• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
It's so surreal seeing people speculate in the non-leak threads when all the info is already out there.

Without the leaks we'd all probably be doing the exact same thing, making theories, but with the info already known the whole theorizing seems... kinda droll. Like how it's very doubtful we'll be able to get starters with their HA anytime soon in-game, unless they for some reason decide to distribute them within a few months after release.

Weird times, between the main leak and the release, but man, it's been a pretty fun couple of months so far, anticipating this game. It doesn't look as grand as I'd hoped anymore but I still can't wait to plunge into it and see everything for myself in... ten-ish days for me now.

I get the impression a lot of people are kind of disenchanted with how it's looking, do you think this really is a 'lousy gen' or did we just set the bar way too high?

I personally think we may've expected a bit much but they did really drop the ball here and there.

Probably we did just set the bar way too high. Set such high expectations that when said expectations weren't met people are disappointed. Honestly, I don't get why people can say it's a trash gen when the games haven't even come out yet.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
Hey, I just saw something on the 'chan that there's a poke pelago island that trains EVs on the pokemon you put there. Can't figure out the exact details but that seems pretty sweet, if you have four mons you want to speed EV train just get a reset (hearing it's easy to get this gen), stick'em on your island and let it do its magic while you go breed or something.

That's starting to sound more like it.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Oh i was mistaken it was because of the datamine of the demo.

But still regular forms are forms so they share the same dex space as the alola one.

Technically yes, but you can't register them in-game, so they are effectively Schrodinger's Original Form.

do you think this really is a 'lousy gen' or did we just set the bar way too high?

The game is very clearly rushed to release as XY and ORAS, but I think the latter takes much more place, with the whole alchemy theme and multiverse theme going out of proportion, and the whole speculation about UBs being/taking the form of humans thing.

The game itself does have a lot of weird design choices as well, which just makes things more harder due to the whole "subjective opinion" deal.

My personal take on it is that:

1.It's a very fine game on it is own, though not revolutionary.

2. It is a mediocre Pokémon game and a below-average but acceptable way to start off a generation.

3. It didn't falsely advertise itself, but hyped a few things out of proportion.

4.I still plan to skip it like XY.

5. Much like XY most of the major mechanics introduced here will never see the light of day again.

Last edited:

pOlarizer

Technically yes, but you can't register them in-game, so they are effectively Schrodinger's Original Form.

The game is very clearly rushed as XY and ORAS, but I think the latter takes much more place, with the whole alchemy theme and multiverse theme going out of proportion, and the whole speculation about UBs being/taking the form of humans thing.

The game itself does have a lot of weird design choices as well, which just makes things more harder due to the whole "subjective opinion" deal.

My personal take on it is that:

1.It's a very fine game on it is own, though not revolutionary.

2. It is a mediocre Pokémon game and a below-average but acceptable way to start off a generation.

3. It didn't falsely advertise itself, but hyped a few things out of proportion.

4.I still plan to skip it like XY.

5. Much like XY most of the major mechanics introduced here will never see the light of day again.

You skipped XY?! Those were really good games....

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
I could be way off but I suppose combining all the pluses with the minuses, this gen hovers around 7/10 for a lot of people?

It's serviceable enough with a couple highlights and some fun new mechanics, it's not terrible, but it's got too many things that just don't live up to the hype to call it a standout.

With the bump to full free roamable areas now covered, I do hope the next games ie gen 8 or the DP remakes are going to feel more bulky. The remakes I think have a very good chance of bringing Sinnoh (my absolute least favourite region) to life in a way that feels fresh, with the advances made since the originals.

I heard someone compare Tapu Lele to Gardevoir (stats, typing), except it doesn't have a mega. Do you think it's anti-priority terrain and inherent psychic boost might give it a worthwhile edge?

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
The game is very clearly rushed as XY and ORAS, but I think the latter takes much more place, with the whole alchemy theme and multiverse theme going out of proportion, and the whole speculation about UBs being/taking the form of humans thing.

Oh thank god I'm not alone in how I feel about S&M so far. Thing is, I want to be taken by surprise and find that S&M are really good Pokemon games that are just as enjoyable as some of the older generations. But from the leaks and datamining, I don't have high hopes, in fact I'm seriously considering just sticking to the older generations if S&M turn out to be like XY and if the 8th Gen games follow the same route as well.

(I kinda really like the black prism UB thing though - it reminds me of the Xenomorph from the Alien franchise if it was kid friendly).

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I could be way off but I suppose combining all the pluses with the minuses, this gen hovers around 7/10 for a lot of people?

It's serviceable enough with a couple highlights and some fun new mechanics, it's not terrible, but it's got too many things that just don't live up to the hype to call it a standout.

With the bump to full free roamable areas now covered, I do hope the next games ie gen 8 or the DP remakes are going to feel more bulky. The remakes I think have a very good chance of bringing Sinnoh (my absolute least favourite region) to life in a way that feels fresh, with the advances made since the originals.

I heard someone compare Tapu Lele to Gardevoir (stats, typing), except it doesn't have a mega. Do you think it's anti-priority terrain and inherent psychic boost might give it a worthwhile edge?

7/10 = S/M are Gen 7 games = The irony lol

I guess we should have expected it. GF has taken the hard turn towards casuals, with some care for hardcore fans. This is it, people should not expect games like they were before Gen VI again, or they will be disappointed again.

Me myself, I knew this would come to this (well, I expected things to be a little bit better, but whatever), so I lowered expectations from the beginning. S/M, from all the info, still look great games, but I feel they could do more with them, being the 20th anniversary titles and all.

