• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDK

But do we know how much of a gameplay there is in the post game? I havnet seen any video that showcases that..

No we don't really, we just have text dumps.
But people tend to forget the tapus puzzles are post game too and are a way better alternative than a roaming old gen bird.

Creyk

you all don't see the bigger picture here.

There's a lot of things to do in this game, even in the games, like the pkemon snap thingy, developping your plaza, global mission and stuff.
All you see is just some part of the games.
Also ultra beast episode might be as long as delta episode especially since there are maybe 6 of them to get.
Also we all know the remake/third game (with what pokemon on the cover? We don' thave a third legendary maybe necrozma) will have more things to do like it's always the case for third game/remakes

But third editions are not a thing anymore.

Anyway, do we know if the eviolite nerf is legit or fake?

Grey Wind

So any guesses on who this guy is?

DW7VBL8.png

Someone brought up Benga earlier but I really don't see the similarities.

Daemul

Changes the Pokémon’s type to match the Plate or Z-Crystal it holds.

Huh? Seems like Arceus' Multi-type ability got a buff, seems like he's able to change type will still being able to use a Z-move.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Where did you find that guy?

Do we have the battle intro models already?

(Also, he doesn't look like Benga to me either)

Could that be the Dark Kahuna? He has the red theme going.

Xuxuba

I think I'd be ok if this oohmori guy wasn't making the next games. A lot of the decisions they made this time are really stupid. The fact that it's looking like the post game might be even shorter than ORAS and X and Y despite an extra year of development is pretty sad. It all comes together my ***.
I don't like his decisions either tbh. He doesn't seem to like developing the postgame and the battle facilities and those are my favorite parts of the game.

Really guys, expecting another region was never a realistic expectation. And as for a battle frontier, the developers have made it clear they believe the Japanese at the very least do not have the time for such a feature so I'm doubtful we'll ever see it again.

I didn't expect much for the postgame, but i hoped the battle facility would have at least triple and rotation battles... It honestly feels like a regression.

you all don't see the bigger picture here.

There's a lot of things to do in this game, even in the games, like the pkemon snap thingy, developping your plaza, global mission and stuff.
All you see is just some part of the games.
Also ultra beast episode might be as long as delta episode especially since there are maybe 6 of them to get.
Also we all know the remake/third game (with what pokemon on the cover? We don' thave a third legendary maybe necrozma) will have more things to do like it's always the case for third game/remakes

We always had things like that though, like the Photo Spots from XY, and they rarely add much to the gameplay. The plaza thing is going to be useful, but that's about it.

Hokutonoken

I'm hoping for the off chance there's more to post game than we think. The Pokémon snap stuff looks cool and I'm excited for the battle tree but don't care too much for the extra features that feel like animal crossing or something. I want more exploration and battling!

They've done the second region before and I've been praying for it again for over 12 years. I was really hoping they'd pull it off for the 20th Anniversary and because the 4 islands seem small.

slowkingsley

I've consolidated the list that Trainer Yusuf put together of pokemon with moveset changes for the old pokemon.

Butterfree - Air Slash
Beedrill - Venoshock
Spearow - Focus Energy
Clefairy - Spotlight
Jigglypuff - Stockpile, Spit Up, Swallow
Zubat - Absorb
Paras - Absorb
Golduck - Me First
Mankey - Pursuit, Stomping Tantrum, Outrage, Power Trip (egg)
Growlithe - Burn Up (egg)
Machamp - Strength

Bellsprout - Poison Jab
Doduo - Swords Dance, Jump Kick
Cubone - Stomping Tantrum
Starmie - Spotlight
Gyarados - Scary Face, Hurricane
Snorlax - High Horsepower

Articuno - Freeze-Dry
Zapdos - Magnetic Flux
Moltres - Burn Up
Mewtwo - Laser Focus
Cyndaquil - Burn Up
Furret - Agility, Coil
Hoothoot - Moonblast
Ledyba - Air Slash
Spinarak - Absorb, Infestation, Toxic Thread
Ariados - Swords Dance, Focus Energy
Pichu - Electric Terrain (egg)

Bellossom - Quiver Dance, Petal Dance
Sudowoodo - Head Smash
Dunsparce - Body Slam, Air Slash, Dragon Rush
Sneasel -Throat Chop (egg)
Corsola -Liquidation (egg)
Delibird - Drill Peck

Poochyena - Yawn, Play Rough
Mightyena - Thunder Fang, Fire Fang, Ice Fang
Taillow - Reversal, Hurricane (egg)
Surskit - Lunge (egg)
Nincada - Absorb
Volbeat - Infestation
Illumise - Infestation
Swalot - Venom Drench
Carvanha - Psychic Fangs (egg)
Wailord - Soak, Noble Roar
Grumpig - Belch
Spinda - Spotlight (egg)
Flygon - Dragon Dance

Seviper - Feint, Swords Dance
Lunatone - Power Gem, Psyshock
Solrock - Flare Blitz
Whiscash - Thrash, Belch
Relicanth - Flail
Luvdisc - Heart Stamp, Soak
Bidoof - Crunch, Swords Dance
Bibarel - Aqua Jet
Kricketune - Absorb
Wormadam - Quiver Dance, Sucker Punch, Bug Buzz
Mothim - Lunge
Ambipom - Dual Chop
Stunky - Bite, Venom Drench, Sucker Punch
Bonsly - Tearful Look
Lucario - Laser Focus, Work Up
Probopass - Tri Attack, Magnetic Flux

