• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I am waiting for the next trailer. If there's no other character I think suits Ash as a companion, then I am pretty sure it's going to be Gloria + unmasked Allister.

Also speaking of Allister, they could do another Clemont and have a build up towards Ash's gym battle against Allister, while someone else fights Bea.

Leonhart

Imagineer
mysticalglacia said:
I really like Allister and I think he has potential as a companion, but Bea all around isn’t very appealing to me either. Her design is very blocky and rounded which I think would look awkward in motion

I find it odd that Saito's design is thought to be strange and believed to potentially look awkward when animated given that Onion's official artwork has him doing a slightly hunched pose, which implies that he'd probably be more odd-looking in motion than Saito.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I find it odd that Saito's design is thought to be strange and believed to potentially look awkward when animated given that Onion's official artwork has him doing a slightly hunched pose, which implies that he'd probably be more odd-looking in motion than Saito.

For me it’s just the odd slab of hair and really stilted, Danganronpa sprite-esque position she has in her artwork, which comes off as odd to me. Her animations in the game look great, but I can’t shake the feeling. Allister though does look hunched, but him being smaller and less stiff in-game (with the swaying animation) helps me think he’d be less awkward animated.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Now I wonder if Team Rocket will challange the Galar League and who will be there sponsor if there do?
I bet Jessie will be the one that will try to challange this league like she did both Contests and Showcases.

Could never happen; Even if Mareanie and Mimikyu stay they'd never have a full team between them, since the writers are freaking stupid and never let them get more than one regional capture anymore....

DatsRight

The problem is TR have to stay conveniently weak depending on the situation. I think the writers realised the wall they walked into in BW and SM, since having TR level grind meant having to either write consistently competent TR face offs or keep giving contrived excuses why the twerps win easily anyway. Or you know, TR just forgetting to use their more powerful assets.

Concerning TR though, I'm kinda hoping Jessie gets a loyal powerhouse this series, whether or not she keeps Mimikyu. While her personality was okay in SM, she was conveyed as a pretty incompetent trainer, just leaving her Pokemon or Meowth to do whatever, while in previous series she could at least give competent commands every now and then.

I also wouldn't mind if James got a mascot Pokemon this series as well to keep his team part of the main antics. Again he could keep Mareanie as his battler but maybe have a 'baby' to contrast it. Hell that could be an interesting dynamic if Mareanie gets jealous of it.

Last edited:

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
While her personality was okay in SM, she was conveyed as a pretty incompetent trainer, just leaving her Pokemon or Meowth to do whatever, while in previous series she could at least give competent commands every now and then.

I don't think it's incompetence.

Jessie, James, Ash, Pikachu and Mimikyu have moments where they show a total lack of motivation that is just not present in earlier sagas. For Ash it's usually played as a joke - anything involving thinking or studying, he gets comically agitated and most of his battles end up managed off intuition or experience. Jessie and James spend episodes just lounging around, selling food, or plotting.

I don't think Pikachu has turned down a battle, but he doesn't show nearly the same fire as Rowlet, Torracat or Lycanroc do toward their respective rivals. The entire series feels a little like an extended Pikachu short.

It's definitely an "Alola effect" - the writers use the stationary vacation atmosphere to have the characters idle, which allows them to take a backseat to the other characters and events. TR stepping back and doing so organically was a huge part of what allowed the Alola episodes to be less structured and formulaic.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Concerning TR though, I'm kinda hoping Jessie gets a loyal powerhouse this series, whether or not she keeps Mimikyu. While her personality was okay in SM, she was conveyed as a pretty incompetent trainer, just leaving her Pokemon or Meowth to do whatever, while in previous series she could at least give competent commands every now and then.
The whole point of Musashi’s two only Pokemon is that they do whatever they want, Mimikyu is trying to murder Pikachu so 90% of the time is doing what it wants. She calls Shadow Ball one or two times but after that it’s all Mimikyu, she’s just there for the Z-Move. And she just tells Sonansu to go do something and he uses Mirror Coat/Counter depending on the situation and it’s been that way since the beginning since she clearly doesn’t know what’s suitable to use against what. Kojirou may only have one but at least she clearly loves and will do anything for her trainer.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Could never happen; Even if Mareanie and Mimikyu stay they'd never have a full team between them, since the writers are freaking stupid and never let them get more than one regional capture anymore....

