• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aerodactyl.

????????

What about these games are weird to anyone? Very standard Pokemon game stuff. The battle tree is only disappointing in that GF already revealed the two characters that generate the most hype when they first revealed it.

And they dropped triple and rotation battles from it. So unless we also get a Maison of sorts, there less to do in the post game facility then ever before. I will definitely enjoy these games, dont get me wrong, but I am a bit disappointed in the post game.

diakyu

And they dropped triple and rotation battles from it. So unless we also get a Maison of sorts, there less to do in the post game facility then ever before. I will definitely enjoy these games, dont get me wrong, but I am a bit disappointed in the post game.
Ah yes, Rotation and triple battles. Uh, hmmm. What a loss I guess?

GDK

Well there's like all other UB not revealed officially yet in the post game.
Most likely tapus too.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So none of the Oricorio's learn moves of their typing apart from flying? What? That makes zero sense. I'm bummed
The point of Revelation Dance seems to be to give them a STAB move for their non-Flying typing. It's nice enough at 90 power, but with no special effects one will only be using it because they learn no better alternatives.

<><><>

The sting of Emergency Exit is admittedly lessened when one considers all the priority moves Golisopod gets, including the strongest priority move ever (ignoring ones granted by Gale Wings), even if said move only works on the first turn of it switching in. Emergency Exit may well actually work in its favor with a move like that, as it lets you switch in again later to get another high-powered priority move off.

diakyu

Well there's like all other UB not revealed officially yet in the post game.
Most likely tapus too.
Not to mention the elite 4 rematch battles and Hau and Gladion's rematches.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'll be looking through the Learnsets to see what's new:

Play Rough, Sleep Powder, Megahorn, Earth Power has no new old species learning it.

Moonblast is now learnt by Hoothoot, Noctowl.

Hurricane is now learnt by Gyarados, Taillow, Swellow.

Crunch is now learnt by Bidoof, Bibarel.

Nasty Plot is now learnt by Patrat, Watchog.

Night Daze, Aromatic Mist are no longer signature moves.

Edit: All Wormadam Formes now get Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz and Sucker Punch.

Edit 2: Surskit, Masquerain, Mothim get Lunge.

Bellossom gets Quiver Dance.

Edit 3: Dunsparce gets Dragon Rush and Air Slash. Taillow and Swellow get Reversal.

Edit 4: Simis get Starter Tutors. Pledges are exclusive to their evolutions, while H-Beam variants are now obtained through Tutor. This is likely an error on Kaphotics' part, as Simis don't get Pledges, so it is likely supposed to be the reverse(ie. Monkeys now get Pledges).

Edit 5: Castform gets Cosmic Power.

Edit 6: Sudowoodo gets Head Smash, but not Bonsly.

Edit 7: Pichu-line now gets Electric Terrain.

Edit 8: Zapdos gets Magnetic Flux, Moltres gets Burn Up. Growlithe-line and Cyndaquil-line get Burn Up.

Edit 9: Toxic Thread is exclusive to Spinarak-line.

Edit 10: Sandile-line, Mankey-line, Pancham-line get Power Trip. Golduck gets Me First. Mankey, Golett, Cubone-lines get Stomping Tantrum.

Edit 11: Mewtwo and Lucario get Laser Focus. Musharna and Beheeyem get Psychic Terrain. Luvdisc gets Heart Stamp. Snorlax and Golurk get High Horsepower. Corsola and Tirtouga-lines get Liquidation.

Edit 12: Carvanha-line and Lillipup-line get Psychic Fangs.

Edit 13: Doduo-line gets Swords Dance and Jump Kick. There are no new old species that get Brave Bird.

Edit 14: Bonsly-line gets Tearful Look. Zip Zap is exclusive to Togedemaru. Shadow Bone is exclusive to Alolan Marowak. Heatmor and Litleo-line get Flare Blitz. Beak Blast is exclusive to Toucannon. Instruct is exclusive to Oranguru. Trop Kick is exclusive to Tsareena. Purify is exclusive to Pyukumuku. Nidorino, Nidoking, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Rapidash, Seel, Dewgong, Cloyster, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Rhyperior, Goldeen, Seaking, Tauros, Lapras, Mew, Ariados, Togetic, Togekiss, Aggron, Samurott, Excadrill, Scolipede, Escavalier, Bouffalant, Thundurus, get Smart Strike through TM.

