• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Meh, Dawn was the second consecutive coordinator after May so I don't really see the issue here.
And people still compared her to May constantly (despite the fact her Contest goal greatly improved on Contests). People already refer to Iris as a “poor mans Misty” and I feel like copying her by allowing Ash to battle her would of just fueled it more. Sure she’s based off a Gym leader (really she is/was in just one of the games canons out of the four games released in Gen 5) but I think disassociating her with it helped her become her own character.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
TheWanderingMist said:
Mature is a meaningless word whose definition depends on who's saying it. Brock and Cilan were merely older than Ash, and perhaps more levelheaded, but there's a big difference between a cool temper and maturity.

In Takeshi's case, he wasn't very mature despite his age since he would often lose focus and flirt with any pretty girl that he encountered. Personally, if someone older like Yarrow joins the cast, I hope he'll be more like Citron than Takeshi. Citron had quirks, but managed to stay relatively important up until the Miare Gym, so I'd want another character who is more like him.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Clemont was a great step in the right direction, independent if you like his development or no, same as Kiawe and maybe Sophocles. I'd like to see another similar companion, but we need to know the other gym leaders.

I'm at least curious if they'll back to the old journey formula and rework things like a hub location as Melemele (which is a good idea, but since the cast doesn't stay too stationary at the said hub).

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I think a ‘hub’ location would work very well- particularly in the Industrial City- but I don’t want them to stagnate in it too much; that became a problem with MeleMele basically stealing focus from the other islands. I think a better way to build upon that would be for Ash and co. to go back to the journeying formula, but spend larger amounts of time in Cities and Towns (mini-arcs of 3-6 episodes I feel would be perfect). Since Galar is only looking to have about 10/11 towns, they should have no problem incorporating that sort of focus into the series.

Lightning Bolt

Clemont was a great character...UNTIL his gym battle with Satoshi. After that, he became as stale as Brock in some DP episodes. It also doesn't help the writers just gave him a Luxray so he could act like a badass in the gym battle. It didn't promote anything, evolved faster than Mallow's Bounsweet (which is not a good thing btw) and was pretty much useless. Soph's Vikavolt became a bit stale in Ultra Adventures, but the writers at least managed a decent development with it's "mini arc" post evo. I hope Satoshi's male companion in Galar (if he has one ofc) is a mix of Kiawe (being a comedic relief in lighthearted moments, but a serious and powerful battler overall) and Soph (post Charjabug capture)/Clemont (pre gym battle). I pray to god Milo isn't a companion tho. I don't like his design and I know the writers will turn him in a Brock 4.0. Allister looks a bit too odd for Pokémon standards. Victor would be interesting but unlikely.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I just pray if Gloria becomes a female companion they use whatever side quest is in the games and don’t take it upon themselves to wing it.

Honestly though, will there even be side quests in this game? We’re three months away from the release date, and we still haven’t gotten anything regarding side activities aside from Poké Jobs, which don’t involve the trainer at all and can’t be used as a solid ‘goal’. Battle Royals were revealed around E3, and those ended up being the main “side quest” for SM. There’s still plenty of time to reveal more info, but I have a feeling they’re just going to make stuff up with Contests 3.0 or something similar.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Honestly though, will there even be side quests in this game? We’re three months away from the release date, and we still haven’t gotten anything regarding side activities aside from Poké Jobs, which don’t involve the trainer at all and can’t be used as a solid ‘goal’. Battle Royals were revealed around E3, and those ended up being the main “side quest” for SM. There’s still plenty of time to reveal more info, but I have a feeling they’re just going to make stuff up with Contests 3.0 or something similar.
I guess it could be also dependent on when Contests, Pokémon musicals and Sky battles were revealed. If they have to make up something however than they need to just go for the Gym leader option to be honest.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Another contest-like goal would probably end up worse than the last time they tried remaking them. I'd rather have just another one type master goal than to get something sexist again.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Having a Pokegirl compete in a sport related event could be interesting. I especially liked the ski episode in SM.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
If they do need to invent a goal, I’d love to see it be sports based. Like Showcases, there could be rounds of different sports each time, but could include battles where the Pokémon have to fight in different environments (eg. a pool, ice rink, baseball field, etc.) or play the designated sport while battling. Something essentially like a Pokéathlon would certainly fit the glory/victory theme of SwSh, and there’s a lot of fun ideas they could play around with.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Pokesports has a lot of potential, just adapt various themes from the Pokeathlon and bam! You've got a goal!
One that is Pokemon focused, is unique than anything a previous companion had, and if they want the trainer could even get involved in the exercises. It also allows for both genders to enter, meaning the rivals don't have to be all of the same sex again. Ash is most likely gonna have a female rival, so I'd very much like it if the female could have a male one again. Perhaps even another 'Nando' situation too where somebody tries to do both that and gyms

