• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I don’t think Marnie owning the Pikachu clone promises her a role as a companion. At end of the day it’s still getting coverage/featured in the anime by being a possible main rival’s Pokémon

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Easy solution for the Marnie and Pikaclone situation.
The Pokegirl's is a shiny, BOOM! First shiny on the cast in years and they got two Pikaclones. Or they could always give Marnie the shiny... but it'd be cool for another main character to have one instead of other characters

The Pikaclone is obviously going to be on the cast no matter what, feels really stupid if they stop when it actually has a stand out personality rather than a Pachirisu with wings(Love Emolga tho), Discount Raichu, or Togedemaru

Even if they did end Ash's journey, new protagonist would still have a Pikachu, because it's the whole company's mascot, not just the anime's.

And that is the sole reason I want the next one to be Ash's kid. Feels less forced if his son/daughter has a Pikachu rather than some random kid in a faraway region

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
We don't need it it is an outddated concept. The series would be fine killing the mascot idea.
I really doubt it. Like, some of the most iconic things in pop culture are food mascots. We don't need mascots for food, and yet, we have them.

Revolver Furious Dragon

However, Marnie is also a Gym Challenger, and they usually refrain from having two of those on the main cast at the same time.

So? Just because they haven't done it before doesn't Mean that they never will. It could be a good change and offer some interesting dynamics on the cast

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
So? Just because they haven't done it before doesn't Mean that they never will. It could be a good change and offer some interesting dynamics on the cast
It sure looks interesting on paper but it remains to be seen if the writers can really deliver that dynamic. Them being greatly toned down and mostly stayed in spectator mode in favor to Ash is the last thing I wanted to see them handled.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
However, that will cause them to have to write all the Gyms being challenged twice, although version exclusive Gyms are now a thing, not all the Gyms will be version exclusive.

Revolver Furious Dragon

However, that will cause them to have to write all the Gyms being challenged twice, although version exclusive Gyms are now a thing, not all the Gyms will be version exclusive.

You say that likes it a bad thing. Giving a bit more focus to gym leaders and there Pokémon can't be a bad thing

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
If Marnie is related to the plot which I think will happen, then her being on the main cast would be a waste. Having two people doing gym battles would become very exhaustive and I think the quality of the gym battles will decrease if that's to happen. And that just for having a companion, who has way more potential as a rival anyway. And they can't alter her goal and make her a coordinator, type master or whatever else if she's probably tied to the Champions Cup and probably Chairman Rose (this is speculation, but I think it's just likely for her to be Rose's daughter).

A rival with ties to the overall plot is better than an unnecessary companion with butchered potential.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I can’t imagine having double gym challengers on the main cast just because you essentially are going to see the exact same set of Pokemon get defeated twice and on top of that the battles would have to both be written uniquely enough. That would mean Mary would need to have three battle active and ready Pokemon to beat a gym leader Satoshi just beat already. Add to the fact that she’s already probably got a goal tied to the main meat of SS, it’s just sounds like an unlikely scenario. I don’t see Mary making it to the cast unless they remove this Champion goal.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Yeah, Marnie being a companion is unlikely for that very reason. Two people attempting Gyms would get stale very fast, and if you remove her Champion goal, what incentive does Team Yell have to follow her around and promote her? We need a female rival who’ll give Ash some competition and not be used as secondary fodder.

D

Deleted member 384931

The problem is: how more rival on the games, how difficult to give all of them screentime in the animé. 3 are many rivals.

Revolver Furious Dragon

It absolutely would. It would be insanely repetitive, for both the writers and the viewers.

In your opinion maybe. I would welcome the chance to see the gym leaders and there Pokémon in more battles. They could do stuff like change up there strategy for the second battles since the companion will have already seen ash's battles

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
It worked with trials because the writers could insert their own stuff. Also there wasn’t a certain criteria for trials, all Satoshi wanted to do was fight the Grand Trials and he did that. Suiren was allowed the Totem Yowashi fight, TRio got a fight against Totem Koratta, the anime made up its own trials. They can’t really do that anymore. We’re back to get 8 badges —-> go job to the league. I just hope the writers continue with S&M’s improvements of giving companions agency outside of just battles.

D

Deleted member 384931

Or they will give the rivals gum badges which don't exist in the games

Status
Not open for further replies.