• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm completly OK with Mimikyu staying. Its obsessive rivalry with Pikachu brought a different and interesting dynamic between Ash and the Rockets.

Mareanie I don't care so much so I don't mind if she's released.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
I think Ash could probably meet Leon at the end of SuMo especially if Ash ends up winning the Alola league. Him meeting another champion sounds like something that would make him want to test his skills at another league.

Dande appearing at the end of the SM saga to motivate Satoshi to visit Galar would make sense I suppose. I just wouldn't want them to battle each other in that scenario however, because I get the feeling that if they were to face each other, the writers would almost certainly have Satoshi lose just to make a point about Dande's superiority.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Also, Mimikyu would flat out murder all the Pikachu Giovanni has at the HQ lol He wouldn't want her

Only reason I’m against bringing over their current party is because, aside from Wobbufett, Mime Jr. & Seviper (who eventually got bound to TR’s base), all of their crossovers have been released in some fashion

Well Mimikyu's basically safe from release if she stays. Mimikyu is extremely popular in general
I don't see any reason Mareanie needs to go, plus it'd be a waste if she evolves fighting Jessie. Her staying can let James' Galar Pokemon have more personality than being strictly a gag

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Dande appearing at the end of the SM saga to motivate Satoshi to visit Galar would make sense I suppose. I just wouldn't want them to battle each other in that scenario however, because I get the feeling that if they were to face each other, the writers would almost certainly have Satoshi lose just to make a point about Dande's superiority.
That's a point I can't see they change, it's the need of hype the next gen. It would be interesting see Ash actually doing well against a pokemon he never saw without job to it. Between a dynamax/gigantamax and a z-move, I think both are tied.

Anyway, I could see Oleana or even Sonia scouting some trainers worth of sponsor instead Rose. I know the new politics is have whatever is the current gimmick locked to the region, but it would be nice if Lusamine sponsors Ash in Galar if ever comes to that.

johno1995

I think having Bea and Allister accompany Ash would be interesting, if we go the gym leader route again. I’m mostly biased because I’d like to see an awesome underused Pokémon like Hitmontop on the main cast, but I also think it would be an interesting way to conquer the exclusive gym leader debacle, by having them both on the main cast and incorporating that exclusivity into the storyline.

PLUS they are both interesting designs and have the potential to have fun chemistry with Ash. Allister’s mask gimmick would be fun, especially if the show keeps some elements of SM humor. It would be interesting to have a shy companion, a serious one in Bea and then Ash as his normal fired up self. I want fun character dynamics and I think these three have the potential to allow that, if the SwSh anime goes for the more traditional route with companions.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
johno1995 said:
PLUS they are both interesting designs and have the potential to have fun chemistry with Ash. Allister’s mask gimmick would be fun, especially if the show keeps some elements of SM humor. It would be interesting to have a shy companion, a serious one in Bea and then Ash as his normal fired up self. I want fun character dynamics and I think these three have the potential to allow that, if the SwSh anime goes for the more traditional route with companions.

I'd argue that their designs aren't exactly fitting for the cast, especially Onion's. The fact that he looks like something out of a Halloween movie just doesn't seem suitable for the cast from my viewpoint, and Saito to me seems like she'd be a tough character and might be portrayed as stoic, which I don't think would work well either.

PreschoolerFromNowhere

I starting to believe Bea will become one of Ash party after the new post in Pokemon facebook which said Bea is a sweet tooth and this information didn't show in US or JP web before and i don't see if this can come into play in game but anime can work well with this ...

(Unless she leave she gym and you have to go to the sweet shop and tell her to go back to the freaking gym and do your job(lol) while for ghost boy you have to go and look for him in the cemeterie)

just noticed it and i have to note that in mind...

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I'd argue that their designs aren't exactly fitting for the cast, especially Onion's. The fact that he looks like something out of a Halloween movie just doesn't seem suitable for the cast from my viewpoint, and Saito to me seems like she'd be a tough character and might be portrayed as stoic, which I don't think would work well either.
Wouldn't it be new, though? The stoic/serious character is generally played as the rival or someone in need of mellow down and would be an interesting contrast to the usual happy go lucky gang. But, to be totally honest, I doesn't trust in the writers to do right a character's personality, not a little bit.

I think there's a challenge adapting the Gen I artwork in a way that still looks good. Ash and Jessie in particular have design quirks designed to stand out in a 1990s landscape, and those unique characteristics (such as the thunderbolt-shaped dimples and hair) don't translate well across styles when other nuances are lost.

But Ash and Jessie's struggles across design changes suggest a tweak here and there wouldn't be enough. I think the Sun/Moon artstyle is a huge step up from XY but those two need makeovers.

It's probably only me, but Ash's and Team Rocket's designs were kinda improved in SM. Ash spent two sagas with that horrible big flashy eyes, so, while his features became too round and lean in SM, his design in general looks more...right. Jessie and James finaly looks more as young adults instead by their fifteen, they are fine as they are now.

