• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

He's not going to be alone though. He'll have Pikachu and Rotom (who can talk human) and all his other Pokemon. Plus there will still be characters of the day and the supporting cast like Gym Leaders and Rivals. And let's not forget Team Rocket.

Frankly, if there was one thing I liked about Alola was how much time Ash's team spent out of their balls. If losing companions means we can get more of that I'll be all for it. I'm here for the Pokemon not the humans.

Plus the fact we'll be focusing on the other regions too. If there going to focus on all these characters they're going to have to cut corners somewhere. I figure it'll all balance out.

Squirtle, Kingler and Lapras; Oshawott and Palpitoad. Plus as the bird it would have the Flying type spot. So I wouldn't worry.

You know if you look at the bird pokemon that he has caught that has a starter type and the starter type he skips since X&Y break down like this:

X&Y: Skips getting a Grass type and winds up getting the regional bird which when it evolves becomes a Fire type pokemon.
Sun&Moon: Skips getting a Water type and winds up getting a bird which happens to be the Grass type starter.

So if this trend were to continue then it would mean that he would get a bird pokemon that is part Water type and would skip out on getting a Fire type for the gen 8 anime. So Cramorant could be a potential candidate that being said, it's easily possible for this trend to break.

World Turtle

You know if you look at the bird pokemon that he has caught that has a starter type and the starter type he skips since X&Y break down like this:

X&Y: Skips getting a Grass type and winds up getting the regional bird which when it evolves becomes a Fire type pokemon.
Sun&Moon: Skips getting a Water type and winds up getting a bird which happens to be the Grass type starter.

So if this trend were to continue then it would mean that he would get a bird pokemon that is part Water type and would skip out on getting a Fire type for the gen 8 anime. So Cramorant could be a potential candidate that being said, it's easily possible for this trend to break.

It gets confusing because of that other pattern

AG: 1 Starter
DP: 2 Starters
BW: 3 Starters
XY: 1 Starter
SM: 2 Starters
SS: ...3 Starters?

The fact that this is apparently the start of a "new era" and them going back to the 1997 logo might mean they'll have Ash skip the Fire type next region if they want to pander to nostalgia and give Ash all 3 Starters again for Galar.

So which will they do? I don't know, but if there is any truth to the patterns one that I would like to see continue is for Ash to get the pseudo-legendary again like he did the last two even number generations (Gible, Goodra). Mainly because I want to see him get another Dragon type.

Also because if it is Duraludon then he is 1 a Dragon Knight being Steel/Dragon which is awesome and 2 the rivalry with Tyranitar suggests he can be seen as the MechaGodzilla to Tyranitar's Godzilla which is also awesome.

If Ash does end up getting Cramorant I hope its just an awkward middle stage and he has a final stage with a more "Ash-Bird" look. If not well he's probably going to be the comic relief of the team.

I want Ash to travel alone for a change. I know it'll never happen, but I'd like if it was him just traveling with his Pokemon and meeting new people and seeing new things along the way

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
The main reason why I can't see Ash having Cramorant is because the ability means he would have to use Surf over a body of water, which is too situational.

Sure, it can fish up Pokemon on land in the games, but there's a difference between that and it working in the anime too.

ShadowForce720

The main reason why I can't see Ash having Cramorant is because the ability means he would have to use Surf over a body of water, which is too situational.

Sure, it can fish up Pokemon on land in the games, but there's a difference between that and it working in the anime too.

There is an easy solution and that is when ever it uses Surf on Land in the anime and it's not near water it winds up scooping up Ash's Pikachu or another nearby pokemon.

Revolver Furious Dragon

Something I really hope they do is the gyms like they are in game.

Instead of just going in and challenging the gym leader instead they have to face other trainers or solve a puzzle to earn the right to face the leader.

I know they have done it a couple of times in the anime but I'd like to see it will all the gyms

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
He's not going to be alone though. He'll have Pikachu and Rotom (who can talk human) and all his other Pokemon. Plus there will still be characters of the day and the supporting cast like Gym Leaders and Rivals. And let's not forget Team Rocket.
It would get stale and boring without companions, and there will be a lot more filler episodes that way.

World Turtle

It would get stale and boring without companions, and there will be a lot more filler episodes that way.

Except Ash isn't going to be alone: he'll have Pikachu, Rotom, his other Pokemon, the TRio, and the game's supporting cast of rivals, professors, gym leaders, Team Yell, Leon, Chairman Rose, etc. to interact with.

I can see him with maybe one companion, but still he won't be by himself. He'll be interacting with someone human or pokemon every episode to play off of. Maybe they'll rotate through the support cast every couple of episodes to keep things interesting?

And given this next anime is going to somehow include all the regions. We'll be getting a lot of filler either way when they do episodes focused on other regions and nothing to do with Gen 8.

