• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon - Hopes and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I do not understand this line of thinking. Why do people believe that there is some arbitrary maximum number of pokemon or any number that would count as "too many"? More pokemon means more options to choose from, and that's a good thing. There is no "overcrowding the game" with those critters.

a causal google search revealed that there's 1200 Digimon. Even with 100 pokemon per generation, Pokemon would still have 5 generations to go to reach that number. So I don't really see a problem.

In fairness, a significant portion of the Digimon total are either recoloured versions, (See, Garurumon and Gururumon), or Digimon that are exclusive to one particular thing due to lack of relevance or censorship, like BomberNanimon becoming "Citramon" due to bomb threats at the time in the anime, and Snatchmon being exclusive to Digimon World 3.

It's also worth noting that no game has had all Digimon in it, ever, with the exception of the card game. I think the highest there have ever been in one game is 400+. To most, a moot point, but is still a point worth noting. I don't mean to be that guy. So unless Game Freak is going to count Shiny Pokemon as separate species, they may start reducing numbers each gen.

Orphalesion

So unless Game Freak is going to count Shiny Pokemon as separate species, they may start reducing numbers each gen.

That has no correlation to one another. Fact is I do not see any reason for them to decrease the number of pokemon each gen in the future, there's it's just a few fans feeling that there are "too many".

Even if the creator approves each design, Pokemon are still designed by a team these days and if random people on Deviantart can churn out pokedexes of 150 critters, then a team of professionals can as well.

NeptuneCloyster

Squadallah
That has no correlation to one another. Fact is I do not see any reason for them to decrease the number of pokemon each gen in the future, there's it's just a few fans feeling that there are "too many".

Even if the creator approves each design, Pokemon are still designed by a team these days and if random people on Deviantart can churn out pokedexes of 150 critters, then a team of professionals can as well.

It's not a question of whether they can, it's a question of whether it's best for the game.
Digimon is a franchise that is far less popular and accessible than pokemon, mostly because it's widely regarded as having becoe way too confusing and oversaturated within about 6 years, so they're not really a good paradigm of how to do things.
Game freak are pacing themselves, which is a good thing. they're focussing on quality over quantity, which is a good thing to do when your franchise is running the risk of becoming inaccessable to new players because of vast amounts of new characters (see: digimon)

Orphalesion

they're focussing on quality over quantity)

And there we are again with the nice stock phrase that has no basis in fact when brought in relation to the size of past pokemon generations...

100-120 completely new pokemon each game is not over-saturating the franchise.

And there are other factors to the failure of digimon than "too many characters" Ever played the early digimon games? They were absolutely abysmal in everything from graphics to plot to gameplay. It's no fun to helplessly shout at your A.I.-controlled digimon to maybe, perhaps do what you want in battle, to have to grind each stat with stupid minigames and have evolution decided by arbitrary factors you often can't influence.
Also don't forget that digimon was less kid-friendly than pokemon. Which is a problem particularly if you want to market towards an audience of western kids.

ComfyShorts

Now that I think about my hopes for this game I would really, really like a difficulty setting I felt the 6th gen games were way to easy.

NeptuneCloyster

Squadallah
And there we are again with the nice stock phrase that has no basis in fact when brought in relation to the size of past pokemon generations...

And there are other factors to the failure of digimon than "too many characters" Ever played the early digimon games? They were absolutely abysmal in everything from graphics to plot to gameplay. It's no fun to helplessly shout at your A.I.-controlled digimon to maybe, perhaps do what you want in battle, to have to grind each stat with stupid minigames and have evolution decided by arbitrary factors you often can't influence.
Also don't forget that digimon was less kid-friendly than pokemon. Which is a problem particularly if you want to market towards an audience of western kids.

okay wow you're real mad about this.
But yeah, basically everyone agrees that the kalos pokemon were a lot less hit-and-miss than the Unova pokemon because they slowed down, were more discerning, and paid more attention to each design, i.e.: quality over quantity they've said themselves that they're only going to go to a certain pokedex size, so if they slow down and do things like megas now, they won't be burned out in like 2 more gens.

Tbh, the quality over quantity thing is way too subjective to even be valid, even in the oast when I've used it when saying I would prefer it quality over quantity, despite not dissing any past gens, that it's way too subjective too even begin speaking about. Tbh, it's very obvious to see that every Pokémon has detail and effort put into them, and IMO, that's what's really important.

AlchemistAzure

So going off Gen 6, where the starters secondary type also followed a trinity, I think it would be interesting for them to go the other direction and create a counter balance. Grass/Rock, Water/Poison, Fire/Electric, this is the best thing I've come up with that, has not been done in a starter. not done at all, or hasn't been touched in several generations. Oh also, a Dark Gym...please for sanity a Dark Gym.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
So going off Gen 6, where the starters secondary type also followed a trinity, I think it would be interesting for them to go the other direction and create a counter balance. Grass/Rock, Water/Poison, Fire/Electric, this is the best thing I've come up with that, has not been done in a starter. not done at all, or hasn't been touched in several generations. Oh also, a Dark Gym...please for sanity a Dark Gym.

Fire/Electric is still weak to Water. :D

Creyk

How would a grass rock type even function?
The one we have now is so useless, but a starter has to be at least decently good. How could they make it work?

Class Zero

We have arrived.
How would a grass rock type even function?
The one we have now is so useless
, but a starter has to be at least decently good. How could they make it work?

