• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon - Hopes and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDragonSpyro

First off, Game Freak doesn't make the Mystery Dungeon games. Second, what are you using as a marker for success? You may like the game better personally, but spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon never sell nearly as well as main series games do.

Maybe You´re Right but the Only True Challenging Game of Game Freak was Heart Gold/Soul Silver in which they were Remakes because of the Non Grinding Spots and the Hard Nut Gyms,Personally I Felt that they are Getting a Little too Flashy with Pokemon for Nintendo 3DS,it´s sure nice that we get to see 3D Graphics of the Pokemon,but the Games ahead isn´t Challenging and is quite Straight Forward Like a Bullet Train,I Guess they Slow Down with these Flashy catches and see what the Pokemon Fans will Really Like,Maybe a More Challenging Game

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
a second save file. I can't believe we still only have 1 save file.

Exploitation. A secondary save file is a really bad move for games like Pokemon.

PsychoKing47

Exploitation. A secondary save file is a really bad move for games like Pokemon.

How so? I don't see how it would be a problem at all, as it's not as if you could readily trade between the two anyway. And even if you could, surely it's no more an exploit than Pokemon Bank is, as lots of people seem to put the living Dex in there now and just transfer it all across to get the shiny charm without much effort?

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Remember the difficulty option from B2 and W2? This one should come back to this generation. But be set from the start already by asking you these yes/no questions.

a. Is this your first time playing a video game in your life? (Yes). Automatically Easy Mode
b. Is this your first time playing a video game in your life? (No). Are you new to the Role Playing Game Genre? (Yes). Automatically Normal Mode
c. Is this your first time playing a video game in your life? (No). Are you new to the Role Playing Game Genre? (No). Do you want to be challenged? (No). Automatically Normal Mode.
d. Is this your first time playing a video game in your life? (No). Are you new to the Role Playing Game Genre? (No). Do you want to be challenged? (Yes). Automatically Hard Mode.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Maybe the reluctance of multiple save files is due to some Pokemon fans disliking changes but having multiple save files can allow you to do challenge runs (Nuzlockes, Monotype and Scramble Challenges) without having to constantly delete your save file. This is particularly true if you only buy one version and can't bear to lose everything bar Pokemon (there is Pokemon Bank to keep your Pokemon safe) if you want to restart.

J.J. Knight

Maybe the reluctance of multiple save files is due to some Pokemon fans disliking changes but having multiple save files can allow you to do challenge runs (Nuzlockes, Monotype and Scramble Challenges) without having to constantly delete your save file. This is particularly true if you only buy one version and can't bear to lose everything bar Pokemon (there is Pokemon Bank to keep your Pokemon safe) if you want to restart.

I agree with this 100%. I they could easily make different save files for these games. Three different save files would be perfect in my opinion.

Maybe the reluctance of multiple save files is due to some Pokemon fans disliking changes

Um, whaaaaaat? I'm pretty sure the fans who dislike changes are a minority. The most probable reason is that it defeats a lot of the purpose for player interaction. For example, what's stopping you from going onto the GTS on one profile, then setting it up to trade on the other profile and trade/trade evolve the thing? The whole point of those features is to interact with other players, not yourself.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Not really, they confirmed it was due to personal design choices.

PearlDex

I have wanted simplification of the franchise since Gen 4. They made some things just outrageously strange (pokemon that need to evolve in certain areas, trading using certain items and the number of different items keeps increasing, etc.). The Arceus plates, the Megastones, the Deoxys meteors, etc. All of these things make things more complicated than they need to be. I hope they retcon several. Eliminate the incense: just let Pokemon breed into the pre-evo forms. Let Leafeon evolve from using a leaf stone, etc. Cut down on the number of unique items and locations we don't need. I would even like if some of the items like Razor Claw/Razor Fang were replaced with different evolution methods that were simpler. Not because I think it should be easier to obtain all the Pokemon, but simply because there isn't a need to make SO MANY items and SO MANY evolution methods.

Let Leafeon evolve from using a leaf stone, etc.

I know it's your hopes and all, but i added my thoughts to it because it's such a prevalent thing that people keep mentioning.

How about no, because the whole point of the Eeveelutions are to show off evolution methods?

Not because I think it should be easier to obtain all the Pokemon, but simply because there isn't a need to make SO MANY items and SO MANY evolution methods.