Like I really want to know what kind of set up they have planned to focus on all the regions.
Are they five minute shorts at the end of each episode? Or will they be entire episodes dedicated to stuff going on in Kanto, Johto, etc. and the characters there because if it is the latter they better reduce Ash's companions to one or none.

This anime has never been good at handling loads and loads of characters. Some will always get the short end of the stick. Of course having multiple storylines going on at the same time might keep things interesting since we wouldn't always be following Ash on his journey every episode.

Last edited:

johno1995

I feel if we have Ash interacting with his team out of their balls more, and having multiple storylines in other regions occurring, companions wouldn’t be necessary. The other regions would have characters to feature...And we’d have more potential for Ash’s Pokémon to have defined personalities and proper development.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I feel if we have Ash interacting with his team out of their balls more, and having multiple storylines in other regions occurring, companions wouldn’t be necessary. The other regions would have characters to feature...And we’d have more potential for Ash’s Pokémon to have defined personalities and proper development.
Except we don't know how exactly the other regions will be implemented.

World Turtle

This. I want this so badly. I'm here for the Pokemon.

Also, yeah that's why I'm unsure about companions if we're going to be jumping around to characters in other regions. Wouldn't they fill in for companion or COTD centric episodes?

Plus Bede, Hop, and Marnie (the new rivals) all appear to have their own storylines to add to the Galar plot.

Of course there is the "Will Ash be replaced in Gen 8?" question to take into account. I hope the reveal on the 29th answers these questions.

nuzamaki90

Except we don't know how exactly the other regions will be implemented.
Which is why he’s offering his take on how he thinks they’ll be handled. Jeez guy, lighten up a bit lol

And again I might add, the episodes where Ash and his Pokémon are the main focus and doing their own thing have been my favorite episodes of any saga because of how well handled and paced they are. We’ve gotten a few of them in SM and they’ve also been pretty great. Its way more interesting and entertaining to watch Ash and his team hang and solve a problem together because we get to see sides of the characters we don’t often get to see as much if the companions and their Pokémon were included.

And it’s not like he ALWAYS has to be alone. In Galar where all the trainers are actively competing against each other, he’s bound to encounter characters like Marnie, Hop, Gloria, etc. where he can group up with them for a good few span of episodes.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Which is why he’s offering his take on how he thinks they’ll be handled. Jeez guy, lighten up a bit lol

And again I might add, the episodes where Ash and his Pokémon are the main focus and doing their own thing have been my favorite episodes of any saga because of how well handled and paced they are. We’ve gotten a few of them in SM and they’ve also been pretty great. Its way more interesting and entertaining to watch Ash and his team hang and solve a problem together because we get to see sides of the characters we don’t often get to see as much if the companions and their Pokémon were included.

And it’s not like he ALWAYS has to be alone. In Galar where all the trainers are actively competing against each other, he’s bound to encounter characters like Marnie, Hop, Gloria, etc. where he can group up with them for a good few span of episodes.
Also, an Ash without companions would lead to there being more filler episodes because they could have otherwise used those episodes to develop the companions and their Pokemon.

World Turtle

Also, an Ash without companions would lead to there being more filler episodes because they could have otherwise used those episodes to develop the companions and their Pokemon.

If we're getting entire episodes with storylines focused on characters in other regions that have nothing to do with Galar we're already getting more filler by default.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

How would the anime be without Team Rocket? Or Ash, how would that work? I don't expect Ash and Trio to be replaced, but it has to happen once.

World Turtle

I'm rounding here so let's say we have 144 episodes divide that by 8 and we get 18 episodes for each region. That is obviously not going to work. Seeing as Ash did Kanto in 80 episodes. Maybe they could do something like that? Give half (more or less) of Generation 8 to Ash and give half to the other regions? Between Ash, his pokemon, JJM, and the Galar supporting cast I'm sure they can keep things interesting for that long.

D

Deleted member 384931

I'm rounding here so let's say we have 144 episodes divide that by 8 and we get 18 episodes for each region. That is obviously not going to work. Seeing as Ash did Kanto in 80 episodes. Maybe they could do something like that? Give half (more or less) of Generation 8 to Ash and give half to the other regions? Between Ash, his pokemon, JJM, and the Galar supporting cast I'm sure they can keep things interesting for that long.
How will they handle all of that in a proper way with enough development for Ash, new companions, old companions and new or old Pokémon?

World Turtle

How will they handle all of that in a proper way with enough development for Ash, new companions, old companions and new or old Pokémon?

Idk, I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they intend to cover all the regions.
Giving Galar at least or over half the usual number of episodes each series gets while dividing up the rest amongst the other regions seems to make the most sense to me.

Maybe they'll go for 4 years and reach up to 190-200 episodes? Give Galar half of that and the other regions the other half.

I think once I know what there doing on the 29th I can come up with a better idea for how they intend to pace things.

Though if this is going to be more of a each episode is split between 11-15 minutes of Galar and the remainder going to the "Region of the Day" then I can see him with at least 1 companion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.