• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
We could have something similar to the Kirby anime maybe?

From Kirby Wiki:
"The series is animated with combined 3DCG and traditional 2D drawings, and as a result, animators were able to use a much higher framerate than most television anime, anywhere from 1.5-3x more on average. About 10,000 frames are used in each episode, compared to the 4000-5000 used by most TV anime of the same length. CGI is most often used on Kirby, King Dedede, Escargoon, Dyna Blade, and certain Nightmare Enterprises monsters. However, in scenes or shots where CGI would not make sense (such as if a CGI character were to physically touch or grab a hand-drawn character), they are usually instead in the same 2D style as the other characters, though such an occurrence is relatively rare)."

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The Kirby anime was a biiiiiiiiiiiit too weird with the constant shift between 3DCG and 2D drawings (and the rather huge alterations to the Kirby backstory formula...and all the polarizing decisions 4Kids did to it).

I'm not ready, or ever will be ready, for Mewtwo Strikes Back CGI Ash.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I'm not much into anime, so don't take me serious on that matter.

But, the franchise has literally doubled up its fortune since 2016 via GO and many more assets including but not limited to; SM/USUM, LGPE and mobile apps. They must be aware SM's humor was not for everyone and hopefully took the feedback into consideration to work with a different animation team with higher budget, to create XY-like quality of production once again.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
The Kirby anime was a biiiiiiiiiiiit too weird with the constant shift between 3DCG and 2D drawings (and the rather huge alterations to the Kirby backstory formula...and all the polarizing decisions 4Kids did to it).

I'm not ready, or ever will be ready, for Mewtwo Strikes Back CGI Ash.
A change to full 3d CGI would make XY>SM look like OS>AG

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
The only thing I'm seeing there about Sword & Shield is just a general statement about how people who really, really love Sun & Moon and don't want it to end, might not be as receptive to the new series. I mean, it's entirely possible that I'm missing something here as I've just been skimming his comments, but I see literally nothing about Swish in his tweets, and the afforementioned "Sun & Moon's hardcore fans might not want to leave" thing was only in the image included in the first tweet...

You’ve got it right that he talks about how SwSh might not be everyone’s taste, and how it might take them some time to readjust to the series after SM. But you can see he’s talking about SwSh’s animation and not just the general series as he uses descriptive terms to describe the ‘appearance’ of the series (paraphrasing, but “if they think the SwSh series is ugly” was a sentiment he tweeted). As he’s an animator, it wouldn’t make much sense for him to be talking about the direction or other aspects of the series if he likely worked on animating the SwSh episodes completed so far.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Personally, I can see Ash's relationship with Marnie being a mix between his interactions with Gladion and the Prince Yuki Fanclub from Fruits Basket. Even though he occasionally sees Marnie as threat and a serious rival, they'll still be on good terms and treat each other as friends/acquaintances from time to time; however, much like how Yuki's fangirls go out of their way to torture Tohru, Team Yell will go above & beyond to harass Ash and keep him away from Marnie whenever he so much as looks at her.

If the show does go this route, it could be a funny spin on the classic fan club/obsessive groupie trope we've seen in other anime.

I hope they go back to the OS-DP art style
Heck, as long as they don't full nightmare-inducing CGI like the Mewtwo remake, I'd be fine with the moe style from The Power of Us.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
People swore to god that Ashimari was gonna be Pochama/Harimaron/Mijumaru but Mukuroh took that role ironically enough, Ashimari didn’t turn out to be showoffy like the game lore said but simply Suiren’s little cowardly babygirl and she ended up evolving to her final form, getting her signature move/Z-Move and was allowed proper development. Hibunny, Sarunori, and Messon could all easily be gag ‘mon. They’re all round and clearly made for the sake of marketing and look more like baby Pokemon than anything.

Don’t be so quick to count your chicks before they hatch, I see the relief over Satoshi not getting the sea lion became envy later on.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
You can actually see part of Scorbunny's paw on the right side

The whiskers are more noticeable

People swore to god that Ashimari was gonna be Pochama/Harimaron/Mijumaru but Mukuroh took that role ironically enough, Ashimari didn’t turn out to be showoffy like the game lore said but simply Suiren’s little cowardly babygirl and she ended up evolving to her final form, getting her signature move/Z-Move and was allowed proper development. Hibunny, Sarunori, and Messon could all easily be gag ‘mon. They’re all round and clearly made for the sake of marketing and look more like baby Pokemon than anything.

Don’t be so quick to count your chicks before they hatch, I see the relief over Satoshi not getting the sea lion became envy later on.

Envy? I never wanted that on his team
I'm glad it's likely going to be Scorbunny, hopefully this will make the "We don't need another evolved Fire starter!" comments go away, they're super old and tiring. I agree that more Grass and Water starters should evolve, but hating the Fire starter every region isn't how to go about things.

dman_dustin

Under the assumption we get something like 3D or Full CGI, I honestly wouldn't be able to understand why?

I don't know of any popular anime that has full CGI behind it that's super popular (household name) the only popular ones I see these days are the same 2D art styles.

Maybe something like My Hero Academia, maybe something like that could be seen as controversial since its so different than any of the other art styles.

But a series FULLY like Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution? I'd watch it, but I wouldn't enjoy it, not that it would be bad, but I'd honestly perpetually ask, why are you doing this to Pokemon. The games I think necessitated an upgrade from 2d sprites to 3D models, but the anime doesn't need to reflect this.

I'm extremely iffy on changing art styles, I absolutely loathed what that one company did to Digimon that one time, I guess it was different and perhaps opinion wise that might have been a good thing, but it came off as so alienating to the fan base, it was like, here's completely new people working on a franchise you like, but everything feels alien, to make it less Alien here's a fan favorite......Agumon.....NOPE STILL ALIEN, AGUMON just reinforces that opinion, doesn't alleviate it at all..

So I will watch Pokemon (unlike Digimon), but unless the art style is to make it more like the really detailed 2d art styles really popular anime seem to have these days. I don't think I want a CGI Pokemon anime series. I'm fine I guess with movies but I don't want a series. There will be a severe horrible hindrance to how Pokemon are portrayed if its full CGI.

But....whatever.

Remix2

If we’re talking about art styles, then I them to do something similar to my hero academa/ fire force for swsh.

Red and Blue

Would you guys tolerate a 3D animation style if they want back to the old formula and ditched the comedy?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Would you guys tolerate a 3D animation style if they want back to the old formula and ditched the comedy?
No, because they're never gonna pull off 3D humans convincingly for at least the next decade or so.

Decidueye23

I guess the 3d artstyle would realy depend on how M22 was recieved by the audience. I am underinformed about that so if someone knows how it performed and how the overall reception was then please let me know.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I guess the 3d artstyle would realy depend on how M22 was recieved by the audience. I am underinformed about that so if someone knows how it performed and how the overall reception was then please let me know.
It's already outgrossed every Pokémon movie in the past five years. Not sure how it stacks up to anything earlier than that as I got this info off of the front page on Dogasu's site and he only listed back to Hoopa.

Status
Not open for further replies.