I seriously wouldn't say Cradily is "so useless", it's just whether you know how to use it..
And also, even if you find it rubbish, it's not indicative of the type combination in general.

I'd love a high attack, high speed Grass/Rock type with Rock Head and access to Wood Hammer and Head Smash.

SOLARISENSHI

telekinetic Trainer
one thing I definitely hope for is that it's kind of a mishmash of tropical regions like Singapore and Hawaii I've been to Hawaii before and to think that that could be fictionalized and made into a Pokemon region would be incredible. I'd love to see interactive events such as a fire you gon do your best to douse the fire out I can easily see it being a button mashing kind of thing it would still be fun and you can get your unique Rewardssuch as an achievement in normal games like platinum gold bronze trophies that sort of thing it might actually be the implication of the new type of badge. I don't know could be called an event badge, it would increase the stats of the Pokemon you used for the event, also ground types ice types anything that could put out a fire would be useful as well that kind of thing

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

The early digimon games were absolutely amazing and I'm having a hard time finding them... don't even put abysmal in the same sentence as them.

But yeah, basically everyone agrees that the kalos pokemon were a lot less hit-and-miss than the Unova pokemon because they slowed down, were more discerning, and paid more attention to each design, i.e.: quality over quantity they've said themselves that they're only going to go to a certain pokedex size, so if they slow down and do things like megas now, they won't be burned out in like 2 more gens.

They've actually confirmed that they have a limit of pokemon they're going to make? I think they should keep making a bunch of them, quality doesn't really matter unless you mean a Pokemon is only considered to have quality if you can use it competitively. Otherwise I think x/y did better than BW. But either way it's all subjective.

Orphalesion

You and the people who happen to agree with you is not everyone, darling. Show me proof that there is a drop in quality in Unova. You can't, because no such proof exist. The quality of pokemon designs is subjective. Kalos still had useless filler like Vivillion, Froufrou, Barbanacle etc.
I think people just complained less about Kalos because they included the older pokemon pre-elite 4 again and pandered to the "fans" by shoving Charizard and Lucario at the player.

If you ask me 20% of every new generation so far has been garbage/filler and the only reason there was a smaller actual number of garbage/filler mon in Kalos was because there was a smaller generation, it was still about the same amount of garbage in relation to the overal number as always. You know 20% of 71 is less than 20% of 156. But the same is true for actual good pokemon, there was a smaller amount of them than in Unova imho, simply because there were less.

Also this is independent form the argument at hand, but I would be interested in seeing the actual source of that statement regarding any plans on future generation sizes.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
You and the people who happen to agree with you is not everyone, darling. Show me proof that there is a drop in quality in Unova. You can't, because no such proof exist. The quality of pokemon designs is subjective. Kalos still had useless filler like Vivillion, Froufrou, Barbanacle etc.
I think people just complained less about Kalos because they included the older pokemon pre-elite 4 again and pandered to the "fans" by shoving Charizard and Lucario at the player.

If you ask me 20% of every new generation so far has been garbage/filler and the only reason there was a smaller actual number of garbage/filler mon in Kalos was because there was a smaller generation, it was still about the same amount of garbage in relation to the overal number as always. You know 20% of 71 is less than 20% of 156. But the same is true for actual good pokemon, there was a smaller amount of them than in Unova imho, simply because there were less.

Also this is independent form the argument at hand, but I would be interested in seeing the actual source of that statement regarding any plans on future generation sizes.

I personally think the 'filler/garbage' pokemon are very important to the generations. The random trainers need pokemon too, which I like when they're different from yours, and I like when there aren't just like 8 different lines of pokemon that EVERYONE chooses from because they happen to be the strongest. Then each of the gym leaders can have their special pokemon and you're rival can have great pokemon, and the chances of them overlapping with your pokemon are more slim. With more pokemon available, there will be a lot more teams and strategies. I guess it is a moot point right now due to how many pokemon we already have, but within a region I think it is important to have the pokemon people deem 'useless' for other characters to have. and I have some favorites within the 'filler' pokemon due to them not being the strongest or really anything, but being weird and interesting.

NeptuneCloyster

Squadallah

the amount of people who prefer Kalos to Unova is overwhelming, and you can't provide proof of that in the same way you can't objectively prove that Star Wars II was worse than IV, other than the way people talk about it. Have fun with this argument anyway, you clearly care way more than I do about it, Darling

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
the amount of people who prefer Kalos to Unova is overwhelming, and you can't provide proof of that in the same way you can't objectively prove that Star Wars II was worse than IV, other than the way people talk about it. Have fun with this argument anyway, you clearly care way more than I do about it, Darling

All I can say is that I liked Unova's Pokemon better than Kalos' Pokemon on average. Even if Unova had more "worthless Pokemon" (which if you ask me, there is no such thing), it still had just as many, if not more interesting Pokemon. That's why I personally don't like the quality over quantity argument.

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
I happen to believe that one of the greatest priorities should be given to expand and improve upon fairy type pokemon and their moves. It shouldn't be too difficult even if they're short on ideas. The template should be based on moves that have already been created...

And, for the love of Arceus (as they say), GET RID of Hidden Power normal type and replace it with fairy. I hate it when potentially cool moves must go to waste.

That is all. :)

shadowF

I hope we will be able to have a pokemon day care early in the game, I would like to have a shiny bred competitive pokemon before I complete the main story.

Status
Not open for further replies.