Edit 15: Emolga and Alolan Raichu get Speed Swap. Fire Lash is exclusive to Heatmor. Anchor Shot is exclusive to Dhelmise. Klinklang gets Gear Up. Clefairy, Clefable, Spinda, Starmie get Spotlight. Solar Blade is exclusive to Lurantis. Machamp gets Strength through Level-Up, becoming the only species to get it. Floral Healing is exclusive to Comfey. Baneful Bunker is exclusive to Toxapex. Shore Up is exclusive to Sandygast-line. First Impression is exclusive to Golisopod.

Edit 16: Way too many species get Brutal Swing. Jynx, Articuno, Smoochum, Mew, Delibird, Cryogonal, Regice, Glaceon, Froslass, Alolan Sandshrew-line and Alolan Vulpix-line get Aurora Veil. Eeveelutions and Lopunny get Baby-Doll Eyes in their Level-Up movesets. Sneasel-Weavile and Incineroar get Throat Chop.

Edit 17: Leech Life is NOT learned by old species besides the current ones. Alolan Sandshrew gets it, however.

Yanma-line retains it through Egg Move, so does Bellsprout-line. Yanma also gets it through TM, while Bellsprout gets it exclusively from Egg Move.

Edit 18: Rock Wrecker, Poison Tail, Poison Fang, Poison Gas are not learned by anyone new. Tail Slap's only new learner is Alolan Vulpix-line besides the current learners. Furret gets Coil. Ariados gets Swords Dance. Swalot gets Venom Drench at start. Wailord gets Noble Roar. and Soak at start. Camerupt no longer gets Rock Slide at Level 33, instead it gets it at start. Grumpig gets Belch. Vibrava now gets Dragon Breath at start. Flygon gets Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw at start alongside Dragon Breath.

Edit 19: Altaria gets Dragon Breath at start, not level up. Lunatone gets Power Gem and Psyshock at start, Solrock gets Flare Blitz. Whiscash gets Thrash and Belch. Crawdaunt no longer gets Swift at evolution, but at start. Claydol no longer gets Hyper Beam at Level Up, but at start. Anorith-line's movepool have been fixed. Milotic now gets Water Pulse at start, not through Level-Up. Dusclops now gets Shadow Punch at start, not through Level-Up. Glalie no longer gets Freeze-Dry through Level-Up, but gets it at start. Sealeo no longer gets Swagger through level-up, neither does Walrein for Ice Fang. They are both at start. Shelgon and Salamence now get their exclusive Level-Up moves, Protect, Fly, Dragon Tail, Elemental Fangs at start. Metagross gets Hammer Arm similarly at start, whereas Metang no longer gets Confusion through Level-Up.

It seems this part continues on to other species.

Edit 20: Ambipom gets Dual Chop. Probopass gets Tri Attack. Throh gets Mat Block. Alomomola gets Play Nice. Pangoro gets Bullet Punch.

Edit 21:
WAIT MANTINE LEARNS ROOST NOW!!! OMFG!!!

I've wanted this so for long. increase in hp and roost. I am so happy.

Last edited:

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
The point of Revelation Dance seems to be to give them a STAB move for their non-Flying typing. It's nice enough at 90 power, but with no special effects one will only be using it because they learn no better alternatives.

<><><>

The sting of Emergency Exit is admittedly lessened when one considers all the priority moves Golisopod gets, including the strongest priority move ever (ignoring ones granted by Gale Wings), even if said move only works on the first turn of it switching in. Emergency Exit may well actually work in its favor with a move like that, as it lets you switch in again later to get another high-powered priority move off.

Not to mention 75/140/90 defenses, and it does get stab leech life.

What priority move is the strongest?

^ here are teh move set/stat changes of older mons: https://i.redd.it/ogtijmohgfwx.jpg

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
????????