JC317

I actually think PokeJobs have a lot of potential to be the main activity for the new Pokegirl.

Say the family of the new Pokegirl is in financial trouble, so the new Pokegirl takes it upon herself to try and help by taking on PokeJobs to relieve some of the pressure on her family. Ash and other travel companion/s would also try and help with the PokeJobs, and that would be several filler episodes done and done. Since there is a large variety of PokeJobs, the writers can be really creative with how they approach this new sidequest.

While what we know about PokeJobs say that they only reward experience points and occasionally rare items, I think the anime can take liberties and say the new Pokegirl would get money instead. A poor character is a pretty common character archetype in anime, so I think making one of the main characters of Pokemon SwSh would not be that out-of-place.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I actually think PokeJobs have a lot of potential to be the main activity for the new Pokegirl.

Say the family of the new Pokegirl is in financial trouble, so the new Pokegirl takes it upon herself to try and help by taking on PokeJobs to relieve some of the pressure on her family. Ash and other travel companion/s would also try and help with the PokeJobs, and that would be several filler episodes done and done. Since there is a large variety of PokeJobs, the writers can be really creative with how they approach this new sidequest.

While what we know about PokeJobs say that they only reward experience points and occasionally rare items, I think the anime can take liberties and say the new Pokegirl would get money instead. A poor character is a pretty common character archetype in anime, so I think making one of the main characters of Pokemon SwSh would not be that out-of-place.

If they brought in a poor character, it'd be nice if they could have Jessie relate and give reference to her backstory which is hardly touched upon compared to the other two members of the TRio. That backstory is what makes her(And James/Meowth) so likeable

Moonlight Starlight

I say pokemon sports is something new I like to see. Like soccer. Since Galar is base off as London and has a sport which is soccer. I like to see the the pokegirl do sports. And she has that sporty Poke girl in her character. I can see her having a different version goal then not being a gym leader. Which will give her a different story have a different goal of what she wants to do and that happens to be Bea I think would be great as Ash's companion. And I can see Bea getting Scorbunny as her starter Pokemon along with her few fighting type Pokemon as will being a Pokemon soccer team. Also I can see Bea having great fighting with her knees and feet kicking the soccer ball.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think sports will have huge role in this generation, think about it since tokyo is going to host next year's olympics so this region could accomodate some sports here, not to mention britain is birthplace of most of big games like football, tennis, rugby, cricket.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Pokesports has a lot of potential, just adapt various themes from the Pokeathlon and bam! You've got a goal!

Frankly though, after seeing how poorly Pokeathlon was handled in the anime given that the writers couldn't be bothered to involve the activity in more than one episode, I feel that the idea of sports being a theme in the Galar saga might not be as big of a deal as some people think.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
ECF6HCcU0AAQUla.jpg:large

"普通のピッチングフォームとも違う独特のタイミングを再現したくなります"

Iwane postet this yesterday, which could be a hint for the SwSh anime. Need a proper translation though.
Dude just likes to draw many characters is all. Not a hint!

Status
Not open for further replies.