• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

The girls' secondaries appeared really late and don't have nearly the same relevance to their trainers as the boys did, their bonds are cute but they're barely looked into development wise. They've only really had one limelight episode. A filler that was shared between them in fact. Magearna at this point might as well end up a COTD on SM.

Unless there genuinely are plans for the Alola cast appearances to continue after SM ends, it feels like they slipped these Pokemon in last minute so the girls didn't come off as overlooked. Might also explain why Mallow got a 'special' Pokemon despite having no promotional purpose.

I do genuinely wonder why they didn't give them any other Pokemon before hand though. Lana had the ideal opportunity for a Dewpider and Mallow likely could have got a Fomantis, it would have also left them far less stagnant during Ultra Adventures. Unless they really didn't want the Pokemon cast to overflow in school scenes though in fairness lots of times not all of them appear.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
johno1995 said:
I do feel we will get some sort of footage/trailer on Sunday, as well as official site reveals. Enough to speculate on, no doubt.

We'll probably see Satoshi and the Galar Starters and maybe Magnolia-hakase, but I have doubts that the whole cast will be shown since that seems like the kind of mystery that they'd want to keep secret for another month just to milk the suspense a bit longer.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It would be nice if this new series was a full fledged series and not made to promote the games but instead use the games as source matierial. Even if they do follow the SwSh having other region plots to fall back on will make this feel like the least forced series. Every pokemon series has been used to promote the games and have has a lot of filler. But if they went with the mindset of knowing the games will see no matter what and they should use the time to focus more on lore and reduce the need for fillers but skipping over to other people's journey this series could have great story telling and maybe the best ever pacing.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The girls' secondaries appeared really late and don't have nearly the same relevance to their trainers as the boys did, their bonds are cute but they're barely looked into development wise. They've only really had one limelight episode. A filler that was shared between them in fact. Magearna at this point might as well end up a COTD on SM.

Unless there genuinely are plans for the Alola cast appearances to continue after SM ends, it feels like they slipped these Pokemon in last minute so the girls didn't come off as overlooked. Might also explain why Mallow got a 'special' Pokemon despite having no promotional purpose.

I do genuinely wonder why they didn't give them any other Pokemon before hand though. Lana had the ideal opportunity for a Dewpider and Mallow likely could have got a Fomantis, it would have also left them far less stagnant during Ultra Adventures. Unless they really didn't want the Pokemon cast to overflow in school scenes though in fairness lots of times not all of them appear.
Well, if they really ARE planning to focus on EVERYONE, leaving Magearna to the next region's anime would at least make sense, because it could possibly be used as some sort of Mohn radar.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well, if they really ARE planning to focus on EVERYONE, leaving Magearna to the next region's anime would at least make sense, because it could possibly be used as some sort of Mohn radar.
However, that would mean that Lillie will stay on the main cast.

TheWanderingMist

However, that would mean that Lillie will stay on the main cast.
Under the assumption that it will probably still mainly focus on Ash, they could just do Lillie episodes now and again to show how the search is going, which would put her more as secondary cast.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't see Lillie returning. Tbh I fear that this all regions thing will only mean something about all the starters that cotds or rivals/recurring characters own and won't have anything else to do with the other regions. I still fully expect the old johto-XY formula to return for the next series *shudders*

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't see Lillie returning. Tbh I fear that this all regions thing will only mean something about all the starters that cotds or rivals/recurring characters own and won't have anything else to do with the other regions. I still fully expect the old johto-XY formula to return for the next series *shudders*
The announcement actually claimed that all the regions will be featured.

TheWanderingMist

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Imagine if this series pleases all the fans. The ani poke fandom being at peace would be a twist.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
You expect too much of the writers and the fanbase
Well it will be the first time the writers sent limited to a single region and can focus on things outside the game

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Just realized something
Since the later generations in the dub are called Pokémon ???: the Series, unless they come up with something brand new the gen 8 anime will probably be called just Pokémon: the Series
It would make a lot of sense and be way more fitting than when used with another title

Well it will be the first time the writers sent limited to a single region and can focus on things outside the game

Competent script writing is already incredibly difficult. Having restraints and limitations can actually improve a show's script because the writers have to work within set restrictions and create something off from a proven formula that has already been shown to work.

SM showed the flaws of what can happen when a series tries to break the formula and fails in many aspects at creating and maintaining a concrete, interesting story. Now I'm not saying Pokemon shouldn't break the formula and not try anything new at all or that SM is bad because it broke the formula

Really, that's me playing devil's advocate here because people should realize that even if Gen 8 was a reboot or a series with all the regions and all the characters to work with, it has maybe even a greater chance of being mediocre and disappointing because it's something entirely different and might require storytelling capabilities not seen before in the anime. There's incredible potential with all the theories being floated around and what could be done, but realizing that there's a possibility that the potential might squandered is something I feel people should know after the numerous times we've been burned by the anime

High hopes, low expectations. It was the motto me and fellow AmourShippers had way back in the AmourShipping threads and I feel like it could be a blanket maxim applied for the general Pokemon anime lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.