What about these games are weird to anyone? Very standard Pokemon game stuff. The battle tree is only disappointing in that GF already revealed the two characters that generate the most hype when they first revealed it.
I find the games feel weird too, but not in a bad way necessarily. The heavy emphasis on bulk over speed for instance, and the many abilities and moves that seem made to change how people typically play the game. It will take some getting used to.

Not to mention 75/140/90 defenses, and it does get stab leech life.

What priority move is the strongest?
If I'm reading ti right then First Impression.

First Impression
Although this move has great power, it only works\nthe first turn the user is in battle.
Bug
Physical
90 Power
100% Accuracy
10 PP
2 Priority
Adjacent Pokémon
Effect 382
Flags 0x49
Savage Spin-Out (175 Power)

kemal07

Guys I know this has been asked plenty of times but where can I find level up moves etc on the new Pokemon or if possible all alola Dex pokes

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Guys I know this has been asked plenty of times but where can I find level up moves etc on the new Pokemon or if possible all alola Dex pokes

Datamine videos. type in 'sun moon stats' you should get them

^oh nice! By the way, where're you getting the pp? Can't seem to find those on the videos

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I searched the thread for it, but don't see one yet. Have we seen a list of all the new attacks with their effects? I see that Ariados learns a new move called Toxic Thread and I'm super curious.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'll be looking through the Learnsets to see what's new:

Play Rough, Sleep Powder, Megahorn, Earth Power has no new old species learning it.

Moonblast is now learnt by Hoothoot, Noctowl.

Hurricane is now learnt by Gyarados, Taillow, Swellow.

Crunch is now learnt by Bidoof, Bibarel.

Nasty Plot is now learnt by Patrat, Watchog.

Night Daze, Aromatic Mist are no longer signature moves.

Edit: All Wormadam Formes now get Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz and Sucker Punch.

Edit 2: Surskit, Masquerain, Mothim get Lunge.

Bellossom gets Quiver Dance.

Edit 3: Dunsparce gets Dragon Rush and Air Slash. Taillow and Swellow get Reversal.

Edit 4: Simis get Starter Tutors. Pledges are exclusive to their evolutions, while H-Beam variants are now obtained through Tutor. This is likely an error on Kaphotics' part, as Simis don't get Pledges, so it is likely supposed to be the reverse(ie. Monkeys now get Pledges).

Edit 5: Castform gets Cosmic Power.

Edit 6: Sudowoodo gets Head Smash, but not Bonsly.

Edit 7: Pichu-line now gets Electric Terrain.
Wait, what? I thought the Pikachu line is only getting Electric Terrain through egg move... Unless that's what you meant.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
^ here are teh move set/stat changes of older mons: https://i.redd.it/ogtijmohgfwx.jpg
That link only seems to show ability and stat changes...

I searched the thread for it, but don't see one yet. Have we seen a list of all the new attacks with their effects? I see that Ariados learns a new move called Toxic Thread and I'm super curious.
You can fidn the new attacks and their descriptions here, just scroll down: https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

lunis the ogre

Ogre of the gourd
I'm excited to see how the competitive meta plays out. They have to come up with some new rules or something. Otherwise these poor poor pokemon are going to get left in the dust and we are going to have a gen 6 meta all over again. Maybe once the main site is updated with the new info and we can see all the info for each pokemon with the respective pokemon it will be easier to form strategies, but right now I don't see myself using any one of the new mons for battling. Which sucks because I was really looking forward to new strategies, battles, and teams.
Either way, it is going to be rough finding decent trade bait to get competitive legendaries with there being so many. I hate soft resetting for event pokemon so I know I won't even try on story line pokemon.

DatsRight

I'm a bit disappointed the old Pokemon haven't improved much, meaning their Alolan forms sometimes seem superior. Raichu STILL doesn't learn any new moves, and Persian actually loses Swift from levelling up and can only relearn it (it and Meowth are arguably inferior to their Alolan forms due to the much more frequent STAB the latter can get with Technician full boosted moves like Bite and Feint Attack, not to mention having Dark Pulse which is slightly more powerful than anything else they have).

Status
Not open for further replies.