It's always bothered me that Musashi usually has one more Pokemon than Kojirou given that she has Sonansu as an almost permanent mascot and then she catches at least one new Pokemon per region. Kojirou gets stuck with having less Pokemon than her more often than not, as well as having less side activities in general, which I hope changes in the Galar saga.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
They keep using Gloria & Victor/Yūri & Masaru as names for the protagonists and other NPC’s, so those are definitely their canon names. If either one is on the main cast (let’s be real, it’s not Victor), they’d be the first companions from a European or foreign region (excluding Alola) to have Japanese names.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
They keep using Gloria & Victor/Yūri and Masaru as names for the protagonists and other NPC’s, so those are definitely their canon names. If either one is on the main cast (let’s be real, it’s not Victor), they’d be the first companions from a European or foreign region (excluding Alola) to have Japanese names.
I’m fine with those names, they never dethrone “Hilda” and “Hilbert” as being the worst names for protagonist ever.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
They keep using Gloria & Victor/Yūri and Masaru as names for the protagonists and other NPC’s, so those are definitely their canon names. If either one is on the main cast (let’s be real, it’s not Victor), they’d be the first companions from a European or foreign region (excluding Alola) to have Japanese names.
I don't think that Yūri and Masaru are their default names in every localization.

Zoruagible

It's always bothered me that Musashi usually has one more Pokemon than Kojirou given that she has Sonansu as an almost permanent mascot and then she catches at least one new Pokemon per region. Kojirou gets stuck with having less Pokemon than her more often than not, as well as having less side activities in general, which I hope changes in the Galar saga.

Mime Jr should have remained his mascot, it was cute and had a lively personality!
I'd like it if he got a new mascot Pokemon this series, or even simply got him back cause DP remakes

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I am waiting for the next trailer. If there's no other character I think suits Ash as a companion, then I am pretty sure it's going to be Gloria + unmasked Allister.

Also speaking of Allister, they could do another Clemont and have a build up towards Ash's gym battle against Allister, while someone else fights Bea.
Hopefully not, I don't want Clemont-like travelling companion anymore that is same age as Ash. I want Brock/Cilan-like mature companion.
I am just checking; Milo is so far only candidate.

I wonder if SS will continue SM's trend of letting mythicals be officially caught by the protagonists by the way.
I'd say yes if we don't get SHSW movies, instead we get another AU movies. But if we get SHSW movies, legendaries will be in those movies( so Ash and co can interact with them/command them etc. But, I feel we won't get AU movies anymore, just look at BO for those movies, they're better than XY movies but not as much...

Last edited:

Zoruagible

I'd rather never have another 'gym build up' unless said gym leader companion is the last one. To avoid another Clemont situation where he does nothing and suffers from lack of development

And not a 'Oh switch and make that character the final one' I mean the literal final gym leader from the games. Like Iris

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd rather never have another 'gym build up' unless said gym leader companion is the last one. To avoid another Clemont situation where he does nothing and suffers from lack of development

And not a 'Oh switch and make that character the final one' I mean the literal final gym leader from the games. Like Iris
I kind of wished that Iris was the last gym leader in BW, since that would have helped her character storyline. Unfortunately that never happened.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Mime Jr should have remained his mascot, it was cute and had a lively personality!
I'd like it if he got a new mascot Pokemon this series, or even simply got him back cause DP remakes

I agree about Manene given that it was practically Kojirou's version of Sonansu, except less useful in battles. In terms of which currently revealed Pokemon I'd like him to receive in Galar, I'd probably say Himenka unless Yarrow joins the cast and owns a member of the Himenka line.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hopefully not, I don't want Clemont-like travelling companion anymore that is same age as Ash. I want Brock/Cilan-like mature companion.
I am just checking; Milo is so far only candidate.

I'd say yes if we don't get SHSW movies, instead we get another AU movies. But if we get SHSW movies, legendaries will be in those movies( so Ash and co can interact with them/command them etc. But, I feel we won't get AU movies anymore, just look at BO for those movies, they're better than XY movies but not as much...
Mature is a meaningless word whose definition depends on who's saying it. Brock and Cilan were merely older than Ash, and perhaps more levelheaded, but there's a big difference between a cool temper and maturity.

Sham

The Guardian of War
If Iris would of challenged Ash to a Gym battle, that would only worsen the Misty comparisons imo. I think disassociating her with the Opelucid Gym was a necessary evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.