• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun & Moon - Hopes and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Gen 6 pokemon in particular really need overhauls to their egg moves if nothing else.

Unfortunately, depending on the rumor, they may not even be touched...? Whatever, we'll see.

Very true. Pokemon like Malamar have very little variety when it comes to viable moves. It can really only use Rock Slide, Psycho Cut, Superpower, and Night Slash.

I also don't understand why Goodra can learn Muddy Water but can't learn Surf lol

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I also don't understand why Goodra can learn Muddy Water but can't learn Surf lol

Maybe because Muddy Water only involves summoning a wave of water, and Surf involves both summoning a wave of water and having a trainer ride on the back of the Pokemon.

R_N

All the talk about altering IVs in the other threads reminds me I'd like some slight changes to abilities

1. A way to switch to/out of hidden abilities. The ability capsule is already rare and expensive (200 BP! the most expensive item in the battle shops) so not being able to switch to the hidden ability seems kind of arbitrary. Almost every ability has been released by this point, too, so like...why not, right?
2. A 4th ability. A lot of Pokemon have all 3 slots filled by now, but gen 7 in particular is introducing a bunch of pretty interesting abiltiies that it would be a shame if no gen 1-6 pokemon could get them.
3. Let Levitate pokemon have alternate abilities. This has always felt pretty arbitrary, especially when Bronzor & Bronzong can have Levitate, Heat Proof or Heavy Metal. And Trapinch has a full set of 3 but it loses all of those for Levitate. I'm not saying all of them need to lose Levitate but I don't think people would raise an eyebrow at things like CYronogal, Eelektross, Carnivine, Gengar, etc

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I hope that Sun and Moon is a single region game so the whole Kanto being post game thing can end. Also trial captain rematches post game.

Ok, what do you mean? Kanto being the post-game is just in Gen 2 and its remakes (and even then it's more like the second half of the game). It's not like it's been done to death, and I'm pretty sure most people would like a new/old area to explore post-game

R_N

Ok, what do you mean? Kanto being the post-game is just in Gen 2 and its remakes (and even then it's more like the second half of the game). It's not like it's been done to death, and I'm pretty sure most people would like a new/old area to explore post-game

Because it gets kind of old that we go through this every set of games. Surely this time...

Except, ironically, HGSS, where there was a fear that Kanto wouldn't return because...?????

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan

Any other region is acceptable. Kanto appear 4 generations in a row and on virtual console. Plus I am certain that Game Freak said that Alola is a standalone region which is good.

Orphalesion

Any other region is acceptable. Kanto appear 4 generations in a row and on virtual console. Plus I am certain that Game Freak said that Alola is a standalone region which is good.

Exactly! There's enough ways to go to Kanto right now. It's time for the other regions to get a bit of love. And yep, Alola is not gonna feature another region in the post game.

Exactly! There's enough ways to go to Kanto right now. It's time for the other regions to get a bit of love. And yep, Alola is not gonna feature another region in the post game.

Well, I mean, Alola couldn't feature another region in the post-game, Sun and Moon would :p

I think there are pretty strong arguments for and against Kanto at this point (those for being that the latest canonical events we had in Kanto were back in 2009/2010 with HGSS, which was, for the most part, a retread of GSC, and it being the 20th Anniversary and all; against being that we're already getting Alolan forms and that's more than enough tribute).

But anyways, I'd much rather have a Sevii Islands/Battle Resort sort of deal, and if we were to return to a previous region then obviously I'd want it to be Kalos. Regardless of how you want to argue it, it definitely feels as though we have some unfinished business there.

.Aerodactyl.

I actually really love Kanto, so even if it's the fourth version of it I'm more than okay going back. I think it would be hard to go to Kanto without also going to Johto (Johto being my absolute favourite region). Doesn't mean I think it will happen, but I'd be okay with it. I agree that I'd actually rather see some kind of new Battle Frontier than a whole region return. I just don't think they'd do another region as well, because of the Alola forms. Going to Kanto would mean catching the original versions, and I have a nagging suspicion they won't want us to be able to do that. Being unable to get the original version of some old Pokemon in this game is good for marketing, because it encourages the purchase of the VC downloads, pokemon bank, and purchase of some of their older games. It's just a smart business move.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Maybe because Muddy Water only involves summoning a wave of water, and Surf involves both summoning a wave of water and having a trainer ride on the back of the Pokemon.

This doesn't explain why Linoone and Heliolisk can use surf, and something like Goodra can't.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Personally, I don't think it matters that we went to Kanto four generations in a row, as it's been almost ten years since our last visit to Kanto, and even more since our last real visit in Fire Red and Leaf Green. The changes made to the franchise since these last visits have been absolutely massive, and therefore a revisit to the region would be completely different from what we've experienced before.

