• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konja7

there is a small part of me that wonders that, since this new character looks so much like ash is there a plan to get rid of ash and replace him with go

Although it is possible that this "duo of protagonists" is a hint that Ash will loses his protagonist place at the end, I do not think Go would be his replacement.

I would see more possible that "Gen 9 anime" has a totally new protagonist for its season.

Mr-Nightmare_420

Just a dude who enjoys pokemon
I just realized that Snorlax is probably in Dynamax form.

Mr-Nightmare_420

Just a dude who enjoys pokemon
I could see ash and gu as pokemon's version of gon and killua and if that is the case it will have many humour moments.
You're telling me that Ash is gonna go Ash-San on the antagonist? Might be a little too dark, but it would be interesting to see Ash use his arm to end Giovanni or something.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
there is a small part of me that wonders that, since this new character looks so much like ash is there a plan to get rid of ash and replace him with go
Character looks generic while Ash is iconic so it won't happen unless Ash becomes Master. Dawn was also co-star with Ash and Ash wasn't replaced. Funny how people still talk about replacement when Ash wasn't replaced for 22 years and especially now. LMAO

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Character looks generic while Ash is iconic so it won't happen unless Ash becomes Master. Dawn was also co-star with Ash and Ash wasn't replaced. Funny how people still talk about replacement when Ash wasn't replaced for 22 years and especially now. LMAO
But maybe its AU Ash and no the original one?

Rune Knight

The current poster might not be the final one either, rather just a teaser. I'd place it on the same level as the ones we got for XY and BW.

https://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/xy/poster.jpg

https://www.serebii.net/bestwishesbig.jpg (Low Res) (We didn't even know if Ash was returning prior to the actual trailer, aside from some leaked concept art.)

So, a lot of the current information is vague; like whether it's the same Ash / AU Ash / Totally different Ash. There's probably a reason as to why they're holding back.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Changes are not always good, and its subjective..
But sometimes change is necessary especially for an anime like this. Being stagnant can get you only so far! If you don’t at least try to experiment, then what!

J. D. Guy

Although it is possible that this "duo of protagonists" is a hint that Ash will loses his protagonist place at the end, I do not think Go would be his replacement.

I would see more possible that "Gen 9 anime" has a totally new protagonist for its season.
I mean, that never came t0 pass from Dawn, so...

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!

Very much possible. I was thinking the same from the moment we came to know that is will feature all regions. It seems like it will be a conclusion of something. Either it's the character of Ash whose last journey we are going to witness, or maybe last region for pokemon, or maybe I am just thinking too much!!

If they have thought of replacing Ash, then introducing a new main character alongside him for a region is a better option than replacing him all of a sudden. Though I would like Ash to continue his journey till the end of the anime. He is the mascot!

Ultra Beast Lover

I hope Go's a good character, I really don't want the anime to become an empty shell like Yugioh's anime.

Changes are not always good, and its subjective..
True however Pokemon's followed the same formula for years, it was fun but having that same formula all the time gets old. If it was kept how it was no one would want to watch the anime anymore because everyone could predict what was about to happen. Pokemon's having a bad dork age where they're trying to figure out what to do, it'll end in a few years and we'll get something wonderful.

Konja7

I mean, that never came t0 pass from Dawn, so...

Dawn could be called co-protagonist, but (if I'm not mistaken) her role wasn't so different from May. The Contests were secondary to the Gyms and the League.

Go seems to be more central in the current story, since this time seems to be a big focus in traveling 8 regions. Not to mention that he seems to represent the popular Pokemon Go.

Although, as I said, I don't think Go will be the replacement of Satoshi.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

Currently, Pokemon is in no danger of cancellation. While you don't want them getting complacent, having no threat to your existence is the perfect environment for experimentation. It's a chance to bring in new talent, try out new ideas, and maybe create something unique.

I see this new premise as liberating for the show. Adapting each new game as it came out, trying to drag out a 40-hour at best experience into a three year show... I think that was incredibly stiffing. The repetition of it all encouraged stagnation. They could polish it as much as they wanted, maybe tinker a little here and there, but there's only so much that could be done with such a rigid template.

Just as with SM, I love new ideas like this because I can't predict where the show will head, and that's exciting to me. Whereas before you knew Ash would have gym battles at regular intervals, knew he would have a rival of sorts, knew he would get involved with the evil team somehow etc, now I have no idea what he's going to get up to.

DatsRight

Am I the only one who REALLY misses the old formula??? :)

The problem is that after a while the show got REALLY lazy using it. Like two acts of fluff and then a generic TR interruption with no relevance to the rest of the story. The heroes were only sporadically getting stories that gave them any agency and they mostly followed the same tournament arc.

In fairness SM had some old formula episodes just not all the time, if anything the moderation means they put more effort into execution again. The Vikavolt race episode or the Shaymin one in Malie City for example.

Travelling I'm hit and miss about, I admit the rest of Alola could have got more exposure, but I like Ash isn't just walking through loads of generic forest backdrops every episode and is immersing in the place around him. SM had a developed supporting cast instead of loads of interchangeable COTD which was quite entertaining and made Alola feel less arbitrary.

I can understand not wanting a copy of what SM done since that's just repeating the problem potentially, but the show trying new experiments in an attempt to keep things fresh and the universe entertaining I fully support.

Last edited:

game3524

I don't miss the old formula at all.

By the end of XYZ, it was beyond stale and predictable. You want to know how stale the old formula was? Just look the replies through this thread, a good portion of them base what will happen in this series on patterns from OS-XY.

Pokemon is stable enough in which they can try new things and I hope they continue to branch out and try new stuff instead of playing it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.