There is a need for the multitude of methods: it adds this magical thing called variety, which is needed in a game like this. The whole theme of this game is the discovery of new species and their growth, including evolution methods.

Also, I'd like to point out the only evo methods we have are:

Level-Up
Level-Up + Happiness
Level-Up + Affection (Needs a Fairy-Type move purely to stop overlap with other Eeveelution methods)
Level-Up + Specific Pokemon in Party (Mantyke + Remoraid or Pancham + Dark-Type)
Level-Up + Time
Level-Up + Time + Happiness (Okay, this one needs to die in a fire, I mean what's so special about the Day + Lucario or the Night + Chimcecho connections?)
Level-Up + Item (I don't think anything actually evolves through this, just + Time)
Level-Up + Item + Time (Plz base TPC kill this one too)
Level-Up + Flippin' the freakin' console upside down (I think this method is also a bit... eh.)
Level-Up + Area
Level-Up + Move
Level-Up + Beauty (Depends on the game, as it now has an alternative in Prism Scale + Trade)

Trade
Trade + Item
Specific Trade (Makes sense due to the design of the Pokemon)

Stone

I'm probably missing a few, but there's literally only 14/15 (or 15/16 if it's ORAS) methods for 721 Pokemon. It's not really a problem. The only ones I'd agree with that they need to just stop being a thing are the uneccesary 'tri-layered' (Level-Up + X + Time) ones and the downright ridiculous (who would actually be like 'lol lets throw my 3DS upside down).

Although I do agree with item removals. The plates literally made the held items redundant and work for Arceus too.

Anyway, I'm hoping for at least two physical Fairy-Type moves, one early game and one being competitvely viable.

PearlDex

Aromatic Mist;18030335There is a need for the multitude of methods: it adds this magical thing called [I said:
variety[/I], which is needed in a game like this. The whole theme of this game is the discovery of new species and their growth, including evolution methods.

I'm not concerned about the variety of evolution methods since most are pretty basic, as you said. My post was about simplifying ALL of it, from locations to hold items. Now every game has to shoehorn locations for specific Pokemon to evolve, Pokemon Amie, and the Day/Night cycle JUST for Eevee to evolve. And no, Eevee is not made specifically to showcase the new mechanics. I know people like to believe that, but Eevee doesn't evolve from a huge array of mechanics that have been introduced. There was no seasonal Eevee, for instance. And Feebas evolves from a contest stat, not Eevee. Stones weren't a Gen I gimmick, otherwise Eevee would've been the only one to utilize it. And if Eevee were meant to showcase the mechanics of Gen I, it would have a trade evo, too.

But besides that, there's the Prison Bottle, Griseous Orb, several additional locations for other Pokemon, the meteors for Deoxys, the laboratory to resurrect fossils, the Arceus plates, Gracidea flower, all the different trade evolve items, the incense, Dialga & Palkia's orbs (which, if you want to talk about being shoehorned in, look at how THOSE were distributed in B2W2 and XY), the reveal glass, the DNA splicers, some pokemon require some form of a move tutor, Genesect's drives, if they intend to reuse Furfrou's forms, we'll need a hair stylist input in the game FOR ONE POKEMON, even the Megastones all which need to be shoehorned into each and every game and grow constantly. So yeah, there may be only 16 evolutionary methods, but just adding up these it accounts for over 70 different items we encounter, lug around, and which serve minimal purpose. And that's just hold items. I'm talking about making space on the cartridge for something more fun than constantly encountering the same items and the same locations. That's not variety anymore, that's just running into the same places again and again and again.

And if you think GF is beyond modifying the evolutionary abilities of certain Pokemon, I'd like to point you to Eevee, again, in XD and Feebas even more recently.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This really belongs to the mechanics thread, but the one of the primary reason variety argument fails is pretty obvious. Most species evolve through Level Up at a specific level. Other evolution methods are generally restricted one or two species.

Effectively, it is the Armor/DNA Evolution Digimon or Burst Mode situation. A specific gimmick for a few species adds a unnecessary layer of complexity that makes things more tedious, creativity be damned. So you are either left with the option of increasing gimmicks even more, spanning existing gimmicks for more species or retconning a specific amount of them out.

