• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon Discovery Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Also, don't be so quick to assume that UBs can't be legendaries... There's a story reason why.

Huh your unedited message was quite curious, and don't worry that isn't too much of a spoiler for me :) Rather it was one of that kind of spoiler that makes you more exited for the final product to understand the circumstances and whole meaning behind it.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Huh your unedited message was quite curious, and don't worry that isn't too much of a spoiler for me :) Rather it was one of that kind of spoiler that makes you more exited for the final product to understand the circumstances and whole meaning behind it.

Yeah, sorry about that. I haven't posted in a while so I forgot how spoiler tags worked on here. Turns out it has to be in all caps...

Cosmog is an Ultra Beast, that simply traveled to the Pokemon world long ago in the past. If Ultra Beasts aren't legendary Pokemon, then what does that make the Box duo?

GDK

IT's all just semantics by now.
Legendaries are unbreadable mons for me.
So yeah that includes type:Null even though it's the only one of the bunch not being shiny locked.
Also that includes unown because why not?

DrakeKoryu

So yeah that includes type:Null even though it's the only one of the bunch not being shiny locked.

Ditto is then legendary? I think it will be better to asign them as "pokémon than can be captured only in special circumstances" such as in-game events or by passing a trial/dungeon. And even with that we have some that could fall into that description too XD is something really hard to grasp and conceptualizate jejeje

Orphalesion

Well they usually appear in junction with legendary Pokemon. Also Unown; the first time in the history of pokemon that a mon's "great secwet" turned out to be pretty unspectacular haha. Seriously...Unown...why? Why you there, Unown? Why you so useless, Unown?

Ditto is then legendary?

Sure why not? Oprah is handing out the "Legendary Pokem Statuses (tm)" down at the corner before she relocates to Canada. "You get to be a legendray! You get to be a legendary! Everybody gets to be a legendary!"

Last edited:

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
If one thing GameFreak's known for, it's for breaking any and all "patterns" folks come up with to explain them. I mean, in Gen 3 Ho-oh and Lugia more or less became "Mythical" Pokemon, and kinda stayed that way until HG/SS in Gen 4. In Gen 4 we also got Manaphy, a breedable Mythical/Legendary, even if it could only make Phiones. In Gen 5 we got Zorua/Zoroark as Mythicals for 1 game until BW2. In Gen 6 Deoxys lost its Mythical status and became a regular Legendary.

Honestly, the distinctions don't really mean anything now. I'm sure they'll continue to classify Ultra Beasts as just Ultra Beasts, but going off of everything else they might as well be called Legends.

Orphalesion

And Arcanine still isn't one, despite what it's pokedex entry says...

Anyway, from Bulbapedia:
Legendary Pokémon (Japanese: 伝説のポケモン Legendary Pokémon) are a group of incredibly rare and often very powerful Pokémon, generally featured prominently in the legends and myths of the Pokémon world.

Mythical Pokémon(Japanese: 幻のポケモン Illusory Pokémon) are a related but separate group of Pokémon, which are usually event-exclusive. Prior to Generation V, Mythical Pokémon were considered to be Legendary Pokémon in non-Japanese media.

Aside from the high statistics shared by most Legendary Pokémon, many can only be obtained once per save file (excluding Pokémon events); in order to obtain multiple, a player would need to trade for one.

The gender of most Legendary Pokémon is unknown (though there are seven notable exceptions: Latios, Latias, Heatran, Cresselia, Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus). In the core series games, no Legendary Pokémon can breed or hatch from an Egg. Legendary Pokémon cannot evolve, although many are part of a Legendary duo or trio.

Much like starter Pokémon appear at the beginning of each regional Pokédex and their generation's portion of the National Pokédex, Mythical Pokémon typically appear at the very end, and Legendary Pokémon immediately before them.

It seems to be a pretty vague definition that has a lot of exceptions to it.

BCVM22

"Legendary" is a very specific sub-group of Pokémon, most (but not all) of whom share certain common characteristics - there's seldom any debate as to whether a given Pokémon is a Legendary and it's odd that people would pick now to try and declare (falsely), "well, that's just a semantic term."

"Mythical" is subject to considerably more debate, but even then is more a marketing term to describe the various event Legendaries across the generations.

Thepowaofhax

I found a picture of the Chikorita here. Apparently if you scan 10 mons, you can get something like this. Chikorita seems to be found in Route 2 if there is any patterns.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

Aren't Solgaleo and Lunala known as legendary deity Pokémon by the people of Alola? I could have sworn I remember watching someone's early playthrough of Moon, where the player and Lillie awaken Lunala, and both Lillie and Hapu recognize it as such

Last edited:

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
"Legendary" is a very specific sub-group of Pokémon, most (but not all) of whom share certain common characteristics - there's seldom any debate as to whether a given Pokémon is a Legendary and it's odd that people would pick now to try and declare (falsely), "well, that's just a semantic term."

"Mythical" is subject to considerably more debate, but even then is more a marketing term to describe the various event Legendaries across the generations.

Considering that we have a legendary that evolves, a legendary that breeds, and before gen 3 it was unheard of to have a legendary with genders, I definitely think that Ultra Beasts should be considered Legends. Do you disagree?

sketchersmeargle

usually by my standards with my friends, legendaries are not allowed to be on teams due to they would actually be too powerful to be captured and are just uncatchable in the first place due to them being akin to gods. Mythical pokemon are too rare and singular to be caught and once again would be too powerful to be caught in regular means.

The only ones I allow are Phione, Shaymin due to both being in numerous quantities but would be rare to find. Not Manaphy due to it being singular and governing the sealife. Gensect I allow due to it can always just be another clone you find in an abandoned lab tucked way somewhere, as we saw from the movie there are numerous ones as well. Mewtwo will always be singular to me and even so, still would be too powerful to be caught.

As for Type:Null and Silvally, technically even though it can evolve, it is more of a form change, so its another man made mythical, I too allow cause you could possibly find another Type:Null locked away as a first try somewhere in another abandoned lab.

The regis can be caught, beacause there are multiplies, but again rare and are only made after the other 3 become the pillars for Regigigas again.

still don't know about Heatran due to it having genders due to it having a gender and possibly could be a mythical as well, with offspring after thecurrent ones die, and not governing a force of nature.

Solgaleo and Lunaala are still legendaries, just legendaries that appear to have life spans like the beast trio.

UBs I consider to be separate category.

Last edited:

BCVM22

EDIT: why aren't the spoiler tags working

Because you're using the tags wrong. You either need to use [ spoil ] or [ spoiler=(text) ] (minus the spaces).

Considering that we have a legendary that evolves, a legendary that breeds, and before gen 3 it was unheard of to have a legendary with genders, I definitely think that Ultra Beasts should be considered Legends. Do you disagree?

I'm not going to make a judgment on that - for what very little my judgment matters - until I've played the game. From our limited vantage point, I would say not necessarily, but we're still only looking at these games through a keyhole, if a continually widening one.

It's statements like "I consider Nidoqueen/Silvally/Ditto to be Legendary" to which we can definitively say "no, they aren't."

Last edited:

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
And that is why certain patterns SHOULD NEVER be broken... What did I say about Solgaleo/Lunala? Look at this f***ing mess now. We 're not even sure if we can call them Legendary now. Bravo, GF, bravo, another shot in the foot. First, the Legends, then the National Dex (possibly), what else has remained they can ruin for more $$$?

BCVM22

No, that's being overreactive and a touch ridiculous. Lunala and Solgaleo are Legendary Pokémon. Complaining that they've "ruined things for more $$$" is equivally overreactive and ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.