Patrat - Focus Energy, Nasty Plot
Lillipup - Psychic Fangs (egg)
Pansage - Frenzy Plant (tutor)
Pansear - Blast Burn (tutor)
Panpour - Hydro Cannon (tutor)
Musharna - Psychic Terrain
Throh - Mat Block
Basculin - Head Smash
Sandile - Power Trip (egg)
Tirtouga - Liquidation (egg)
Emolga - Speed Swap (egg)
Alomomola - Play Nice, Whirlpool

Klingklang - Gear Up
Beheeyem - Psychic Terrain
Cryogonal - Ancient Power
Golett - Stomping Tantrum
Golurk - High Horsepower
Heatmor - Fire Lash, Flare Blitz
Larvesta - Absorb
Litleo - Flare Blitz (egg)
Pancham - Power Trip (egg)
Pangoro - Bullet Punch

Avalugg - Body Slam
Noibat - Absorb

Absorb appears to have replaced Leech Life in most situations, so some have probably been missed from this list. This list also doesn't include new TM changes.

The bold shows pokemon that are in the Alola dex.

Last edited:
They were not a thing because a new generation for the 20th anniversary is better than a third version.

Well, as things stand, it seems like the other two placeholder games that could have used the Gen VI pentagon may have been Sun and Moon in all fairness, so it doesn't seem like they were always indefinitely planned to be part of a new generation.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Looking through the changes to old moves, it looks like Ally Switch is a priority move now. That could certainly increase its usefulness.

Flying Press got its base power increased from 80 to 100. Still too situational of course.

Fell Stinger got its base power raised from 30 to 50. Might actually be semi-reliable using in some situations now.

Parabolic Charge has 65 power now instead of 50 but its users are probably still too frail to make use of it.

Diamond Storm was already a great move but now it has a 50% chance to raise your Defense 2 stages instead of the former 1 stage.

Mystical Fire got buffed from 65 power to 75 power.

.Aerodactyl.

Love everything about the game itself: customization, trials, new Pokémon, pokeride, festival plaza...deeply DEEPLY disappointed in the post game. We just keep going backwards and it makes little sense to me. I understand the need to streamline the campaign for today's audience, but much of the post game is optional... If people didn't like triples and rotation because of how "complex" they were they just wouldn't use them. They wouldn't just stop playing... And even if they did just "stop" playing because of it, what else can they do but stop playing without it? Because nothing replaced it. There's literally nothing else for them to do in its stead to keep interest. How can we be on the seventh generation, and the post game facility is going backwards back to gen 3???

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I didn't expect much for the postgame, but i hoped the battle facility would have at least triple and rotation battles... It honestly feels like a regression.
You may have liked them but I can only assume that triple and rotational battles were removed for the simple reason that they never caught on/got popular enough.

They've done the second region before and I've been praying for it again for over 12 years. I was really hoping they'd pull it off for the 20th Anniversary and because the 4 islands seem small.
They did a second region a single time, and even back then when designing the games was simpler the second region was still quite massively slimmed down in content.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I still can't believe people are clamoring for a second region. Its time to realize that just ain't gonna happen. And while crystal was my first, and i love johto, second region sucked. By the seventh badge, you were still fighting trainers who had 20s who have you like $500, for god's sake. It made johto slow to a crawl, because all the half way challenge was in kanto. Screw johto shining on its own!

I don't like his decisions either tbh. He doesn't seem to like developing the postgame and the battle facilities and those are my favorite parts of the game.

Well, it must be said: to each their own. But him being the director of this game means post-game content is likely the least of his concerns, and the fact that the main story is 15+ hours long when rushed this time around is a great testament to how much depth the story may have compared to the weaker stories of the Gen VI games, imo. For comparison, I'm playing through Y to complete my Gen VI Living Dex (literally catching every other Pokémon) and the game will likely take me just over 15 hours to complete (took 10 or thereabouts 3 years ago with XY).

I like how we have some consistency with him being onboard for the Gen VI games and now directing his own new main series entries, and if anything this should scream that the story elements of the game are being built up to some sort of climax which seemingly isn't reached in SM. There are many directions in which they can go from here (Kanto SEQUELS, SM sequels, DP remakes, a new region), and I'm sure the post-game will get better as it has started to since XY. Let's not forget that a lot of time was put into completely overhauling or perhaps even changing the overworld engine for these games, and any post-game would take much longer to code than with simple 2-D models such as those in Gen I - V.

Xuxuba

Love everything about the game itself: customization, trials, new Pokémon, pokeride, festival plaza...deeply DEEPLY disappointed in the post game. We just keep going backwards and it makes little sense to me. I understand the need to streamline the campaign for today's audience, but much of the post game is optional... If people didn't like triples and rotation because of how "complex" they were they just wouldn't use them. They wouldn't just stop playing... And even if they did just "stop" playing because of it, what else can they do but stop playing without it? Because nothing replaced it. There's literally nothing else for them to do in its stead to keep interest. How can we be on the seventh generation, and the post game facility is going backwards back to gen 3???

That's pretty much how i'm feeling too.

You may have liked them but I can only assume that triple and rotational battles were removed for the simple reason that they never caught on/got popular enough.

They did a second region a single time, and even back then when designing the games was simpler the second region was still quite massively slimmed down in content.
Like Aerodactly said, you don't have to use those features if you don't like them. Besides, just because it was removed doesn't mean people hated that feature, the walking pokemon feature is a perfect example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.