Note: Mega Evolution don't really count to this, since there is a vast variety of Mega Evolutions, larger than any alternate evolution method.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I have wanted simplification of the franchise since Gen 4. They made some things just outrageously strange (pokemon that need to evolve in certain areas, trading using certain items and the number of different items keeps increasing, etc.). The Arceus plates, the Megastones, the Deoxys meteors, etc. All of these things make things more complicated than they need to be. I hope they retcon several. Eliminate the incense: just let Pokemon breed into the pre-evo forms. Let Leafeon evolve from using a leaf stone, etc. Cut down on the number of unique items and locations we don't need. I would even like if some of the items like Razor Claw/Razor Fang were replaced with different evolution methods that were simpler. Not because I think it should be easier to obtain all the Pokemon, but simply because there isn't a need to make SO MANY items and SO MANY evolution methods.

I thought people wanted more variety, not less. Personally I don't follow your logic at all. Why is uniqueness suddenly a bad thing? I really don't feel like the game has suffered for having all of that, and it's much more interesting to have all these different Pokemon with different mechanics. Why is uniqueness a bad thing?

Firemaker

Mammoth Master!
I thought people wanted more variety, not less. Personally I don't follow your logic at all. Why is uniqueness suddenly a bad thing? I really don't feel like the game has suffered for having all of that, and it's much more interesting to have all these different Pokemon with different mechanics. Why is uniqueness a bad thing?

Yeah some of them, like turning your 3DS upside down, are kind of quirky, but they add a layer of fun to the game. It's fun to discover small things like that.

GameFreak has always made sure to maintain continuity, which is why things like incense were created. I don't see them retconning anything.

ramblings

Moved my reply over to the mechanics thread, because I believe that's where it fits.

Anyway, I'm hoping for an early game Dragon-Type, it's a pain because they almost never do show up early. The earliest I can remember are Axew and Bagon before the second badge in XY and Dratini before the third badge in HGSS.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Yeah some of them, like turning your 3DS upside down, are kind of quirky, but they add a layer of fun to the game. It's fun to discover small things like that.

GameFreak has always made sure to maintain continuity, which is why things like incense were created. I don't see them retconning anything.

Except when they came about with the Fairy type they had no choice but to this, to a huge extent. So it is really quite puzzling how they have chosen to keep continuity so strictly with evolution methods, aside from cases like Milotic; else Espeon and Umbreon could well have been Moon and Sun stone evos?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Except when they came about with the Fairy type they had no choice but to this, to a huge extent. So it is really quite puzzling how they have chosen to keep continuity so strictly with evolution methods, aside from cases like Milotic; else Espeon and Umbreon could well have been Moon and Sun stone evos?

I think it's more about what they can do versus what they have to do. Introducing a new type is something that pretty much had to make major ripples on previously introduced Pokemon. It would be just absurd if a Pokemon called Clefairy was not a Fairy-Type. When it comes to evolution methods, there's nothing tricky about keeping with continuity, so they chose to do so.

With that being said, I could see them doing the same thing to Sylveon that they did to Milotic and change its evolution mechanic so that they're not forced to keep something as large as Pokemon-Amie in every game.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I hope we have less complicated evolution methods this time round. Inkay's evolution method was interesting but can be frustrating at times. Go back to the good old level up, trading without/with item, evolution stones and happiness. Also make Wurmple's evolution method differ from day and night instead of random. Silcoon by day and Cascoon by night would be more easier.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Most of the wants I have, have been listed already... but I really would like to see better functionality added to the pokedex. Essentially, I'd like to see it record more information about the pokemon you raise, not just keep track of pokemon caught. For example, if you raised a Litten or whatever, I think the pokedex should keep track of what levels it learned moves, what level it evolved, and if it was hatched from an egg? Keep track of the egg moves that species can inherit. Also, they need to make the egg groups visible in some way.

Another thing I'd like to see is, in addition to a Battle Frontier being included, how about add the ability to use the facilities online? PWT? Battling other players instead of NPCS online. They could do a battle pyramid with an online variant of only 5 floors and difficulty settinGs, while keeping offline closer to the original. An online battle factory would be amazing too, with pick 6 from 40 mons or so and then face randoms.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Just a random thought, but what if they made Twister, a fairly weak and underutilized Dragon-type move, have the added effect of removing entry hazards from the user's side of the field like Rapid Spin? It has decent coverage, something's immune to it, it's a busy move already, but the flavor text kind of supports it and would blow the move up bigger than Kanye's Twitter feed. Thoughts?

I would support this :) would widen the pool of pokemon that can eliminate entry hazards, leading to the possibility of more diverse pokemon usage in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.