Stone Dragon

I would rate this game better if I wouldn'tbe interested in shiny hunting, breeding etc. But they killed mechanics that were sooo awesome, like hordes, supertraining, o-powers, which makes everything I'm interested in really time consuming.

I didn't even had hopes, because I'm fine with every Pokémon game to this point, but I thought keeping hordes etc is so easy to do even without wishing for it. Bu now..
I hope I have fun playing as a casual with nice features. Festival plaza is still cool for example.

GDK

7/10 = S/M are Gen 7 games = The irony lol

I guess we should have expected it. GF has taken the hard turn towards casuals, with some care for hardcore fans. This is it, people should not expect games like they were before Gen VI again, or they will be disappointed again.

Me myself, I knew this would come to this (well, I expected things to be a little bit better, but whatever), so I lowered expectations from the beginning. S/M, from all the info, still look great games, but I feel they could do more with them, being the 20th anniversary titles and all.

MEh anniversary game are rarely huge things.
As a reminder sonic 06 was an anniversary game and we can rejoice S/M didn't fall in the same category.
Even mario maker had lacking features at launch (and still has now where is my portable mario themes !).

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
The game is very clearly rushed as XY and ORAS,
ORAS never felt rushed to me, what makes you think Sun/Moon feels rushed? From what we've heard playing through it actually takes a good deal longer than XY.

This really confuses me, just what mechanics did XY introduce that were never seen again? Hardly any as far as I can tell, certainly not "most." Super Training seems to be the only major thing missing, and even that was in ORAS as well so it wasn't a "never see the light of day" again thing. Not to mention it is looking like they replaced it with a better form of EV training.

Unless you call things like the roller skates a "mechanic."

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
People just set their expectations way too high. That's nothing new. It happens every generation.

I didn't set my expectations super high so I don't feel let down very much at all even while knowing much about the game already. I still think I'll enjoy S/M a lot more than X/Y. With that said, I feel it may be time for the main series games to make the leap to consoles. I just don't think the 3DS is powerful enough to give us 100+ new Pokemon plus all the old ones in 3D AND a huge main game AND a huge postgame. I could be wrong but it seems like expecting all of that in a 3DS game is expecexpecting too much. It was probably a lot easier on the DS because it's WAY easier to make sprites than 3D models.

Honestly, the only thing that really disappoints me is Alolan forms. It's such a good idea and i feel like they could have done a lot more with them. I'm hoping they don't just scrap it in the future.

But yeah. Anyone who says the gen is trash when the games aren't even out yet are jumping the gun.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I wasnt that fond of Sun and Moon when they were got revealed. But I AM looking forward playing it, since we haven't had any new Pokemon game for 2 YEARS. I'm sure it will be great playing it.

GDK

ORAS never felt rushed to me, what makes you think Sun/Moon feels rushed? From what we've heard playing through it actually takes a good deal longer than XY.

This really confuses me, just what mechanics did XY introduce that were never seen again? Hardly any as far as I can tell, certainly not "most." Super Training seems to be the only major thing missing, and even that was in ORAS as well so it wasn't a "never see the light of day" again thing. Not to mention it is looking like they replaced it with a better form of EV training.

Unless you call things like the roller skates a "mechanic."

Hordes and mega evolution(kinda) are dead now.
Well mega can come back, and most likely will in either sinnoh remake or third game.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm not in favor of a few of the changes made, but I haven't seen anything that would make me think these won't be some of the best pokemon games yet. Then again things like extensive postgame or complex battle facilities (I never even did a lot in most of the Battle Frontier facilities) have never been that important to me, I look for fun gameplay, beautiful graphics, and additions/changes that improve various pokemon and battles in general. Sun and Moon seems to have a ton of that.

Hordes and mega evolution(kinda) are dead now.
Well mega can come back, and most likely will in either sinnoh remake or third game.
Megas never left, them not making new ones doesn't make it a "mechanic never seen again."

As for hordes, I would call the whole "call for ally" mechanic a variation/improvement on that as like hordes it serves as a way to get hidden abilities. As far as I'm aware EV training was never really the intention of horde battles, just something players took advantage of.

Last edited:

General Nonsense

Star Glider
I'm just accepting what we're being given, I'm sure it's going to be a fun time despite it being different from previous gens. I still have a region to explore, I still have pokemon to catch, and I still have trainers to battle. I have those things, so I am happy.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Megas never left, them not making new ones doesn't make it a "mechanic never seen again."

It's as good as dead with not adding any new ones.
They could have at least added some new ones for non-Gen 1 Pokemon so the other Gens could get some love and not just Kanto Pokemon

LoveMcQueen5683

I'm really disappointed with how Hyper Training actually works. I was hoping it would buff the actual IVs to max and not just make the stats mirror max IVs. I don't see myself using it at all anymore. Looks like I'm just going to be breeding for a 6IV Smeargle until I can transfer my Ditto over. Hopefully the normal breeding tactics still work or I'm not going to be enjoying the post-game at all this time as breeding and the Battle Facilities are the biggest part for me.

EDIT: Is it also true that we can only get one of each Apricorn Ball?

Thats not that big a deal. I was only planning on using it for shinies and legendaries

Xuxuba

They could have at least added some new ones for non-Gen 1 Pokemon so the other Gens could get some love and not just Kanto Pokemon

Also, they are banned from competitive and we only get them in the postgame when there is nearly nothing left to do.
So yeah they are as good as dead.

Last edited:

GDK

With the new alolan form thing they already give old mon new time to shine.
My guess is that third game will introduce new megas to shake the mega a little bit (also new sinnoh forms for the remake? meh I doubt it).

Status
Not open for further replies.