Whatever is SWSH design choice, I hope they keep things SM got right about designs, but less...wacky.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Anyway, I could see Oleana or even Sonia scouting some trainers worth of sponsor instead Rose. I know the new politics is have whatever is the current gimmick locked to the region, but it would be nice if Lusamine sponsors Ash in Galar if ever comes to that.

Well, if Lusamine has money to waste on the whole Ultra Guardians' trash, it only makes sense she'd spare some to sponsor Ash.

ShadowForce720

Well, if Lusamine has money to waste on the whole Ultra Guardians' trash, it only makes sense she'd spare some to sponsor Ash.

The problem with that theory is that we don't know if someone outside of sponsoring a trainer allows that trainer to enter the league, or if person sponsoring the trainer has to be someone from Galar who is important. Because if for Ash to enter the Galar league needs someone from Galar to sponsor him then that would eliminate any possibility of Lusamine sponsoring him since she's not from Galar.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PreschoolerFromNowhere said:
I starting to believe Bea will become one of Ash party after the new post in Pokemon facebook which said Bea is a sweet tooth and this information didn't show in US or JP web before and i don't see if this can come into play in game but anime can work well with this ...

I'm not sure why that fact about her would imply that she might join the cast, though. She could have a sweet tooth in the games just like Sumomo had a big appetite, but that doesn't necessarily have to carry over into the anime.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I just hope the anime is done like a sports/drama series. With the league finally having relevance it would be nice for the anime to really give more focus to it. Up until now the league in the games has never had much plot. I mean it always felt odd you got the badges and jumped into battling the E4 without something in between. One thing I really hope they drop is being super cute and feeling dumbed down. I've noticed since BW the series is very handholding for the people watching while prior sure friends mattered a lot but it did not feel like a preschool show.

As f or battles it would be great if they only showed text for the attacks if they do a certain thing over having commentary taking you out of the action. I know shonen anime used to do the same thing but recently shows have got a bit better like with MHA how they don't explain a person's quirk every time they use it.

As for gym leaders being with Ash if the league is so big that could create people thinking they favor Ash and if he does make it to the league people might think it is rigged due to his friendship with gym leaders being close to him. (Which could make for an interesting plot point)

Giving a full on redesign to Ash would be so nice. I don't mean art I mean actually look. Like use the excuse the handheld era is over and this Ash is new and different.

Zoruagible

(Unless she leave she gym and you have to go to the sweet shop and tell her to go back to the freaking gym and do your job(lol) while for ghost boy you have to go and look for him in the cemeterie)

just noticed it and i have to note that in mind...

If so, you can kiss #Scorbunny4Ash goodbye.
Cause it's obviously going to be a Fighting type, no point trying to live in denial after seeing her ribbons lol
In fact her game counterpart probably actually owns one, like Gardenia and Turtwig in DPP.

lol
That's so true...

Ultra Beast Lover

I wouldn't mind it if the next series is like Yugioh/Future Card Buddyfight/Beyblade/Beywheels, their style of storytelling works pretty well with Pokemon. While I loved those anime, some more than others, the writers often have to cheat so the protagonist can win. Sure, Pokemon does it to with the moves the games won't let us do but I can't fault them to much for it since they don't do it as much anymore and sometimes the writers cheat so Ash can lose so it balances out. And the other anime often don't even have workable strategies for the real game, since the Pokemon anime isn't turn based they have to use strategies we can't in the games but 99 percent of the time the staff stays true to a Pokemon's abilities/moves/usually type so we can work with what they show us.

Also, if the saga goes the same route as the other anime, I can officially add it to the "Heart of the (blank)" list.

Master Pikachu 11

If so, you can kiss #Scorbunny4Ash goodbye.
Cause it's obviously going to be a Fighting type, no point trying to live in denial after seeing her ribbons lol
In fact her game counterpart probably actually owns one, like Gardenia and Turtwig in DPP.

lol
That's so true...
Not necessarily, just because she has potential to be a companion of Ash’s doesn’t mean that she will be the one that owns Scorbunny, it would be the same as with Misty when she was a companion that she never ended up with either Squirtle or Totodile. So I expect Ash to still have a chance to have Scorbunny as one of his starters even if Bea ends up being a companion.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Not necessarily, just because she has potential to be a companion of Ash’s doesn’t mean that she will be the one that owns Scorbunny, it would be the same as with Misty when she was a companion that she never ended up with either Squirtle or Totodile. So I expect Ash to still have a chance to have Scorbunny as one of his starters even if Bea ends up being a companion.

Misty was robbed of Totodile

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

Zoruagible

If she owns Scorbunny in the games, chances are she'd own it.
After all, there aren't that many marketable fighting types out there.

I just hope no matter what, if she's on the cast... they let her keep Hitmontop. Been so long since Johto's had any rep in the anime apart from Wobbuffett, Smeargle was robbed by Eevee...

Status
Not open for further replies.