line (which got only 1 ability, defeatist, and no hidden ability).

My point is, unless they re-work how they make the fossils, I will not expect much of them (I will like them, most of the time at least, but will not expect to see them much in battle...).

If I'm correct, they said that Mega Aerodactyl is suppoosed to look closer to how it was before it was fossilized. To me, that means that the revived fossilized Pokemon that we see now, aren't really in their original form. If they are going to do something interesting with fossils, revealing their true forms would be nice. Maybe their types would be different. I find it hard to believe that Aerodactyl was a Rock-type before it was fossilized, but hopefully others would change type. Maybe Omanyte was Water-Dark or Water-Steel before it was fossilized.

Sulfurian

If I'm correct, they said that Mega Aerodactyl is suppoosed to look closer to how it was before it was fossilized. To me, that means that the revived fossilized Pokemon that we see now, aren't really in their original form. If they are going to do something interesting with fossils, revealing their true forms would be nice. Maybe their types would be different. I find it hard to believe that Aerodactyl was a Rock-type before it was fossilized, but hopefully others would change type. Maybe Omanyte was Water-Dark or Water-Steel before it was fossilized.

If the devs even want to do more megas in the future. Apparently there was a recent interview where someone said they don't want to pursue more Megas in the current time. That doesn't mean new Megas aren't possible in the future, but I'm a lil' salty.

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer
While not everyone will get into competitive if we are being real the competitive can be a ton more popular. Chess is a strategy game that has people pitting their strategy against each other. Pokémon's competitive community is already larger than chess's as far as I can tell and if it is made more accessible it can grow a ton more.

TyLogic

If the devs even want to do more megas in the future. Apparently there was a recent interview where someone said they don't want to pursue more Megas in the current time. That doesn't mean new Megas aren't possible in the future, but I'm a lil' salty.

I kind of hope that their true forms wouldn't be Mega Evolutions anyway. I'm still kind of confused as to why Aerodactyl will revert back to it's original form (almost) only as a Mega Evolution. Primal Reversion would be slightly more fitting...If it was permanent.

I thought that Z-Forms would be the new way of Mega Evolution, however, through lack of evidence and data mining, it's been confirmed to not exist. At least Mega Evolution is still present. (Though I really don't care for the mechanic)

roserade the warrior

Yes, thats a very plausible theory regarding fossils: that the reviving was not completely successful. Still dont like that concept, seems almost like a simple way to say: when we lack ideas for pokemon we are going to make the "true forms" of the fossils. Making more useless forms (I mean, they are more useful than the original form most of the time, but they make the original form useless or redundant), thats what they do every other gen, they give new forms to pokemons, platinum: giratina, rotom and shaymin; B2W2: kyurem and keldeo, XY: mega-evolutions, ORAS: more mega-evolutions + primal regression, SunMoon: Alolan forms (I like the concept and some alolan forms, but it feels so cheap since some of them are the same mon with just a few different details).

Last edited:

BCVM22

Pokémon's competitive community is already larger than chess's as far as I can tell.

Chess was invented in the 6th century and is played competitively worldwide in clubs, teams and competition at all levels.

Pokémon is a video game that debuted in 1996. Its competitive community is not "already larger than chess's."

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
And that's fine for you. You don't like a pokemon's appearance, don't use it. Don't insinuate, however, that 21 million people share your opinions. That's silly. (It may not have been your intention, but that's how that paragraph comes across, at least to me) Sure, not everyone cares about competitive play, but you dont' have to care about competitive play to judge a pokemon on more than just appearance. Nor does everyone who judges pokemon based soley on appearance share the same opinion on those appearances.

As the original start of this particular conversation was a comment about the next reveal being meaningless, since we had the dex leak, I say again, it may be meaningless to you if all you cared about for this entire game was seeing the pokemons' appearances. Other folks have much more about these games that they are still waiting to see revealed.

Obviously I'm not saying appearance is all that matters.

I'm saying it is a lie to say it doesn't.

TyLogic

Yes, thats a very plausible theory regarding fossils: that the reviving was not completely successful. Still dont like that concept, seems almost like a simple way to say: when we lack ideas for pokemon we are going to make the "true forms" of the fossils. Making more useless forms (I mean, they are more useful than the original form most of the time, but they make the original form useless or redundant), thats what they do every other gen, they give new forms to pokemons, platinum: giratina, rotom and shaymin; B2W2: kyurem and keldeo, XY: mega-evolutions, ORAS: more mega-evolutions + primal regression, SunMoon: Alolan forms (I like the concept and some alolan forms, but it feels so cheap since some of them are the same mon with just a few different details).

I see where you're coming from.

I thought that Mega Evolution was their way of fixing Pokemon. Like, maybe they were thinking "Mega Venusaur is what we should've made Venusaur look like in the first place". I also believe that forms take up spots for new pokemon. I mean, Mega Evolutions and Alola forms were featured in CoroCoro. There's a possibility that GF does view them as new Pokemon. However, if they did then the total number of Pokemon in generation 6 wouldn't have been 721.

Sabre_King

I like breaking the tradition tbh it does change the perspective of the game. I mean yeah it may partially suck when it changes but as long as the final product is amazing then breaking the tradition won't matter. I love that the guardians did break the trio legendaries, after not even having that in X/Y (referring to the birds or dog trios). I feel like eeveeloutions could have been completed or nearly completed by now (eevee is such a unique pokemon I am surprised they haven't finished the evolutions yet). I am not sure about the starters though I mean there is suppose to be that supposed link between rockruff and the starters but i am not sure what this shared secret is so at least we get to look forward to that within the game.

TyLogic

I like breaking the tradition tbh it does change the perspective of the game. I mean yeah it may partially suck when it changes but as long as the final product is amazing then breaking the tradition won't matter. I love that the guardians did break the trio legendaries, after not even having that in X/Y (referring to the birds or dog trios). I feel like eeveeloutions could have been completed or nearly completed by now (eevee is such a unique pokemon I am surprised they haven't finished the evolutions yet). I am not sure about the starters though I mean there is suppose to be that supposed link between rockruff and the starters but i am not sure what this shared secret is so at least we get to look forward to that within the game.

It was a mistranslation. They haven't been confirmed to share a secret.

R_N

I see where you're coming from.

I thought that Mega Evolution was their way of fixing Pokemon. Like, maybe they were thinking "Mega Venusaur is what we should've made Venusaur look like in the first place". I also believe that forms take up spots for new pokemon. I mean, Mega Evolutions and Alola forms were featured in CoroCoro. There's a possibility that GF does view them as new Pokemon. However, if they did then the total number of Pokemon in generation 6 wouldn't have been 721.

gamefreak does consider them new pokemon but not new pokemon.

Any time they've showed off new pokemon together, megas & alolans are usually lumped in where applicable. In gen 4 especially, Shaymin & Rotom's forms used similar "new pokemon" language in their lead up iirc.

The most notable image I remember is during the gen 6 prerelease, where they were going over all the pokemon revealed up to Honedge and Mega Mewtwo was there (marked as ??????). Mega Mewtwo in general was, before hte mega revealed treated as "a mysterious pokemon with a connection to mewtwo" which was utterly hialrious because we literally saw mewtwo transform into it.

It's bizarre thing in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.