• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
At first I was exited when I heard the movie was coming out on my birthday (February 27) but after seeing it is a Netflix exclusive, I was somehow dissapointed. Is it going to be USA exclusive and not in Canada like most anime movies/shows!?? I think that I'm gotta buy the (insanely) expensive A-Region Japanese blu-ray instead...

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I like how on both the Netflix channel and the official Pokemon channel this trailer video has everything turned off - the comments and the likes. I wonder why :rolleyes:
Actually, the lack of comments on these videos have to do with recent changes that YouTube had made in order to comply with COPPA. Videos that are "made for kids" now cannot have comments posted on them, among other limitations.

Also, I just checked, the like and dislikes are not hidden on either video.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But why in the world is it premiering on Netflix instead of Disney XD?
The last time that a movie premiered on a platform other than the current dub platform (Movie 19 premiering on Disney XD while season 19 was still airing on Cartoon Network) it indicated a shift in airing platform for the main dub. The next season was on Disney XD. Could this be similar?!?!?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Cuz I've seen a couple of guys saying "what about Disney+ and or XD for cross promotion's sake?"

Yeah, not really. There's no way Pokémon is going to be on Disney Plus. Disney Plus is a platform for Disney-owned content. Disney does not own Pokémon, they just have the rights to air it on TV.

The last time that a movie premiered on a platform other than the current dub platform (Movie 19 premiering on Disney XD while season 19 was still airing on Cartoon Network) it indicated a shift in airing platform for the main dub. The next season was on Disney XD. Could this be similar?!?!?

I don't think so. The only reason Pokémon would air on Netflix instead of TV would be as a last resort when no channel would pick up the rights to air it. With Pokémon being the cash cow that it is, I highly doubt that Disney would want to give up the rights to air it, especially it being the central focus of their anime block on Disney XD.

Then again, I said something similar about the Yu-Gi-Oh dub airing on Nicktoons, but we've been without Yu-Gi-Oh on American television for several years now, putting us an entire series behind Japan, and half a series behind the rest of the dub world. Still, Yu-Gi-Oh isn't quite the high profile franchise that Pokémon is. I would be absolutely shocked if Pokémon ran into trouble finding a channel to air on.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Children have no right to comment on the stuff they like.

Wait, wh-?

Children have no right being on YouTube to begin with. Hence the COPPA crap leading to YouTube's algorithm screwing everything up. Again.

Trey pokes

I know a lot of people will be curious about the Dub's script/dialogue. Since this is a diffrent company doing the dubbing and not 4Kids.

Red and Blue

I know a lot of people will be curious about the Dub's script/dialogue. Since this is a diffrent company doing the dubbing and not 4Kids.
I just hope they keep Mew's original dialogue about the natural Pokemon being superior to their clones faithful to the original text.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I find it a bit baffling that Sarah Natochenny is STILL getting hate even though she's been voicing Ash longer than Veronica Taylor did.
Sarah's take is very off when compared to Veronica's way more fitting take which absolutely passes off as a 10-year old. Sarah would (probably) have a much better time voicing an 18-year old. Preferably a girl.

Way too many voice actors are miscast or simply don't put the right effort into their roles. This is so not Deluxe or Cup of Tea Productions-level.

Rune Knight

I find it a bit baffling that Sarah Natochenny is STILL getting hate even though she's been voicing Ash longer than Veronica Taylor did.

Not only that, but Natochenny has improved immensely over time. If you compare the quality of her Battle Frontier voice with the XY/SM series, it's like night and day.

I personally believe that it is a product of bias ideology similar to those exhibited by gen-wunners. I'm not against people who praise Veronica's performance over Sarah's; what I am against are these narrow minded people trying to belittle or downplay a certain individual's genuine by comparing them to someone else.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I personally believe that it is a product of bias ideology similar to those exhibited by gen-wunners. I'm not against people who praise Veronica's performance over Sarah's; what I am against are these narrow minded people trying to belittle or downplay a certain individual's genuine by comparing them to someone else.
I guarantee you that gen-wunners couldn't care less about the anime but mind the games. (Personally, I've never seen the term "gen-wunners" used for the anime.)

I grew up with the Latin American dub, and the only times I heard Ash talk in English by Veronica, he sounded so well. When Sarah took the reigns, well, it was and still is a rocky change.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:

Time has nothing to do with it in my case. I personally just feel that despite her improvement, her dubbing work still isn't as vigorous as Veronica Taylor's. Of course I'll always prefer Rica Matsumoto over either of Satoshi's English voice actresses anyway, but I occasionally watch the dubbed version of important episodes out of curiosity, and I've yet to be impressed by anything Sarah Natochenny has done in her role as Satoshi's voice actress.

That aside, I don't actually plan to watch the English dub of this movie anyway since I found the English dub of the first Mewtwo movie to be horrific, and I don't expect any improvement the second time around with this rehash unless the entire script is redone, and even then I'd still be apprehensive about the English vocal work, particularly Kasumi's English voice and the English voices of the Rocket-dan trio since I find them all grating.

Rune Knight

I guarantee you that gen-wunners couldn't care less about the anime but mind the games. (Personally, I've never seen the term "gen-wunners" used for the anime.)

I grew up with the Latin American dub, and the only times I heard Ash talk in English by Veronica, he sounded so well. When Sarah took the reigns, well, it was and still is a rocky change.

I was just comparing the similarities; although this wasn't in my original statement, I would argue that some gen-wunners act the way they do also because of 4kid's iteration of the first few seasons of the anime; more specifically they'll just bash anything outside of gen 1 (and gen 2 in some cases).

Coincidentally, my first introduction to the first movie was in the latin dub.

Still have that intro song stuck in my head.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
That aside, I don't actually plan to watch the English dub of this movie anyway since I found the English dub of the first Mewtwo movie to be horrific, and I don't expect any improvement the second time around with this rehash unless the entire script is redone, and even then I'd still be apprehensive about the English vocal work, particularly Kasumi's English voice and the English voices of the Rocket-dan trio since I find them all grating.
It was speculated that the subtitled screening on AnimeExpo was using an early draft of the dub script, in which case the dub is largely faithful to the Japanese albeit with a few 4Kids-isms thrown in for... nostalgia I guess? (Note that this included Mew still going "True power comes from the heart" or whatever it was instead of its much more blunt and aggressive "We're better than you because you're fake and we're real" line from the original.) The dub trailer would seem to back this up, as I actually did recognize quite a few lines as being direct translations. So I think it's fairly obvious we are, at the very least, getting a dub that's closer to the JP than what 4Kids did.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
What do you guys think about the 4Kids music? Will they use the iconic themes or copyright and all unallows it?