That being said, other than just general 20th anniversary celebration reasons, I don't really see much of a reason for to be going to Kanto other than just for the heck of it. Kalos on the other hand...

This doesn't explain why Linoone and Heliolisk can use surf, and something like Goodra can't.

The easy answer would be that Goodra either can't swim, or isn't as good as a swimmer as those two. Also, it's worth noting that Helioisk learning Surf is likely a reference to the ability of the basilisk lizard to run across water.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
--dragon/fairy alola form for dragonite
--a way to breed non-alola forms of pokemon with alola forms for post-game use (so I don't have to revist x to ferry them over)
--tutor or other options for a few iconic egg moves (looking at you spikes on ferrothorn {serriously, how can it NOT learn it naturally?!} and stealth rock for it and tyrannitar)

Erron Black

The Outlaw

So then how does it make sense for Pokemon totally unrelated to water like Rhydon and Tyranitar to be able to learn Surf?

Hell, Sliggoo has to evolve in the rain.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So then how does it make sense for Pokemon totally unrelated to water like Rhydon and Tyranitar to be able to learn Surf?

Hell, Sliggoo has to evolve in the rain.

That's not what was said though. The original post asked how it could learn Muddy Water, but not Surf. I was pointing out how they were not the same move and have different criteria to learn, despite the aesthetic similarities.

Anyways, the answer to your question is what Game Freak thinks can and cannot swim. Apparently Rhydon and Tyrantitar can swim, but Goodra does not. Just because you're related to the water doesn't mean you can swim. Evolving in the rain has nothing to do with ability to swim.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
That's not what was said though. The original post asked how it could learn Muddy Water, but not Surf. I was pointing out how they were not the same move and have different criteria to learn, despite the aesthetic similarities.

Anyways, the answer to your question is what Game Freak thinks can and cannot swim. Apparently Rhydon and Tyrantitar can swim, but Goodra does not. Just because you're related to the water doesn't mean you can swim. Evolving in the rain has nothing to do with ability to swim.

I'm sorry but, notice that how just about any and all water-related Pokemon can learn Surf? It's extremely odd that Goodra, a very water-related Pokemon who can be found as a Sliggoo and Goomy in marshy areas, cannot learn Surf.

Even Stunfisk, an Electric/Ground fish can learn Surf simply because it's a fish. Goodra's line learns Bubble, Rain Dance, Muddy Water, Aqua Tail, and Water Pulse while also having the ability Hydration.

All I'm saying is I think it's really weird that Pokemon completely unrelated to water/surfing can learn Surf, but Goodra can't surf when it has so many implications of being related to water. Make sense?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm sorry but, notice that how just about any and all water-related Pokemon can learn Surf? It's extremely odd that Goodra, a very water-related Pokemon who can be found as a Sliggoo and Goomy in marshy areas, cannot learn Surf.

Even Stunfisk, an Electric/Ground fish can learn Surf simply because it's a fish. Goodra's line learns Bubble, Rain Dance, Muddy Water, Aqua Tail, and Water Pulse while also having the ability Hydration.

All I'm saying is I think it's really weird that Pokemon completely unrelated to water/surfing can learn Surf, but Goodra can't surf when it has so many implications of being related to water. Make sense?

I agree that it's odd, as Goodra probably is the only water-related Pokemon that can't learn Surf, but there's a difference between being weird and not making sense. It makes sense because there's a reason, because, once again, it's not about being water-related, it's about an ability to swim. I'm not denying that Goodra is related to water, as it most certainly is. And if you take a good look at Goodra, it kind of makes sense why it can't swim. It has stubby arms and legs as well as having most of its weight in the bottom half of its body. I'm having a hard time imagining it swimming.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I agree that it's odd, as Goodra probably is the only water-related Pokemon that can't learn Surf, but there's a difference between being weird and not making sense. It makes sense because there's a reason, because, once again, it's not about being water-related, it's about an ability to swim. I'm not denying that Goodra is related to water, as it most certainly is. And if you take a good look at Goodra, it kind of makes sense why it can't swim. It has stubby arms and legs as well as having most of its weight in the bottom half of its body. I'm having a hard time imagining it swimming.

Again that logic means nothing when we have extremely heavy Pokemon like Tyranitar and Rhydon that don't look like the swimming type, yet they can use Surf. You can't seriously tell me that you can easily imagine those two Pokemon swimming, yet you can't imagine Goodra swimming.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate

Fun Fact, Goodra's line is also the only Pokemon to learn Absorb who can't learn Giga Drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.