• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Pokemon always had violent undertones, and like the creatures that they are based off, they can be brutal too. Gf finally is bringing that into the world as well as speciation and is slowly coming full circle. The only one who is out of place, or "sucking up all the fun" is you and your lack of understanding.

Now sashay, away.

I know there's always been some violence in Pokemon, that some of them are predatory and stuff. I don't even mind some of the darker entries for some Pokemon like Palossand for example. But it's still supposed to be a lighthearted franchise for kids at heart, so there is certainly such a thing as too much darkness. For own thing, it looks like most of the Alola entries have these dark undertones to them, whereas they'd only be one of the occasional ones in the previous games.

I mentioned that my problem was specifically with the Mega Evolution entries, because they generally say that either the Pokemon is in a lot of physical pain when it does so, or it turns into a heartless monster. This is in stark, stark contrast to how it was portrayed initially as a representation of the friendship between the Pokemon and its trainer. I feel like it makes Mega Evolution less appealing as a concept because it seems to involve a lot of suffering all of a sudden, like you are almost a bad person for using it. It may have been hinted at in the anime (and only once, my impression is that all other Megas were fine there?), but this is way overboard.

Similarly, I think it's kind of crazy to go 'yeah, the previous games exist in another dimension, but the characters you know have been kidnapped and their memories wiped, and also the world might have been wiped out by these monsters'. I don't know who this plot is trying to appeal to - it won't mean anything to younger players, but to older players I can't see it being much of a consolation to say the universe they know existed but is now gone rather than just being retconned out. That, and this is my personal taste, but I just feel like all these multiverse splits between the main games feel a bit much. I don't feel like it is necessary over than to make remakes and the originals exist at the same time for some reason, and it has shades of almost a conspiracy theory to me which doesn't seem to quite belong again with the simplistic, kid-friendly plots in Pokemon.

Seriously, I feel like people are allowed to complain if there's something they don't like. You can't just say I 'lack understanding' for not liking how a concept has gone from relatively mild to horrifying all of a sudden, and you can't just tell me to go away. If you like the darkness, sure, that's fine, we can agree to disagree. But a tonal shift like that is going to turn off some people, and I just happen to be one of them.

Last edited:

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
I know there's always been some violence in Pokemon, that some of them are predatory and stuff. I don't even mind some of the darker entries for some Pokemon like Palossand for example. But it's still supposed to be a lighthearted franchise for kids at heart, so there is certainly such a thing as too much darkness. For own thing, it looks like most of the Alola entries have these dark undertones to them, whereas they'd only be one of the occasional ones in the previous games.

I mentioned that my problem was specifically with the Mega Evolution entries, because they generally say that either the Pokemon is in a lot of physical pain when it does so, or it turns into a heartless monster. This is in stark, stark contrast to how it was portrayed initially as a representation of the friendship between the Pokemon and its trainer. I feel like it makes Mega Evolution less appealing as a concept because it seems to involve a lot of suffering all of a sudden, like you are almost a bad person for using it. It may have been hinted at in the anime (and only once, my impression is that all other Megas were fine there?), but this is way overboard.

Similarly, I think it's kind of crazy to go 'yeah, the previous games exist in another dimension, but the characters you know have been kidnapped and their memories wiped, and also the world might have been wiped out by these monsters'. I don't know who this plot is trying to appeal to - it won't mean anything to younger players, but to older players I can't see it being much of a consolation to say the universe they know existed but is now gone rather than just being retconned out. That, and this is my personal taste, but I just feel like all these multiverse splits between the main games feel a bit much. I don't feel like it is necessary over than to make remakes and the originals exist at the same time for some reason, and it has shades of almost a conspiracy theory to me which doesn't seem to quite belong again with the simplistic, kid-friendly plots in Pokemon.

Seriously, I feel like people are allowed to complain if there's something they don't like. You can't just say I 'lack understanding' for not liking how a concept has gone from relatively mild to horrifying all of a sudden, and you can't just tell me to go away. If you like the darkness, sure, that's fine, we can agree to disagree. But a tonal shift like that is going to turn off some people, and I just happen to be one of them.

I think Pokemon needs to evolve and we should not forget that GF mostly makes game for a Japanese audience, which luckily happen to work for all of us. In Japan the majority of kids began playing Yokai Watch with a very kid-friendly and tame story, Pokemon can't cater to this audience anymore, also realising that a huge part of Pokemon's fanbase is made of people who played older generations so a lot of adults. You lose them, if you make a Yokai Watch with Pokemon.

Kittypotts

Tsareena

Hi, I noticed in the data mine move set that Tsareena does not seem to learn trop kick but gets it via eggs and breeding,does anyone know this is fact,it may effect current team if I have to wait to breed..really wanna use her.
Team as stands
Popplio
Rockruff
Salandit
Passim ion
Bounsweet
Togedemaru

DSDark

Breeder
Is there a compilation of pokedex models for pokemon 1-721

pOlarizer

Hi, I noticed in the data mine move set that Tsareena does not seem to learn trop kick but gets it via eggs and breeding,does anyone know this is fact,it may effect current team if I have to wait to breed..really wanna use her.
Team as stands
Popplio
Rockruff
Salandit
Passim ion
Bounsweet
Togedemaru

You don't have to breed Tsareena, just bring a heart scale to the move relearner to get Trop Kick

Grim712

'New Guy'
I just found out that Golisopod retains emergency exit upon evolving, despite getting access to the newly buffed leech life, do you think that this would hamper it's usefulness?

wilmawong

Is there any confirmation on the alolan diglett and geodude lines height and weight stats? They're not stated in those videos

Hasty

Moonside

I kind of agree with you. Some Dex entries I read really "shocked" me, why are they focusing so much on the violence of Pokemon? Sure, that also has its place in Pokemon but it feels like they really went a bit overboard here. It's like they're trying to draw in the "mature" audience.
I don't know every detail yet, and I don't want to know until I can play the game myself, but I really hope that they'll resolve this dimension mess they started in ORAS, and are apparently now taking even further, in the future. Or just drop it entirely if you can't resolve it. It's not a mystery why characters change between entries, it's because this is a video game in the first place.

pOlarizer

I just found out that Golisopod retains emergency exit upon evolving, despite getting access to the newly buffed leech life, do you think that this would hamper it's usefulness?

Depends on how you plan to use it. It has access to 3 priority moves to sneak a hit in before switching out

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I wonder if Marshadow is a UB.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Alpacawhisperer

Pokemon master
So are videos with the dark type z move? Black hole eclipse sounds like it will be aesome

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Status
Not open for further replies.